MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #21
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

as has been said, there is no proof given, no testing done to be able to say with any certainty that this brace prevents broken collar bones... they will not even promise it will stop neck injuries, they say it cuts down on the potential and HELPs prevent neck injuries...
but IMO it also helps or assists in preventing collar bone breakage... the reason I think this is because most of the collar bones that were broken that i have been a personal wittness too, seem to be from the helmet impacting the bone (all of the ones i have seen have been at track days and road racing)... and the brace helps keep a direct impact from happening and spreads the impact out over the area of the brace....so to me it is a logical conclusion that it would assist in preventing broken collar bones... that is not to say that a collar bone will not be broken when you have the brace on, but i think it reduces the odds....the possibilities of the injuries it could help with made me plunk down the money and wear the brace...
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking to borrow/rent a Leatt STX RR before buying The BeastMaster Taking it to the Track 0 07-16-2014 06:56 PM
leatt road racing neck brace obed Gear Talk 23 04-01-2013 08:14 AM
Leatt Neck Brace for UTV use? magzx12r Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 2 04-25-2012 10:53 PM
Safety Question: Why Are Neck Braces (Leatt) Not More Popular? thebujster Gear Talk 18 12-28-2011 07:46 PM
Leatt Brace Winners bdmpastx Safety Corner Main 23 12-28-2007 03:47 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #22
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

Should we call mythbusters and let them test it?
Old 08-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #23
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

if you call them, let them know that I am willing to donate a Leatt if I can fill in for Grant for the show.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #24
exalted512
Slow^^^

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to exalted512
I'd also be willing to donate a Leatt if I can fill in Kari with...

n/m
-Cody
exalted512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #25
Donte
Im The Dreaded One

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
GS500F

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by exalted512 View Post
I'm curious to what actually causes collar bone injuries in wrecks. Is it impact with the ground or impact with the helmet? If it's the helmet, I could see, but have no proof of, this taking the direct impact away from the helmet and dispersing it across the shoulders...but I'm just talking out of my here. Would be very cool if Leatt could do some testing.
-Cody
When I fell off and broke my collar bone it was from the impact with the ground. Xrays show that my bone went horizontally, closer to my neck.
Donte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #26
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotnanas View Post
if you call them, let them know that I am willing to donate a Leatt if I can fill in for Grant for the show.
I'll do it if I can fill in that redhead...wut?
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #27
exalted512
Slow^^^

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Quote:
I'd also be willing to donate a Leatt if I can fill in Kari with...

n/m
-Cody
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
I'll do it if I can fill in that redhead...wut?
You're like an hour late. I had to google her name though...haha
Old 08-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #28
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
You're like an hour late. I had to google her name though...haha
Yea well. The point is she's bangable.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #29
The BeastMaster
AKA "Reese"

Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
03 honda magna
08 honda 1000 cbr
97 Honda Magna(sold)
87 Honda TRX 250R 4wheeler(sold)
1985 Honda CR 125R (sold)

Yep, I'll be getting one before I get serious about the track again. Knew a ASCS (sprint cars) driver who died when his steering locked and he went straight into the wall at over 100. The Hans device might have prevented his neck from snapping like it did.

as far as collarbone injuries. I have and icon stryker vest and I've been wondering how much the straps that go across the shoulders do to help the collarbones. They are wide, stiff, and padded.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #30
Tommy_Boy636

I'm going to have to chime in my thoughts on this neck brace.

It is a really nice neck brace, I'll give Leatt that, but for anyone who really hangs off the bike, it interferes way too much to the point where it's incredibly distracting and potentially dangerous. For anyone that rides in a fairly neutral position, then this probably won't have any interference issues. You have good range of motion, and can actually do a decent tuck. However the problems arise when you start hanging off. The brace is in the way when you get your head off the side, and will even prevent you from looking up to see where you're going. I actually had my head get stuck a few times during my transitions in turns. I made it around the track no more than 2 laps before deciding that it wasn't working out. I tried it again later on in the day after doing some more fine tuning on the adjustments, but to no avail.

This is just a heads up for someone looking into this neck brace. Before you drop a lot of dough on this, find someone who has it and see if it works for you. For me, it didn't work out and luckily I was able to return it since it was still in perfect condition.
Tommy_Boy636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #31
exalted512
Slow^^^

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Sucks to hear :( Having said that, I hang off quite a bit and dont have issues.
-Cody
Old 08-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #32
Tommy_Boy636

Maybe it's an issue with the new design, or it could just be me.
Tommy_Boy636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #33
Desmorider

Bike(s):
Triumph Street Triple
RVF 400
KTM 450
Drixton Honda 450
Mondial 175

I just ordered one. Have a dirt bike model from years ago.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:13 AM   #34
jray8765

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_Boy636 View Post

It is a really nice neck brace, I'll give Leatt that, but for anyone who really hangs off the bike, it interferes way too much to the point where it's incredibly distracting and potentially dangerous. For anyone that rides in a fairly neutral position, then this probably won't have any interference issues. You have good range of motion, and can actually do a decent tuck. However the problems arise when you start hanging off. The brace is in the way when you get your head off the side, and will even prevent you from looking up to see where you're going. I actually had my head get stuck a few times during my transitions in turns. I made it around the track no more than 2 laps before deciding that it wasn't working out. I tried it again later on in the day after doing some more fine tuning on the adjustments, but to no avail.

This is just a heads up for someone looking into this neck brace. Before you drop a lot of dough on this, find someone who has it and see if it works for you. For me, it didn't work out and luckily I was able to return it since it was still in perfect condition.
I hear that some people have issues while other don't. Could be many factors from your riding style, height, how you have it adjusted, etc. Seems like it would bother me if the back of my helmet hit the brace during right/left transitions.

A couple of top CMRA expert and novice riders use them with no issues. Eddie Thornton and Tim Rose seem to have no issues with the STX RR.

But you don't see any AMA, SBK or MotoGP pros using them. Seems that the MotoGP guys sponsored by Astars or Dianese get the airbag suits $$$.
jray8765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:29 PM   #35
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby Racer View Post
Yea well. The point is she's bangable.

way more than bangable

theres some nudes of here out there too

google kari byron playboy nude or something like that and you should find them unless you have safe search turned on
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:32 PM   #36
Zip

Bike(s):
2009 GSXR 600 Race
07 600RR (SOLD)
06 R6 track (SOLD)

Zip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:34 PM   #37
The BeastMaster
AKA "Reese"

Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
03 honda magna
08 honda 1000 cbr
97 Honda Magna(sold)
87 Honda TRX 250R 4wheeler(sold)
1985 Honda CR 125R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_Boy636 View Post

I like this advice.
So I am going to start a new thread on this subject.

Advertisement