MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2007, 10:26 AM   #1
Costas

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'04 ZX-10R
'07 ZX-6R (track)
'04 ZX-6R (sold)
'05 Ninja 500 (sold)

Send a message via AIM to Costas
Helmet fitment issue

I recently got a medium size Shoei RF-1000 that I've had for almost a month now and it's starting to "break in" and I'm realizing that it might be just a tad bit too big for my head. When I tried them on at cyclegear, the small size felt really uncomfortable and it felt like my head was pulsating inside of it, so I decided to go with the medium being that it was still snug yet felt alot more comfortable.

Anywho, my question is.. the only part that it feels like it has more room than usual are the sides where my cheeks touch, I guess because I have really flat cheeks. Is there a way to switch out the padding on the sides with the padding the Small size helmet has? Would that make a difference? If so, where could I get it?

If not, I'll probably just buy the same one but small and sell this one, probably for around $210 for anyone that's interested, still pretty much perfect condition with box/warranty card/etc.. I just wish I didn't have a weird football shaped head lol.
Costas is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ARAI HELMETS with Jay Leno: Helmet Fitment...AND YOU. ormand General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 05-22-2013 09:11 AM
exhaust fitment messiah How To's and Q & A's 3 09-26-2012 04:44 PM
1-peice suit fitment Chubby Racer Taking it to the Track 24 02-18-2009 02:27 PM
suomy fitment sbfuller Gear Talk 5 10-15-2007 06:49 PM
HELMET FITMENT H2447INTX Gear Talk 6 09-14-2007 05:04 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2007, 10:27 AM   #2
therky42

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2006 VTX 1300C, YZ 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costas
I recently got a medium size Shoei RF-1000 that I've had for almost a month now and it's starting to "break in" and I'm realizing that it might be just a tad bit too big for my head. When I tried them on at cyclegear, the small size felt really uncomfortable and it felt like my head was pulsating inside of it, so I decided to go with the medium being that it was still snug yet felt alot more comfortable.

Anywho, my question is.. the only part that it feels like it has more room than usual are the sides where my cheeks touch, I guess because I have really flat cheeks. Is there a way to switch out the padding on the sides with the padding the Small size helmet has? Would that make a difference? If so, where could I get it?

If not, I'll probably just buy the same one but small and sell this one, probably for around $210 for anyone that's interested, still pretty much perfect condition with box/warranty card/etc.. I just wish I didn't have a weird football shaped head lol.
What design/colors?
therky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:32 AM   #3
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

You should be able to buy some thicker cheek pads. They will snug up the helmet. But if there is any room around your head, or any gaps between your head and the helmet, then you need a new one. That impact of head to inside of helmet can be bad.

I was told that when you try on a helmet, you should wear it for a couple minutes and see how it feels. It should feel too tight and give you a little headache, similar to the pulsating you described.

I could be completely wrong though, Im sure someone with a little more knowledge can help you out more.

Call Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited, Ive heard hes good with sizing.

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:36 AM   #4
issanni
assfault

Feedback Rating: (3)

Send a message via MSN to issanni Send a message via Yahoo to issanni
Order some replacement cheek pads from a size small. The shell size on a small and medium should be the same......the size small cheek pads will be thicker and should take up that slack.

NO way am I going to buy a helmet that causes me a little headache after only a couple of minutes! It should fit AS SNUG AS POSSIBLE with no pressure points or pain.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:38 AM   #5
Costas

Bike(s):
'04 ZX-10R
'07 ZX-6R (track)
'04 ZX-6R (sold)
'05 Ninja 500 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by less_than_coop
You should be able to buy some thicker cheek pads. They will snug up the helmet. But if there is any room around your head, or any gaps between your head and the helmet, then you need a new one. That impact of head to inside of helmet can be bad.

I was told that when you try on a helmet, you should wear it for a couple minutes and see how it feels. It should feel too tight and give you a little headache, similar to the pulsating you described.

I could be completely wrong though, Im sure someone with a little more knowledge can help you out more.

Call Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited, Ive heard hes good with sizing.
Great info, I'll probably have to go back to a store and try some out for a longer period of time just to be sure I'm getting the right size, but I'm sure small should be okay for me, but I'll probably first try getting some replacement pads, I just gotta figure out who has them lol.

therky42, it's just a basic gloss black finish, no designs.

edit: found some here
http://www.ridegear.com/rg/F-27956.h...=11-25029185-2

XS/Md/Lg are all in the same category, so would I go with something that has a larger MM rating?

edit2: nvm that's not even the right helmet lol gotta run to class for now though i'll search more later.

Last edited by Costas; 03-28-2007 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:42 AM   #6
wever411
Gunt Puncher

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 3 years

that's why I went to Motorcycles Unlimited, Patrick measured my head and told me what size would fit me and recommended which brands would fit the shape of my head. cycle gear didn't do that.
wever411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:42 AM   #7
SecretAgent
The one and only

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
you'll probably fit a lot better in an arai, they're made for more oval shaped heads. take a look at the profile, it's very similar in price and features to the RF-1000.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:56 AM   #8
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
Originally Posted by issanni
NO way am I going to buy a helmet that causes me a little headache after only a couple of minutes! It should fit AS SNUG AS POSSIBLE with no pressure points or pain.

If its comfortable in the store, its loose in a week when its broken in.
Like a pair of nice leather shoes, they are tight and cause a little discomfort in the store, then break in to your foot and are perfect.

Khaki shirt.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:01 AM   #9
issanni
assfault

Feedback Rating: (3)

Send a message via MSN to issanni Send a message via Yahoo to issanni
Quote:
Originally Posted by less_than_coop
If its comfortable in the store, its loose in a week when its broken in.
Like a pair of nice leather shoes, they are tight and cause a little discomfort in the store, then break in to your foot and are perfect.

I hear what you're saying....but I'm still not going to buy one that gives me a headache in 2 minutes. I tried on 6-8 different helmets before I bought my HJC and that was just to get me by until I could find what I really liked and what really fit well, which was my Arai.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:16 AM   #10
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
Originally Posted by issanni
I hear what you're saying....but I'm still not going to buy one that gives me a headache in 2 minutes. I tried on 6-8 different helmets before I bought my HJC and that was just to get me by until I could find what I really liked and what really fit well, which was my Arai.

I hear you too. Ultimately if a helmets fit inspires confidence in its protective ability, then all is good.

and +1 on getting the crude helmet until you can afford a good one. I was rockin' Icon() and now Im in a used Shoei.

When the cash pans out its time for a nice cherry lid!

Khaki shirt.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:20 AM   #11
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Bike(s):
:: 05 GSXR 750 ::

:: 07 GSXR 1K ::
:: 11 ZUMA 125 ::
stop listing what u sold here - nobody cares...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wever411
I went to Motorcycles Unlimited, Patrick measured my head and told me what size would fit me and recommended which brands would fit the shape of my head.
+1

not all brands will fit your head the same way... believe me - they have a LOT of experience with fitting... they're the only ones i trust when it comes to the gear i wear... on or off the track...
Old 03-28-2007, 11:27 AM   #12
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK Bandito
+1

not all brands will fit your head the same way... believe me - they have a LOT of experience with fitting... they're the only ones i trust when it comes to the gear i wear... on or off the track...
+1 My new Suomy fits great.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:10 PM   #13
Costas

Bike(s):
'04 ZX-10R
'07 ZX-6R (track)
'04 ZX-6R (sold)
'05 Ninja 500 (sold)

Hmm, looks like I'll be heading over to Motorcycles Unlimited pretty soon then.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:12 PM   #14
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Hmm, looks like I'll be heading over to Motorcycles Unlimited pretty soon then.
Adjusting the padding in your current helmet will probably do the trick.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:05 PM   #15
trupp

Bike(s):
98 R1

I thought the rf-1000's had different size cheek pads available. If so see if you can buy the next size smaller cheek pads.
trupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:33 PM   #16
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

has it been a full 30 days, C/G has a good return policy.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:21 PM   #17
Costas

Bike(s):
'04 ZX-10R
'07 ZX-6R (track)
'04 ZX-6R (sold)
'05 Ninja 500 (sold)

it was bought online and right now it already has some light scratches and what not from keys or other things hitting it, no idea what.

i just went ahead and ordered some new cheek pads from newenough.com, the medium ones measured in at 35mm and small measured in at 39mm so hopefully it'll do the trick, however they do also have 41mm available. the helmet fits perfect on the top of my head, no kind of gap at all, it's just the cheeks that have a little bit of play. if not, then i'll go with my initial plan of getting size small in a different brand maybe and selling this one if the new cheek pads don't do the trick. thanks for the help guys

Last edited by Costas; 03-28-2007 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:40 PM   #18
Costas

Bike(s):
'04 ZX-10R
'07 ZX-6R (track)
'04 ZX-6R (sold)
'05 Ninja 500 (sold)

I went ahead and got the cheek pads, they got here yesterday and I went for a ride today and they made a huge difference. they hug my cheeks nice and tight now like when my grandma used to pinch them haha whereas before they just sorta rested on my face. now I just need to get a smoked visor for those sunny days and i'm set
Old 04-01-2007, 03:13 PM   #19
YankeeR6
Lets ride!!

Bike(s):
06 R6 50th A.E.

Send a message via AIM to YankeeR6 Send a message via Yahoo to YankeeR6
The same thing with my shoei after I bought it. I bought an xl cause the L was to tight and now that it's broken in its pretty darn loose. I gotta get some cheek pads and see if that helps.

sig600x150
YankeeR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:18 PM   #20
Fight The Chaos

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
04 cbr 600
'06 zx6r
'03 250r
'05 R1

Quote:

Anywho, my question is.. the only part that it feels like it has more room than usual are the sides where my cheeks touch, I guess because I have really flat cheeks. Is there a way to switch out the padding on the sides with the padding the Small size helmet has?

..ha ha! We should ride out sometime

-sergio
Fight The Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement