MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
Deviousin

Feedback Rating: (0)

R6 with no RPM

I'm typing this up before I go to work so I apologize in advance for any missing details. My bike is an 06 R6

4 weeks ago my bike got laid down because my friend forgot to clutch and or switch to neutral as he came to a stop . The damage was only some scratches on the left fairing and a cracked stator cover which started leaking oil. I had to leave for vacation soon after that so I didn't even start to work on it until two weeks ago.

The stator cover was no biggie, it was the oil change that got me. It gave me trying to change it because the previous owner (I recently got it, hadn't done maintenance on it yet) cranked on the oil filter and bolt extra hard and I had to do it over the course of a week since I kept running out of daylight.

However, when I finally finished, I start her up and she's very weak. At first she was hard to start up, but now she does it right away. But she still doesn't go over 3.5 - 4k rpm in any gear. I don't know what I did to cause this since she was completely fine before and the only things I touched were the stator cover and change the oil...

Any help or idea what this might be?
Deviousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My RPM/MH Tattoo.... Gimpin2Fold Off Topic 29 08-23-2013 09:12 AM
06-07 R6 rpm questions AYEELE General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 12-15-2011 08:12 PM
freeway RPM's... Ares General Discussion (Moto Related) 32 10-16-2009 02:14 AM
How do you Ride High RPM OR Low RPM Bobbarker20 Gear Talk 3 10-02-2008 06:26 PM
RPM Question... GQ* General Discussion (Moto Related) 52 05-27-2008 08:05 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2013, 07:43 AM   #2
bluewave18
Safety Third

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

If it took that long to change the oil I have to ask if you are sure you added the proper amount of oil. Also, check the air filter box for oil.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
Deviousin

I tried tool after tool in order to get the filter off but nothing worked. In the end I bought a metal filter removal cap, drilled holes in it and screwed it on to the oil filter so I could ratchet it off. That's a whole story by itself

I put in enough oil to get it in the shaded area of the dipstick, over three quarts of mobile one full synthetic. How would oil get in the air filter box? I'm not familiar with that part of my bike yet
Old 07-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #4
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Did you check the level again after starting it
Old 07-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviousin View Post
I tried tool after tool in order to get the filter off but nothing worked. In the end I bought a metal filter removal cap, drilled holes in it and screwed it on to the oil filter so I could ratchet it off. That's a whole story by itself

I put in enough oil to get it in the shaded area of the dipstick, over three quarts of mobile one full synthetic. How would oil get in the air filter box? I'm not familiar with that part of my bike yet
When it was on its side its possible that oil got into the filter box. Its pretty common.
When you checked the oil level was the bike on its stand or where you holding it level?
You could have saved some time and trouble by punching a screw driver through the filter to unscrew it
Old 07-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Bad TPS sensor? Pretty common on these bikes.
Put the bike in diagnostic mode and check the cluster readings to see if it's out of spec.
Sometimes the wiring connector comes out of the sensor too.

Any Power Commander/Bazzaz on the bike?
Old 07-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

To me it makes more sense to connect this issue with the fact that the bike fell on its side before looking at other possible causes.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Deviousin

I let it run, for a bit, then checked it. I tried checking it after riding but I almost burned my finger so I didn't. Could low oil really do this?
Old 07-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

How are you burning your finger checking the oil? WTf are you doing?
Old 07-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #10
Deviousin

I rode the bike twice after it got laid down, so my intuition says something went wrong while I was working on it.

No power commander or anything like that on it.

I'm not sure what you mean by out of spec, but I'll also check that out when I get home.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I really appreciate it
Old 07-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #11
Deviousin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
How are you burning your finger checking the oil? WTf are you doing?
The right engine cover thing was hot, I think, either way I was too chicken to check lol

Sorry for the dbl post, it's hard posting from my phone
Old 07-09-2013, 10:49 AM   #12
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Is there not a sight inspection window to see oil level? Sounds like you need to take it to a shop and maybe attend Motorcycles Unlimited's basic maintenance class next time they host one
Old 07-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #13
Deviousin

AFAIK, my my r6 doesn't have one of those holes. I use the dip stick. Somebody please point it out to me because that would be pretty cool

I could take it to a shop but I enjoy working on it myself, just makes me feel better. I think the only time I'll take it to a shop is if I don't have the tools
Old 07-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #14
ELSpurgeO
Jeremy

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
06 R6
04 R6
02 R6
06 ZX10 *SOLD* 05 ZX636 *SOLD*
04 CBR1000RR *SOLD* 99 ZX9 *RIP*

R6s are strange. They actually do have dipsticks and no sight glass.
ELSpurgeO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #15
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Ok. Mental note taken on dip stick. Are you checking the level while the bike is vertical or on the side stand?
Old 07-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #16
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

OP- Any unusual clunking, ticking, or jerking at that RPM, or is like the bike has a governor and won't let you go past one point?

How to Check TPS
Quote:
To check the TPS values, you have to press and hold SELECT + RESET, then turn the key and keep them pressed for 8 more seconds.

It'll appear dIAg on the display, you can release them now. Afterwards use select until you see a d01 (Diagnostic Mode for the TPS)

Then it should read between 15 and 17 if the throttle is closed,
With the throttle fully open, it should read between 97 and 100.

If the values are over or below those I mentioned, the TPS should be replaced.

To leave the dIAG mode, simply turn the key counter clockwise.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #17
Blanco
BORC O.G.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 ZX10R & 09 ZX-14
'09 R1 (homeboy shopping network donation)
'07 ZX14 (sold)
'01 FZ1 (sold)
ZRX1100 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviousin View Post
AFAIK, my my r6 doesn't have one of those holes. I use the dip stick. Somebody please point it out to me because that would be pretty cool

I could take it to a shop but I enjoy working on it myself, just makes me feel better. I think the only time I'll take it to a shop is if I don't have the tools
I have news for you.....reading through this thread...tools aint your problem. Take it to the shop!

The good news is that both Bluewave and Senator have given you sound advice but you do not have the mechanical skill to follow their directions. Do you have a friend who can help you with their suggestions?
Old 07-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #18
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco View Post
I have news for you.....reading through this thread...tools aint your problem. Take it to the shop!

The good news is that both Bluewave and Senator have given you sound advice but you do not have the mechanical skill to follow their directions. Do you have a friend who can help you with their suggestions?
He is missing one main tool
Old 07-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #19
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I still say there is a good chance its way over filled and/or there is oil in the air box. I also agree, its not a tool issue.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #20
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Capacity for an '06 R6 is 2.4L-2.6L...depending on whether or not you changed the filter. OP DID change the filter so "over 3 quarts" is overfull, but not so much that the big wouldn't rev past 4k.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement