MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2007, 09:29 AM   #21
MadseasoN

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

My son, who is 5, rides his 50 quite a bit. If he wants to race in a couple of years then I'll help him but I'm not going to push it on him. It's still motorcycle racing and it's still dangerous.

When it comes to kids and sports the parents need to ask themselves if they are pushing it for the kid or for THEM. I coached my daughter's softball team for the past 3 years and I've seen kids degraded time and again by their parents for making bad plays. Kids need sports to build confidence, encouragement, the physical benefit, and teamwork skills. They're not meant for parents to relive their childhood or pipe dreams of full-ride scholarships.

That being said, both my kids are required to be in some type of sport. I don't care what it is but they have to do something. I support them in whatever they choose with equipment, lessons, etc. The fact that I can provide that for them is good enough for me. I didn't have that as a child - we played baseball with tennis and sticks.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kids Racing Scooters bumblebee General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 03-31-2015 10:01 AM
Good article about Dirt-track Racing vs Road Racing Zapata Taking it to the Track 1 04-28-2005 05:22 PM
Good article about Dirt-track Racing vs Road Racing Zapata Motorcycle Articles 1 04-28-2005 05:22 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-29-2007, 09:53 AM   #22
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

^ exactly, my son doesn't want to do anything at all so, i say ok son, if you don't want to do anything then, you don't have to. As much as i would love for him to be involved in something, if he doesn't like it, and doesn't want to do it, hes just gonna plain suck at it, so why make em do it? It will just be a waste of time money and effort to force a kid into doing something he/she doesn't want to do.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:30 PM   #23
Vandals
Scooter

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2003 Yamaha r1
1981 Honda Trail 110 -"The Tank"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonR1
Cameron, a great start would be to jump into TMGP for you, you're young and have lots to learn, as do we all. Like moody said, there are tons of us(people) who would be more than willing to help you out, for most of us it's too late to start doing anything seriously. It's just gonna take some money that's it. CMRA has a new Ninja 250 race class this year, you already have the bike, so you are $3500 ahead of the game already. That would be a great start. Let us know if we can help you out. .

Like you said, money is the problem. I work all the time and go to school, and pretty much support myself. Ever since my dads accident, my mom will barely let me even get on a 50, much less the track. So convincing her to let me race my 250 or some other bike is out of the question:eh:
Vandals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:45 PM   #24
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikp460.
im am grateful i made it out alive... and i do have a child and i at least try to be more involved more than i can say for my parents
Different times and situations. If your parents were loaded and they didn't do jack for you then you could say that your parents aren't sport minded. It is natural for parents to see that their kids do well and exceed in anything. Just like you with your child. If your parents aren't involved with you because of work or whatever you have to ask them for reasons when you get the chance.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:51 PM   #25
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre3k
live my life then try to tell me that. i'm grateful for everything, yet reality remains reality.
I don't know how your life is when you were a kid but I don't think that you could top mine either.
I don't know what is it but somehow it came across to me like that you were ungrateful for the things that you have, maybe little but a lot more than some or most folks. Look at kids in third world country, they don't have jack to play with no board games, electronics, or gatorade, cool aid, Hi C, or whatever kids eat and drink now a days.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:49 AM   #26
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandals
Like you said, money is the problem. I work all the time and go to school, and pretty much support myself. Ever since my dads accident, my mom will barely let me even get on a 50, much less the track. So convincing her to let me race my 250 or some other bike is out of the question:eh:
I had this same issue when I was your age with my mom. She would not let me get the street bike or race because her boy friend was killed on his bike. So from experience I would have done things alot differently so I could have raced in my youth instead of waiting. If she does not want you on the street then the track is where you should be. Try to reason with her about the attention to safety provided at the track and that this is what you really want to do. Try some TMGP and CMRA mini stuff out first if you have to go that route before she lets you out there with the bigger bike. Many of us would kill to be in your position so if it is really your will to race then do what you have to do. Respect, reason and logic will probably gain you the most success in your dispute and if she has questions point her to some of the race organizations or the shops that are involved with racing.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:17 PM   #27
gabe sanchez

Thumbs up

Vandals, if you really want to ride you will find a way to ride. If you ride and like it then go for it. All you have to do is fire that 500 up and ride it to a race. We rode our bikes to the races and taped up the headlights. If you ever enter a race I will buy you a set of tires. If you ever win a race I will let you ride a 600 and buy you two sets of tires......... and so on. That's the way racing works if you haul you will get help. The hardest part of racing is showing up.
gabe sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:36 AM   #28
Vandals
Scooter

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2003 Yamaha r1
1981 Honda Trail 110 -"The Tank"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe sanchez
Vandals, if you really want to ride you will find a way to ride. If you ride and like it then go for it. All you have to do is fire that 500 up and ride it to a race. We rode our bikes to the races and taped up the headlights. If you ever enter a race I will buy you a set of tires. If you ever win a race I will let you ride a 600 and buy you two sets of tires......... and so on. That's the way racing works if you haul you will get help. The hardest part of racing is showing up.

its a 250, not a 500:laughing6 , but Ive been eyeing an sv 650 to start tracking on. Untill i turn 17 (7 months) and move out, I will try to get on the track as much as possible, but i dont think i'll be doing any racing untill then..
Vandals is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement