MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #21
eltejano
I smell pretty

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:
Originally Posted by tustah View Post
tumblr milm341s3v1rw6xlno1 250

Only thing I can think of is that you need to be more aware of your surroundings, avoid riding next to cagers, and always have an escape plan.

I always feel paranoid at a stop light, for all the reasons you mentioned, which is why I'm extra cautious at stops.
Yup, the lights suck. Always on the clutch and gas and left foot on the shifter.

My drive to work in Austin was in the middle of like the 3rd or 4th worst traffic in America. People think HOuston is bad, nah. APD motors buddy was telling me how Austin has some of the highest motorcycle accident rates in the country by far. Its just a very dangerous place to ride. People here are very aggressive and careless.

I keep my head on a swivel and have escaped too many incidents of drivers coming in my lane, people running lights and stop signs, not paying attention in general or just driving like .

Take a ride in Austin traffic some time during heavy hours and see what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT GUY View Post
+1
People dont even know what happened and already forming opinions. Sigh.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Bike Almost Ready. 999 Taking it to the Track 18 09-14-2011 01:11 PM
Think I ain't ready for this year? cdill35 Taking it to the Track 45 02-13-2009 09:57 PM
Bike Is Ready! Dreamer!! General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 08-30-2008 12:06 AM
getting the bike ready to sell ENZO10R General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 06-16-2007 12:17 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #22
darranwil
Rev_Psilocybe

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2004 Buell Xb12s
2002 Buell Blast-(sold)
87 Honda Rebel 450 (sold)

Member Garage

Austin aggressive? I've worked and biked in austin. The only danger was the greasy slick roads from college kid cars, the slow stoned drivers, and the non motorized bikes breaking every law.

Houston is much more dangerous to ride in.

That said, you have to ride like every single car is about to hit you or turn in front of you. This expectation from some people that you can ride a bike with the same expectation of safety and laws of physics as if you are in a car is ignorant. Yes, we should be able to ride our bikes and not have to worry about that, but that isnt life, and life isnt fair. You have to ride in a defensive manor that is always giving you multiple outs in an emergency, and that the idiot next/behind/in front of you is going to kill you. Always calculating the statistics for every turn, stop, acceleration, bump...

It takes 2 to tango and unfortunately some humans will never understand how they had any responsibility for their own actions that increased the statistical odds of a collision. And sometimes it is never your fault.

happens. Sometimes your the hammer, sometimes the nail, usually the thumb..

I myself watch for micromovents, head movements, txt/cellphone hands, speed vs mass, possible trajectory of other vehicles to reach that just big enough hole, and the odds of where that silly human is going to move that large mass high velocity vehicle with zero sensory feedback. A good portion of accidents on a bike are avoidable. The overcorrecting after you missed the accident is another issue...

But he is beating the odds on the crashes, the majority being single vehicle 1/2 up accidents. IE, crashing your bike on a corner.

Did that sound douchie? I must become a real biker...
Old 06-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #23
Rowdy76

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
+1

That's just how he is, he comes off pretty harsh but most of the time he's right on the money. I enjoy reading his posts and seeing people get their panties in a bunch
I am new here so I guess I just got my first dose of realism by Racer X .. Paperback coming soon. I guess I am nieve to think that if you offer negative criticism ... A little positive is not too much to ask if the situation warrants it. I thought IMO this one would but such is life.
Rowdy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #24
DAT GUY

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
95 Sportster 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy76 View Post
I am new here so I guess I just got my first dose of realism by Racer X .. Paperback coming soon. I guess I am nieve to think that if you offer negative criticism ... A little positive is not too much to ask if the situation warrants it. I thought IMO this one would but such is life.
he's been riding a while and has seen a lot... same thing with this board, we see the same stories all the time and lots of excuses. Not trying to be negative, it's the truth and you'll see it if you stick around here long enough. I'm not trying to take away from the OP's thread and am not saying anything bad about him

Welcome to the two wheel riding community btw!
DAT GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #25
Lucar

Experience: 10+ years

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
At some point you need to ask yourself why are YOU getting into so many accidents, there are plenty of riders here who never crashed or maybe 1x in their riding careers. Those careers could soan decades.

At some point you need to start taking responsibilty for parts or actions that lead to your accidents.
Id have to say that I've rode street until this past march, and can vouch that in the last 2 years I may have had no more than one close call. every body that ever ride with me knows that 85% of my riding is 2up.
now that being said, you have to stop riding like super hero citizen I don't break a single law and get with the program. most big cities cars try to race bikes, cars do 15 over PSL, cars turn right at red lights, and so on and so on.. most of us know for a fact that the bike has to move faster than the cars and not keep with the flow
as to the comment quoted above, you should re-evaluate your riding.. my .02

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
Uh, ok.

How the am I responsible for being rear ended. Or having some head turn from the left lane into me when I am on the right. , that that hit me on the freeway, I was on the right lane. He did one of those sudden lane changes. I slammed the brakes but he still nailed me.
at MSF you're taught that the lane with the least probability of this kind of happening is the left.. why were you on the right? were you exiting with that pick up pulling the trailer?

I live and ride in the Austin area. One of the most dangerous cities to ride at. Very agressive drivers here.

Once we had some on a dually decide to pass us in our own lane on a construction zone with concrete barriers to our side and a car to our other. I was going 45 like I was supposed to, he was just in a hurry I guess. Almost slammed us into the wall. Most blatant and up thing I ever experienced on a bike. Guess that was my fault too.
I would had twist the throttle and jump in front of them (being aggressive as I am) or would had taken off, no need to ride next to anyone in a construction zone doing 2up

I am not surprised its you that comes and points fingers though.yeah, racerX is cool like that
Quote:
he's been riding a while and has seen a lot... same thing with this board, we see the same stories all the time and lots of excuses. Not trying to be negative, it's the truth and you'll see it if you stick around here long enough. I'm not trying to take away from the OP's thread and am not saying anything bad about him

Welcome to the two wheel riding community btw!
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #26
JP171

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
00' GSXR 750
05 636

I have just began to read here, I have been riding for over 30 years, almost 40 and I have 2 count em 2 wrecks in all that time, so I'm with racer X if you gotz that many in the short time yer riding ummm then ya gotz a problem! want help? remember this the cagers don't give a flyin fukk about you or your , they want to kill yer sorry and will do everything within their ability and power to do so, back down cause your ain't gonna win NEVER, so ride as though they want to kill you respond accordingly and drive your vehicle as though every other asshat on the road is a hazard then next thing to remember is that you aint all that and a truck full of chips, then you might be getting ready to bust my record

For those looking to give back to Texas and serve those in times of need, Join the Texas State Guard.
Locate a Recruiter http://www.gotxsg.com/join.php
JP171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #27
duston98
Duston

Bike(s):
BMW S1000 RR
HD Dyna Street Bob
KX250F
Pitster Pro X4r
PW50

Sucks this post got taken way out of context by Mr X..... Anyways, been there and done that, had my bikes parked on and off wondering if its really worth it. I was seriously injured by a cager a few yrs ago (texting and driving), my friends brother died shortly after on a bike (taken out by cager), then my best friend lost his leg when a cager side swiped him. I still choose to ride, but I'm careful where I ride and who I ride with. I now have a daughter (2 yrs old) and she weighs heavily on my mind and the decisions I make. I suppose there is risk in many things we do, but the consequences are pretty high when on two wheels. I grew up riding bikes, I started racing motocross when I was 5 and I can't remember a time I didn't have a bike. Perhaps one of these years ill "hang it up". For now ill keep riding and be as smart as I can about it.

