MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2007, 06:36 PM   #1
andre3k
I see dead people...

Feedback Rating: (1)

Kids and Racing

Me and my wife have discussed this several times. If you look many of the younger athletes in any number of sports, but especially motorsports. The parents push the kids to excel and become champions. I think with motorsports there are more barriers to entry than others. How many 4 year kids go out and buy there first motocross bike? But at 4 years old a kid can easily decide to thats he wants to play t-ball and start working towards that.

In motocross or roadracing it's hard to be successful and not have parents that sit on their . Who is going to buy the bike, drive all across the county, work on the bike, pay for training? Look at any of the top athletes in any sport and their parents were a MAJOR factor in them being champions. Look at the Hayden clan, Colin Edwards and his dad, Rossi & his dad, this Steve Bonsey Kid, Tiger Woods, Elena Myers, the Williams sisters, Bubba Stewart.

What are your thoughts on this?
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kids Racing Scooters bumblebee General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 03-31-2015 10:01 AM
Good article about Dirt-track Racing vs Road Racing Zapata Taking it to the Track 1 04-28-2005 05:22 PM
Good article about Dirt-track Racing vs Road Racing Zapata Motorcycle Articles 1 04-28-2005 05:22 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2007, 06:39 PM   #2
issanni
assfault

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Send a message via MSN to issanni Send a message via Yahoo to issanni
If the parents and the kid both enjoy doing whatever it is, then they should strive to be the best.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:39 PM   #3
Longnguyen

Feedback Rating: (0)

my thoughts are...............you going to 4/7 or what! j/k
Young riders are more "family" oriented activities that require a mentoring kinda program.......with out it there is no way the kid can even compete. Plus it might be more economical in a sense that if one of the parent actively participates then to add on a child is not as expensive as someone who is starting off from scratch.
Longnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:39 PM   #4
ikp460.
WHO DO VOODOO WE DO...?

Bike(s):
pHiDDy

Send a message via AIM to ikp460. Send a message via MSN to ikp460.
i wish my parents were richer and more talented ..
ikp460. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:45 PM   #5
andre3k
I see dead people...

I didn't get when I was a kid either. My parents got me what I needed and not what I wanted. Two pairs of shoes every school year till I graduated HS. One at the start of school, and dress shoes for x-mas. Every f---ing year.

I could imagine if I asked for a dirt bike.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:48 PM   #6
ikp460.
WHO DO VOODOO WE DO...?

Bike(s):
pHiDDy

i had stuff but ill be if i ever got any support from either of them.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:58 PM   #7
issanni
assfault

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Send a message via MSN to issanni Send a message via Yahoo to issanni
I grew up riding dirt bikes....didn't get anything nice to race till I could afford to buy it myself.

I bought my son a Beta Pro 50cc 2-stroke dirtbike year before last for Christmas, its just like the KTM kids Adventure series bikes. He hasn't ridden yet. He has a 90cc 4wheeler too, he rode that a BUNCH but hasn't lately. One of the other dad's in our neighborhood mentioned getting his son into riding motocross and my son and his are friends. Maybe that will spark some interest.

If my son wants to ride, great....if not, well I guess I'll be selling the bike before too long since he'll be outgrowing it soon. I know when I was his age I would have killed to have the bike I got for him.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:00 PM   #8
Longnguyen

i got 5 across the eye every time i asked for anything.
Longnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:43 PM   #9
Candie

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre3k
Me and my wife have discussed this several times. If you look many of the younger athletes in any number of sports, but especially motorsports. The parents push the kids to excel and become champions. I think with motorsports there are more barriers to entry than others. How many 4 year kids go out and buy there first motocross bike? But at 4 years old a kid can easily decide to thats he wants to play t-ball and start working towards that.

In motocross or roadracing it's hard to be successful and not have parents that sit on their . Who is going to buy the bike, drive all across the county, work on the bike, pay for training? Look at any of the top athletes in any sport and their parents were a MAJOR factor in them being champions. Look at the Hayden clan, Colin Edwards and his dad, Rossi & his dad, this Steve Bonsey Kid, Tiger Woods, Elena Myers, the Williams sisters, Bubba Stewart.

Sounds a lot like gymnastics! My kid worksout 4 to 6 days a week 20+ hours a week year round! And guess who spends all those days at the gym with him. He loves the sport, but he also needs us to kick him in the behind sometimes when he gets lazy! Anything worth doing is gonna take work!

Last edited by Candie; 03-28-2007 at 08:27 PM.
Candie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:01 PM   #10
chasee69
ballin' outta control!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
CRF 50

i think its a good idea until the point it becomes too serious and the parents take the fun out of it

ducatisignature
chasee69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:15 PM   #11
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikp460.
i wish my parents were richer and more talented ..

:nono:

You should be glad for what you have and alive. Wait until you have kids and they tell you that.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:17 PM   #12
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
I didn't get when I was a kid either. My parents got me what I needed and not what I wanted. Two pairs of shoes every school year till I graduated HS. One at the start of school, and dress shoes for x-mas. Every f---ing year.

I could imagine if I asked for a dirt bike.
Ungrateful are we?
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:45 PM   #13
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

I don't know if it pertains to motorsports, skateboarding, football, art or science but I believe it comes down to providing opportunity and then fully supporting them when they latch on to something that interests them. I don't have kids so maybe I am clueless as well but this is how it will happen in my house when it is my turn.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:55 PM   #14
ikp460.
WHO DO VOODOO WE DO...?

Bike(s):
pHiDDy

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5
:nono:

You should be glad for what you have and alive. Wait until you have kids and they tell you that.
im am grateful i made it out alive... and i do have a child and i at least try to be more involved more than i can say for my parents
Old 03-28-2007, 08:57 PM   #15
Vandals
Scooter

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2003 Yamaha r1
1981 Honda Trail 110 -"The Tank"

My dad had plans to start doing trackdays with me this summer to try and get me into road racing while i was still young, but called him up and plans got cancelled.. I dream to still be able to race someday, but its hard to work your way up alone
Vandals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:59 AM   #16
andre3k
I see dead people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5
Ungrateful are we?
live my life then try to tell me that. i'm grateful for everything, yet reality remains reality.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:44 AM   #17
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandals
My dad had plans to start doing trackdays with me this summer to try and get me into road racing while i was still young, but called him up and plans got cancelled.. I dream to still be able to race someday, but its hard to work your way up alone
All you need to do is make a serious decission if you want to road race. You already have bikes and there are plenty of people who would be more than willing to help someone as young as you and in your position.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:19 AM   #18
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandals
Cameron, a great start would be to jump into TMGP for you, you're young and have lots to learn, as do we all. Like moody said, there are tons of us(people) who would be more than willing to help you out, for most of us it's too late to start doing anything seriously. It's just gonna take some money that's it. CMRA has a new Ninja 250 race class this year, you already have the bike, so you are $3500 ahead of the game already. That would be a great start. Let us know if we can help you out. .
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:25 AM   #19
BrutusTx

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
I don't know if it pertains to motorsports, skateboarding, football, art or science but I believe it comes down to providing opportunity and then fully supporting them when they latch on to something that interests them. I don't have kids so maybe I am clueless as well but this is how it will happen in my house when it is my turn.
+1.......I think too often parents push kids into doing what THEY (the parent) like, and sooner or later the kid say's "Oh no".
Old 03-29-2007, 09:25 AM   #20
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Send a message via AIM to BlackWidow
Quote:

I don't care what people say..I'm gonna force my kids to chase my dreams. I could'nt be anything big in motorcycling (think WSBK or MotoGP) - coz i lacked talent, support & time, i started way to late.

I'm gonna make sure i get married/or not but have kids from an Italian, a Spanish, a German & an Aussie wifey/girl friend.

That's the majority of MotoGP riders, - i figure with that kind of pool and training and support from ages 3-4, atleast one of them will make it to atleast AMA :laughing6

Now someone go find me those nationalities girls..

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
BlackWidow is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisement