MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
Apehanger V
Try'n 2 Get da Hang of It

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
Ninja 300

Solo Scouting Runs

Being that I am so new to ( 60 days,3500 miles) riding and having seen the videos of the pace of a lot of the local riders I have decided it best not to impede the progress of much faster riders by staying out of group rides until I am more proficient and comfortable with my bike, skills and the roads. I could probably ride near the back would not want to get lost and or hold up the sweeper from enjoying a more spirited/experienced pace. That said I have done some solo scouting runs on:

FM 149 the Forrest: Nice sweepers with well kept road. Deer on the shoulders though really can make your pucker factor go sky high.

FM1458 & 359: Nothing too tight lots room to run and convetrate on proper form but at my slow pace I can see where much faster bikes coming up from behind may be trouble. Sound travels well to, must be a huge Five O magnet on the weekends. Reserve this one for mid week mid day play.

3090: Much respect to those of you willing to do triple digits on either stretch of this thing. Gravel from the driveways, wildlife crossings, just north of 149 I almost hit a low flying buzzard which took off across my path. I tucked and still saw feathers go across my face shield. The 15mph turn near the northern segment is no joke and there was a lot of gravel( to me anyway, I'm not comfortable yet with grip from my tires yet) in it, bad news if you get into that one too fast because you'll be trying to correct or stop on ball bearings.

FM1291- SO MUCH FUN! by far my favorite so far. I was very nervous about the loose gavel signs but the road seems to have plenty of grip. totally worth the time it takes to get there.

Anyone else do solo scouting runs of "twisty" roads close to Houston before riding with the groups or am I just being paranoid? Any suggestions on which roads I should scout next?

Last edited by Apehanger V; 08-08-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Apehanger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scouting ride in Clear Lake/Kemah EMTAggie Events, Meets and Rides 8 03-01-2011 05:34 AM
scouting: riders for aerial photography GAU-8 Off Topic 27 01-09-2010 02:08 PM
Livingston Route Scouting Trip 8/8/09 brisingr23 Events, Meets and Rides 89 08-08-2009 08:41 PM
Snook scouting party Psyclone Events, Meets and Rides 164 11-23-2008 11:30 PM
Super Secret SwiftE Scouting... Squeaky General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 03-11-2007 08:28 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

You're not being paranoid at all. Recon rides can keep you upright.

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...93&postcount=1
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
Soldaten

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2010 BMW F800 ST
YZ250 (sold)
BMW E30 Race Car
LeMons Race Car (burned)

I've hit two buzzards out in the Chappell Hill - Navasota area! Hit one so hard, it bent my rear view mirror back flat against the body work!.......Quite exhilarating!
Old 08-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
Apehanger V
Try'n 2 Get da Hang of It

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
You're not being paranoid at all. Recon rides can keep you upright.

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...93&postcount=1
Wow that is an awesom article, and link. I didn't even know there was a term for it.... "Recon Ride". I've already been buzzed once by a kid on a GSXR in shorts and a t shirt who passed me on the inside of a turn an off ramp going at least a 100mph faster than me( felt like it anyway). It unsettled me to the point that I felt like I need to be comfortable with the fun roads before getting on them at peak times with other spiritted sportbikers, but this puts it on a whole different level of thinking. Thanks Pinball!
Old 08-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

You're welcome. Keep your eye on the events and rides section and go on a noob ride. Beware the noob-to-moderate rides, though, because those have a tendency to turn moderate+ by the end of the ride. You can get a lot of good experience on group rides. Just don't ride above your skill/comfort level even if the group goes faster.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #6
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

I love doing recon/scout rides... Not for the practice but just for finding new roads and scenery... I often do these recon trips alone as well..

This is the fun of motorcycling..

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
chevy42083

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apehanger V View Post
Wow that is an awesom article, and link. I didn't even know there was a term for it.... "Recon Ride". I've already been buzzed once by a kid on a GSXR in shorts and a t shirt who passed me on the inside of a turn an off ramp going at least a 100mph faster than me( felt like it anyway). It unsettled me to the point that I felt like I need to be comfortable with the fun roads before getting on them at peak times with other spiritted sportbikers, but this puts it on a whole different level of thinking. Thanks Pinball!
I HIGHLY doubt that would happen on any of the group rides. Because they are riding "with" you, they won't ride like a jackass.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #8
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Just to back up what pinball said, never ride above your comfort level. There will be times when you'll be tempted. Resist.
The penalties, especially when riding on the street, are too high.
Save the heroics for a track day. Track riding is safer and there is emergency help 30 secs away. No trees, no buzzards, no cross roads and nobody playing with their cell phone.

ZXAlan is right too, what you're doing is the fun of motorcycling.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"

Last edited by bumblebee; 08-08-2013 at 09:42 PM.
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #9
Chuckster

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

Don't be afraid of group rides unless, like pinball stated, it's noob to moderate. But, even some of those are good learning experience because, depending of who's in the ride, you usually won't ever get left behind. There are guys on here who want to teach newer riders what their doing wrong/right so they an enjoy a faster pace. There are also some group rides that seem to end up "every man for himself" rides.
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

Come ride wth me ill show you some awesome stuff
Old 08-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #11
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

I ride a lot more myself Vs group riding. Not a lot of people are cool with starting a ride at 7 and then being home by 10-11. I like your style sir.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement