MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
Scorch
Born to Run

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki V-Strom 650
1990 Suzuki DR250S
1986 Suzuki GV1200 Madura
1975 Suzuki GT380

Motorcycles have a much higher fatality rate than cars

Motorcycles have a much higher fatality rate than cars, namely 38.8 fatalities per 100M miles,
over 25 times higher than the average.
stats

Accidents with cars play a significant role in this, but in my opinion, these stats are inflated due to reckless
motorcycle riders who ride too fast, who think they are on a track, who approach defensive driving too casually,
and who do not wear a helmet and proper protective gear.

Imagine how air travel stats would look if every Tom, , and Harry could get a license as easily as one can get
a MC license. Most pilots are serious and mature. If most motorcycles riders would approach riding as seriously,
these stats would go way down.

Ride smart, ride safe, and wear your gear.
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lojack Sale!! Motorcycles & Cars!! Patrick Motorcycles Unlimited 6 07-08-2010 06:26 PM
Why don't cars/motorcycles come with top speed limiters from factory? BaylorNinja500 General Discussion (Moto Related) 90 06-29-2010 02:42 PM
Are motorcycles more sensitive than cars to bad gas? bioGuru General Discussion (Moto Related) 33 01-14-2009 11:39 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
Frankesc

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
kawasaki zx10r monster energy 08
Honda CBR 929

Sad, but be safe out there.
Frankesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
2l84luv
Banned

User is banned

2l84luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

...and how does that mean the #'s are 'inflated'? A 35-45 mph impact (or any) is
Inherently safer in a automobile vs motorcycle.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
Scorch
Born to Run

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki V-Strom 650
1990 Suzuki DR250S
1986 Suzuki GV1200 Madura
1975 Suzuki GT380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
...and how does that mean the #'s are 'inflated'? A 35-45 mph impact (or any) is
Inherently safer in a automobile vs motorcycle.
Yes, agreed, but I am not talking about the level of safety between a car and a motorcycle, I am suggesting many motorcycle accidents can be very easily avoided by riding sensibly.
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
x-ray
CMRA #228

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Super Adventure
2007 SV650S (My track toy)
07 CRF230F
2006 VFR800a (sold - covered a lot of miles)
04 Honda 599 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Yes, agreed, but I am not talking about the level of safety between a car and a motorcycle, I am suggesting many motorcycle accidents can be very easily avoided by riding sensibly.
I think we could say the same thing if people didn't drink and drive. Anybody know what percentage of automobile wrecks are alcohol related?
07 Suzuki SV650s - CMRA #228
x-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
Trish

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2008 CBR600rr
2006 DRZ400SM

Did you know the sky looks blue and fire burns?
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
However the same applies to automobiles... thus it's not that one side is 'inflated'. Simply put a motorcycle is, inherently more dangerous.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
kenup283

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

Yesterday I saw a guy on i45 south doing 90plus weaving traffic, no shirt on, and in a section near Clearlake where traffic can back up at any moment... I told my wife you see motorcycles are safer than you think, just look, this guy is still alive.

As for the stats by miles driven, if your looking at them quantitatively, they are bs. Of course the consequences are higher but really, who's keeping up you with the miles you ride?

When people ask i say, there's no such thing as a fender bender on a bike... And every crash is a fall. Even a crash at normal speeds is like jumping off a 5 story building if you hit something solid.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #10
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenup283 View Post
Yesterday I saw a guy on i45 south doing 90plus weaving traffic, no shirt on, and in a section near Clearlake where traffic can back up at any moment... I told my wife you see motorcycles are safer than you think, just look, this guy is still alive.

As for the stats by miles driven, if your looking at them quantitatively, they are bs. Of course the consequences are higher but really, who's keeping up you with the miles you ride?

When people ask i say, there's no such thing as a fender bender on a bike... And every crash is a fall. Even a crash at normal speeds is like jumping off a 5 story building if you hit something solid.
that was me...i had to take a dump
Old 07-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
Nastynesto85
Richard Serdown

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Dual sport 14 ninja zx6r
06 cbr 600rr (sold)
05 cbr 600rr (sold)
04 Ducati ss800 (sold)
02 gsxr 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Samurai View Post
that was me...i had to take a dump
Lmao !!

If it's got or tires , it's going to cost you
Nastynesto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #12
joeburt1
JoeJoe the dancing monkey

Feedback Rating: (3)

1976 Yamaha chappy
TL 1000S

Quote:
Motorcycles have a much higher fatality rate than cars, namely 38.8 fatalities per 100M miles,
over 25 times higher than the average.
stats

Accidents with cars play a significant role in this, but in my opinion, these stats are inflated due to reckless
motorcycle riders who ride too fast, who think they are on a track, who approach defensive driving too casually,
and who do not wear a helmet and proper protective gear.

Imagine how air travel stats would look if every Tom, , and Harry could get a license as easily as one can get
a MC license. Most pilots are serious and mature. If most motorcycles riders would approach riding as seriously,
these stats would go way down.

Ride smart, ride safe, and wear your gear.
I get what u are saying...you can buy a bike without a license, and get insurance (most of the time it is only liability so you can afford the newest 1k liter bike to look cool) and have no clue how to handle such a bike. Then you get on here see people post about leading a "fast pased ride"...while SOME members may know how to handle a bike and what their limits are, others do not and end up on RIP threads...I always see where these groups post gear needed but never a licens...Im guilty of riding like a dousche before but now reserve that for the track...I applaude Ivan and others who go out of their way to put meets together for people interested in track riding and Ride Smart for half off deals for newbies (among others)...Who gives a how many times 3090 gets re paved.....go to a track and learn...I have read more post for group rides when someone goes down compared to accidents at a track....
joeburt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #13
2l84luv
Banned

User is banned

Old 07-07-2013, 11:00 PM   #14
ArmyApe
In reality, Goliath wins

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX10R
2011 Kawasaki ZX6R (sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyApe
I've wreck on the street and I've wrecked on the track. My street wreck resulted in bruises. My track wreck resulted in a broken arm and fractured ribs. The "track is safer" mentality is just a myth. Motorcycles are inherently more risky than cars and provided you acknowledge that risk every time you swing a leg over the saddle, you should have fewer issues.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:32 PM   #15
2l84luv
Banned

User is banned

Old 07-08-2013, 06:54 AM   #16
joeburt1

1976 Yamaha chappy
TL 1000S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyApe View Post
I've wreck on the street and I've wrecked on the track. My street wreck resulted in bruises. My track wreck resulted in a broken arm and fractured ribs. The "track is safer" mentality is just a myth. Motorcycles are inherently more risky than cars and provided you acknowledge that risk every time you swing a leg over the saddle, you should have fewer issues.
I will agree to a point...I think that the track is safer because you don't have to worry about on coming traffic, people crossing the road, blind curves that may or may not have trash in them (IE racers road) and you don't have to be so concerned about brake fluid in the middle of the road. Everyone is moving in the same direction and there are marshals to flag unsafe behavior..I don't think it's myth that the track is safer...but, it's only my opinion...
Old 07-08-2013, 06:58 AM   #17
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
A lot of knuckleheads don't wear helmets. Not surprised by motorcycle deaths
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:01 AM   #18
joeburt1

1976 Yamaha chappy
TL 1000S

getting back on the OP topic...I do think that actually having to HAVE a MC endorsement on your license should be mandatory, I do think that you should start on a small cc bike to learn skills...Europe has a better record with bikes because they......LEARN SKILLS....It makes them all around better riders...How many Americans that race GP usually finish in the top 10.....Yes, bikes aren't the safest things on the road, but with gear, training, and pulling your head out of your a##, you will be more capable of getting out of a bad situation...

Last edited by joeburt1; 07-08-2013 at 07:01 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #19
DeadMonkey

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
2004 SV650S

I think the point that the OP is getting at, or at least the point that I'm taking away from it, is that there are knuckleheads that don't think about consequences, those riders are more likely to die. So though it's impossible to split it this way, it would be interesting to see those number if you could take out all the reckless drivers and riders.
DeadMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #20
Bigshankhank

Bike(s):
1972 Aermacchi Sprint SX350
1972 Honda CL175 K5
1978 Kawasaki KE100
1978 Kawasaki KE250
1970 Suzuki TC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMonkey View Post
I think the point that the OP is getting at, or at least the point that I'm taking away from it, is that there are knuckleheads that don't think about consequences, those riders are more likely to die. So though it's impossible to split it this way, it would be interesting to see those number if you could take out all the reckless drivers and riders.
Yes, but it is a false conclusion. Yes, motorcycles have a higher fatality rate than automobiles, but that is not simply because there is a higher percentage of douchebags on motorcycles. I and I am sure most everyone here has seen more than his fair share of behind the wheel of a car or truck. The difference is that the motorcycle is inherently less forgiving in a crash, plain and simple. But, well duh, no .
That being said, I strongly support a tremendous increase in the amount of driver and rider education. Very thorough, very expensive, and required every five or so years. If people have to sacrifice to earn their driving PRIVILEGES, they will be less likely to risk them by driving like a .
Bigshankhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement