MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
eltejano
I smell pretty

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

I think I am ready to get on the bike after over a year.

I have had a few bad experiences due to cagers in my riding career. From some suddely changing lanes into me on the freeway fracturing my leg and foot and driving off to someone turning right from the left lane with a trailer hauling a huge industrial A/C that ended up rolled on my bike and my wife under the bike. Dont know how but she was unharmed besides a few asphalt rocks in her foot.

Fast forward a few years, after a few close calls here and there, I am at a light, the car behind me gets obliterated by a drunk driver. I barely escape cause I heard tires and clutched the out of it and ran the light. Still got hit by the car behind me but managed to stay on the bike.

Now I have a child and this makes me rethink all this.Decided to park it.

A good year went by or so and decided to give it a try again. I rode for a few days and was feeling comfortable again. My wife asked me to run her to her work on the bike cause she missed not riding. I had vowed to never ride 2 up with her after that couple from Houston orphaned a pair of kids when they were killed together in Austin on Like Creek road.

I broke one of my rules.

AGAIN, some turns right from the left lane as we are on the right. Left blinker on and all. We are lucky to be alive after that, just some gnarly rash on the knees. Now I have a second child and I say thats it.

So bikes have been parked for well over a year now again.

I think I am gonna give it one more shot. Maybe I will just stick to track.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Bike Almost Ready. 999 Taking it to the Track 18 09-14-2011 01:11 PM
Think I ain't ready for this year? cdill35 Taking it to the Track 45 02-13-2009 09:57 PM
Bike Is Ready! Dreamer!! General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 08-30-2008 12:06 AM
getting the bike ready to sell ENZO10R General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 06-16-2007 12:17 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
ZX-Dominance

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1 (wifey)
2007 ZX-6R (track)
2008 Speed Triple White Knight (sold)
2008 CBR1000RR "Red Rocket"
2005 SV1000S (sold)

So sorry to hear about the misfortunes. If I were you I'd stick to track only. I'm in a small town outside of Houston, but am moving to Dallas soon and have already put my street bike up for sale. Just not worth it

Ps- not law suits or settlements? I'd like to thnk if that many cars had caused me accidents I'd be riding (and driving) a beemer
ZX-Dominance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
eltejano
I smell pretty

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-Dominance View Post
So sorry to hear about the misfortunes. If I were you I'd stick to track only. I'm in a small town outside of Houston, but am moving to Dallas soon and have already put my street bike up for sale. Just not worth it

Ps- not law suits or settlements? I'd like to thnk if that many cars had caused me accidents I'd be riding (and driving) a beemer
It all worked out. Some favorably some not. But hey, no permanent damage and I am still here.

Might just do track.
tejano? Rape me
Old 06-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

At some point you need to ask yourself why are YOU getting into so many accidents, there are plenty of riders here who never crashed or maybe 1x in their riding careers. Those careers could soan decades.

At some point you need to start taking responsibilty for parts or actions that lead to your accidents.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
eltejano
I smell pretty

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
At some point you need to ask yourself why are YOU getting into so many accidents, there are plenty of riders here who never crashed or maybe 1x in their riding careers. Those careers could soan decades.

At some point you need to start taking responsibilty for parts or actions that lead to your accidents.
Uh, ok.

How the am I responsible for being rear ended. Or having some head turn from the left lane into me when I am on the right. , that that hit me on the freeway, I was on the right lane. He did one of those sudden lane changes. I slammed the brakes but he still nailed me.

I live and ride in the Austin area. One of the most dangerous cities to ride at. Very agressive drivers here.

Once we had some on a dually decide to pass us in our own lane on a construction zone with concrete barriers to our side and a car to our other. I was going 45 like I was supposed to, he was just in a hurry I guess. Almost slammed us into the wall. Most blatant and up thing I ever experienced on a bike. Guess that was my fault too.

I am not surprised its you that comes and points fingers though.
tejano? Rape me

Last edited by eltejano; 06-23-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Whatever floats ur boat, youve been given plenty of chances to learn from your mistakes, you haven't learned from ALL your crashes. My recommend keep you and your old lady off of 2 wheels for the kids sake. If not, have lots of life ins $.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016

Last edited by RACER X; 06-23-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #7
Rowdy76

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Whatever floats ur boat, youve been given plenty of chances to learn from your mistakes, you haven't learned from ALL your crashes. My recommend keep you and your old lady off of 2 wheels for the kids sake. If not, have lots of life ins $.
From a new riders stand point... why you gotta be such a about it. I am learning real fast not to trust cagers at all so if that means slowing down or speeding up to stay away from them so be it. Maybe some constructive criticisim instead of negative.

To mean it reads as if the OP is too trusting of cagers and maybe should ride a little more defensive. I was not there during the situations but just my opinion.

RACER X I am sure in all your experience you can help instead of put down a rider. Sometimes people do stupid and purposely put themselves in harms ways .. by all means thrash them. Doesnt sound like the OP was riding like and idiot, just riding without scanning his area constantly and letting things sneak up on him to fast. In my short 2 months of riding I assume the car next to me is gonna try to come over on me and the car in front or back is gonna try to sandwich me. So I just try to get away from them or make sure I have an escape route. I have gotten off a road for a min pulled in a parking lot to get away from a group of cars just because they made me nervous. Cost me a whole 5 min of time but I didnt want to be squished by some juking and jiving trying to get somewhere 2 sec early by driving like .

eltejano ... ride .. ride safe .. ride like every cage is trying to take you out.. not always a fun ride but you get home safe. You can still have fun but if you think that cage is worried about you ... you are wrong. Stay safe man and do what you think is best for you and yours.
Rowdy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Truth hurts, no BS to what ive stated nor ill will, it is what it is

there are a lot of riders that dont get that many chances and are killed in wreck #1, so how many lives does this cat have left? Will the next wreck be the one that gets him killed?

Never said anything about how he was riding squid or decent, makes no diff. He keeps crashing.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 06-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #9
eltejano
I smell pretty

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy76 View Post
From a new riders stand point... why you gotta be such a about it. I am learning real fast not to trust cagers at all so if that means slowing down or speeding up to stay away from them so be it. Maybe some constructive criticisim instead of negative.

To mean it reads as if the OP is too trusting of cagers and maybe should ride a little more defensive. I was not there during the situations but just my opinion.

RACER X I am sure in all your experience you can help instead of put down a rider. Sometimes people do stupid and purposely put themselves in harms ways .. by all means thrash them. Doesnt sound like the OP was riding like and idiot, just riding without scanning his area constantly and letting things sneak up on him to fast. In my short 2 months of riding I assume the car next to me is gonna try to come over on me and the car in front or back is gonna try to sandwich me. So I just try to get away from them or make sure I have an escape route. I have gotten off a road for a min pulled in a parking lot to get away from a group of cars just because they made me nervous. Cost me a whole 5 min of time but I didnt want to be squished by some juking and jiving trying to get somewhere 2 sec early by driving like .

eltejano ... ride .. ride safe .. ride like every cage is trying to take you out.. not always a fun ride but you get home safe. You can still have fun but if you think that cage is worried about you ... you are wrong. Stay safe man and do what you think is best for you and yours.
Dude, he loves being a . A mom of a guy that died came on here asking him to please stop taking bad about him and it did nothing to discourage him. Albeit the kid was in the wrong and cost him his life. The mom was just grieving but it mattered not to mister X. It's like arguing with a wall.
tejano? Rape me
Old 06-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #10
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Truth hurts, no BS to what ive stated nor ill will, it is what it is

there are a lot of riders that dont get that many chances and are killed in wreck #1, so how many lives does this cat have left? Will the next wreck be the one that gets him killed?

Never said anything about how he was riding squid or decent, makes no diff. He keeps crashing.
Exactly why someone who has 10+ years experience should be trying to help someone instead your approach. Not sure if you have ever when down but I really dont think you leaned/or would learn anything from it because someone was a and told you to save your cat lives and stop riding.

If your purpose on this forum is to be a .. you got more issues with life than the OP does with his riding.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #11
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

You think everybody should ride? Well your wrong there are a lot if people that shouldnt ride. Maybe he's one of them. Sad but true
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 06-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #12
eltejano
I smell pretty

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:
You think everybody should ride? Well your wrong there are a lot if people that shouldnt ride. Maybe he's one of them. Sad but true
Point proven
tejano? Rape me
Old 06-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #13
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Dunno maybe stick strictly to track riding, nothing wrong w that

But your kids deserve to have you around.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 06-23-2013, 04:55 PM   #14
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
No you are just trying to put words in my mouth. I believe there are probably some people out there that shouldnt ride if they want to live a long life. But again I will state it does not sound as if they OP was intentionally trying to put himself in harms way which means a little guidance would have probably resulted in a few less run ins with cagers.

I think if he does decide to ride again he needs to evaluate how he rides go over the crashes he has had and do his best not to get in the same situations if he does not want to eat the pavement. While they may have not been totally his fault ... there may have been a way to avoid them and that is what we all strive for out on the road. Do our best to have fun riding while avoiding the idiots that do not look for us.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:58 PM   #15
eltejano
I smell pretty

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:
No you are just trying to put words in my mouth. I believe there are probably some people out there that shouldnt ride if they want to live a long life. But again I will state it does not sound as if they OP was intentionally trying to put himself in harms way which means a little guidance would have probably resulted in a few less run ins with cagers.

I think if he does decide to ride again he needs to evaluate how he rides go over the crashes he has had and do his best not to get in the same situations if he does not want to eat the pavement. While they may have not been totally his fault ... there may have been a way to avoid them and that is what we all strive for out on the road. Do our best to have fun riding while avoiding the idiots that do not look for us.
Warning you, stop arguing with this guy, he lives for this. He actually requires it to survive. Like plants need light. Do not feed the troll.
tejano? Rape me
Old 06-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #16
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
Warning you, stop arguing with this guy, he lives for this. He actually requires it to survive. Like plants need light. Do not feed the troll.
Its cool man. I am not arguing with him. Its no contest really. I hope you decide what is right for you man. If you wanna ride .. do it... just be careful and I would stay away from 2up until you gets some good miles under you without another incident. Maybe go take an adv ride course .. its the part two of the MSF course. A little instruction never hurt anyone and its only like 80 bucks and one day. A little one on one with an instruction going over your incidents can give you some insight on what went so wrong couldnt hurt.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #17
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
There are plenty of people that shouldn't ride. That is a fact.

Regardless off his riding style, the fact is that he's crashed X times in ? Yrs, how many crashes till he's dead?

The old addadge about learning till it kills you can in fact be truth and w kids you "shouldnt" be taking those kinds if risk, now whether you do or not us your own valition.

So only riding advice should be given vs life advice, thanks for the internet tip, im new to this stuff

Lol
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 06-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #18
tustah

Bike(s):
2008 GSX-R750

tumblr milm341s3v1rw6xlno1 250

Only thing I can think of is that you need to be more aware of your surroundings, avoid riding next to cagers, and always have an escape plan.

I always feel paranoid at a stop light, for all the reasons you mentioned, which is why I'm extra cautious at stops.
tustah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #19
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

lmao at some of these posts.. happens dude. street is honesty getting kinda boring anyway. there are not many roads near houston that are fun anyway, plus people dont usually die at tracks, especially houston/texas tracks. riding tracks will be the safest.

i want to sell my street bike, keep my track bike and get clip on lights for it and throw a clip on license plate. easy on/off type of thing. go on occasional street rides... also good thing is, there is no rear seat on track fairings
Old 06-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #20
DAT GUY

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
81 XS650
95 Sportster 1200-sold
07 650R-sold

Quote:

+1

Quote:
From a new riders stand point... why you gotta be such a about it.
That's just how he is, he comes off pretty harsh but most of the time he's right on the money. I enjoy reading his posts and seeing people get their panties in a bunch

Last edited by a forum moderator; 06-23-2013 at 05:53 PM.
DAT GUY is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement