MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2013, 01:51 AM   #1
wolverine1

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2012 Ninja ZX6R
2005 Ninja ZX10R
2008 Ninja ZX6R

Moto valuation. .?

How do you guys put a value on your bike if wanna sell it. I might be selling my 1k but not sure what to ask for. I dont wanna be one of the d-bags that puts 10k for a Frankenstein kawasaki gixxer 600...and wanna know if putting more money into it will be beneficial when it comes time to part with it..
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moto X proasian3 Off Topic 12 09-05-2013 01:00 PM
★Moto Insurance, Moto-Houston.com t-shirts are in.. TnTEntR1 Moto Insurance 2 05-22-2011 01:11 AM
Hello moto MudBug Off Topic 40 09-03-2009 07:33 AM
Who here has a Moto Q? Patrick Off Topic 19 03-09-2008 10:53 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2013, 05:08 AM   #2
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Here's a good starting point

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/

http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/Motorcycles
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:19 AM   #3
wolverine1

Bike(s):
2012 Ninja ZX6R
2005 Ninja ZX10R
2008 Ninja ZX6R

Yeah I checked those but its just a round about price. I see newer bikes go for the price (if not less) than what they suggest I should get. I just wanna be competitive with my price is all.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:25 AM   #4
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine1 View Post
Yeah I checked those but its just a round about price. I see newer bikes go for the price (if not less) than what they suggest I should get. I just wanna be competitive with my price is all.
IMO Kbb and nada are waaaaaayy over priced. If someone is quoting those prices on a bike then I usually wont even bother trying to buy it. Just search craigslist and get a feel for market value or they have actually been selling for....

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:25 AM   #5
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
When the market place decides, there's not one price. Just do a search for bikes comparable to yours. It's all just an educated guess
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:32 AM   #6
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

I search Craigslist and eBay, watch eBay ads and see what they're selling for vs asking for. Them I make it reasonable, sold my busa in 1 day.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:48 AM   #7
wolverine1

Bike(s):
2012 Ninja ZX6R
2005 Ninja ZX10R
2008 Ninja ZX6R

Thanks for the ideas....I hate having this little thing called a conscience....if I feel like ive takin advantage of someone or over charged it eats at me. Some people just say it was their fault for not researching what they should oay but ehh maybe itll come back ten fold if im honest...
Old 07-03-2013, 07:36 AM   #8
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Quote:
Thanks for the ideas....I hate having this little thing called a conscience....if I feel like ive takin advantage of someone or over charged it eats at me. Some people just say it was their fault for not researching what they should oay but ehh maybe itll come back ten fold if im honest...
Good guy. But good guys get screwed too. Like Byrdman said, check CL for going prices. Always always always price a bit on the higher end, especially if your bike is in better shape than a comparable year/model. CL is the WORLD'S WORST IN LOWBALLING.

Set a starting price on CL AND an honest price in your head and shoot for a nice place inbetween.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #9
wolverine1

Bike(s):
2012 Ninja ZX6R
2005 Ninja ZX10R
2008 Ninja ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
Good guy. But good guys get screwed too. Like Byrdman said, check CL for going prices. Always always always price a bit on the higher end, especially if your bike is in better shape than a comparable year/model. CL is the WORLD'S WORST IN LOWBALLING.

Set a starting price on CL AND an honest price in your head and shoot for a nice place inbetween.
I appreciate it..when I get around to selling it ill probably post it up here before anything and maybe I can give a good deal to a MH member..
Old 07-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
I've sold 4-6 vehicles/motorcycles, 1 tractor, kitchen appliances and a handful of other things on CL in the past 3 yrs....the easiest way to weed out the BS is don't respond to one liners where people ask about the item and it's already in the description (you already know they are a dumbass if their reading comprehension sucks that bad, why would you even want to deal with them face to face?). Ignore the "what's your lowest price" emails....don't post your phone # in the ad, send the contact info to the "legit emails".

AND here is the #1 tip from my book....have a friend call during a "showcase" and carry on a conversation that goes something like this, "I'd love to show it to you, but I actually have someone here right now looking at the item. Can I call you back in a bit if the sale falls through?" 3 for 3 on that one....but seriously, all 3 calls were other interested parties.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #11
wolverine1

Bike(s):
2012 Ninja ZX6R
2005 Ninja ZX10R
2008 Ninja ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
I've sold 4-6 vehicles/motorcycles, 1 tractor, kitchen appliances and a handful of other things on CL in the past 3 yrs....the easiest way to weed out the BS is don't respond to one liners where people ask about the item and it's already in the description (you already know they are a dumbass if their reading comprehension sucks that bad, why would you even want to deal with them face to face?). Ignore the "what's your lowest price" emails....don't post your phone # in the ad, send the contact info to the "legit emails".

AND here is the #1 tip from my book....have a friend call during a "showcase" and carry on a conversation that goes something like this, "I'd love to show it to you, but I actually have someone here right now looking at the item. Can I call you back in a bit if the sale falls through?" 3 for 3 on that one....but seriously, all 3 calls were other interested parties.

My boy.....good advice. I appreciate it.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #12
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post
IMO Kbb and nada are waaaaaayy over priced. If someone is quoting those prices on a bike then I usually wont even bother trying to buy it. Just search craigslist and get a feel for market value or they have actually been selling for....
funny you mention this...I always get griped at by MODS for linking KBB value of bikes for sale on MH that are asking MORE than KBB value...

maybe they kick a commision?

Last edited by BRYAN; 07-03-2013 at 06:38 PM. Reason: words
BRYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #13
wolverine1

Bike(s):
2012 Ninja ZX6R
2005 Ninja ZX10R
2008 Ninja ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRYAN View Post
funny you mention this...I always get griped at by MODS for linking KBB value of bikes for sale on MH that are asking MORE than KBB value...

maybe they kick a commision?
I dont know how you can price a bike for sale over the recommended kbb price. Their price should be sufficient enough to cover most any mods so I dont see a reason to go over their price, and in most cases the bikes are worth way less. I have an 05 zx10 with 37k miles and it told me its worth 6k. Ill be lucky to get 3k for it....hopefully

Advertisement