Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
tustah

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2008 GSX-R750

Dainese vs. Held Gloves

In the market to purchase gloves and after doing extensive research online, I still can't decide between these two brands.

Price is not an issue - I'm willing to spend a pretty dime for protective gear. Gloves are primarily used for road use (school/work commute), so air flow, comfort, and durability are my most important factors.

Perhaps you guys have some experience from using these gloves?

I know 2 Wheel Toyz has Dainese in stock, so I'll venture to try them on when I get a break from work.
tustah is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Held Gloves BigComfy Gear Talk 10 09-22-2008 06:24 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

I've had both, crashed on both, and the held's held (pun intended) better.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Held imo, but D has better marketing lol
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
Brutus

I crashed hard in Held Titan gloves and they held up great. The titanium knuckle covers were smashed in, but the carbon fiber underneath backed up the ti and provided great protection. Held just came out with a new Phantom glove, reworked. I bet it's a great glove.

Dainese Full Metal Racer gloves are nice too if you can get a deal on them from 2Wheelz.
Brutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
tustah

Bike(s):
2008 GSX-R750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irak View Post
I've had both, crashed on both, and the held's held (pun intended) better.
Looks like you're on the same boat with what everyone is saying: Held > Dainese for durability. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
I crashed hard in Held Titan gloves and they held up great. The titanium knuckle covers were smashed in, but the carbon fiber underneath backed up the ti and provided great protection. Held just came out with a new Phantom glove, reworked. I bet it's a great glove.

Dainese Full Metal Racer gloves are nice too if you can get a deal on them from 2Wheelz.
I read that the Titans are a bit stiffer on the wrist area, but that is due to protection purposes. Would you feel that this is too much glove for road use?
Old 06-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

I've had some Teknic gauntlets for 13 years and they're still in great shape.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
Lucar

Member Garage

dainese full metal pro
teknic chicane gaunlets
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #8
Brutus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tustah View Post
Looks like you're on the same boat with what everyone is saying: Held > Dainese for durability. Thanks!

I read that the Titans are a bit stiffer on the wrist area, but that is due to protection purposes. Would you feel that this is too much glove for road use?
Well, in my mind, nothing is too much for road use; but, then again, I really want to protect my hands. I would say you would be very happy with the new Phantoms for street. Held finally has the glove thing down and I think they're going to make sure the new Phantom is the high bar (in other words, they will make sure their manufacturers don't screw up quality).

If you like the Titans better, you're be good there too. I got a pair a couple of years ago and the threads started coming out of the index finger. I sent them in to be fixed and they sent me a new set. Sometimes the factories just screw up.
Brutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #9
Jredford
Rotsevnieht

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
FZ1
R1200RT
CRF450X Tard
R6 Friggin Rocket Ship
CRMA Lic #622

I have both, crashed in both - both held up nicely. IMHO the quality of Held's has declined the last few years.

"Racing is life... everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in 'Le Mans'
Jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:49 PM   #10
tankmonkey

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
sv650s (race)
ninja 250r (race)
crf450x motard (rip)

I love my held phantoms. they have held up well since I've owned them (2 years in September). thus far I haven't had the opportunity to test them out, though.

I saw some comments on teknics - I have a pair of the old teknic violator pro gloves, which I loved, but the leather finally wore through the palms. teknic went downhill significantly a number of years ago, so I ended up shopping around elsewhere for replacements. it appears teknic may finally be out of business at this point.
tankmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #11
CCH
Innocent Bystander

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2000 Ducati 996
1991 Suzuki RGV250m two-smoke bicycle on crack
1999 R6 sold to a dip$h!t
1995 Ducati 900SP gone, more or less
1999 Ducati 996 died a glorious death in North GA, Feb 2006

Member Garage

I used to go through a pair of Teknic gloves per year until Anna bought me a pair of Held gloves. It took 9 years for the palms to start to wear through. Crashed in them twice, but they didn't take much of a hit - just some slight abrasions.

Whatever the ceramic impregnated super alien kangaroo beast uber leather that they make them out of is the real deal. I'm sold on them, and they're one of the few things that really are worth what you pay for them. For the record, We've got 3 Dainese suits and three jackets in the closet so nothing against them, but I don't think it gets much better than Held in the glove department.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #12
tustah

Bike(s):
2008 GSX-R750

Thanks for the input guys. If I get Held, it will most likely be the Phantom II.

For Dainese, the Full Metal Ride Smart is the successor of the Full Metal Pro, right?