MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #81
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by exalted512 View Post
I'm assuming so if you are referring to freebies as leather/boot rentals and discounts if you're referring to the 50% off for first timers.

If you are referring to Ride Smart, I'm curious as to why you think they are not good for beginners, what organizations you would recommend, and why you would recommend them.
-Cody
I think it would be beneficial if they do another session for round robin for level 1. Maybe? Yes, , No?
Trackdays here yet?!?! dbuck Taking it to the Track 10 01-21-2009 01:29 PM
??? about trackdays Kingsnake1650 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 11 09-14-2007 05:48 PM
K's Motorsports No Way!! Houston Motorsports Awsome service!! TuningFoR1k General Discussion (Moto Related) 29 08-09-2007 07:39 PM
between trackdays.... houseofpaint Taking it to the Track 24 04-26-2007 11:03 AM
TRACKDAYS ! Lobo General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 01-28-2006 07:45 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #82
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

it works now
Old 06-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #83
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

The ideal situation for a newbie would be a small grid with a personal instructor... that is not going to happen with any track day organization and will not happen in any price range that any of them are offering.... so...
I would recommend any of the organizations that limit their grids so that the instructor is not overwhelmed by the number of students he has to keep track of.
When i was doing level one, I rode with several organizations... the experiences were entirely different...I had groups that had 14 or more students with 1 instructor and a few times with 1 instructor for 3 students... I know where i got the most help from the instructor... I had one day that I had a particularly head up my day and the group put an instructor on me personally...so that group impressed me with their desire to see me advance and ride safely...The one group that had 14 or more per group, i never got the opportunity to even speak to an instructor that day... I was a bit ...If Thomass had not got in the middle of it for me, I would never have rode with them again...Thomass made that group what it was for me...so i will ride where ever Thomass is at...Too bad that some of the best people in business do not get along... sort of the nature of competition I guess.

Ok, Chris, did I show enough restraint, was i polite enough?

Last edited by obed; 06-28-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #84
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
The ideal situation for a newbie would be a small grid with a personal instructor... that is not going to happen with any track day organization and will not happen in any price range that any of them are offering.... so...
I would recommend any of the organizations that limit their grids so that the instructor is not overwhelmed by the number of students he has to keep track of.
When i was doing level one, I rode with several organizations... the experiences were entirely different...I had groups that had 14 or more students with 1 instructor and a few times with 1 instructor for 3 students... I know where i got the most help from the instructor... I had one day that I had a particularly head up my day and the group put an instructor on me personally...so that group impressed me with their desire to see me advance and ride safely...The one group that had 14 or more per group, i never got the opportunity to even speak to an instructor that day... I was a bit ...If Thomass had not got in the middle of it for me, I would never have rode with them again...Thomass made that group what it was for me...so i will ride where ever Thomass is at...Too bad that some of the best people in business do not get along... sort of the nature of competition I guess.

Extreme Motorsports Trackdays???
Old 06-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #85
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

Niggguh this isnt the msf course
Old 06-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #86
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

I don't think Obed's has an S or R key...

HALFFAST GROUP
Old 06-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #87
exalted512
Slow^^^

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to exalted512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umayr View Post
I think it would be beneficial if they do another session for round robin for level 1. Maybe? Yes, , No?
I can tell you right now, there would be way more complaints than happy customers if there were two round robins. I'm an instructor for RideSmart. The reason why we have our customers fill out their classroom forms for level 1 and 2 is exactly for this reason. I take my students that have either A) Never been to the track before or B) Haven't been to THAT track before out on the second session (first session out of round robin). So those particular students DO get a second 'round robin' at a pace that they are comfortable with - which is however fast or slow they want and that I feel they can safely manage.

Just my personal opinion, but I think that's the best way. I spent 7 days in level 1. Since I live in College Station, I actually was L3 at TWS (Texas World Speedway) before I ever went to another track. I don't think I would have liked 2 round robins. But a second 'round robin' when it was just me and an instructor, I was fine with - and that's what happened, so that's what I do with my students.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
When i was doing level one, I rode with several organizations... the experiences were entirely different...I had groups that had 14 or more students with 1 instructor and a few times with 1 instructor for 3 students... I know where i got the most help from the instructor... I had one day that I a particularly head up my day and the group put an instructor on me personally...so that group impressed me with their desire to see me advance and ride safely...The one group that had 14 or more per group, i never got the opportunity to even speak to an instructor that day... I was a bit ...If Thomass had not got in the middle of it for me, I would never have rode with them again...Thomass made that group what it was for me...so i will ride where ever Thomass is at...Too bad that some of the best people in business do not get along... sort of the nature of competition I guess.

I'd be too dude. I'm not here to defend what happened, throw out excuses, etc. As people have mentioned, as an instructor - no matter what organization, I like to see my students progress. I am ALWAYS open to suggestions.

As an instructor for an organization, I like to know what people think, what experiences they had, and how we can improve. I'm about as laid back as can be. I have never been one to log on and play the internet bad , etc. But if we don't know the problems people are having, it's hard to fix.

I will say, since I've been an instructor with RideSmart, we have never had 14 people to an instructor. I've never had more than 8 people. I've never not been able to work with every student BEFORE lunch. So things have changed since you rode - at least to the events I've instructed at.

I can also tell you I had a similar experience with FastLine. We had 3 people in my group, including me. On the second 'round robin' where the instructor follows you, I was taking it easy in the straights and just going hard in the corners. By the time I crossed the finish line at TWS (Texas World Speedway), my instructor and the 2 students behind him were still in the chicane. The students weren't comfortable with the pace I was at, so my instructor stayed with them. I worked with my instructor for 1 session the entire day. I wasn't happy either. I always want instruction.

To this day, I still take the advanced riders course with Ride Smart and Shea's school with LSTD every time I can. Until I'm faster than those guys, there is always something to learn (and then pass down to my students). Anyway, back to the topic - I wasn't happy that even though there were only 3 students with my group, I only got a partial session with my instructor.

I haven't rode with FL since. Somewhat because of that incident, but mostly because they never come to TWS (Texas World Speedway). I actually want to ride with them again. I have a few friends that work for them and I'm really interested in taking Brandon Cleland's class.

I've always have good experiences with LSTD. Unfortunately, our schedules haven't matched up this year though. I took their class with Ronnie as a beginner, took their intermediate course a couple times, and taken Shea's class a couple times. Tom has always been incredibly nice to me. SUPER nice. Their grids are always light...sometimes too light. In fact, if I have any complaints about LSTD, it's that their grids are almost too light. I like being able to dice it up with fellow track riders, sucks when there's no fellow track riders to dice it with...lol. They had to cancel a Sunday in a 2-day event last year at TWS (Texas World Speedway) because they didn't have enough people sign up for the second day. I was pretty bummed, but I certainly don't fault them for it.

Anyway, back to the original question. If you are worried about beginners going to Ride Smart because of a 14:1 student:instructor ratio, that's no longer the case.

I also look forward to riding on the 6th/7th with Extreme.
-Cody
Old 06-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #88
myla296

Cody's a great guy to know in person.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #89
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

I remember I did my first time with a certain organizer earlier this year.. I told them I did level 2 with ridesmart, and they made it seem all their levels were faster or some so i signed up for level 1. Holy mother of round robins, round robin until lunch. Ive never been so off at a td
Old 06-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #90
exalted512
Slow^^^

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by myla296 View Post
Cody's a great guy to know in person.
Thanks

No drama, just WFO!

tws52713

-Cody
Old 06-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #91
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

Yay wheelie hill
Old 06-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #92
exalted512
Slow^^^

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Its the only way I can wheelie :(

and even then, they still suck...haha
Old 06-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #93
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

Quote:

Where are my warmies
Old 06-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #94
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Thanks

No drama, just WFO!

-Cody

*snicker*
Old 07-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #95
SGT USMC 0311

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
"Budweiser" F4 Track
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 1100S
HOODAKA ROAD TOAD (...DEAD JIM)
Kestrel Road
Titus Racer X

Member Garage

Just signed up for Saturday, we will see.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #96
myla296

Just make sure you have a lot of space in front of you, nothing you can do about what happens behind you though. It's a big, fast track...so there is room to avoid, but it's fast so if you don't...well, that's going to suck. I think that the worst transition will be turn 1 since you might have people entering, people trying to out-brake each other, shifting into positions to enter turn 1...ugh.

Anyway, turn 1 is the one I would be most cautious on for this weekend. Fast speed, lots of transitions happening there.

Another one, though not high speed, would be before turn 10, but I think that most people will just run off there and only hurt themselves. I'm pretty sure Extreme is praying that they have mostly experienced people to get through this weekend.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #97
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
I THINK they're probably thankful you're not attending. lol
Old 07-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #98
easyriderZX10R

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2007 ZX10R SE sold
Yamaha Road Star 1700
08 harley ultra classic
02 harley electra glide
Santa Cruz Bullet / Super T pro

Quote:

^^ I resemble that!!
Old 07-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #99
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

Im signed up for the 9th.myla... you don't have to worry about level 2 or level 3 they usually take care of themselves.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #100
SGT USMC 0311

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
"Budweiser" F4 Track
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 1100S
HOODAKA ROAD TOAD (...DEAD JIM)
Kestrel Road
Titus Racer X

Member Garage

I will be level 2 (smooth yet slow predictable lines), I would hope everyone in level 2 knows how to stay on the blend line and enter safely.

I might sit out the first session to see how many idiots if any reveal themselves....a little darwinism at work.

Advertisement