MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #21
gorillamonkey2

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4-8 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2002 r6

Be careful, the MS 13 are everywhere. They find out you are American, they may ask for the quota. Don't know much about the place, but where my mom is from, Santa Lucia, the gang is present even though it is small town.
gorillamonkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #22
SafetyLimiter

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
07' Vulcan Classic 1600
06' CBR 600f4i Stolen
99' Kawasaki ZX6 SOLD
03 GSXR 1000 Traded

Member Garage

If you want more information about El Salvador I can help you with that. My wife is from there and currently visiting her sister and brother-in-law. My son was born in Ilopango, just East of San Salvador, I have been down there quite a few times myself. I know a lot of people talk about the MS13 and 18th street, but it isn't that bad. Just check the warden messages on the embassy website before you go down. Stay away from the bad areas and use common sense. You will be fine. As for where your talking about I can ask my wife on that. We stayed either in that area or near a couple summers ago and it wasn't to bad. Super Selectos is down the road if your needing grocery, the beaches are black sand but not very clean, and the there are surprisingly a lot of foreign locals. I ran in to a couple of Americans who ran a little pizza shack just off the beach. As for riding the roads are horrible and not bike friendly, the people don't give a ,are not courteous, will not let you in at all, and there is pretty much no traffic laws. Hope this helps and if you need more info let me know.
SafetyLimiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #23
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish View Post
Daaaaaamn! Sounds nice, but stay safe. Where were you today??
One salesman in the UK, one in the bahamas, so it's just me holding down the office today. Then our website went down and Bluehost screwed up our online stuff so I just sent my admin home and did things the old fashioned rotary phone way...on paper. Sucky sucky work day. And I missed KPop. Booooo
Old 08-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #24
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyLimiter View Post
If you want more information about El Salvador I can help you with that. My wife is from there and currently visiting her sister and brother-in-law. My son was born in Ilopango, just East of San Salvador, I have been down there quite a few times myself. I know a lot of people talk about the MS13 and 18th street, but it isn't that bad. Just check the warden messages on the embassy website before you go down. Stay away from the bad areas and use common sense. You will be fine. As for where your talking about I can ask my wife on that. We stayed either in that area or near a couple summers ago and it wasn't to bad. Super Selectos is down the road if your needing grocery, the beaches are black sand but not very clean, and the there are surprisingly a lot of foreign locals. I ran in to a couple of Americans who ran a little pizza shack just off the beach. As for riding the roads are horrible and not bike friendly, the people don't give a ,are not courteous, will not let you in at all, and there is pretty much no traffic laws. Hope this helps and if you need more info let me know.
I will definitely take you up on the offer. Town is south on the road from El Porvenier, called Playa Del Pimental. GPS coordinates of the land: 13.371589,-89.065895 According to David, who just moved back to the US after a 4 year stint in El Salvador, there is no gang presence and everything is safe in this town and the tow beach towns to the north and south. A new resort just opened up a mile down where the forest meets the beach, catering to beach goers and zip liners alike. Land prices have quintupled in 4 years.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #25
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillamonkey2 View Post
Be careful, the MS 13 are everywhere. They find out you are American, they may ask for the quota. Don't know much about the place, but where my mom is from, Santa Lucia, the gang is present even though it is small town.
Agreed. Santa Lucia is inland, on the main route towards Guatamala from San Salvador. Gangs there don't surprise me.

I am basing a lot of my faith in safety on reports from 3 guys who are on ADV rider.com who all live in the general area. Hopefully, it will get better with time, like Columbia.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #26
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

THREATS TO SAFETY AND SECURITY: Most travelers to El Salvador experience no safety or security problems, but the criminal threat in El Salvador is critical and a Travel Warning for El Salvador was issued on January 23, 2013. Random and organized violent crime is endemic throughout El Salvador, and there are no areas within the city of San Salvador (or the country of El Salvador) that are deemed free of potential violent crime. U.S. citizens have not been singled out by reason of their nationality, but are subject to the same threat as all other persons in El Salvador. See the section below on Crime for additional related information.

Political or economic issues in the country may give rise to demonstrations, sit-ins, or protests at any time or place, but these activities occur most frequently in the capital or on its main access roads. U.S. citizens are cautioned to avoid areas where demonstrations are being held and, to follow local news media reports or contact the U.S. Embassy for up-to-date information.

Strong undertows and currents can make swimming at El Salvador's Pacific Coast beaches and the countryís lakes extremely dangerous for even strong and experienced swimmers. Since 2008, 11 U.S. citizens have drowned while swimming in Salvadoran waters. Lifeguards are not present at beaches and lakes and access to medical resources in these areas is limited.

Stay up to date by:

Bookmarking our Bureau of Consular Affairs website, which contains the current Travel Warnings and Travel Alerts as well as the Worldwide Caution.
Follow us on Twitter and the Bureau of Consular Affairs page on Facebook as well.
Downloading our free Smart Traveler app, available through iTunes and the Androidmarket, for travel information at your fingertips.
Calling 1-888-407-4747 toll-free within the United States and Canada, or a regular toll line, 1-202-501-4444, from other countries.
Take some time before travel to consider your personal security. Here are some useful tips for traveling safely abroad.

CRIME: The State Department considers El Salvador a critical crime threat country which exists when there is a continuous serious threat for crime and forced entries and assaults on residents are common. In 2011, El Salvador had the second highest murder rate in the world: 71 per 100,000 people (by comparison, the murder rate in Massachusetts, with a similar geographical area and population, was 2.6 per 100,000). In 2012, a truce between El Salvadorís two principal street gangs contributed to a decline in the homicide rate. However, the sustainability of the decline is unclear, and the truce had little impact on robbery, assaults, and other violent crimes. Most of these crimes go unsolved. In March 2012, as a result of an administrative review of the security situation, Peace Corps El Salvador substantially reduced the number of its volunteers in country.

U.S. citizens do not appear to be targeted based on their nationality. However, 24 U.S. citizens have been murdered in El Salvador since January 2010. During the same time period, 242 U.S. citizens reported having their passports stolen. Armed robberies of climbers and hikers in El Salvadorís national parks is common, and the Embassy strongly recommends engaging the services of a local guide certified by the national or local tourist authority when hiking in back country areas, even within the national parks. In 2000, the National Civilian Police (PNC) established a special tourist police force (POLITUR) to provide security and assistance to tourists, as well as protection for the cultural heritage of El Salvador. It has officers located in 19 tourist destinations.

A majority of serious crimes in El Salvador are never solved; only 5 of the 24 murders committed against U.S. citizens since January 2010 have resulted in convictions. The Government of El Salvador lacks sufficient resources to properly investigate and prosecute cases and to deter violent crime. The PNC is still developing into a modern and effective police force that can protect the public. While several of the PNCís investigative units have shown great promise, routine street level patrol techniques, anti-gang, and crime suppression efforts are limited.

Transnational criminal organizations conduct narcotics, arms trafficking, and other unlawful activities throughout the country and use violence to control drug trafficking routes and carry out other criminal activity. Other criminals, acting both individually and in gangs, commit crimes such as murder-for-hire, carjacking, extortion, armed robbery, rapes, and other aggravated assaults. El Salvador, a country of roughly six million people, has hundreds of known street gangs totaling more than 20,000 members. Gangs and other criminal elements roam freely day and night, targeting affluent areas for burglaries, and gang members are quick to engage in violence if resisted.

Extortion is a particularly serious and common crime in El Salvador. Many extortion attempts are no more than random cold calls that originate from imprisoned gang members using cellular telephones, and the subsequent threats against the victim are made through social engineering and/or through information obtained about the victimís family. U.S. citizens who are visiting El Salvador for extended periods may be at higher risk for extortion demands. Hitting its peak a few years ago, extortion has dropped in the last two years; however, recent reports show that there is an increase in the level of violence associated with extortion cases, including media reports of extortion victims and witnesses being killed. Extortion attempts can be transnational in nature and can include kidnapping of victims. For example, in 2011, a two year old U.S. citizen was kidnapped from the home of his grandparents in El Salvador by eight to ten armed men. Ransom demands made to family members in both El Salvador and the United States were traced back to a local prison used exclusively to incarcerate gang members.

Criminals have ready access to firearms and shootouts are not uncommon. Foreigners, however, may not carry guns even for their own protection without first obtaining firearms licenses from the Salvadoran government. Failure to do so will result in the detention of the bearer and confiscation of the firearm, even if it is licensed in the United States.

Travelers should remain in groups and avoid remote or isolated locations in order to minimize their vulnerability. Travelers should also avoid displaying or carrying valuables in public places. Passports and other important documents should not be left in private vehicles. Armed assaults and carjackings take place both in San Salvador and in the interior of the country, but are especially frequent on roads outside the capital where police patrols are scarce. Criminals have been known to follow travelers from the El Salvador International Airport to private residences or secluded stretches of road where they carry out assaults and robberies. Armed robbers are known to shoot, if the vehicle does not come to a stop. Criminals often become violent quickly, especially when victims fail to cooperate immediately in surrendering valuables. Frequently, victims who argue with assailants or refuse to give up their valuables are shot. Kidnapping for ransom continues to occur, but has decreased in frequency since 2001. U.S. citizens in El Salvador should exercise caution at all times and practice good personal security procedures throughout their stay.

Armed holdups of vehicles traveling on El Salvador's roads are common, and we encourage U.S. citizens to remain aware of their surroundings. The U.S. Embassy warns its personnel to drive with their doors locked and windows raised, to avoid travel outside of major metropolitan areas after dark, and to avoid travel on unpaved roads at all times because of criminal assaults and lack of police and road service facilities. Travelers with conspicuous amounts of luggage, late-model cars, or foreign license plates are particularly vulnerable to crime, even in the capital.

Travel on public transportation, especially buses, both within and outside the capital, is risky and not recommended. The Embassy advises official visitors and personnel to avoid using mini-buses and buses and to use only radio-dispatched taxis or those stationed in front of major hotels.

U.S. citizens using banking services should be vigilant while conducting their financial exchanges either inside local banks or at automated teller machines (ATMSs). There have been several reports of armed robberies in which victims appear to have been followed from the bank after completing their transactions. U.S, citizens have also been victimized at well known restaurants, hotels, and retailers within San Salvador. The Embassy has noticed a recent trend in credit card cloning and similar fraud. Credit card fraud can be difficult to recover from and can adversely affect your credit score and financial health. Using a credit card is safer than using an ATM card or Debit card to pay. With ATM or Debit cards, the money is transferred out of the account at the very moment of the transaction, and it is usually not recoverable or contestable.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #27
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

That's some kinda scary stuff, right?
Old 08-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #28
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Here is what some riders have to say:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=salvador+safe
Old 08-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #29
Grindio

Bike(s):
03 KTM 625 SXC motard "Vuvuzela"
03 KTM 50 SX
15 KTM 1290 Sup Adv "Snow White" 07 BMW R1200RT "Magic Carpet"

07 TTR90 12 TTR110

you did it right having a good friend/family contact there. There are a lot of good people down there and getting in with a good family will make things work better for you.
Grindio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:26 PM   #30
gorillamonkey2

Bike(s):
2002 r6

Also another weird thing is MS 13 keep to themselves. My aunt use to run a chale, and gang members would always ask for cigarettes. Of course she would give it to them for free. Couple of years later the house was alone and someone stole all of our stuff, mattresses, fridge, and copper I believe. Somehow they found out left the guy half dead.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #31
gorillamonkey2

Bike(s):
2002 r6

Plus I thought the gang members had tht peace treaty which supposedly lowered crime rates by 75percent.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #32
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Plus I thought the gang members had tht peace treaty which supposedly lowered crime rates by 75percent.
Seems to be holding up and gang on violence is at a low. But that doesn't stop them from taking what they want from everybody else.

I am going to proceed in spite of my conservative nature, sticking to as many ways to blend in as possible. Ride a used 150 courier bike, build a small local appearance home, have my friend's sister and husband care for the house and represent to town that it is owned by the brothers in the U.S., never carry anything nice enough that I will feel bad giving it away at knife or gunpoint...if it ever really does come to that.

Thanks again all for the input.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:59 PM   #33
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

oh ya, my spanish is terrible. but i've never had a communication problem in rural mexico. and im learning more every day.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:03 AM   #34
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

In let's go! Lemme ask the boss for some paid leave. Can work down there'.
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Rykoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:59 AM   #35
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

You will be fine as long as you dont look rich. When i go i wear a basic plain shirt, dirty jeans and raggedy shoes.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:08 AM   #36
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

Just carry an AT4.

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #37
SafetyLimiter

Bike(s):
07' Vulcan Classic 1600
06' CBR 600f4i Stolen
99' Kawasaki ZX6 SOLD
03 GSXR 1000 Traded

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
I will definitely take you up on the offer. Town is south on the road from El Porvenier, called Playa Del Pimental. GPS coordinates of the land: 13.371589,-89.065895 According to David, who just moved back to the US after a 4 year stint in El Salvador, there is no gang presence and everything is safe in this town and the tow beach towns to the north and south. A new resort just opened up a mile down where the forest meets the beach, catering to beach goers and zip liners alike. Land prices have quintupled in 4 years.
I'll be here man. I 'll look into that area a little more. It's good to see that business is growing in El Salvador. My wife told me when they switched to the dollar everything turned to down there and became real expensive. I believed it when I seen a can of Campbell's chunky soup selling for $5.00, my grocery bill down there was over $400 and it felt like my fridge was half empty.It is not a cheap place to live contrary to what most believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
That's some kinda scary stuff, right?
Yup never take it for granted. My wife and I would argue sometimes about my behavior such as leaving my wallet at home or taking a different route home everyday. Is it overkill? Absolutely not. Am I A HVT, maybe to some teenage kid who wants to eat or prove himself to someone else. My wife said oh it will be fine were in Zona Rosa, but that's not going to stop some of these kids and you never know what can happen. She blends in, I don't with my pasty . Needless to say I had fun, but remained vigilant.
Quote:
That peace treaty was only to move key members of each gang to the other prison which is not the maximum security prison. I wouldn't trust that truce for anything. It was only done for their benefit.

Last edited by SafetyLimiter; 08-06-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:50 AM   #38
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rykoson View Post
In let's go! Lemme ask the boss for some paid leave. Can work down there'.
You know you're on the short list homie.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:52 AM   #39
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Safetylimiter...HVT...that's why I wanna go all Cargo150 to blend in.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #40
SafetyLimiter

Bike(s):
07' Vulcan Classic 1600
06' CBR 600f4i Stolen
99' Kawasaki ZX6 SOLD
03 GSXR 1000 Traded

Member Garage

Grow your beard out SF Style, darken that skin up, and shop at a thrift store for clothes you'll fit right in. Wait wrong country. Thrift store would still work and a tan.

Advertisement