MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #21
zpooch

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2000 XR650R
2002 Suzuki DRZ 400e
2001 Kawi ZRX1200R
2005 Speed Triple (Traded) 2009 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V (sold)
2000 Monster 900Sie (sold) 2002 RC51 (sold)

What is the big need for angled valve stems? Seems everybody about it but I don't think I have ever had an issue with valve stems
zpooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is your favorite handgun manufacturer and why? Kinny Off Topic 26 03-20-2009 11:40 PM
Fair warning: RANT, long rant tyme2move General Discussion (Moto Related) 37 09-03-2008 07:49 AM
Most reliable manufacturer mototex General Discussion (Moto Related) 32 06-19-2008 09:13 PM
Different Manufacturer Sections? mswistak14 Forum Updates & Feedback 8 07-05-2005 08:18 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #22
Tiller

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
00 TL1000R
03 RC51
81 GS1100E
05 RM125
11 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
Try being a machinist. You gotta deal with metric, standard and the metric inch. Its a clusterfuck sometimes.
Poc, all you need to know is 25.4
Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:22 PM   #23
Rael
Communist Plant

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpooch View Post
What is the big need for angled valve stems? Seems everybody about it but I don't think I have ever had an issue with valve stems
With the big front brake rotors some bikes have, it is a very cheap added convenience.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #24
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

I put angled valve stems on every one of my bikes (except the C14, which has TPMS sensors) on the first tire change.

As for the 2.9Qt... it has little to do with metric system. Engineering is optimization. If the engineers determined 2.9Qt to be the optimum amount, why spec a drop more? Do you think Ducati engineers should throw a few more ingots of aluminum on the Panigale to make it an even 400 lbs?

Anybody can build a machine that is strong enough; a good engineer builds one that is just strong enough. Proper margins of safety taken into due consideration, of course.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:00 PM   #25
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by grsa View Post
Are you saying I am not smart enough to understand? If you are your an idiot. If you were not referring to me then use more generic terms ad STFU
Lol

Your right

yeah. I thought it'd be like riding with a condescending rossi.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:01 AM   #26
The BeastMaster
AKA "Reese"

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
03 honda magna
08 honda 1000 cbr
97 Honda Magna(sold)
87 Honda TRX 250R 4wheeler(sold)
1985 Honda CR 125R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
I put angled valve stems on every one of my bikes (except the C14, which has TPMS sensors) on the first tire change.

As for the 2.9Qt... it has little to do with metric system. Engineering is optimization. If the engineers determined 2.9Qt to be the optimum amount, why spec a drop more? Do you think Ducati engineers should throw a few more ingots of aluminum on the Panigale to make it an even 400 lbs?

Anybody can build a machine that is strong enough; a good engineer builds one that is just strong enough. Proper margins of safety taken into due consideration, of course.
Finally somebody got the thread back on subject.

Interesting analysis on the subject. And I think you hit the nail on the head with your reasoning. So what your saying is (in my analysis) that it's ok to say it and add that last .1
If 2.9 is just right...........that tiny bit extra couldn't hurt. Right.

But back to your manufacturers rant......I have a Dodge Duranago. Curious thing about it is with the ignition on Accessory. I can run the windshield wipers, but the doors electric windows don't work............ Yep I can get a clear picture of the rain coming down, I just can't stop the from coming in without flipping the switch.

Now back to the metric system. As the world around us changes faster and faster...........Our government grinds ever more closer to a complete halt. Those idiots will never get the conversion complete.

Last edited by The BeastMaster; 06-17-2013 at 12:04 AM.
The BeastMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:37 AM   #27
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Now if the mfr specs it for 3.1Qts, then I think you have a valid gripe of having to buy 4 Qt bottle, just for that 0.1Qt more.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:28 AM   #28
Blanco
BORC O.G.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2013 ZX10R & 09 ZX-14
'09 R1 (homeboy shopping network donation)
'07 ZX14 (sold)
'01 FZ1 (sold)
ZRX1100 (sold)

Quote:

Yes and no on the oil.
Engineers determine the optimum amount of oil in metric units...then convert that to quarts. Often times that results in a funky measurement in quarts that is annoying for us.
it would be a much simpler world if we only sold oil in Liter bottles with only metric graduations on the bottle so if you needed 3.5L of oil......3.5 bottles of oil without the english conversion bullshit. Also motorcycle manuals would be much simplified using only metric measurements.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:11 AM   #29
Slovy
BRAWP Racing

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2003 Honda CBR 600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN600 View Post
Lol

Your right
You both read that wrong (grsa being the second)

Go back and read it again, yeah it's not worded in the best way possible but he clearly was siding with the op?
Old 06-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #30
WOOSSH

Bike(s):
'08 R1 "Money Wagon" SOLD!
ZX12 2000 7000 miles on it sold
Kawa 500 Triple 1972 NEW
BSA 250 One Lunger - 1967 NEW

The US already tried the metric system in the mid 70's. Really a mess with Chevys and Fords having mm. Kind of a "Does she or doesn't she?" Don't remember when we scratched it, did not take long.
WOOSSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #31
grsa

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpooch View Post
Rael hit the nail on the head with this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rael View Post
With the big front brake rotors some bikes have, it is a very cheap added convenience.
I guess when bike had drum brakes it didn't matter. Again this is one of those things that you have to wonder if the engineers actually ride.

Quote:
Now if the mfr specs it for 3.1Qts, then I think you have a valid gripe of having to buy 4 Qt bottle, just for that 0.1Qt more.
IF you have old triumph you need the extra, but nowadays not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco View Post
Yes and no on the oil.
Engineers determine the optimum amount of oil in metric units...then convert that to quarts. Often times that results in a funky measurement in quarts that is annoying for us.
it would be a much simpler world if we only sold oil in Liter bottles with only metric graduations on the bottle so if you needed 3.5L of oil......3.5 bottles of oil without the english conversion bullshit. Also motorcycle manuals would be much simplified using only metric measurements.
Most of the quarts do have a the metric measurement so either way we should be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slovy View Post
Go back and read it again, yeah it's not worded in the best way possible but he clearly was siding with the op?
I don't think we read that wrong but that's just me.

Last edited by grsa; 06-17-2013 at 08:47 AM.
grsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #32
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

screw measuring oil. All manufacturers should have overflow weep holes in the case to set the oil level height.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:40 AM   #33
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
I carry a metric crescent wrench and a metric vise grip.
, I need to get me these!
Old 06-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #34
grsa

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Quote:

Well I don't think the engineers took BORC into consideration so they may need to recalculate.

Having seen fork stems break when coming off a jump in a motocross race you have got to wonder if it is metal fatigue, engineering, just bad luck or the owner missed the recall notice.

YOu also have to think about engineering from the stand point of how to optimize human motion etc. Cars are manufactured for different parts of the world, why not bikes.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:18 PM   #35
green600
HG Chairperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slovy View Post

Most of the time I regret reading his post the first time. So why would I ever want to go reread them?

Old 06-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #36
Mr F.
Throbbing Member

Bike(s):
- The bike I own
- All the bikes I used to own which I still list so everyone on the forums will know how cool I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grsa View Post
your an idiot.
Mr F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #37
green600
HG Chairperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr F. View Post
your scratching you're chin

Old 06-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #38
Truckin_Thumper

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050
WR426 Blue Hooligan Motard ---once back together

Quote:
your scratching you're chin
you're
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #39
green600
HG Chairperson

no your

(no you are)

Old 06-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #40
Slovy
BRAWP Racing

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2003 Honda CBR 600rr

Quote:
no your