MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
SGT USMC 0311

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
"Budweiser" F4 Track
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 1100S
HOODAKA ROAD TOAD (...DEAD JIM)
Kestrel Road
Titus Racer X

Member Garage

Leatt STX RR Neck Brace Review

Here is my review of the Leatt STX RR

I ordered it direct from Leatt, paid $550 plus shipping, showed up two days later. Opened box, followed directions for fitment in 15 minuets.

Showed up at track day, put it on after earplugs, before helmet. Got on bike and forgot about it until I tried to get out of my suit. Never noticed I had it on.

Details from Leatt:
Leatt STX RR Neck Brace
The Leatt STX RR is the first ever neck brace designed specifically for road racing and track day users. Helping prevent avoidable neck injuries has be Leatt’s specialty ever since Dr. Chris Leatt invented the first modern motosports neck brace in 2002. Off road riders and racers have benefited from this invention for years.
The STX RR uses Alternative Load Path Technology, ALPT™, to drastically reduce the injury causes forces on the neck in a crash. Helps protect from hyper extension, hyper flexion, lateral hyper extension and hyper translation type injuries. Helps stabilize the head/neck in compressive type injuries. The ultra light carbon fiber chassis is so comfortable it will hardly be noticed while riding or racing. Designed to fit on the outside of race leathers the twin, swiveling, scapula wings on the back adjust to fit with aero humps and many body shapes. The front of brace folds back to allow for getting in a full tuck yet still fits correctly when riding in more upright positions. Removable rear platform height adjuster allows for a personal fit that gives the necessary protection while allowing optimum helmet range of motion. Additional height adjusters are on the shoulders to accommodate for different rider’s neck length. Straps can be worn to secure the brace but riders will find that it is not prone to move around on the body much, even at high speed.
Features:
Chassis is ultra light 100% carbon fiber, only 700g (1.55 pounds)
Over the head fitting with emergency releases on each side
Race adopted front construction for tucking behind the windscreen
Hammock style rubber chin pad for increased comfort and safety
Correct side clearance for race cornering
Adjusts to fit all riding suits and selections of armor
CE certified as Personal Protective Equipment 89/686/EEC
One size fits riders from approx. 140 to 225 pounds

Unknown
Looking to borrow/rent a Leatt STX RR before buying The BeastMaster Taking it to the Track 0 07-16-2014 06:56 PM
leatt road racing neck brace obed Gear Talk 23 04-01-2013 08:14 AM
Leatt Neck Brace for UTV use? magzx12r Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 2 04-25-2012 10:53 PM
Safety Question: Why Are Neck Braces (Leatt) Not More Popular? thebujster Gear Talk 18 12-28-2011 07:46 PM
Leatt Brace Winners bdmpastx Safety Corner Main 23 12-28-2007 03:47 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Been thinking about one of these, but I'm more interested in not popping a collarbone than preventing neck injuries as collarbones are WAY more common. Worth knowing that they're unobtrusive, though.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
SGT USMC 0311

Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
"Budweiser" F4 Track
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 1100S
HOODAKA ROAD TOAD (...DEAD JIM)
Kestrel Road
Titus Racer X

Member Garage

$550 is a shitload of money; however, a lot cheaper than a hospital stay.

It was odd trying it on at the house rolling my neck around with the hemet on, but leaned over a bike while riding I never felt it.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
duston98
Duston

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
BMW S1000 RR
HD Dyna Street Bob
KX250F
Pitster Pro X4r
PW50

I have one and don't leave the house without it. Same as this review, I forget I have it on until its time to take it off. After a cager hit me while texting and driving and braking my neck, it's worth the $$ to mitigate any risk that I can if I continue to ride.
duston98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:06 PM   #5
jp129

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
09 Ninja 250R Track
07 Triumph Daytona 675
09 Triumph Daytona 675 Track
02 Ducati Monster S4

Does anyone have any track crash data with the brace? I too, have been very interested in the brace, but the lack of the people using these in the paddocks have made me somewhat skeptical.

I would imagine that race orgs would see the benefit of these and promote them, much like the HANS device in auto racing. Which is another case that would strengthen the use of the LEATT brace, since they operate on similar principles I believe.

I agree that 550.00 is pennies on the dollar compared to neck injuries if it does exactly what it's supposed to do, but I'm not one to buy into snake oil either...

Last edited by jp129; 08-05-2013 at 11:09 PM.
jp129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:50 AM   #6
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

I love mine. Have had it awhile now and as the man said, do not even know it is on.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #7
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

$550 is way cheaper than getting paralyzed...trust me. Just one CT scan cost more than that. I wish more people would wear these. I know of a few dirtbike riders that have crash data on them. Some landing directly on their heads. I also know of some paraplegics/quadraplegics that wish they had worn one. After I was paralyzed, I got a Rapter 700r quad and I had one of the first Leatt Braces. I never knew it was on either.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
exalted512
Slow^^^

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to exalted512
Wish I had seen this version when I got mine. Being able to fully tuck is great...and the only complaint I have about mine.

I'm actually much more worried about breaking my neck than breaking my collar bone. Not because of the probability (collar bone is actually the most common bone to break, period - not just in motorcycles), but because of the seriousness.

I low sided in my brace going about 130mph entering the carousel at MSRH. I tumbled across the pavement, the grass, pavement again on the mini course, and landed in the grass 75-90 YARDS from where I crashed. It looks like the brace took a nice hit from my helmet, but my neck wasn't even sore...and no broken collar bone

Someone went down in T1 at TWS (Texas World Speedway) during the first CMRA round with one on. "the impact was absorbed and then distributed through the shoulder brace which actually broke off." His neck was fine.
-Cody
exalted512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #9
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmpastx View Post
$550 is way cheaper than getting paralyzed...trust me. Just one CT scan cost more than that. I wish more people would wear these. I know of a few dirtbike riders that have crash data on them. Some landing directly on their heads. I also know of some paraplegics/quadraplegics that wish they had worn one. After I was paralyzed, I got a Rapter 700r quad and I had one of the first Leatt Braces. I never knew it was on either.
It's really really ridiculously uncommon for a crash to result in a neck injury on track. It's more common for dirtbikes since they're frequently leaving the ground.

I'd GLADLY spend $550 if it would protect my collarbones as that injury happens VERY frequently to sportbike racers. However, no one seems to be able to provide any sportbike crash data for the device.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 08-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #10
exalted512
Slow^^^

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

I'm curious to what actually causes collar bone injuries in wrecks. Is it impact with the ground or impact with the helmet? If it's the helmet, I could see, but have no proof of, this taking the direct impact away from the helmet and dispersing it across the shoulders...but I'm just talking out of my here. Would be very cool if Leatt could do some testing.
-Cody
Old 08-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #11
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by exalted512 View Post
I'm curious to what actually causes collar bone injuries in wrecks. Is it impact with the ground or impact with the helmet? If it's the helmet, I could see, but have no proof of, this taking the direct impact away from the helmet and dispersing it across the shoulders...but I'm just talking out of my here. Would be very cool if Leatt could do some testing.
-Cody

The majority of breaks I've seen are mid-span breaks which line up pretty well with where a helmet would thunk it. Not smoking gun proof, but correlation.

CMRA #302
Old 08-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #12
tonygross21

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 650

Can you wear this for everyday rides?
tonygross21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:09 AM   #13
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygross21 View Post
Can you wear this for everyday rides?
yes
Old 08-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #14
exalted512
Slow^^^

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
The majority of breaks I've seen are mid-span breaks which line up pretty well with where a helmet would thunk it. Not smoking gun proof, but correlation.
so in theory, it could help disperse the impact...just no hard evidence to back it up.

FWIW, here's my brace after I wrecked with a noticeable mark on it:

No broken collar bone
-Cody
Old 08-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #15
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by exalted512 View Post
so in theory, it could help disperse the impact...just no hard evidence to back it up.

FWIW, here's my brace after I wrecked with a noticeable mark on it:

No broken collar bone
-Cody
In theory, yes. But I'm not sure I'm willing to plunk down $550 on theory.

CMRA #302
Old 08-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #16
exalted512
Slow^^^

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Understandable. I got that one for $300 when NTX superbikes were offering a deal. And even then, it was a gift from my wife, parents, and brother (all 3 chipped in) for my b-day.
-Cody
Old 08-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #17
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

dirt rider input, so I can only speak of the dirt version:

I wear one every ride without "feeling" like it is there. I'd gladly take another collarbone break over any injury that these braces are known to prevent.

As far as collarbone breaks go, my chin bar on my helmet lined up perfectly with my fracture. Doing my own personal completely-amateur forensics engineering report, I confidently say the impact of the bike to the back of the helmet caused the chin bar to snap my bone like a twig. If the Leatt was invented then and worn in my particular impact, I think I would have been able to ride the rest of the day and my collarbone would not have fractured.

My dirt version and your street version may produce completely different results.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #18
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
It's really really ridiculously uncommon for a crash to result in a neck injury on track. It's more common for dirtbikes since they're frequently leaving the ground.

I'd GLADLY spend $550 if it would protect my collarbones as that injury happens VERY frequently to sportbike racers. However, no one seems to be able to provide any sportbike crash data for the device.
lol A broken collar bone isn't a life changing injury either. I know it happens a lot. , I ran the crash truck a few times for CMRA events. It was almost a given that ankles and collar bones were going to be broke.

However, I know plenty of paraplegics/quadraplegics that have had neck and back injuries from crashing on concrete. It's not as uncommon as you think. Maybe it's because I meet them all the time at doctors offices, hospitals and rehab facilities. And you may only hear about them if someone knew them on a forum.

For the record, I regret not wearing my track suit with the built in back protector when I crashed, I may not be paralyzed if I had. I just had on my A* 2 piece suit and didn't wear a back protector. Life is pretty uncertain. And if you think this little price to pay isn't justified, then so be it. However, I have a different perspective. Why don't you ask Jim aka wolverine about it too. He was recently paralyzed at the track.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #19
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Jim crashed at the track?

Just use both. Can never have enough gear, im surprised no one started to use a mouth guard.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #20
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

Sorry, Jim's was on the street..typo. I was thinking of someone else I know. not Jim.

Advertisement