MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's.....
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
brandontx

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

My first time at a MX track

Killing time until a meeting this afternoon so I thought I'd write a little review of my first MX outing. So I've been riding motards for a few years after getting bored with street bikes, and got into trail riding with a proper dirt bike not long ago so decided to give mx a try. Been wanting to do it for a while just haven't had a chance to go. Finally decided to take last Friday off to go as I'm out of weekend hall passes. LOL.

Got to Ultimate MX in Alvin at about 9am when they opened and got set up waiting for Tony1k to arrive and tow me around. Asked a few of the guys already there for some tips on my first time out as I was a little nervous because everything looked twice as big as it did on video. "Don't attempt to clear anything, don't get cross rutted in the back section, and go slow." So basically try not to die, well that reassuring. Went out and rode for about 15 minutes and it is definitely much much much harder than it looks. Arm pump set in after 3 laps and I went down once in a berm.

Tony finally arrived with breakfast sandwiches, fans, and a pop up tent thingie. He suggested using my legs more and to make sure I get my nuts on the tank and weight the front. Next session out I try it and it works. Arm pump after 4 laps instead of 3. Haha. But I am able to carry more speed in the berms without the front washing out.

Next couple sessions I start trying to clear the jumps other than the two big tabletops and one where the landing is in a small kicker. Am able to clear most of them just not all in one lap. Still totally lost at this point as to which jump is which on the track but am trying to concentrate on clearing one or two of them each go around. Finally linked up like 3 in a row and what an awesome feeling. It is much less tiring when you actually land correctly.

Start feeling more comfortable with the controlled chaos of it. Bike getting sideways out of the berm, landing crooked, getting crossed up when braking hard, etc. Able to carry much more speed throught the turns just after a few sessions. My nervousness had gone away after the second session and I was having more fun that I've had in a while. Was actually yelling in my helmet a few times "Woohoo". LOL. Had to head home soon to pick up my daughter from day care so was on my last lap and feeling really tired and getting lazy. Bad idea.

Landed kind of weird dropping off the back face of a jump and got lazy and wasn't gripping the bike with my legs like I should. Started to slide towards the rear fender and at that point I was barely holding on to the bike as it caught me off guard. WHISKEY THROTTLE! That 250 revved to the moon and was suprised how quickly the front end came up. I haven't been able to do third gear power wheelies that high in the rpm until now. LOL. At that point the little 250 decided it was tired and wanted to lay down for a minute. I landed right on my and my bony dug into the dirt stopping me instantly. Horrible pain shot up my lower back and I can't breath. Arms...check....legs....check....can still feel my toes...check...aware of my surroundings....check. Now get off the track before you get run over I thought. After the rolling around like I was on fire and zombie noises subsided I get back to the truck and load up. Ended up just spraining my lower back and bruised a kidney. Both of which I've done numerous times so wasn't too big of a deal. Hurt like but I'm fine today although I'm taking it easy for a few weeks to I don't irritate my lower back.

Other than my little get off I had an awesome time and can't wait to go do it again. Learned way more than I thought I would the first time and would like to thank Tony for towing me around and Longboarder for coming over to get my bike off the truck.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swimming, new past time at 3 Palms MX track? Buelligan Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 3 05-17-2015 04:29 PM
First time doing mx in a decade(video) ArkansasDave Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 13 03-23-2015 02:42 PM
new mx track. derekvercher Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 7 04-25-2011 04:08 PM
s-mx boots, do they become more flexible over time? Unicron Gear Talk 7 02-09-2010 07:29 PM
first time with MX at Ultimate MX houseofpaint Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 35 12-22-2008 06:28 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
I got to get another dirtbike....even if it only means 2 or 3 rides a year. Consecutive jumps are awesome...hitting doubles feel even better. I never did a triple. 3 laps on a big GP track will kill the forearms....beware, dirt looks softer...but it isn't. Keep it safe, that daughter needs her daddy mobile.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Haha good write up brick...If I remember correctly u were always crashing your SM when we started up on those.....

Guess what? Ill be off Fri-Sat next few weeks so Im ready for some MX!!!

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
brandontx

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post
Haha good write up brick...If I remember correctly u were always crashing your SM when we started up on those.....

Guess what? Ill be off Fri-Sat next few weeks so Im ready for some MX!!!
I think I crashed my Husky once a week for the first year or so. LOL. And have yet to be on a dirt ride where I haven't crashed. This was definitely the biggest hit I've taken in a while. Thankfully I don't do that very often.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

braaaaaaaaaaaaaap!

mx is so much fun. enjoy it dude!
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

awesome write up, gravity sure sucks tho.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
longboarder65

Feedback Rating: (0)

Husaberg TE 300-plated
KTM 690R
KTM 250SX

I never crash, I'm awesome. Well there was that one time I hit a tree, then that other time I hit a tree..........other than that I never crash.
longboarder65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

i am a tree and ground magnet.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

I enjoyed reading this so thank you for posting. Alot of people here on the forum tend to see me pop up in the dirt bike and MX threads because I rode/raced for years. I was literally addicted, like a crackhead, to the sport for a long time. I could not get enough of it. I used to work 3 jobs to afford racing every weekend and practicing at the track once or twice during the week. Spent every dime I made on riding and racing with no regrets.

There's no better feeling than riding on a track. Clearing that double or tabletop for the first time, flying into a soft berm to just destroy it, there's nothing like it. One of these days, i'm going to get another MX bike and start riding again. Riding my supermoto like a hooligan will only hold me over for soo long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #10
Tony1K
CMRA #721

Feedback Rating: (20)

Bike(s):
2015 Aprilia RSV4 Factory Race Bike
2011 YZ450F Dirt
2015 Honda Grom

Glad you had fun... Ultimate was a blast, hadn't been there in a long time.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #11
dinosaur
Retired in place

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'05 Zx6-R (636)Sold

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
Killing time until a meeting this afternoon so I thought I'd write a little review of my first MX outing. So I've been riding motards for a few years after getting bored with street bikes, and got into trail riding with a proper dirt bike not long ago so decided to give mx a try. Been wanting to do it for a while just haven't had a chance to go. Finally decided to take last Friday off to go as I'm out of weekend hall passes. LOL.

Got to Ultimate MX in Alvin at about 9am when they opened and got set up waiting for Tony1k to arrive and tow me around. Asked a few of the guys already there for some tips on my first time out as I was a little nervous because everything looked twice as big as it did on video. "Don't attempt to clear anything, don't get cross rutted in the back section, and go slow." So basically try not to die, well that reassuring. Went out and rode for about 15 minutes and it is definitely much much much harder than it looks. Arm pump set in after 3 laps and I went down once in a berm.

Tony finally arrived with breakfast sandwiches, fans, and a pop up tent thingie. He suggested using my legs more and to make sure I get my nuts on the tank and weight the front. Next session out I try it and it works. Arm pump after 4 laps instead of 3. Haha. But I am able to carry more speed in the berms without the front washing out.

Next couple sessions I start trying to clear the jumps other than the two big tabletops and one where the landing is in a small kicker. Am able to clear most of them just not all in one lap. Still totally lost at this point as to which jump is which on the track but am trying to concentrate on clearing one or two of them each go around. Finally linked up like 3 in a row and what an awesome feeling. It is much less tiring when you actually land correctly.

Start feeling more comfortable with the controlled chaos of it. Bike getting sideways out of the berm, landing crooked, getting crossed up when braking hard, etc. Able to carry much more speed throught the turns just after a few sessions. My nervousness had gone away after the second session and I was having more fun that I've had in a while. Was actually yelling in my helmet a few times "Woohoo". LOL. Had to head home soon to pick up my daughter from day care so was on my last lap and feeling really tired and getting lazy. Bad idea.

Landed kind of weird dropping off the back face of a jump and got lazy and wasn't gripping the bike with my legs like I should. Started to slide towards the rear fender and at that point I was barely holding on to the bike as it caught me off guard. WHISKEY THROTTLE! That 250 revved to the moon and was suprised how quickly the front end came up. I haven't been able to do third gear power wheelies that high in the rpm until now. LOL. At that point the little 250 decided it was tired and wanted to lay down for a minute. I landed right on my and my bony dug into the dirt stopping me instantly. Horrible pain shot up my lower back and I can't breath. Arms...check....legs....check....can still feel my toes...check...aware of my surroundings....check. Now get off the track before you get run over I thought. After the rolling around like I was on fire and zombie noises subsided I get back to the truck and load up. Ended up just spraining my lower back and bruised a kidney. Both of which I've done numerous times so wasn't too big of a deal. Hurt like but I'm fine today although I'm taking it easy for a few weeks to I don't irritate my lower back.

Other than my little get off I had an awesome time and can't wait to go do it again. Learned way more than I thought I would the first time and would like to thank Tony for towing me around and Longboarder for coming over to get my bike off the truck.
When are you going realize you are not the 20 yr old you once were?
CMRA #414
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:08 PM   #12
brandontx

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post

When are you going realize you are not the 20 yr old you once were?
I'm 29...until I turn 40...then ill be 39.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #13
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1K View Post
Glad you had fun... Ultimate was a blast, hadn't been there in a long time.
how come you never take me to ultimate?
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:18 PM   #14
Jredford
Rotsevnieht

Bike(s):
FZ1
R1200RT
CRF450X Tard
R6 Friggin Rocket Ship
CRMA Lic #622

Awesome dude, I dont care what Adam says... brick...

"Racing is life... everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in 'Le Mans'
Jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:06 AM   #15
perkybewbs

Ultimate is an awesome track. The dirt is perfect. Glenn doesnt play around about keeping that track prepped. Too bad I live so far away from it. Heard there's something new going up down that way. They're going to build an endurocross track. I've been wanting to try that for a long time. Be safe dude.
perkybewbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #16
brandontx

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkybewbs View Post
Ultimate is an awesome track. The dirt is perfect. Glenn doesnt play around about keeping that track prepped. Too bad I live so far away from it. Heard there's something new going up down that way. They're going to build an endurocross track. I've been wanting to try that for a long time. Be safe dude.
It was prepped nicely. Only one small section with ruts but it wasn't in a jump or turn. Are they going to build an endurocross track there or somewhere else? I would love to try that out.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:17 PM   #17
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

i miss the dirt so bad.. 17 yrs playing in the dirt and it still in my veins... brap

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:26 PM   #18
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

To think that I used to race. WOW.

My old would be in pain after 2 laps. I'm not sure I know how to jump a bike anymore!

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:20 PM   #19
CG636
Braaaaaap

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
KTM 525 sumo

Member Garage

Endurocross, Motocross track, trails and fishing ponds coming soon in la marque off of 45s next the the bmx track.
TXORR #63C
CG636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:25 PM   #20
Tony1K
CMRA #721

Feedback Rating: (20)

Bike(s):
2015 Aprilia RSV4 Factory Race Bike
2011 YZ450F Dirt
2015 Honda Grom

Quote:
Originally Posted by switch View Post
how come you never take me to ultimate?
Everyone wants to go to rio all the time. I like ultimate.

Advertisement