D
duston98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #28
Blanco
BORC O.G.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 ZX10R & 09 ZX-14
'09 R1 (homeboy shopping network donation)
'07 ZX14 (sold)
'01 FZ1 (sold)
ZRX1100 (sold)

About time...man the up! No one said this was safe...jut fun!
Put your big boy pants on and ride!
Old 06-23-2013, 10:55 PM   #29
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

If u aint fallin' u aint ridin'
Old 06-24-2013, 08:14 AM   #30
Lucar

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAX View Post
If u aint fallin' u aint ridin'
Da faq kind of -ogy is this?
So we can say "if you're not drowning you ain't swimming? " some people..
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #31
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

Im just gonna say, you arent paying attention enough.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:27 AM   #32
ZizouTriumph
Isle of Man TT

Bike(s):
2008 HD VRSCDX
2009 Triumph Thruxton 900
2001 YAMAHA R6(Sold)
1976 Triumph Boneville (back home)

^^^This.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #33
nwall1

Bike(s):
2008 aprilia shiver 750
2002 cr250 (sold)
2003 rc51 (sold)

Austin is a horrible city to share with cagers i lived there for awhile and was dangerous. sweet local roads though. Houston sucks to. i just ride like no one can see me and just avoid cagers as much as possible.
nwall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:31 AM   #34
Doug
Hangover

Bike(s):
FLTRX

Riding around any major city is hazardous. The majority of close calls I've had were my fault. Either I was going too fast for my surroundings or left enough space. We cannot do anything about the drivers around us without risking going to jail ( shame too). So, our best bet is to error on the side of caution.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #35
brandontx

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

When my kiddo was born I was thinking the same thing. I sold my go fast bikes and got into motards and dirt riding. My motard actually got delivered the same day my child was born. Was a good day. Most of my riding is just play riding late at night and really early in the morning when traffic is light. And my bike doesn't like to go past 70 mph for very long so I keep my speed in check. I never ride two up. Want to leave at least one of us behind to look after my daughter is something happened. Maybe you could get into a little dirt riding. I honestly think it is more fun than riding onroad but it's a little bit of a hassle loading up the bike and what not. You get injured more but you risk breaking a leg and not losing one. Just saying you can minimize the risk and still have some fun, but riding around in a major city in traffic all day seems to be an unnecessary risk now that I have a child. Plus they are boring miles anyways.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #36
SideVinder650

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen

something they dont really teach at MSF or really gloss over is the fact that you have to make sure your not driving in cagers' blind spots.

This is easy when you think about it but hard in practice because cagers typically dont maintain a steady speed or you're trying to pass one and get caught in the blind spot of the other, etc...etc..

but being in plain view and sometimes even slowing down a bit can help keep enough space/distance/reaction time available to avoid alot of accidents, in my experience this has been the most helpful in keeping me safe on the road, toning it down a bit. and for the accidents i have been in whether it be in a car/bike/truck or any type of vehicle, had i slowed down then i probally could've done my part to avoid the accident, as when an accident occurs even if its not your fault, you might've been able to drive more defensivle to have avoided it altogether.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #37
Fastola
Banned

Bike(s):
06 CBR6er-street

User is banned

Fastola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #38
BoRyder
Its only paper...

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2015 BMW S1000R
2014 MV Agusta F3 800
2012 Aprilia RSV4 Factory Stolen
2007 Ducati 1098S Sold
2012 CBR 1KRR Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Samurai View Post
Im just gonna say, you arent paying attention enough.

^this^ just be more aware of your surroundings
Old 06-24-2013, 03:03 PM   #39
DeadMonkey

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
2004 SV650S

I think the smartest thing to do is not think of it as fault. When you think of traffic incidents as being one persons fault or the others it means you are thinking the one at fault was the only one that should have changed their behavior.

Below are some things I learned from close calls. these are things I started doing specifically because I almost got hit by a cage. had the accident occurred in any of these situations it would have been their "fault". people can't drive, so you have to drive enough for them too. just my $.02

Don't just avoid blind spots, stay in the front 90 degrees of the other drivers.

Be ready to maneuver hard to avoid someone that didn't see you.

Sometimes brakes are the right answer, but they make the bike stand up and go straight.

When slowing for a stop, I swerve from side to side in the lane. a tail light that is stationary doesn't distract from radio texting, or whatever. a light moving left to right catches the attention.
DeadMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement