MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2007, 10:52 AM   #21
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
oh yea. pull your right air duct off and check your coolent level. if its good than start your motor with the radiator cap off of it. and watch for coolent bubbling out when it starts to get a little hot. and if you give it a little rev, normally the coolent will go down a little and come back up when the revs go down. but if it spills over when you give it a little rev, then theres a good chance your thermostat is stuck open.
Romeo36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Worries Crossfits The Circus 3 03-27-2015 11:28 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-26-2007, 11:55 AM   #22
maskale

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2005 CBR600RR Trackbike
2007 Warrior Midnight

If the thermostat is stuck open and all else is good then his bike would not be over heating.
maskale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:43 PM   #23
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):

^^my friend you are incorrect. if the thermo is stuck open than the coolant is running to fast through the radiator which causes the coolant to rise in temperature because it is not in the radiator long enough for it to cool down.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:49 PM   #24
dhdrider

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamrc51
...with a red light indicating its hot. I called suzuki and he told me that these bikes run warmer and not to worry
:laughing6 That guy at the dealership is a friggin moron. Yep, it's normal for the red light to come on... :BangHead:

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:50 PM   #25
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo36
^^my friend you are incorrect. if the thermo is stuck open than the coolant is running to fast through the radiator which causes the coolant to rise in temperature because it is not in the radiator long enough for it to cool down.
+1
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:51 PM   #26
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575
doesn't sound normal to me. You didn't sell the rc did you? nothing should run hotter than the rc
RC's don't really run that hot. It seems hotter cause the radiators are on the side and you have a rear cylinder/header pipe under your nuts.

CBR1000s run hotter than my RC.

At speed in the summertime, my RC runs at about 180-190. That's pretty cool. Trackdays she runs just over 200...

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 02:05 PM   #27
OJgsxr

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2002 GSXR 750
2008 GSXR 600

Send a message via AIM to OJgsxr
I ran into this exact problem with my car a month or so ago. It turned out that the thermo switch was bad. The fans would never come on (unless I turned on the AC obviously not possible with the bike) and it would over heat at lights but as soon as I started moving again the temp came back into a normal range. So check the thermo switch its a cheap and easy thing to do.

Also my '02 GSXR 750 never goes over 220 degrees even sitting in traffic or going like 5mph in freeway traffic so there is definitely something wrong.
OJgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 02:08 PM   #28
issanni
assfault

Feedback Rating: (3)

Send a message via MSN to issanni Send a message via Yahoo to issanni
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo36

Not sure on bikes, never had one stick open. But on a car I'd believe you'd be the one who's wrong. Have run several cars with no t-stat or one stuck open and they have always run too cool unless there was another problem too.

Never the less, he needs to check the coolant level....drain and flush and refill as well as replace the t-stat and hoses would be best. I suppose it depends on the milage but I never trust hoses once a motor has gotten over hot....just not worth the risk to save a few bucks.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:16 PM   #29
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):

on my 750 last year the bike would be fin for about the first 2 hours in the endurance race but we started to notice that the temp would slowly increase as the race went on. which was causing the water to boil out. we would have been ****ed if it hadnt been for red flags
Old 03-26-2007, 02:31 PM   #30
Homebrew
AkA Rubbersidedown

Feedback Rating: (25)

Bike(s):
gsxr 600
custom pocket rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by issanni
Not sure on bikes, never had one stick open. But on a car I'd believe you'd be the one who's wrong. Have run several cars with no t-stat or one stuck open and they have always run too cool unless there was another problem too.

Never the less, he needs to check the coolant level....drain and flush and refill as well as replace the t-stat and hoses would be best. I suppose it depends on the milage but I never trust hoses once a motor has gotten over hot....just not worth the risk to save a few bucks.
all depends on what kind of car...old skool front mount fans maybe no t-stat is ok.....newer cars with no t-stat will overheat in traffic w/electric fans...fo sure

Advertisement