MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
CaffeineRacer

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'03 SV650

Trusted shop for Stripped Bolt Removal

CaffeineRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stripped Drain Bolt Drumboy Motorcycles Unlimited 9 10-02-2012 10:54 AM
Stripped bolt brentkhack Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 10 03-14-2012 04:55 PM
stripped bolt how to? pester Off Topic 13 07-13-2008 10:32 PM
Stripped Allen Head Bolt, HELP? HoustonGixxer How To's and Q & A's 15 01-15-2008 02:16 PM
stripped bolt j_blevins75 How To's and Q & A's 9 08-12-2007 12:38 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2013, 11:17 PM   #2
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

Where is it located? Dremel a slot and wack it loose with impact screw driver.
I have both if you need it.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:42 PM   #3
CaffeineRacer

Bike(s):
'03 SV650

Montrose area. The fork is off the bike though, so I could bring it by if that easier and just try it real quick.

You think that would work? I was thinking about doing that, but then worried I'd cause more damage than good.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:12 AM   #4
eklikewhoa

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
zx10r

You could get a torx bit and try tapping it in to catch and force it to the bit of flats there.

If you wanna bring it north I can give it a go. Also have extractors and what not
eklikewhoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #5
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaffeineRacer View Post
Montrose area. The fork is off the bike though, so I could bring it by if that easier and just try it real quick.

You think that would work? I was thinking about doing that, but then worried I'd cause more damage than good.
I'm not too far from you. Just down off richmond and Kirby. 361-649-8733

edit: if you have enough threads on the back side, you can get some vise grips and "back" it out. Just don't your threads or you'll have to chase it with a tap.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
bluewave18
Safety Third

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

If it wasnt recessed I would say dremel. Dont see how that would work for this though.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #7
myla296

try jamming a latex glove over the end of the correct size tool, and hope that it conforms enough to give you the grip you need. (worked for me before)

May save time if you say what you have tried so that we don't offer stupid suggestions, like I may have just now. (you could be thinking "duh, I already tried that")
myla296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #8
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
Take a 3/8 extension probably 6 inches long and put it up to the whole. Hit the extension with a hammer a few times ( this will mushroom the top of the bolt and basically fill the whole some) once mushroomed. Take a 4 mm socket and hammer it into the whole. Then try turning.

If that doesn't work get an American Allen barely bigger than the 4 and hammer it in there. Then try turning
Old 06-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #9
CaffeineRacer

Bike(s):
'03 SV650

myla, probably a good idea:

So far I've tried a bolt extractor (craftsmen) which as I said in the original post broke. :-(
I also tried prior to that buying a new allen wrench and hammer it in there to see if I could get some more grip.

I'm going to try the hammering it to mushroom it as suggested by Romeo when I get home today.

Bluewave, why does it being recessed make the dremel idea not work? Do they not make small enough cutoff wheels to fit in there to cut the notch?

myla, latex glove is a very interesting idea. I may try that in conjuction with Romeo's idea.

No one trusts any shop to remove bolts though?

I'm almost convinced someone used red locktight to put this thing in, or completely cross threaded the whole thing in there.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #10
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

You can try a cut off. It doesnt look like you could get to it to me. Not to make a proper slot anyway
Old 06-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #11
Ninja T

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
09 ZX6R Monster Edition (sold)

Quote:
myla, probably a good idea:

So far I've tried a bolt extractor (craftsmen) which as I said in the original post broke. :-(
I also tried prior to that buying a new allen wrench and hammer it in there to see if I could get some more grip.

I'm going to try the hammering it to mushroom it as suggested by Romeo when I get home today.

Bluewave, why does it being recessed make the dremel idea not work? Do they not make small enough cutoff wheels to fit in there to cut the notch?

myla, latex glove is a very interesting idea. I may try that in conjuction with Romeo's idea.

No one trusts any shop to remove bolts though?

I'm almost convinced someone used red locktight to put this thing in, or completely cross threaded the whole thing in there.

Happened to me once before. I took mine to Mancuso on 59. Don't quite remember what they charged me....I think it was like 30min worth of labor.
Ninja T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #12
myla296

Yeah, it is funny how we offered other stuff to try. But, if you an avoid the liability of transporting (and time?), then might be worth our suggestions! Or, you're just wasting more time on the inevitable.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #13
CaffeineRacer

Bike(s):
'03 SV650

Yeah you guys are such huge jerks trying to be helpful and give suggestions. I can't believe people can be so mean. LOL

No, seriously I appreciate all your input, and these are some new tricks I'll have to try. I'm just at the point of "this was a 15 minute project, to remove the forks, that has turned into a multi-day project and I'm so frustrated I'll probably just break it." I think that is a state we all find ourselves in frequently.

I'm going to try these things tonight, but it none of them work then I'd like to take it to a shop and let an expert deal with my headache. ;-)
Old 06-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #14
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
Bring it to my shop. SAMs motorcycle sales. Ill pull it out for you
Old 06-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #15
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

^^^^ word
Old 06-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #16
CaffeineRacer

Bike(s):
'03 SV650

Alright Romeo, I'm bringing it by this afternoon so bring yo bolt wizardry skills.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #17
myla296

Quote:
Alright Romeo, I'm bringing it by this afternoon so bring yo bolt wizardry skills.
I guess we really wanted the gratification of getting that thing out yourself yours. But hey, if you're ready to give up, we understand.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #18
iBang

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'01 SV650N
'04 R1

I usually like to take another spare 6mm bolt from my misc bolts bin and weld it onto the head of the other bolt. That looks like plastic bodywork so maybe mig weld would be a bad idea but I've tigged small stuff like that before since you can do it in quick little bursts to keep it from getting too hot, and there's no splatter to hurt the bodywork.
iBang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #19
CaffeineRacer

Bike(s):
'03 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by myla296 View Post
I guess we really wanted the gratification of getting that thing out yourself yours. But hey, if you're ready to give up, we understand.
I want that too, but I want to be able to ride my bike to Arkansas next weekend more! ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBang View Post
I usually like to take another spare 6mm bolt from my misc bolts bin and weld it onto the head of the other bolt. That looks like plastic bodywork so maybe mig weld would be a bad idea but I've tigged small stuff like that before since you can do it in quick little bursts to keep it from getting too hot, and there's no splatter to hurt the bodywork.
Yeah I live in an apartment with severely limited resources, plus I've never welded before. :-( I keep on wanting to sign up for welding classes here, but they always fill up too fast. http://www.txrxlabs.org/classes/ (although I just looked and they have openings so I may sign up!)

Last edited by CaffeineRacer; 06-24-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #20
CaffeineRacer

Bike(s):
'03 SV650

We Have SUCCESS!!!! Thank you so much to Sam's Cycles for putting me out of my misery.

They drilled out the head and removed the bolt left in there and retapped the hole just to fix the horrific crossthreading that had been committed there. Great guys. Thanks so much.

Advertisement