MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #21
tankmonkey
Senior Member
 
tankmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Katy
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 706

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
sv650s (race)
ninja 250r (race)
crf450x motard (rip)







Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumo View Post
Undergo test drive with officer riding in my roommate's car behind me and they'd honk to direct me to turn left or right.
don't forget - while on your test drive if your chase driver broke a driving rule, *you'd* fail your test and get to start over.

ah yes, the good old days...
tankmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motorcycle Technology Classes? Navajib General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 10-17-2008 03:00 PM
CCS Classes ??? Solracer Taking it to the Track 17 04-16-2008 09:48 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #22
Jredford
Rotsevnieht
 
Jredford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,037

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
FZ1
R1200RT
CRF450X Tard
R6 Friggin Rocket Ship
CRMA Lic #622






Quote:
Originally Posted by xxjarrodxx View Post
If it was because of rising cost then I'm fine with that. It says they are asking for more just because they can. That is the difference to me. I understand where you are coming from though.
Supply and demand.
__________________


"Racing is life... everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in 'Le Mans'
Jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:29 PM   #23
Rowdy76
Senior Member
 
Rowdy76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Spring
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,831

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS




Member Garage


I think I paid $180 in 2008 ... price of gas has stayed up (they supply bikes and gas), insurance has gone up, cost of living has gone up ..etc. $20 more for instruction that can save your life and get you started .... priceless. If is was $300 still worth it.
Rowdy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #24
Donte
Im The Dreaded One
 
Donte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tomball, Woodlands, Spring
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 913

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
GS500F




Member Garage





Although I agree with you guys on 200 being cheap for what the class teaches. I have a lot of friends who want to ride but when I tell them you have to take the class and how much it is, it scares them off a little. Also in Pennsylvania the class is free, wish I would have taken it there but was to young.
Donte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #25
Copperhead
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 204












Then don't go to school. Who cares? I don't. It's not worth it to me and I didn't learn jack. I knew how to ride prior but the world isn't full of smart people so.....
Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #26
Rowdy76
Senior Member
 
Rowdy76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Spring
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,831

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS




Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
Then don't go to school. Who cares? I don't. It's not worth it to me and I didn't learn jack. I knew how to ride prior but the world isn't full of smart people so.....
If you took nothing away from the class you did not try to learn then.
Rowdy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #27
Rowdy76
Senior Member
 
Rowdy76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Spring
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,831

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS




Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by Donte View Post
Although I agree with you guys on 200 being cheap for what the class teaches. I have a lot of friends who want to ride but when I tell them you have to take the class and how much it is, it scares them off a little. Also in Pennsylvania the class is free, wish I would have taken it there but was to young.
Donte if they can't save up $200 to do they something they want ... How are they going to be when it comes to gear. No one said owning a bike was cheap.
Rowdy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #28
r6racer
track
 
r6racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 8,582

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage





200 is insane. when i took mine in va it was like 120
__________________
r6racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #29
Copperhead
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 204












Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy76 View Post
If you took nothing away from the class you did not try to learn then.
I passed. That's what I took away. They didn't tell me anything I was already told. So don't tell me I wasn't trying to learn especially if I passed. I did everything they asked of me. I'm not putting them down because I've had past motorcycle experience but it was a total waste of my time and money. I didn't have a choice to not waste it if I wanted to ride a motorcycle legally in the state so I just bit the bullet. It's not like you have to wave at them on the road lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy76 View Post
Donte if they can't save up $200 to do they something they want ... How are they going to be when it comes to gear. No one said owning a bike was cheap.
You don't need to wear gear. Good thing we don't force whatever you want on others. Bike ownership is cheaper than my car ownership. I save a lot of money on gas alone on it.

Last edited by Copperhead; 07-14-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #30
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?
 
RACER X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Richmond, Tx
Feedback Rating: (26)
Posts: 33,488

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold






Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
I passed. That's what I took away. They didn't tell me anything I was already told. So don't tell me I wasn't trying to learn especially if I passed. I did everything they asked of me. I'm not putting them down because I've had past motorcycle experience but it was a total waste of my time and money. I didn't have a choice to not waste it if I wanted to ride a motorcycle legally in the state so I just bit the bullet. It's not like you have to wave at them on the road lol.

.
Man ive had students who been riding for decades and admitted they learned something from class, you must know everything already..... props to you.
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
2014 GROM
181cc's BABY!
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #31
Copperhead
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 204












Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
Man ive had students who been riding for decades and admitted they learned something from class, you must know everything already..... props to you.
No not at all. I've learned a lot and still do riding with other people some who are everyday riders and some who are every week racers but in that class. I learned nothing I wasn't already told. Hence, I learned nothing new. I'm not throwing the class under the bus at all. I'm definitely the minority and many others clearly benefit from the class. I'm just not one of them. Mind you, this is just the basic course.
Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #32
Rowdy76
Senior Member
 
Rowdy76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Spring
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,831

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS




Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
I passed. That's what I took away. They didn't tell me anything I was already told. So don't tell me I wasn't trying to learn especially if I passed. I did everything they asked of me. I'm not putting them down because I've had past motorcycle experience but it was a total waste of my time and money. I didn't have a choice to not waste it if I wanted to ride a motorcycle legally in the state so I just bit the bullet. It's not like you have to wave at them on the road lol.

And how long did you ride before taking the class? And I took the class with people who had rode for years with a license and took the class for insurance deduction. Even they took something away so I will stick to my original statement you were not trying to learn and just went through the motions to get ur license. And if that is all you wanted then you got what you felt you needed out of it.

You don't need to wear gear. Good thing we don't force whatever you want on others. Bike ownership is cheaper than my car ownership. I save a lot of money on gas alone on it.
You don't need to wear gear ????... Ok you just went full . Never go full .

Last edited by Rowdy76; 07-14-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Rowdy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #33
Doug
Hangover
 
Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Katy
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 608

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
FLTRX









The tax cut expirations at the beginning of the year and the looming monstrous increases in health care costs in no way could effect the increase in prices.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #34
Copperhead
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 204












You're projecting and you don't know me. It wasn't anything like that. I came up to that conclusion after taking my course and reviewing what I was told and what I had done. I didn't learn anything that I didn't already know.

There are experienced riders who did the basic course who came up to the same conclusion as me who I talked to. There are experienced riders who you say they admitted to taking something away. That's all ok. Don't act like you know what I was trying to do or you were standing over me the entire time. You can learn all you like on the course and still fail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy76 View Post
You don't need to wear gear ????... Ok you just went full . Never go full .
Actually you are going full not me. No one needs to wear it. A need is something that you have as a means in order to get to the end. You don't "need" by law to wear anything except a helmet and even then you are exempt from that if you are 21 and older and have proof of the completion of course or motorcycle health insurance plan. It may be a need for you but it isn't a need for all. I guess it's unfortunate you can't force your will for all.

Think of it like this as consolation. Those riding without gear will start dying everywhere therefore freeing up more road for you. People want to wear gear and that's fine. My choices nor do others affect you. So I don't care what they do. I don't have opinions on others' choices. If you fit the exemption then gear is a want and not a need. That is ok.
Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #35
CUZ
Wheelie Man
 
CUZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dickinson
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,875


Bike(s):
09 ninja 250









Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpRice View Post
Pay to play
Pretty much
__________________
An amateur practices until he can get it right.
A professional practices until he can't get it wrong.



Take That Dive
CUZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #36
Rowdy76
Senior Member
 
Rowdy76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Spring
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,831

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS




Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
You're projecting and you don't know me. It wasn't anything like that. I came up to that conclusion after taking my course and reviewing what I was told and what I had done. I didn't learn anything that I didn't already know.

There are experienced riders who did the basic course who came up to the same conclusion as me who I talked to. There are experienced riders who you say they admitted to taking something away. That's all ok. Don't act like you know what I was trying to do or you were standing over me the entire time. You can learn all you like on the course and still fail.

Actually you are going full not me. No one needs to wear it. A need is something that you have as a means in order to get to the end. You don't "need" by law to wear anything except a helmet and even then you are exempt from that if you are 21 and older and have proof of the completion of course or motorcycle health insurance plan. It may be a need for you but it isn't a need for all. I guess it's unfortunate you can't force your will for all.

Think of it like this as consolation. Those riding without gear will start dying everywhere therefore freeing up more road for you. People want to wear gear and that's fine. My choices nor do others affect you. So I don't care what they do. I don't have opinions on others' choices. If you fit the exemption then gear is a want and not a need. That is ok.
You just made a few statements that leads to believe you were dropped on your head as a kid to many times. You are right I will stop trying to figure out what is not going on in that head of yours. I know what my limitations are and what I need to learn ... Obviously you got this figured out. I know I could benefit from some more instruction and I'm going to get some. After riding with you before maybe you should have listened more cause what you think you know ... I was behind you and I don't know but it made me uncomfortable.
Rowdy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #37
Copperhead
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 204












Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy76 View Post
You just made a few statements that leads to believe you were dropped on your head as a kid to many times. You are right I will stop trying to figure out what is not going on in that head of yours. I know what my limitations are and what I need to learn ... Obviously you got this figured out. I know I could benefit from some more instruction and I'm going to get some. After riding with you before maybe you should have listened more cause what you think you know ... I was behind you and I don't know but it made me uncomfortable.
Look in the mirror before you talk. You're uncomfortable because of your own self not me. You never rode directly behind me. I wouldn't put myself in front of you. I keep watch over my rear views and I let people go to get in an optimal position. You were always falling back until people asked where the you were.

I know what I need to learn and the MSF didn't teach me anything to improve myself. Yet if I'm talking with seasoned riders on a ride. They tell me things which are very beneficial. We all can benefit from more instruction. I never said I had anything figured out. I learned more sitting on my watching/reading Twist of the Wrist then paying $180 for an MSF course. You're just assuming. Don't assume because you're making an "" out of "u" and "me". You were never trying to figure out. You just jumped on me (like I asked you what you think ) and started telling me my whole thought process like you're the Rider Whisperer or something.
Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #38
bioGuru
Aut inveniam viam aut fac
 
bioGuru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Woodlands area
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 2,789

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki GSX650F - sold




Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpRice View Post
Pay to play
no kidding. $200 is CHEAP in the scheme of things - a few oil changes and beers.

People spend thousands on a bike - probably 800 on gear and whine about $200 for a course that could save their life?
__________________
web banner 392x72

Motorcycling in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.
bioGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #39
Rowdy76
Senior Member
 
Rowdy76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Spring
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,831

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS




Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
Look in the mirror before you talk. You're uncomfortable because of your own self not me. You never rode directly behind me. I wouldn't put myself in front of you. I keep watch over my rear views and I let people go to get in an optimal position. You were always falling back until people asked where the you were.

I know what I need to learn and the MSF didn't teach me anything to improve myself. Yet if I'm talking with seasoned riders on a ride. They tell me things which are very beneficial. We all can benefit from more instruction. I never said I had anything figured out. I learned more sitting on my watching/reading Twist of the Wrist then paying $180 for an MSF course. You're just assuming. Don't assume because you're making an "" out of "u" and "me". You were never trying to figure out. You just jumped on me (like I asked you what you think ) and started telling me my whole thought process like you're the Rider Whisperer or something.
There was a reason I fell back. I wanted to make it home. And yeah I was behind you .. For sure not in front of you. You keep doing your thing the way you want ... Stay safe and out there ... It's not worth arguing about.
Rowdy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #40
r6racer
track
 
r6racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 8,582

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage





Ive spent around $4k on gear and i just started riding this year lol but like easily half of that is the dainese track suit and alpinestars suit*

anyway nah you dont need to wear gear. he's right lol you dont even have to wear a helmet in texas
__________________
r6racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy