Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #21
650ninja
speed is lovely

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 650r sold :(
02 daytona 955i is fat sold
06' Triumph Daytona 675 sold D:
2003 sv650 distroyer of fingers sold
2004 gsxr 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by less_than_coop View Post
What makes you think you should just get to step into an industry and immediately be making decent money? You have no experience, it seems, that is valuable but also dont seem to want to put in time to earn that higher pay.
Im not in the motorcycle industry, but I sure wouldnt hire you.
true but I would like to not be poor for years just to be a master tech. that and some times ur never chosen :/
like I said I've looked in to it and it didn't seem very appealing.
there r many jobs that u start out with at least a ok salary.
I was just being wishful/hopeful that's some one could post up a moto career I hadn't seen.
im probably going to just do something I don't really care about like the medical field
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
motorcycle careers ? AYEELE General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 05-13-2010 10:27 AM
JOBS C.Hern5972 Off Topic 27 05-01-2010 09:59 AM
BCS jobs less_than_coop Off Topic 24 04-27-2010 02:18 PM
boy jobs and girl jobs bioGuru Off Topic 18 04-20-2009 10:03 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #22
j_e_hurst
Josh

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Back on a GSXR!!! 08 600

Just remembered who you are. First off, learn how no to crash motorcycles (when you find out, let me know too)

How long have you has the new bike?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-03_11-40-42_352.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	71189  
Old 07-29-2013, 01:57 PM   #23
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650ninja View Post
true but I would like to not be poor for years just to be a master tech. that and some times ur never chosen :/
like I said I've looked in to it and it didn't seem very appealing.
there r many jobs that u start out with at least a ok salary.
I was just being wishful/hopeful that's some one could post up a moto career I hadn't seen.
im probably going to just do something I don't really care about like the medical field
Here's something Ive learned, take it or leave it. You take away more than just a paycheck and benefits from a job. You can follow your heart, and maybe not make as much cash as you'd like (or feel like you deserve), but if you truly love what you do it makes it worth it.
OR
You can take a job that is just a job. Score a heftier paycheck, and then use that extra dough to score some satisfaction outside of work (like playing with motos).
Seldom do people get the opportunity to have both. It happens, but not often.

I work for a non-profit serving youth. If you took my job description to private sector employers, I would probably come close to tacking an extra 50%-60% onto my pay, but I dont because I have heart for what I do.
So, its finding a balance that is the most important.
Also, there is no rule that says you cant try and have your cake and eat it to. Get two jobs, make some coin in one and earn some experience part-time working with/around bikes. You wont have much free time, but it might work out.
The other thought: be innovative. If you cant find a career working with motos in a way that interests you, and give you some money, think one up! Find a need and develop a model to fit that need.
Just my .02, as Ive been where you are in the past. I wanted so much to work with/around motos, even talked to a shop owner about it. Realized that wasnt the path for me, and moved on.

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #24
650ninja
speed is lovely

Bike(s):
2004 gsxr 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_e_hurst View Post
Just remembered who you are. First off, learn how no to crash motorcycles (when you find out, let me know too)

How long have you has the new bike?
Geez thanks for being a . Not long. I know u will find this funny cuz ur a but i just wrecked it cuz of a wonderful pick truck driver. It not to bad luckly.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #25
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Motorcycle techs don't make ... It's a fun job (sometimes) but you'll never make any real money. I worked for BMW/Triumph part time for 3 years, then I worked for Kawasaki part time for 1 year..

You gotta really hustle, be good on your game and HOPE there is a steady flow of bikes coming in. Even if you "beat the book" often and make no mistakes, you'll still struggle to break $50k a year.. I know a few Harley Techs that break $60k but....not often.. All depends on the dealer's service reputation and customer flow..

Realistically, $60k is gonna be about it and that's after 5+ years and staying real busy...

I enjoyed the job and the passion I had for bikes, customers etc etc... But there is no money in it... Unless you are a shop owner or dealer. I always worked a plant job for my full time gig and the bike stuff on the side...

My take on this is... Do what you love and make no money, do what you hate and make decent money...

Sorry but that's how it is...

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #26
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
it takes many yrs to become one if u ever do

Any job that actually pays well is going to be that way. ANY job: pro athlete, CEO, master tech...all those dudes put in some hours. Nobody is going to hand you a high dollar job without some nature of experience.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #27
650ninja
speed is lovely

Bike(s):
2004 gsxr 600

Thats how i thought it was oh well i can always ride to work and hope the pick-up trucks dont kill me
Old 07-29-2013, 02:25 PM   #28
650ninja
speed is lovely

Bike(s):
2004 gsxr 600

I didnt say high dollar
Old 07-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #29
SideVinder650

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen

if your not headed to MMI (the motorcycle version of UTI that an above poster erroneously suggested you steer clear of) then you need to look at either getting in on the ground floor of a shop or volunteering your time until you can make it.

Motorcycles are a labor of love, a passion even, that would require an extra level of commitment of both time and money (or lack there of)

Plainly put, you have to endear yourself to a shop or company if you dont have the credentials (read: schooling) to back it up.

If you want to "step into a good job" and not be broke as go take out a 25,000 student loan and head to MMI theres one here in town i believe.

or, you could get smart and find a trade that motorcycles overlap into such as machining, welding, fabricating, CNC drafting...etc. you just have to be creative if your not gonna drop the coin on the books.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #30
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

most trade/skilled positions have an earning potential based on the current market for that service. Folks just starting out are going to make half or less than half of that while they learn... and to get to full potential takes 5 to 7 years. fact of life.
Even if you go to one of the trade schools, you can not expect to step into a job at the full salary potential, most trade schools prepare you to be a good helper for a few years while you see how it is really done.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #31
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
Any job that actually pays well is going to be that way. ANY job: pro athlete, CEO, master tech...all those dudes put in some hours. Nobody is going to hand you a high dollar job without some nature of experience.
With the execption of hookers and weathermen.

Being a weatherman is the only job that you can be wrong at least once a week, and keep your job.

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #32
SideVinder650

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
most trade/skilled positions have an earning potential based on the current market for that service. Folks just starting out are going to make half or less than half of that while they learn... and to get to full potential takes 5 to 7 years. fact of life.
Even if you go to one of the trade schools, you can not expect to step into a job at the full salary potential, most trade schools prepare you to be a good helper for a few years while you see how it is really done.
agreed, especially in the types of trades that over lap in motorcycle related specialties.

For those types of jobs as obed has stated you just got 4 years of education to become a "really good helper" for a few years at least

You ought to consider finding a path in technology and having motorcycling as your hobby/recreation because it seems for young people its the last gold rush so to speak
Old 07-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #33
650ninja
speed is lovely

Bike(s):
2004 gsxr 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtdrivr View Post
With the execption of hookers and weathermen.

Being a weatherman is the only job that you can be wrong at least once a week, and keep your job.
lol
Old 07-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #34
650ninja
speed is lovely

Bike(s):
2004 gsxr 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90degree View Post
agreed, especially in the types of trades that over lap in motorcycle related specialties.

For those types of jobs as obed has stated you just got 4 years of education to become a "really good helper" for a few years at least

You ought to consider finding a path in technology and having motorcycling as your hobby/recreation because it seems for young people its the last gold rush so to speak
good too know
I shall look into it
Old 07-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #35
stache
noob

Experience: 3 years

Member Garage

Quote:
im trying to start up my career but I don't know what to do.
can y'all think of any jobs that involve motorcycles that also make decent money
Mechanical, electrical or software engineer.
All three will position you to start a career towards all things motorcycle.

Building the next engine, engineering the next electrical system, programming that system.

You can't build a decent house without a solid foundation. Good luck.
stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #36
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90degree View Post
If you want to "step into a good job" and not be broke as go take out a 25,000 student loan and head to MMI theres one here in town i believe.

Wouldn't starting out with $25k in debt make you broke as ?
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #37
Yillbs

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2007 Ninja 650R ( SOLD )
2012 FZ6R
2016 R6

Member Garage

Motorcycle sales managers in some dealerships make good money too. However, no offense of course, but your overall vibe, spelling, grammar, and the way you use words almost make it sound like you are closer to 10. Although, that could just be because you are here on the forums and not in person. Starting out in sales, and then going to sales management will always make something, not the most decent but hey. I started out making 5.15/hr, and now I work from home sitting on a computer all day, making 80k, and talking to all you fine folks.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #38
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yillbs View Post
Motorcycle sales managers in some dealerships make good money too. However, no offense of course, but your overall vibe, spelling, grammar, and the way you use words almost make it sound like you are closer to 10. Although, that could just be because you are here on the forums and not in person. Starting out in sales, and then going to sales management will always make something, not the most decent but hey. I started out making 5.15/hr, and now I work from home sitting on a computer all day, making 80k, and talking to all you fine folks.
get back to work!

and NO, I dont want to. This is what I get paid to do!

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:48 AM   #39
Supa Dave
The Chupacabra

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
GSX-R 600
KX250 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yillbs View Post
Out of curiosity what kind of work do u do from home?
Old 07-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #40
SideVinder650

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
Wouldn't starting out with $25k in debt make you broke as ?
Not when you finance your life style on credit, since its the thing to do now-adays, you may not be broke as but you'll be in debt the rest your life, two similar but ultimately different things..you can have lots of money but still be in debt.

besides, only logical people (such as yourself) would spot the irony in a decision making process such as that likely avoiding it altogether by "paying your way" as you worked to get where you want to be in life.

Advertisement