MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #21
DanteLee
Sexy Dynamite

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
suzuki katana 96(sold)
honda cbr f4i 06 (sold)
ride my neighbors harley cuz he doesnt ride it

Quote:
Originally Posted by myla296 View Post
There are a lot of keyboard jockeys on here, I fall into too sometimes. But for real, best and safest is a storage unit, which there probably is one near you since you live in an apartment complex. Rod used to do that before I met him, it sucked because you do need to be aware of their hours of operation (his would close at 10pm). Check it out at least.
This^^^^^^
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Parking outside in an apartment complex? Scorch Stolen Bike Reports 29 02-08-2013 10:43 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #22
DeadMonkey

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
2004 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
"I don't like the truth so I'm going to pretend I didn't hear it."
Hey man, I hear the truth, but I already own the bike, and the mistake. I'm not crying that life ain't fair, I'm trying to do what I can to keep it from happening again. I'm just asking about a good lock to make the best of a less than ideal situation. Thanks to the one person that actually suggested a lock. So yeah I'm about people jumping in and talking about I already know, and especially you Popo, you seemed like good enough people when I met you at Miranda's, guess that's 2 errors in judgement to come out of this event.
DeadMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #23
Ashdog

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
15 KTM RC390
07 DRZ400SM
05 Crf115

Check out the latest issue of SuperStreetbike, there's 2-3 pg write up about securing your bike..
Ashdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #24
skelator
Just US Racing

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
GT Performer

If you have a woman screaming on it, make her scream 'Fire' better results than anything else ! Don't use help
Old 07-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #25
Lucar

Experience: 10+ years

Member Garage

Christina who?
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #26
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

theft coverage and prayers lol
Im a locksmith so i know a little about this. Chains will make them work longer, but with the pussified public, even if someone saw something they would either walk away or get fooled by the " I lost my key" line. Im happy to get you some serious ABUS chain and a good lock if you a want it, but be warned, parking in an apt complex is a recipe for disaster.

Last edited by Japawhat02; 07-01-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Japawhat02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #27
darranwil
Rev_Psilocybe

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2004 Buell Xb12s
2002 Buell Blast-(sold)
87 Honda Rebel 450 (sold)

Member Garage

Now that I come back inside from baking stripping a motor casing... Storage Unit can be bad as well. Just couple weeks ago some perps jumped the fence at psycho petes and broke into 7 units, while we were on the other side of the building working on bikes. We never heard a thing and all management knows is they came over the fence from the apartment complex. Probably same dicks who stole Pete's helmet right outside the door.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #28
cbrmonkey
aka Joe

Bike(s):
07' CBR600RR

Member Garage

I would agree theft coverage is the best option. Anytime you mention on motohouston about having a motorcycle in an apt complex you will get the same response every time. I have my bike in an apt complex and know any day I walk out it could be gone so I lock and cover it up everyday. If it's gone that's why I pay insurance. In the end if they want it they will take it whether in a parking lot or garage.
cbrmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #29
tustah

Bike(s):
2008 GSX-R750

Good luck with keeping it at the apartment. I had a similar situation to you long ago when I was in my younger 20s, which is the reason why I never purchased a motorcycle.

Regardless, everyone should have comprehensive coverage if you live in Houston. You can do whatever you want to secure your bike, but if it's at an apartment, they'll find a way to get it if they really want.

I think storage is your best option; either that or leave it at someone's place nearby if they're willing.
tustah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #30
chevy42083

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
If you live in an apartment and parking it there is the ONLY option...

Then you need to wait on bike ownership. I had one locked up in sight of the pool and office.
You could see where they drug it through a breezeway and probably threw it in the back of a truck.

If they want it, they will have it. You can't stop them.

Take up RC car racing or competitive cup stacking. You don't want to have anything valuable while you live in apartments. I got broken into also :(

Insurance is the best you can hope for, but remember they are only gonna give you blue book, all of what you paid, all the interest, any accessories are lost.
Not an option... I love riding too much, and it saves me $200 a month in gas money. It keeps me sane.

Progressive gives NADA.... which for a 650r or SV650, is higher than what they are going for on the used market. Apparently, NADA is really high for 650r, just slightly high for sv650. Plus, they cover up to $3k in accessories... or say they do. I'll know within a month. You can get more accessory coverage, but it costs more.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #31
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMonkey View Post
and especially you Popo, you seemed like good enough people when I met you at Miranda's, guess that's 2 errors in judgement to come out of this event.
I am good people: I'm not telling you what you want to hear, and lying to you in the process.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #32
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
I am good people: I'm not telling you what you want to hear, and lying to you in the process.
Thats why popo is good peeps

Old 07-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #33
Yillbs

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2007 Ninja 650R ( SOLD )
2012 FZ6R
2016 R6

Member Garage

Part off into the distance, and chain your dog to it!! http://www.bikebandit.com/onguard-be...n-with-x4-lock
Old 07-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #34
green600
HG Chairperson

Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMonkey View Post
and especially you Popo, you seemed like good enough people when I met you at Miranda's, guess that's 2 errors in judgement to come out of this event.
agreed

you popo

yeah. I thought it'd be like riding with a condescending rossi.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #35
ArmyApe
In reality, Goliath wins

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX10R
2011 Kawasaki ZX6R (sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyApe
It's tough when a lot of people have had bikes stolen at apartment complexes, but owning a bike and living in an apartment isn't a guarantee that it'll get stolen. I've known guys who have never owned a house, always rented apartments and ridden for many years without ever having had a bike stolen. The chances go up because the bike is easier to access, but as everyone keeps mentioning, if they want the bike, they'll get it. If Jim Pruett's gun store can get robbed by people climbing in through the roof, I'm pretty sure that a determined enough thief isn't going to be bothered by a garage door.

Take all the precautions you can, but theft coverage is the only thing that'll get you back on two wheels IF she gets taken. Lo-Jack can be stripped off in a matter of minutes and the $1'000 you would have paid for it would have been a waste. A chain can be cut. Disk locks can be removed. Every preventative measure you take CAN potentially be bypassed, but crime is based on opportunity and the more measures you take, the less of an opportunity they have. At the end of the day, though, even 0.0001% is enough of an opportunity for anyone driven enough.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #36
BoRyder
Its only paper...

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2015 BMW S1000R
2014 MV Agusta F3 800
2012 Aprilia RSV4 Factory Stolen
2007 Ducati 1098S Sold
2012 CBR 1KRR Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyApe View Post
It's tough when a lot of people have had bikes stolen at apartment complexes, but owning a bike and living in an apartment isn't a guarantee that it'll get stolen. I've known guys who have never owned a house, always rented apartments and ridden for many years without ever having had a bike stolen. The chances go up because the bike is easier to access, but as everyone keeps mentioning, if they want the bike, they'll get it. If Jim Pruett's gun store can get robbed by people climbing in through the roof, I'm pretty sure that a determined enough thief isn't going to be bothered by a garage door.

Take all the precautions you can, but theft coverage is the only thing that'll get you back on two wheels IF she gets taken. Lo-Jack can be stripped off in a matter of minutes and the $1'000 you would have paid for it would have been a waste. A chain can be cut. Disk locks can be removed. Every preventative measure you take CAN potentially be bypassed, but crime is based on opportunity and the more measures you take, the less of an opportunity they have. At the end of the day, though, even 0.0001% is enough of an opportunity for anyone driven enough.

well said...
Old 07-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #37
rideForrestride

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
'08 ZX10R - The Mistress

When I lived in apt I used a storage unit right down the road with no issue. However, if you don't like that route you can make it as difficult as possible. LoJack, movement sensor alarm with text to ur phone, disc locks front AND rear, biggest and hardest metal chain you can find to lock it to a pole.
rideForrestride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #38
CBRguyIZcool
UkrainianSicilian100%Nerd

Bike(s):
H-D Sportster 48

Send a message via AIM to CBRguyIZcool
i just put stretched out condoms that I spit into to make them look used on the bike. never had a problem
CBRguyIZcool is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement