MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #61
darranwil
Rev_Psilocybe

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2004 Buell Xb12s
2002 Buell Blast-(sold)
87 Honda Rebel 450 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy76 View Post
Had to think about it ... But push down how would you pull down?
Some people pull the bars, some push. Pushing gives you more control in an emergency since it pushes you back into the saddle. I got in the bad habit of pulling when I first started till it was pointed out to me and prior to watching Twist. Take some fast turns and practice a combined emergency brake and swerve and you'll see what I mean.

You want to avoid pushing down and push forward. Pushing down is a waste of effort and increases arm and wrist fatigue. It's covered in TOTW. It's best to make as much of your body one with the bike as possible. It keeps the bike more stable and lowers center of gravity. Do you sit up in fast stops and emergencys? Practice staying down on the tank. It'll take a little while but you'll soon see how it's safer and gives you more control. Takes a while to reprogram that survival response. After a few weeks it'll be completely natural.

Gem: "If the pegs aren't scraping, you got more turn available"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
has anybody figured out... Lucar The Circus 9 08-11-2013 07:40 PM
Something we’ve had fun with today and figured you would too… zampano Off Topic 6 08-27-2009 01:57 PM
cbr1000rr, i figured it out! 04RSVR General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 09-15-2008 11:27 AM
figured out my next bike ... logan5 General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 09-26-2007 12:25 AM
i figured I'd post this up paniro187 Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 0 08-22-2007 05:48 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #62
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerxxx View Post
A noob reading this would be like Too much info. I just do it lol
pfft all that i just hang off the bike and pray to it work like moto gp
Old 06-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #63
darranwil
Rev_Psilocybe

Bike(s):
2004 Buell Xb12s
2002 Buell Blast-(sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerxxx View Post
A noob reading this would be like Too much info. I just do it lol
I dont learn how the magazine or safety works on a gun, I just pick it up and pull the trigger. uh huh..
Old 06-28-2013, 12:25 AM   #64
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

You're only running wide on left handers not when going right? Are you left handed?

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:36 AM   #65
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Had to think about it ... But push down how would you pull down?
You are not trying to push the bar down..

Go back and review how to countersteer. Your forearms should be parallel to the ground, and you move the bars forward and aft, turning the wheel.

With a heavy bike, you may need to push and pull at the same time, along with weighting the peg and jumping across the seat, to make quick left/right transitions.

That is something wayyyy down the road for you though
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:47 AM   #66
Rowdy76

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
You're only running wide on left handers not when going right? Are you left handed?
Not running wide .. was cutting the corner short because I was fixating on yellow line ... I am right handed
Rowdy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:55 AM   #67
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
You are not trying to push the bar down..

Go back and review how to countersteer. Your forearms should be parallel to the ground, and you move the bars forward and aft, turning the wheel.

With a heavy bike, you may need to push and pull at the same time, along with weighting the peg and jumping across the seat, to make quick left/right transitions.

That is something wayyyy down the road for you though
I guess you missed the part where I said "Push Down" ... I understand countersteering. And Forward and Aft? I work with ships unloading and loading. Forward and Aft would refer to Front and Back ... side to side would be Port and Starboard. Countersteer is pushing down on the bar left or right ... not pulling the bars front or back that would be impossible.

I appreciate all the feedback .. but this was a post on me figuring something out and was sharing. I hope next time I have a question I can get the same response .. sometimes overwhelming because some people have different opinions but it cool to have some place inquire about stuff.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:59 AM   #68
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy76
Not running wide .. was cutting the corner short because I was fixating on yellow line ... I am right handed
Oh, ok.

I just remembered hearing about riders who would be subconsciously more conservative/less aggressive when turning toward their dominant hand, ie. right handed riders would do worse on right handed turns and same for lefties on left handed turns.

The idea was that there's some innate self-preservation at work in your brain that makes you protect your dominant hand from injury. But I'm right handed and feel equally comfortable turning right or left.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:21 AM   #69
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
Oh, ok.

I just remembered hearing about riders who would be subconsciously more conservative/less aggressive when turning toward their dominant hand, ie. right handed riders would do worse on right handed turns and same for lefties on left handed turns.

The idea was that there's some innate self-preservation at work in your brain that makes you protect your dominant hand from injury. But I'm right handed and feel equally comfortable turning right or left.
I was in my own head going left. It still felt weird setting up for a left hander .. not sure if it is because I am positioning away from my throttle hand ... its for sure a head thing. Going right I dont even think I just set up and go. It is weird. I just kept hearing about people talking about not crossing the line cause kissing a car head on is not a good way to finish off a ride. I just gotta turn the music up in my right ear (only wearing one ear bud) and go. Stop thinking about doing something and just look through the corner. Practice ... Practice ... Practice.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:24 AM   #70
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
I guess you missed the part where I said "Push Down" ... I understand countersteering. And Forward and Aft? I work with ships unloading and loading. Forward and Aft would refer to Front and Back ... side to side would be Port and Starboard. Countersteer is pushing down on the bar left or right ... not pulling the bars front or back that would be impossible.
Nope. You push/pull the bars in a horizontal plane, in the same motion as turning the bars at a stop.

Pushing DOWN accomplishes little or nothing to initiate a turn.

Sit on the bike, put your hands on the bars, now push/turn the wheel.

You need that exact same motion when riding.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:37 AM   #71
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Nope. You push/pull the bars in a horizontal plane, in the same motion as turning the bars at a stop.

Pushing DOWN accomplishes little or nothing to initiate a turn.

Sit on the bike, put your hands on the bars, now push/turn the wheel.

You need that exact same motion when riding.
I guess its something I do not notice. For example.. when I drive my truck I notice turning the wheel to go left or right. I am turning in the corner so I must be turning the wheel I just dont feel like I am. I put pressure on the bar to which way I want to go and the bike goes. I play around when going straight and make the bike move left and right just by pushing down on the bars with little to no effort. I guess I am steering when turning just not something I focused on when doing it (unconscious movement). So I guess that can be a good thing.. just doing it and not having to think about it... I got enough other clouding my head I am focusing on (trying to eliminate that).
Old 06-28-2013, 01:42 AM   #72
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Ok .. see here is where reading something and then visualizing it turns on that light bulb. I get what you are saying now about pushing and pulling the bars. I would still say I am "Pusher". If I want to go left I push with my right hand ... I dont pull left to go left.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:31 AM   #73
darranwil
Rev_Psilocybe

Bike(s):
2004 Buell Xb12s
2002 Buell Blast-(sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Ok .. see here is where reading something and then visualizing it turns on that light bulb. I get what you are saying now about pushing and pulling the bars. I would still say I am "Pusher". If I want to go left I push with my right hand ... I dont pull left to go left.
Ummm..Kinda. Push with left to go left, push with right to go right. Why it's called counter steering. You turn the front wheel in the opposite direction you want the bike to go which creates lean into the direction you want to go. This lean increases the contact patch and gravity pulls you through the turn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countersteering
Old 06-28-2013, 03:47 AM   #74
darranwil
Rev_Psilocybe

Bike(s):
2004 Buell Xb12s
2002 Buell Blast-(sold)

Member Garage

Maybe this will help...Probably not. Riding a Uni helped me greatly with riding a bike. On a Uni you "fall" into turns, the same way you do on a bike. It's kind of like how there IS gravity in space near objects of mass (gravity well), ie EARTH, but the space shuttle and space station are constantly in a controlled fall around the planet. This controlled fall creates the weightlessness we all know from tv.

It's that " I'M FALLING!!!" sensation survival response you have to get over in turns to be able to control a bike or Uni correctly. As long as you keep moving forward and have a good contact patch, ie, traction, you wont fall over. Hit the brakes or clutch and WHAMO, gravity wins, you loose. Friends laugh.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:59 AM   #75
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

It's just called steering. You must put force on the bars to make the bike turn and most riders have been doing it subconsciously since they rode bicycles as children. Obviously if you're making it through turns at speed and not ending up in a ditch or as a hood ornament, you've been steering the bike.

Lots of riders favor one side. Mostly it's in their head, but for right hand turns it can be the way they grip the throttle. If you have all your fingers wrapped firmly around the throttle grip in a right hand turn, it can put your wrist in a bind when you hang off. If you grip near the end of the throttle like you would a door , it will allow your wrist to be more straight and easier to make the turn.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:07 AM   #76
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
It's just called steering. You must put force on the bars to make the bike turn and most riders have been doing it subconsciously since they rode bicycles as children. Obviously if you're making it through turns at speed and not ending up in a ditch or as a hood ornament, you've been steering the bike.

Lots of riders favor one side. Mostly it's in their head, but for right hand turns it can be the way they grip the throttle. If you have all your fingers wrapped firmly around the throttle grip in a right hand turn, it can put your wrist in a bind when you hang off. If you grip near the end of the throttle like you would a door , it will allow your wrist to be more straight and easier to make the turn.
To clarify, If you're not comfortable turning right it could be the way you're gripping the throttle.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #77
TheBeeDeeGee

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2005 CBR 600 F4i
2001 RC51 *sold :(
2002 VFR 800 *sold
2002 919 *sold
2006 599 * wrecked

I think I push and pull when going into a quick bend. Pull the outside and push the inside....not sure how correct this is but it works for me to quickly get the bike tipped in.

As far as looking through a turn, that is definitely a rule the ALWAYS WORKS. At MSRH there was two times I ran wide in sugar and spice from locking up. I was coming into the turn on the brakes, and was screaming in my head "let got of the brakes, look and lean!" I ran wide twice because I thought I was still too hot, and held the front brake and looking right at the curbing I didn't want to hit....thankfully I just ran wide and stayed outta the gravel. (I should post that section of the video LOL)

Came through it again, looked through the turn, and the bike went like it was on rails, like magic. That is definitely a golden rule of motorcycling for me.
TheBeeDeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:07 PM   #78
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by darranwil View Post
Ummm..Kinda. Push with left to go left, push with right to go right. Why it's called counter steering. You turn the front wheel in the opposite direction you want the bike to go which creates lean into the direction you want to go. This lean increases the contact patch and gravity pulls you through the turn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countersteering
See now I am all confused in the head lol. I have to have steered the bike correctly or like Bevo said I would have ended up in a ditch somewhere. Having a hard time explaining myself I guess since I obviously have no clue what I am talking about .

So I am gonna go Full here....so you are telling me I am unconsciously turning my bars right when I am in a left hand or vice versa? So I am pushing with my left hand to the right to keep the bike stable? Kinda makes sense. If you let the wheel go to far left it would be causing friction and throw me over the bars ??? Highside?

Will pay close attention to this next time I ride.

Last edited by Rowdy76; 06-28-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #79
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
To clarify, If you're not comfortable turning right it could be the way you're gripping the throttle.
No right handers are fun .. I am right handed ... and I just twist and go ... left is where I am still finding a comfort zone.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #80
darranwil
Rev_Psilocybe

Bike(s):
2004 Buell Xb12s
2002 Buell Blast-(sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
See now I am all confused in the head lol. I have to have steered the bike correctly or like Bevo said I would have ended up in a ditch somewhere. Having a hard time explaining myself I guess since I obviously have no clue what I am talking about .

So I am gonna go Full here....so you are telling me I am unconsciously turning my bars right when I am in a left hand or vice versa? So I am pushing with my left hand to the right to keep the bike stable? Kinda makes sense. If you let the wheel go to far left it would be causing friction and throw me over the bars ??? Highside?

Will pay close attention to this next time I ride.
If you have any amount of lean. Yes. If bike is straight up, no. But you cannot take a decent turn with the bike straight up unless you are doing like 5 mph, or under.

Advertisement