MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
Rael
Communist Plant

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

Griso Mods for the track

So I've done a few trackdays and I'm hooked! A track bike seemed like the next logical step, but after seeing this video I've begun toying with the idea of making my Griso more track-worthy.

After watching that I figured if I was going to spend money on a track toy I might as well spend it in a way that improves my awesome street bike. Regardless of my bike I'm not going to set the track on fire, and if I'm going to be getting passed I'd rather get passed while on a Guzzi! At least then I'll look good while its happening!

A new, ride height adjustable, shock seems like the first mod I should make. The biggest issue on the Griso is left-side ground clearance (obviously the biggest issue at a track day is my riding skill, but we're talking mods here). The side stand drags and impedes lean. The stock shock's abilities in general are not too hot either, it doesn't seem to be using all its advertised height and can bottom over bumps. I weigh 155 lbs so it isn't me.

Any suggestions on how to get a semi-touring bike more track-capable that don't involve a track bike?
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rockers Vs Mods, nope, it's bicyclists vs Mods grsa Off Topic 1 05-11-2014 06:05 PM
SV650 Track Mods? Conrad General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 02-19-2011 09:20 PM
Help me prioritize mods for track/street bike TxBeagle Taking it to the Track 5 10-23-2010 05:10 PM
Moto Guzzi V7 Cafe Classic and Griso SE Grinchy General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 03-24-2009 01:47 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
grsa

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

No advice here but that would be nice to see. I know that Goozie has tracked his bike (centauro i believe) PM him and he may have some words of wisdom. i miss the v7.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #3
zpooch

Bike(s):
2000 XR650R
2002 Suzuki DRZ 400e
2001 Kawi ZRX1200R
2005 Speed Triple (Traded) 2009 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V (sold)
2000 Monster 900Sie (sold) 2002 RC51 (sold)

I would also factor in the cost of laying dOwn that griso vs the cost of a dedicated track bike.
zpooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Was like that with my Zx14 when I first started track riding...but then came to the realization that it wasnt the right tool for the job. I didnt want to destroy my street bike....so I ended up buying a zx6r....

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Honestly, any suspension adjustment that's going to make it a better track bike is going to make it a kidney-bruiser on the street. I'd get a dedicated track .
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
Rael
Communist Plant

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

The suspension is my biggest concern. I'm hoping that a decent shock will allow for a compromise between street and track. Again, I'm not looking to set lap records, just make the bike a bit more competent on the track. Is such a shock a pipe dream?

Those big jugs would be the first thing to touch down in a crash and the head cover is pretty cheap, less than $300 OEM (knock on wood). Built in crash guards!
Old 07-06-2013, 11:51 PM   #7
grsa

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

I have seen MV's, Ducatis, Aprilia's you name it at the track. True one of those bikes goes down it is not cheap. Check your insurance for coverage.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:39 AM   #8
Slovy
BRAWP Racing

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2003 Honda CBR 600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post
Was like that with my Zx14 when I first started track riding...but then came to the realization that it wasnt the right tool for the job. I didnt want to destroy my street bike....so I ended up buying a zx6r....
did you blow it up?
Old 07-07-2013, 06:42 AM   #9
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rael View Post
The suspension is my biggest concern. I'm hoping that a decent shock will allow for a compromise between street and track. Again, I'm not looking to set lap records, just make the bike a bit more competent on the track. Is such a shock a pipe dream?

Those big jugs would be the first thing to touch down in a crash and the head cover is pretty cheap, less than $300 OEM (knock on wood). Built in crash guards!

A better shock will help control the tear tire better, BUT the settings necessary to control a tire at trackday speeds make riding it on the street like riding a hardtail. Some people will tell you they "don't notice it." Those same people will probably tell you their supersport is comfortable.

Now you could readjust the shock every time you go track and back, but at what point does it just become too much hassle? You're going to spend $1000-$1500 on a good shock, have to fiddle with it twice every time you go to the track, and for $1000 more, you could just have an SV650.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #10
Rael
Communist Plant

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

Thanks! At least now I'll be informed and making a poor decision if I decide to stick with the Griso.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #11
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

What he said is not entirely true.
Just because you have your suspension set up for the track doesn't mean thatyour bike will feel like a hard tail. That's a little exaggerated.
The stiffness of the suspension might be more noticeable on a supersport bike but even then it's not as bad as all that.
Starting off with a bike like an MG it won't even be close to that bad. You will probably wind up with a bike that has taut but compliant suspension that will make your bike more competent on the street and still feel great.

IMHO, suspension is the first place to start. Most bikes will benefit from suspension upgrades even if they were only used on the street. Once you throw track riding into the mix, it makes sense that suspension will be a big improvement.

Talk to Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited. He will steer you in the right direction.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #12
ZX-Dominance

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1 (wifey)
2007 ZX-6R (track)
2008 Speed Triple White Knight (sold)
2008 CBR1000RR "Red Rocket"
2005 SV1000S (sold)

If you think you're hooked now, wait a few more trackdays. Your skill/desire for speed and fun will likely outpace your griso's limits. But this is America! So do what your heart tells you, after consulting your brain.
ZX-Dominance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #13
Rael
Communist Plant

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

I still haven't made any upgrades but I'm thinking suspension upgrades are in the cards regardless of whether I go with a track-bike later. Here are some videos of a tractor on the track.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #14
x-ray
CMRA #228

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Super Adventure
2007 SV650S (My track toy)
07 CRF230F
2006 VFR800a (sold - covered a lot of miles)
04 Honda 599 (sold)

Just be prepared to see your street bike destroyed. Not saying it will happen, but it doesn't take a high speed crash to bend forks, subframe, instrument cluster, etc (talking from experience here). Just the right bounce leaving the pavement over a curbing at 40 mph can send it flipping over. If you do have insurance that will cover track riding, it doesn't take a whole lot to total a motorcycle so you could end up paying to fix it anyway.

So in summary, I'm not saying "don't do it", but basically after you've done a couple of track days, don't ride anything on the track that you don't want to lose. Because everybody says they'll take it easy at first, even those with race numbers on their motorcycles now.
07 Suzuki SV650s - CMRA #228
x-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #15
Mace
Wisdom

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Honda ST1300 Iron # 44260
honda silverwing. drag scooter
Honda DNO1 700, wife's bike
07 SV650 Track
12 R6 (Son's track bike

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/mo...ery-53066.html
Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #16
zpooch

Bike(s):
2000 XR650R
2002 Suzuki DRZ 400e
2001 Kawi ZRX1200R
2005 Speed Triple (Traded) 2009 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V (sold)
2000 Monster 900Sie (sold) 2002 RC51 (sold)

Videos make me miss my griso a little. Fun bike I never tracked mine tho
zpooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #17
Rael
Communist Plant

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

The tech and mods on that guzzi are awesome. The styling, not so much.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #18
Rael
Communist Plant

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

I dropped the bike off for new fork internals and a new shock today. The next week and a half cannot pass fast enough!
Old 08-18-2013, 08:51 PM   #19
Rael
Communist Plant

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

The fork and shock work was money well spent!

The shock changed the geometry a smidge, adding height to the rear. This not only aided turn in slightly, but it also gave me a bit more lean (particularly on the left side, where my kickstand was dragging). The sliver of chicken strips on my front tire are now history.

Even though the shock is firm, it actually handles bumps better than stock. I'm not sure if this is due to better damping, but it is a huge improvement.

The forks needed a revalve only, the stock springs were apparently right for me already. Control under braking is much improved, and I'm no longer getting any head-shake (pretty surprising to begin with on such a long, raked-out bike).

At the track the result was more confidence.

On the street the result was an improvement as well. The new suspension was tested over the worst bumps San Antonio has to offer, and it is far from unbearable.

All in all a worthy upgrade.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #20
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage