MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2007, 03:02 PM   #21
Rick H.I.C.
Got Surf? Snow? Track?

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
03' 600RR, 05' CR125, 88'NSR 250

Doesn't want to wear jacket but wants to wear more gear than is in a jacket... um, I'ma go now....
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
more protection for idiots coastalgix Off Topic 11 01-08-2015 02:17 PM
Winter protection Kawafasty General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 12-27-2012 04:50 PM
Hip Protection? Eric6R Gear Talk 4 09-04-2011 05:42 PM
Knee protection nqnguyen2 Gear Talk 34 03-22-2011 06:49 PM
How much protection does this provide? Perf_White_GT General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 08-02-2010 12:45 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2007, 03:03 PM   #22
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

I'll give him credit for wanting to wear gear. Flame him for choosing gear for the wrong reasons.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:06 PM   #23
del240z
MH's #1 HOBO

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
None at the moment..... :-(

Wether the guy's a poser or not doesnt matter. He want's to protect his expensive tat's.....wear a jacket. If he has a full sleeve those icon arm guards wont protect him in a crash. If he wears a mesh jacket he's offered the protection to his tat's as well as the rest of his body, but if he aint a poser like you say, then he'll have no problem wearing a jacket, right? :dontknow:

If you keep looking in the pantry and finding out its empty, eventually you go to a restaurant.
del240z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:08 PM   #24
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Well, ultimately, the choice to wear a jacket is up to him.
But whether or not you ride with full gear on is not the sole determining factor for whether or not someone is a posuer or not.

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:10 PM   #25
del240z
MH's #1 HOBO

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
None at the moment..... :-(

Well of course........but you cant honestly expect people not to flame when your trying to get opinions on the matter, the consensus is to "wear a jacket", and he doesnt want to wear one for "WHATEVER" reason....:dontknow:

If you keep looking in the pantry and finding out its empty, eventually you go to a restaurant.
del240z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:20 PM   #26
Crystalline
Can't ride now...

Experience: 2 years

Send a message via Yahoo to Crystalline
I cant believe this is an argument on this forum...
Old 03-23-2007, 03:20 PM   #27
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del
Well of course........but you cant honestly expect people not to flame when your trying to get opinions on the matter, the consensus is to "wear a jacket", and he doesnt want to wear one for "WHATEVER" reason....:dontknow:
I am on ya'll side on the jacket issue, he should definitely wear a jacket all the time.

But the other thing is that he was condemned as a posuer and the dude didnt even post here, his buddy did. He never got a chance to state his side of it, he never got a chance to explain. Maybe he wears a jacket alot and wanted something else for short trips or hot days or whatever.

All i know is that there are guys out there who ride with full leathers and GP boots every time they ride. Without exception. Those guys would call us poseurs for only riding with a jackets, helmets, gloves and blue jeans.

Khaki shirt.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:23 PM   #28
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

I am of the opinion that anyone that rides without a proper gear(at least helmet jacket etc.) is very foolish and needs to be educated in the dangers. I realize that some of you guys are still wet behind the ears and need guidance. There are so many dangers that we as a motorcycling community face that tattoo protection seems like a teenagers view on what gear to purchase. Steer your friend in the right direction and get him to wear proper gear. It is what friends do.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:27 PM   #29
indoMLA
If it's free, it's for me

Bike(s):
'02 Yamaha R6 - SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by less_than_coop
I am on ya'll side on the jacket issue, he should definitely wear a jacket all the time.

But the other thing is that he was condemned as a posuer and the dude didnt even post here, his buddy did. He never got a chance to state his side of it, he never got a chance to explain. Maybe he wears a jacket alot and wanted something else for short trips or hot days or whatever.

All i know is that there are guys out there who ride with full leathers and GP boots every time they ride. Without exception. Those guys would call us poseurs for only riding with a jackets, helmets, gloves and blue jeans.
I thought a poser was a person that wore all the proper gear (albeit with names all accross said gear), but just never rode his/her bike? A squid was a person that was underdressed and rode... So wouldn't the guys that wore the full leathers and GP boots call guys without the proper gear, squids? And then wouldn't the guys, that never wore the proper gear, call the guys that always wore the full leathers, posers because they are wearing gear (with name of the brand plastered all over) and not riding? :dontknow:
indoMLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:28 PM   #30
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoMLA
I thought a poser was a person that wore all the proper gear (albeit with names all accross said gear), but just never rode his/her bike? A squid was a person that was underdressed and rode... So wouldn't the guys that wore the full leathers and GP boots call guys without the proper gear, squids? And then wouldn't the guys, that never wore the proper gear, call the guys that always wore the full leathers, posers because they are wearing gear (with name of the brand plastered all over) and not riding? :dontknow:
Who wears full leathers while not riding? That is crazy!

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:29 PM   #31
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
Tell Chris to not be a little and wear a jacket.

Waaa!
Doing what I can...you know...as a friend

but now Im leaving this thread alone.

Khaki shirt.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:35 PM   #32
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
I would call someone a poser that is on or near a bike with the cliché gear on, sandals sunglasses muscle shirt or no shirt to show off the tats and muscles to attract girls. Said person would consider a 5 mile ride to the starbucks and back a long ride and complains when he gets home that his wrists hurt from his night out from his 10 mile round trip.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:35 PM   #33
indoMLA

Bike(s):
'02 Yamaha R6 - SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
Who wears full leathers while not riding? That is crazy!
I have seen a few guys come to class in their dainese and yamaha leathers with backpacks (with books in it)... it was mid-day... you can't expect me to believe these guys came to class like that because as soon as class was over they were going to a track... the give-away is when you wear leathers, you wear boots, these asshats were wearing sneakers...

I will give them the benefit of the doubt and if they were coming to class after a track day, and were able to swap out shoes, then you can take the 10 minutes to remove your leathers and put on a pair of jeans and t-shirt....
Old 03-23-2007, 03:37 PM   #34
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
I have seen a few guys come to class in their dainese and yamaha leathers with backpacks (with books in it)... it was mid-day... you can't expect me to believe these guys came to class like that because as soon as class was over they were going to a track... the give-away is when you wear leathers, you wear boots, these asshats were wearing sneakers...

I will give them the benefit of the doubt and if they were coming to class after a track day, and were able to swap out shoes, then you can take the 10 minutes to remove your leathers and put on a pair of jeans and t-shirt....

Can't say they were not trying to be as safe as possible. :laughing6

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:37 PM   #35
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:

new fashion statment.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:41 PM   #36
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

okay. i gotta add one more thing.

When you started talking about those guys in full leathers coming to class I thought about that scene in Naked Gun when Priscilla Presley says she insists they wear "protection" before getting intimate...cut to the next scene and they both have full body condoms on!

:laughing6 :laughing6 :laughing6 :laughing6 :laughing6

Khaki shirt.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:59 PM   #37
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Bohn makes a stretch mesh shirt like thing that has elbow, shoulder, chest and back protection. Cost like a $150.
I have one, seems like it would work pretty well. Plus if you dont wanna look like a mutant ninja turtle you can wear a long sleeve T-shirt over it. I usually wear a moto-X jersey.
I think Dainese or Alpinestar makes something like it too, but you will pay more.
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:01 PM   #38
indoMLA

Bike(s):
'02 Yamaha R6 - SOLD

Quote:
okay. i gotta add one more thing.

When you started talking about those guys in full leathers coming to class I thought about that scene in Naked Gun when Priscilla Presley says she insists they wear "protection" before getting intimate...cut to the next scene and they both have full body condoms on!

:laughing6 :laughing6 :laughing6 :laughing6 :laughing6
man, that movie is a classic.... they don't quite make them like they used to...
Old 03-23-2007, 04:48 PM   #39
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

^^ werd.

Khaki shirt.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:33 PM   #40
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Man, I forgot about this thread. Thanks for all of the input. Certainly was helpful! :confused1

This dude wears a Vanson leather jacket when he's not wearing his Joe Rocket mesh jacket. Just looking for something to save a little rash from cleaning out all his tats on short neighborhood trips (the kind that you can get killed on -- I know, I know). We're talking personal judgement calls here, risk vs. comfort.

Northside G35 - thanks for the PM, stuff should be about right.

Just wanted a little product advice not a sermon. Guess I forgot who I was asking.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement