MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's.....
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

View Poll Results: What should I do with the KFX 700
Finish the turbo 9 75.00%
Remove the turbo and put it back to stock 2 16.67%
Sell it as is 1 8.33%
Just scrap it and part it out 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
signpimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2002 klx110

Send a message via MSN to signpimp
Question Turbo Kawasaki KFX 700 - What to do

I just acquired a Kawasaki KFX 700 (I think a 2004, but I'll check that later) that has been fitted with a turbo. One problem: it is not running. This was a project a friend of mine started 2 weeks after he bought the quad brand new, and never finished. The complete system was installed, but the plenum was not ideal (didn't run as good as it should) so they scrapped it and started over. The new plenum was built, but the they did not finish the plumbing completely (does not mate back up to old plenum plumbing, too short). Right now, it seems to only be missing the manifold boots from plenum to carbs, the connection from old plumbing to plenum, a new battery, an ignition (he lost the key over the last 9 years), an exhaust dump (he lost the manifold/shorty pipe), and probably some other small things. The intercooler looks good, the blow off valve is good, the turbo looks good, and the quad itself looks good (doesn't look over 6 months old).

Anyways, the quad has Ohlins suspension all the way around and bead locker rims of some sort. The front end has some custom adjustable brackets installed/welded for lowering and raising the front.

I don't know a lot about turbos, so I'm wondering if this is going to be a project from . What would you do? Sell it as is, finish the turbo, scrap the turbo and put it back stock?

What do think it is worth as is. I traded the guy out for a bunch of work he needs done. I didn't really want it, but this is the only way he could pay me. It's about $3k worth of work basically. I'll post pictures later today.
signpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scorpion EXO-700 cbrmonkey General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 03-19-2012 10:31 PM
Problem: Bike makes turbo spool sound.. but i have no turbo! JusAnotherTran How To's and Q & A's 30 10-08-2009 01:11 AM
EXO-700 Preadator RojerLockless Gear Talk 9 08-14-2009 12:32 PM
Scopion EXO 700 Solracer Gear Talk 23 04-21-2007 08:24 PM
Scorpion EXO-700 PB125 General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 08-30-2006 08:22 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
skelator
Just US Racing

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
GT Performer

T hats a blow thru set up, it should not be bad. You can do it.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
bluewave18
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Hard to say without knowing what the stock engine can handle and what the kit can produce hp wise.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
SideVinder650

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen

might consider drafting up whatever parts you need in Google Sketchup or some other CAD type program if the part is easy enough, then going to a fabricator to make the part and fix the quad so it will start running again.

As much as it sounds really cool, at the moment its a non-running vehicle = $500 (to me) so yeah, getting it running is the first thing you need to do regadless of whether you keep/sell it. plus as stated above, N/A Engines never get the boost that OEM Turbo's do. Not that it isnt a cool idea, just naturally aspirated engines have pistons/rings/gaskets/clearances/compression ratios setup for Non-turbo application, you'll never get the boost you "want" out of it. without some very expensive work.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
signpimp

Bike(s):
2002 klx110

I'm hoping to get more insight this week on the build. The person who actually came up with the plans/components used to build turbo bikes with Mr. Turbo (Terry Kizer). My friend built two turbo Honda four wheelers that came out really nice and this was their third adventure. Just didn't get completed (ran out of money) and put it in storage. Once I talk to the builder, I'll have more information.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90degree View Post
might consider drafting up whatever parts you need in Google Sketchup or some other CAD type program if the part is easy enough, then going to a fabricator to make the part and fix the quad so it will start running again.

As much as it sounds really cool, at the moment its a non-running vehicle = $500 (to me) so yeah, getting it running is the first thing you need to do regadless of whether you keep/sell it. plus as stated above, N/A Engines never get the boost that OEM Turbo's do. Not that it isnt a cool idea, just naturally aspirated engines have pistons/rings/gaskets/clearances/compression ratios setup for Non-turbo application, you'll never get the boost you "want" out of it. without some very expensive work.
Never get the boost you want? Can't say what it can take. I bet it takes more than you really want. A few lbs of boots would do wonders. Really depends on what he plans to do with it
Old 07-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
skelator
Just US Racing

Bike(s):
GT Performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
Never get the boost you want? Can't say what it can take. I bet it takes more than you really want. A few lbs of boots would do wonders. Really depends on what he plans to do with it
He should get it running and SELL it ! Unless he's ready to spend alot of time n money on it to kkep it going. It's always something to fix or make with custom stuff like that. Also way to easy to add power, just turn one bolt in the wastgate and Bam it was 3,800 bucks when I did LOL
Old 07-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #8
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

If that is the plan he needs to sell the kit separately. No point in doing the work and getting the tune right. He will not make money worth the effort. People will be scared to buy it also when he talks to them.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
signpimp

Bike(s):
2002 klx110

Finally Pics Up

Old 07-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #10
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

It's a KFX700...part it out and get your money out of it.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
skelator
Just US Racing

Bike(s):
GT Performer

woo wee, it's needs to be longer and wider with turbo power, sketchy fun
Old 07-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #12
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

if hes built turbo kits before, ask him why did he use a turbo with an integrated wastegate and then install a BOV also?

obviously a blow through system, is it fuel injected?

real world answer is that you will enjoy the quad more without the hassles and expense of the turbo kit.
I would remove it if it was mine and install on something else :-) and ride that 4 wheeler like I stole it.
and if you decide to sell the kit, remove and itemize to see what ya have and then holler and I may be a buyer.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by ScooterTrash; 07-02-2013 at 03:35 PM.
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #13
signpimp

Bike(s):
2002 klx110

The quad has carbs. Not sure what I want to do with it, that's why I put up the poll. I already have a nice Yamaha Banshee that I hardly every ride. For now, I'm going to see if I can source the parts and get it running. I have no clue as to where I'll take it for a proper tune. Any recommendations?
Old 07-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #14
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

it's a mediocre quad in stock form, part it and get your money out of it before you waste too much time or money on it.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:09 AM   #15
longboarder65

Husaberg TE 300-plated
KTM 690R
KTM 250SX

I have one and I like it. It will be much easier to sell in stock form. I wouldn't buy anything that has been altered in such a way as I would assume it has been abused in the worst possible way. They are already a sketchy ride at higher speeds, the turbo won't help things. Sell the turbo and Ohlins stuff and go back to stock and then sell it. You should get what you want out of it.
longboarder65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement