MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #1
The Habernatho

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2012 Street Triple R

Who has a GSXR 750?

I'm about to pick up another bike, and the 2013 GSXR-750 is on the short list. However, having never ridden one, I'm reluctant to take the plunge. I had a 2002 GSXR 1000 and it had more than enough power. That being said, I've ridden a 2006 GSXR 600, and felt like that engine was way underpowered. I was wanting to see if anyone on here had one that they would allow me to ride briefly. To get a good comparison, I'm interested in riding the 2008 to present model. Obviously, a 2011 upward would be ideal for a direct comparison.

The other bike on the shortlist is a 2007-2008 CBR 600RR. Having already owned that model, I know what I'd be getting myself into. If anyone owns both, or has spent a significant amount of seat time on both that can offer a comparison, it be appreciated. Also, I'm not interested in a newer CBR because of the ecu changes. I realize, I could switch out the ecu, etc., but I am also partial to the graphics on those particular model years. Thanks
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
06 gsxr 1000 wheel fit 06 gsxr 750??? SLICKRICKTEN How To's and Q & A's 0 10-28-2013 05:33 PM
2008 GSXR 750 w/ 2007 GSXR Header PB125 General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 06-18-2009 10:14 AM
gsxr 750 1999 ?? seratt How To's and Q & A's 10 06-16-2008 05:27 PM
2003 750 gsxr Dgig How To's and Q & A's 11 12-23-2007 12:16 AM
gsxr 750 psyk02 How To's and Q & A's 7 11-25-2006 07:15 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-20-2013, 12:10 AM   #2
proasian3

Feedback Rating: (5)

Price point on an 07-08 CBR600 and a 2013 GSXR750 I can imagine is huge! I've ridden (err crashed) the 08 GSXR750 and really liked it. The power is nothing like a GSXR1000 but it pulls hard. I've not ridden a CBR on track but from what I understand the power is very linear and usable. But it's a 600.
proasian3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:43 AM   #3
The Habernatho

Bike(s):
2012 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by proasian3 View Post
Price point on an 07-08 CBR600 and a 2013 GSXR750 I can imagine is huge! I've ridden (err crashed) the 08 GSXR750 and really liked it. The power is nothing like a GSXR1000 but it pulls hard. I've not ridden a CBR on track but from what I understand the power is very linear and usable. But it's a 600.
It is a 600, but the power to weight ratio is pretty good on the bike. 397 pounds with fuel, 106hp and 45lbs-ft of torque. Compared to the 2013 GSXR 750 425 pounds with fuel, 126 hp and 55lbs-ft of torque. The GSXR has a slipper clutch, which the CBR doesn't. Not sure how big of a benefit it is, but the GSXR also has big piston forks. The price difference between the two is about double. Personally, trying to save money up front has always ended up costlier for me in the long run. That's why I'd like to ride the 750 to see if I actually prefer it over the CBR.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
wtaylor
TaylorMade

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07 gsxr 750
03 f4i (sold)

I have an 07 for sale 13,000 miles runs very strong here's the link willing to negotiate on price
http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...hlight=wtaylor
wtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

We have an '02 and its a great bike, no doubt less powerful than the newer models, though. They used to call it the "perfect" sport bike. The only reason for its existence, however, is AMA homologation rules. Many years ago the biggest I4 bike allowed in AMA super bike racing was a 750cc. Twins were allowed 1000ccs - that's why honda's RC 51 and the Ducati twins were so popular and competitive. When the rules were changed to allow 1000cc I4s the 750 stuck around as a well balanced piece of nostalgia.

As a track bike it's great, but if I were going to get a 120+ HP street bike I'd probably just go ahead and get a 1000 for all of the extra torque.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Habernatho View Post
I'm about to pick up another bike, and the 2013 GSXR-750 is on the short list. However, having never ridden one, I'm reluctant to take the plunge. I had a 2002 GSXR 1000 and it had more than enough power. That being said, I've ridden a 2006 GSXR 600, and felt like that engine was way underpowered. I was wanting to see if anyone on here had one that they would allow me to ride briefly. To get a good comparison, I'm interested in riding the 2008 to present model. Obviously, a 2011 upward would be ideal for a direct comparison.

The other bike on the shortlist is a 2007-2008 CBR 600RR. Having already owned that model, I know what I'd be getting myself into. If anyone owns both, or has spent a significant amount of seat time on both that can offer a comparison, it be appreciated. Also, I'm not interested in a newer CBR because of the ecu changes. I realize, I could switch out the ecu, etc., but I am also partial to the graphics on those particular model years. Thanks
If a '06 gsxr 600 was "way underpowered" the CBR isn't going to be any better. The current 750 makes almost as much HP as the old '02 1000, but not as much torque. So it too will probably feel "way underpowered."

I question anyone who can find any modern 600 bike "way underpowered."
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #7
The Habernatho

Bike(s):
2012 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
If a '06 gsxr 600 was "way underpowered" the CBR isn't going to be any better. The current 750 makes almost as much HP as the old '02 1000, but not as much torque. So it too will probably feel "way underpowered."

I question anyone who can find any modern 600 bike "way underpowered."
Question all you want. Not really looking for a match here. If you read my original post, I said that I already owned the CBR for a few years. For me, it definitely is a better bike in terms of power than the same year GSXR or R-6 for that matter. The power of that bike was also better than the two 636 Ninjas(03' & 06') that I had. Granted the R-6 had better peak hp, unfortunately it was concentrated in the very upper rpm band, which made it an anemic streetbike. The CBR had actual usable midrange power that the R-6 or GSXR lacked. That combined with Honda reliability made it a great bike. The 02' GSXR 1000 had about 20hp on a current 750, as well as more torque.I'm really looking for people with first hand experience on the matter.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #8
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Habernatho View Post
Question all you want. Not really looking for a match here. If you read my original post, I said that I already owned the CBR for a few years. For me, it definitely is a better bike in terms of power than the same year GSXR or R-6 for that matter. The power of that bike was also better than the two 636 Ninjas(03' & 06') that I had. Granted the R-6 had better peak hp, unfortunately it was concentrated in the very upper rpm band, which made it an anemic streetbike. The CBR had actual usable midrange power that the R-6 or GSXR lacked. That combined with Honda reliability made it a great bike. The 02' GSXR 1000 had about 20hp on a current 750, as well as more torque.I'm really looking for people with first hand experience on the matter.
I do have first hand experience. I've owned or ridden most of the bikes you're talking about. However, I'm not sure we can have a discussion using common ground as I find it incredulous that you thought the CBR600 had more midrange than the '06 636.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
The Habernatho

Bike(s):
2012 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
I do have first hand experience. I've owned or ridden most of the bikes you're talking about. However, I'm not sure we can have a discussion using common ground as I find it incredulous that you thought the CBR600 had more midrange than the '06 636.
The only two in question were the 07-08 CBR 600RR and the 08-present GSXR-750. If you have extensive seat time on both, I'm all ears.

Advertisement