MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2005, 12:28 PM   #1
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

another "runner"

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/local/11532136.htm

Posted on Sat, Apr. 30, 2005

Man dies trying to outrun officers

By Deanna Boyd

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

FORT WORTH - A 24-year-old college student was killed early Friday when police say he wrecked his motorcycle while trying to outrun officers.

Trung Tran of Grand Prairie was pronounced dead at the scene about 1:25 a.m.

Sgt. Don Hanlon said two officers in a patrol car tried to make a traffic stop after they spotted Tran driving recklessly and speeding north on U.S. 287.

"The motorcycle rider turned back, looked at the officers in their marked unit with their lights on and began to accelerate," Hanlon said.

Hanlon said Tran was trying to exit to northbound Interstate 35W when he failed to negotiate the exit ramp and went airborne across I-35W, striking the highway's center barrier.

He was thrown from the motorcycle and struck by a southbound tractor-trailer, Hanlon said.

Witnesses reported that he was going more than 100 mph right before the accident, Hanlon said.

The truck driver was not injured in the wreck and did not know what had struck his truck's left front bumper until he pulled over and saw Tran's body, Hanlon said.

He said that after Tran was thrown from the bike, the motorcycle continued traveling northbound about 1,000 feet before crashing. He said the officers did not witness the wreck but pulled over and found the man dead.

"They came right up after the fact, and the motorcycle was still going down the freeway without a rider on it," Hanlon said.

Hanlon said the investigation is continuing.

"We're still trying to determine why he was running," Hanlon said. "It may have been just as simple as he didn't want to get tickets."

Tran's half brother, Tom Vo, said Tran, a former student at South Grand Prairie High School, studied business management at the University of Texas at Arlington.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is this a re-post? "Fastest" MotoGP full length documentary sequel to "Faster". eltejano General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 05-27-2011 10:23 AM
Anyone seen this "Red Light Runner"? TheMagicMan General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 08-31-2007 09:31 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2005, 12:33 PM   #2
Lobo

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2002 R6
2007 R1
2007 R6
Custom

Send a message via AIM to Lobo Send a message via Yahoo to Lobo
Re: another "runner"

Holy !!!!!! flew off and hit by an oncoming 18 wheeler...... Ouchies !!!

Never pays to run from da man !!!

http://www.myspace.com/hyperspeedr6
48c8a880
Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 12:41 PM   #3
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

YA SEE

it's cheaper to just pull it over and take it like a man....

pay the fine and ride another day.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 12:56 PM   #4
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country
'13 Victory Judge

Member Garage

Quote:
...Tran was trying to exit to northbound Interstate 35W when he failed to negotiate the exit ramp and went airborne across I-35W, striking the highway's center barrier. He was thrown from the motorcycle and struck by a southbound tractor-trailer, ...
OUCH.......... :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

I'm sorry for his parents........RIP Tran.
Zapata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 01:41 PM   #5
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

This is getting sad.... anybody that rides with me and runs is getting a beat down!

Besides... how many times do you get to enjoy the slowest guy in your pack getting a warnig for obstructing traffic?

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 07:38 PM   #6
tbone16

The Fuzz are your friends. As much as I hate them, they are here for our protection.
tbone16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 12:00 AM   #7
Lobo

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2002 R6
2007 R1
2007 R6
Custom

Send a message via AIM to Lobo Send a message via Yahoo to Lobo

I got pulled over 2 weeks ago Saturday night by DPS on 249........ was like 3 AM and cold as out..... I pulled over immediately and the DPS officer mentioned he was glad to see I did, that I wore gear and a Helmet, mentioned they were cracking down on bikes due to alot of runners in Houston lately. Got a ticket still cause everyone knows DPS don't play... 84 in a 65, first ticket in 8 years so looks like defensive driving, M endorsement and insurance and tags and inspection was all good. Only took about 10 minutes of my time and was not any kind of inconvenience to me. Running is just too risky. and being the Only Red Bull R6 in Houston, not very wise of me to try and run anyways.

Now the buzz around town from fellow bikers at 1960 and poser's the cops are coming down alot harder on bikes lately due to the recent runners... Several "legit" people I know have been pulled over. Most common seems to be Check out inspection, "basically see who is a runner and who is not, or who is legal and who is not " IMO.

Just doesnt pay to run from da man !.....

http://www.myspace.com/hyperspeedr6
48c8a880
Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 07:10 AM   #8
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

larry, you couldnt have gotten away anyway,, its a good thing you pulled over,,,

i'm proud of you homie...
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement