Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #21
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT USMC 0311 View Post
Are the track day organizations having a hard time filling spots?

I am sure I am not alone in saying I want Ride Smart, LSTDs, FL etc etc to succeed, not fail.
Anytime a new org comes around EVERYONE takes a hit.

Just a few years back we had LMS, LSTD and Ride Smart Things were just fine back then(for the most part ). Granted MH and other forums have drawn more people to the track. TTD came along and did so-so for a few years then went bankrupt. While they were doing that they obviously took from Ride Smart/LSTD and LMS.

Currently we have like 7 TD orgs

LSTD
Ride Smart
FL
3T
Whoopies
Elite
and now Xtreme
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trackdays here yet?!?! dbuck Taking it to the Track 10 01-21-2009 01:29 PM
??? about trackdays Kingsnake1650 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 11 09-14-2007 05:48 PM
K's Motorsports No Way!! Houston Motorsports Awsome service!! TuningFoR1k General Discussion (Moto Related) 29 08-09-2007 07:39 PM
between trackdays.... houseofpaint Taking it to the Track 24 04-26-2007 11:03 AM
TRACKDAYS ! Lobo General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 01-28-2006 07:45 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #22
ZX-Dominance

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1 (wifey)
2007 ZX-6R (track)
2008 Speed Triple White Knight (sold)
2008 CBR1000RR "Red Rocket"
2005 SV1000S (sold)

While I understand that there are *currently* only so many trackday riders, I cannot see an instance where competition is genuinely hurting the consumer.

6/22 MSRH was full in 1 & 2 and Limited in 3.

There are thousands upon thousands of riders in TX and the surrounding areas, lets grow the consumer base.

I'm signed up for the 6th... and am f'n stoked about it
Old 06-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #23
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
Kill the market? A new trackday org is going to make people quit riding trackdays? Competition within the market is good for the consumer...
As in price wise, we went from $175 down to $99 for a trackday??

Com'on, that's killing the market, these guys are leaving money on the table, giving things away.

If Ford would sell the Mustang Roush cars at $35000 and all of the comparable cars were still being sold at $45000+, everyone would be buying the mustand, thus, killing the sports car market.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:29 AM   #24
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

The other orgs aren't making a KILLING off the riders. Some just pay the bills to keep in business.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #25
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
Anytime a new org comes around EVERYONE takes a hit.

Just a few years back we had LMS, LSTD and Ride Smart Things were just fine back then(for the most part ). Granted MH and other forums have drawn more people to the track. TTD came along and did so-so for a few years then went bankrupt. While they were doing that they obviously took from Ride Smart/LSTD and LMS.

Currently we have like 7 TD orgs

LSTD
Ride Smart
FL
3T
Whoopies
Elite
and now Xtreme
Exactly, all of this within one state, and how many tracks do we have access to??

Texas doesn't have the rider base to support the market enough to keep everyone(TD org's) on an even playing field, and then there is a certain level of "greed" too.

More street riders really should start riding on the track, it will definitely bring the death toll and crash toll down considerably once these stupid street riders figure out just how much safer and how much more fun a t/d really is/can be (not to mention insurance rates might be lowered for bikers.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #26
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
I laugh at the comments made circa 2008 when Ride Smart, LSTD and Longhorn owned the local market. People got pissy cuz Ride Smart filled the grids super tight and dropped prices to $135. There were enough red flags in the couple of Ride Smart events that I attended that I eventually quit attending and spent my money elsewhere (Fastline, LSTD, etc.) even though it was higher priced. Everyone bitched about the lack of rain policies (at least I did, lol) and there was none b/c "there was not a good profit margin in the industry". It is evident now that there is indeed a great deal of profit to be had in the business if people are hosting trackdays for $100-$130 and giving WEATHER/RAIN OUT policies. Competition, it 's needed to keep people honest.

The consumer will decide if the $40 savings is worth circling the track with wannabe racers causing red flags every session or if they want to pay more and ride with what tends to be more mature riders not pushing their limits as much, resulting in less crashes and red flags.

At the end of the day, there are plenty of riders in this demographic of all ages with different budgets. Let them decide who to ride with.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #27
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

All I see is opportunity for riders to ride track cheaper.

I don't see a thing wrong with that.

Jesus, you people just get riled up about everything.

HALFFAST GROUP
Old 06-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #28
NewRider

Bike(s):

HALFFAST GROUP
Old 06-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #29
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

IMO, the saying that the more trackday organizations there are, the better for the consumer is not quite true...in that it is TO A POINT.
Price seems to be a sticking point for a lot of folks, and rightfully so... to a point.
If you are a stone newbie, then the cheaper groups sound good, but they are not really all that good for you....for some there will be little safety in consideration... it is just an open trackday and for a newbie that could be a real problem... some groups have a little better set up for rules and safety on paper, then they go and overload the grids...
each of the groups has their own appeal, and short comings...these things take some time to figure out and can get you in hot water if you discuss the draw backs of each organization on some of the forums...no one really likes you bad mouthing their sponsors...
which group you as an individual come to prefer will vary and will depend on your ability and personality...some of the most well known groups are groups that i personally would not recommend to someone doing their very first trackday and yet those very groups are touted for their cheap first trackday and the freebies they offer first time riders....after you get used to trackdays and track riding those groups would serve you just fine IMO, but not the first one.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #30
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

i like having more track days available... im down to do more track days a month.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #31
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umayr View Post
i like having more track days available... im down to do more track days a month.
In reality... "more" track days wont really be available... there are only so many track dates to go around. Most are taken by cars, not bikes.

The reality is each ORG will have LESS dates.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #32
NewRider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus McBain View Post
Yeah I was one of the guys offended. Basically he used the tragedy at the RA Supersport race that left several racers seriously hurt as a "joke" to insinuate that his staff was more capable of starting a race than the AMA.

Don't know the guy...maybe he is a good guy, but that was about as sorry as an action/statement/promotion as you can make.
There have been bigger tragedies used for worst things, relax.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemmons View Post
Yeah, they aren't a school. I know they are straight track days. According to their insurance and stuff they technically aren't allowed to give out advice and stuff, but I did see on one of their control rider's Facebook that said "so proud of the improvements my students made."
, talk about just picking at things lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
IMO, the saying that the more trackday organizations there are, the better for the consumer is not quite true...in that it is TO A POINT.
Price seems to be a sticking point for a lot of folks, and rightfully so... to a point.
If you are a stone newbie, then the cheaper groups sound good, but they are not really all that good for you....for some there will be little safety in consideration... it is just an open trackday and for a newbie that could be a real problem... some groups have a little better set up for rules and safety on paper, then they go and overload the grids...
each of the groups has their own appeal, and short comings...these things take some time to figure out and can get you in hot water if you discuss the draw backs of each organization on some of the forums...no one really likes you bad mouthing their sponsors...
which group you as an individual come to prefer will vary and will depend on your ability and personality...some of the most well known groups are groups that i personally would not recommend to someone doing their very first trackday and yet those very groups are touted for their cheap first trackday and the freebies they offer first time riders....after you get used to trackdays and track riding those groups would serve you just fine IMO, but not the first one.
Why don't you just come put and say who you're talking about?

We ALL know who you are talking about.
Quote:
In reality... "more" track days wont really be available... there are only so many track dates to go around. Most are taken by cars, not bikes.

But more variety for the rider. Variety is the spice of life.

HALFFAST GROUP
Old 06-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #33
Racerxxx
CMRA #92

Im giving it a go as well. Why not. As long as theres not a bunch of misplaced people in level 3 I wont mind. I know Ride Smart has put 40 or more on the grid. My only concern is a noobie thinking hes hot on the street signing up for 2 or even 3. Not that it cant happen in other organizations. Im sure any organization with more "instruction" would be better for a noob though.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #34
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

Quote:

EH idk i feel there are trackdays now here in houston almost every weekend (TWS (Texas World Speedway)/msrh) Ride Smart does a good amount at msrc, which is far for me. fl idk whats going on with them but doesnt even have a track day until September and they only do msrh. Elite td's idk what that is but they dont have posted events, kinda look like one on one instruction. Whoops track days are totally different, they only allow a very small amount of riders, last time i did that it was only 8 riders all day, btw 30 min session with 30 mins cars next. LSTD never comes down to msrh they only do ecr and TWS (Texas World Speedway). You already know where i work, its really hard for me to have weekends off so having the variety is helping me this month (july) to get 4-5 track days in, before i could do like 2-3 MAYBE a month. Oh and 3T they are more national, they only swing by texas once in a while.

Last edited by r6racer; 06-28-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #35
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .

Trackdays: 7

Quote:

Old 06-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #36
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrad View Post
really the only organizers we have right now are like Ride Smart, Extreme, LSTD, Track tactics is finally coming out here doing track days, FL has nothing going on right now, neither does ELITE, and whoops i would say is more of a "exclusive" track day.

As for the grid complaints idk what you guys are talking about, ive had 0 issues with too many people on the track. All the crashes i see are because of rider error, if you have too many people in front of you then simply go around them because apparently you are faster right

and jimmy The last time you did Ride Smart, you went into l2 and you were waving people pass you, if you held your pace you wouldnt have worried about too many people being on there. but i mean it was your first time ever on that track, i dont think you would have any issues if you knew the track more that day

Last edited by r6racer; 06-28-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #37
ZX-Dominance

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1 (wifey)
2007 ZX-6R (track)
2008 Speed Triple White Knight (sold)
2008 CBR1000RR "Red Rocket"
2005 SV1000S (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umayr View Post
EH idk i feel there are trackdays now here in houston almost every weekend (TWS (Texas World Speedway)/msrh) Ride Smart does a good amount at msrc, which is far for me. fl idk whats going on with them but doesnt even have a track day until September and they only do msrh. Elite td's idk what that is but they dont have posted events, kinda look like one on one instruction. Whoops track days are totally different, they only allow a very small amount of riders, last time i did that it was only 8 riders all day, btw 30 min session with 30 mins cars next. LSTD never comes down to msrh they only do ecr and TWS (Texas World Speedway). You already know where i work, its really hard for me to have weekends off so having the variety is helping me this month (july) to get 4-5 track days in, before i could do like 2-3 MAYBE a month. Oh and 3T they are more national, they only swing by texas once in a while.
yup. while there is overlap, i dont think it's nearly enough to "kill" the business.

As long as there is demand- there will be business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerxxx View Post
Im giving it a go as well. Why not. As long as theres not a bunch of misplaced people in level 3 I wont mind. I know Ride Smart has put 40 or more on the grid. My only concern is a noobie thinking hes hot on the street signing up for 2 or even 3. Not that it cant happen in other organizations. Im sure any organization with more "instruction" would be better for a noob though.
this will not happen. If it does, a control rider will bump them down to 1 during the first session. It's VERY obvious when an inexperienced rider is in 2 or 3.

Level 1 however, that might be a different story. Could be total noobs mixed with level 2 riders who just dont want to move up, etc. I'll be in 3 and have no worries
Old 06-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #38
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
I think several CONSUMERS of "Texas Trackdays" would say otherwise right about now.
Exactly. Being cheaper just means you're not making enough to cover your .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJames View Post
As in price wise, we went from $175 down to $99 for a trackday??

Com'on, that's killing the market, these guys are leaving money on the table, giving things away.

If Ford would sell the Mustang Roush cars at $35000 and all of the comparable cars were still being sold at $45000+, everyone would be buying the mustand, thus, killing the sports car market.
You can't have one gas station selling gas at $.99/gal when all the others are selling at $4/gal. Nobody would ever pay the $4/gal, and the one selling it lower will go out of business, because they're paying more than the $1/gal for the gas they are selling. It's not always good business.

Quote:
The other orgs aren't making a KILLING off the riders. Some just pay the bills to keep in business.
This. I remember TTD very well. You can't pay your bills when your outgo is more than your income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post

The problem isn't with the quantity of organizations; it's with the quality of the organization.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Old 06-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #39
NewRider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
Exactly. Being cheaper just means you're not making enough to cover your .

You can't have one gas station selling gas at $.99/gal when all the others are selling at $4/gal. Nobody would ever pay the $4/gal, and the one selling it lower will go out of business, because they're paying more than the $1/gal for the gas they are selling. It's not always good business.

This. I remember TTD very well. You can't pay your bills when your outgo is more than your income.

The problem isn't with the quantity of organizations; it's with the quality of the organization.

How can you speak to the quality if you yourself have not used them?

Different strokes. There are a lot of riders that have been doing trackdays for a while and just don't want to spend time in a classroom that some orgs are requiring them to do.

What you see as good others might not and vice versa. The good thing is that there is an option for everyone

HALFFAST GROUP
Old 06-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #40
easyriderZX10R

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2007 ZX10R SE sold
Yamaha Road Star 1700
08 harley ultra classic
02 harley electra glide
Santa Cruz Bullet / Super T pro

Quote:
TWS (Texas World Speedway) rental rates for example:
2013 Peak Season Rates
Mon-Thu $4500/day
Fri-Sun $8400/day

2013 Off Season Rates
Mon-Fri $3500/day
Fri-Sun $5000/day

lets do a little basic math
120riders @ 140.00 ea. = 16,800.00gross profit.

MSRH rental rates:

Road course track rental rates PER DAY:

Weekday (M Th), Full Day $5,700
Weekend (F Su), Full Day $6,700

I fail to see your logic, someone is making money.

Advertisement