Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2007, 09:07 PM   #1
TxBritt08R1
Saved By Grace

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2008 R1 - Sold!
2004 R6 - Sold!
2004 FZ6 - Sold!

Send a message via MSN to TxBritt08R1
A question about Buell's

I don't know much about them except their HD powered. The more I look at them, the more I want one!

Are they worth having? I've never ridden one. How is the V-twin performance over the I-4? ( or vice versa )

Thanks,

Britt Bettell
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ
...I'm glad it's such a boring sport, what would it be like if they watched something a little more interesting, like football? they'd just spontaneously combust on the spot...
TxBritt08R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
buell get together dboi General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 11-08-2013 07:51 PM
buell help dboi How To's and Q & A's 4 09-23-2013 02:23 PM
2003 Buell XB900 question rick Performance and Modifications 6 05-21-2012 01:51 PM
no more buell Romeo36 General Discussion (Moto Related) 66 10-21-2009 09:02 AM
Buell... cedestech General Discussion (Moto Related) 57 07-02-2009 03:29 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2007, 09:15 PM   #2
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

never ridden one, but I know people who have and they say its not all its cracked up to be......remember it is a harley.....lol
you want a twin get an rc51 or a sv, and if you got the cash a duc or aprilla
Old 03-20-2007, 09:29 PM   #3
wd40oz
FlattrackManiac

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'08 Buell XB12xt 'Uly'
CRF450 Flattracker
'10 HD Super Glide (FXD)
'74 Ironhead bobber

Performance characteristics couldn't be more different. The long-stroke HD engines are torque monsters. You have to ride them differently. Power is delivered at much lower rpms. Right off the line or exiting a corner you crack the throttle and there's the power. With an R6 like yours you have to keep it much higher up the rev range which requires lots of shifting. Not so with a V-twin. It's almost like pick a gear, any gear and go. What you don't have is lots of top end. If your rides take you around the loops at 2 in the morning for 140 mph blasts the Buell probably isn't for you.

As far as handling, the Buells are rated at the top of most shootouts I've seen. So if you like carving corners, bottom-end power and a killer v-twin exhaust sound then a Buell might be right for you. Resale is a bit tough so I'd find a nice used one instead of taking the depreciation hit on new.

No doubt, they're different and a lot of sportbike guys don't like them because they're HD and HD guys don't like them because they're not cruisers so if you don't care what the people think then get one.

Personally, I dig the out of them.
wd40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:11 AM   #4
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Neat bikes, but I , personally, wouldn't take the chance on a break down. I've heard too many stories of maintenance/repair nightmares...

I like knowing that when I thumb the starter on my RC51 she's ready to rip...

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:21 AM   #5
TxBritt08R1
Saved By Grace

Bike(s):
2008 R1 - Sold!
2004 R6 - Sold!
2004 FZ6 - Sold!

Didn't know they were maintenance headaches. I had a salesman at Discount Motorcycle Tire in Pasadena tell me I was an idiot if I got one.

I too like the assurance of knowing that my R6 will start at the press of a button.

Britt
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23
...I'm glad it's such a boring sport, what would it be like if they watched something a little more interesting, like football? they'd just spontaneously combust on the spot...
Old 03-21-2007, 08:26 AM   #6
BuellRider

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2008 Buell 1125R, 1999 Custom Softail I built

Send a message via Yahoo to BuellRider
I love mine. What WD40 sez is true. While others are shifting 3-4 times, I'm passing them with one (or at least keeping up, lol). The bike is not made to run in straight lines, even tho it can. Its made for the tracks. If you plan on racing the on the tracks, then the Buell is for you. Go to Mancuso, they will let you test drive one. 10,500 is list. Go to www.Buell.com and look for news links. It will show you the top 100 cornering bikes a magazine did last year.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:28 AM   #7
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

great bikes for slow tracks. 5 speed and 6500 rpm redline makes for low top end. I'd like one just for the noise, just too small for me.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:13 AM   #8
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575
just too small for me.
Yep, you'd probably look like this...:icon_bigg

monkey humpin football

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:41 AM   #9
Homebrew
AkA Rubbersidedown

Feedback Rating: (25)

Bike(s):
gsxr 600
custom pocket rocket

i rode a 2003 xb-12 firebolt...torque was amasing....sounds cool as $hit

but in the end it was that high rpm whine that makes my blood boil.....

go for it....2wheels are 2 wheels
Old 03-22-2007, 09:17 AM   #10
Greenway Smokey
Super duper member!

Bike(s):
'04 1200XL

Send a message via AIM to Greenway Smokey
why do people think because it's an HD it will break down. Have y'all ever heard of me complaining about my bike not starting or asking where i can go to get it worked on?

Since i've had the bike the only money put into maintenance is for oil changes, and a new battery. I've had the bike for 3 years.

The buells have the same motor i have, but with about 30 more hp added one. it's real popular for sportster guys to buy buell parts for their bike.

you can rent one at Mancuso if you really wanted to try it out.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:23 AM   #11
maskale

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2005 CBR600RR Trackbike
2007 Warrior Midnight

Dont know anything about the buell. I am new to the V-twin though with my cruiser. It does take some getting use to, it is very different. Power is right off idle, lots of it.
maskale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:42 AM   #12
indoMLA
If it's free, it's for me

Bike(s):
'02 Yamaha R6 - SOLD

I rode the Bolt and the Lightening... both are nice bikes... like others have said the bike is not made for straights, but for the corners... the bike is light and I had fun on it... I think they are amazingly engineered bikes... fuel in the frame, oil in the swingarm, etc... the 1 rotor front brake kinda scares me, but I was surprised.... I think they are a little too loud for my taste, but I had fun riding it... they really do own the corners... the bikes are small, but that is good thing.... you will be able to keep up with a bike up around 75-85mph, after that the bikes are gone and your stuck trying to keep up and then searching for that elusive 6th gear....

I got turned off by then b/c i had a few buddies that have them and the bikes always seem to be in the shop (they will put you in the poor house quick due to maintenance costs)... hopefully that will change as they bike becomes more popular.... I have been told that these bikes would make the perfect stunt bikes, but i haven't seen anybody stunt them.... I know one guy that wheelied it, but the balance point was hard to find...

To each his own, for the price and the money, I think the Ulyesses is the best, but style, looks, and riding enjoyment, it will be the Lightening...
indoMLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:23 AM   #13
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

My experience has not been with the model you are most likely considering, but here's what I've seen 1st hand. A girl I know has a Buell Blast - I know it's the absolute bottom of the line buell, but it is a Buell. It had been parked (indoors) for several months. She wanted it running so I could teach her to ride on it. Long story short - a new battery and a few other parts (parts were actually very inexpensive) it was up and running. This is my opinion - you asked for it - you buell jocks can flame away: The bike is a total piece of . It reminds me of one of the $300 china built pocket bikes you see for sale on the side of the road. The bike is fun to play on and it is great to teach someone to ride on. If you run it hard it pukes oil from everywhere - the plastic on it is cheaply built, and doesn't fit particularly well - the tank cap is hard to open and close - looks like it's made of pot metal - everything vibrates loose if not locktight bathed - many of the parts are made across the pond (not in Japan - don't quote me but like in Indonesia or Malaysia - they say so right on them) - it's the only bike at our place that has to have an absorbent mat under it at all times to contain the mess. In fairness to the Buell - the Blast is the absolute bottom of their line as far as I know, and it does do well for not much $$ as a training only bike - as far as getting on one and heading out of town - better have your AAA card and money for a bus to get home.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:59 PM   #14
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Don't get one. You'll regret it.

--I'm really sorry to be bashing bikes that I know some folks on here ride -- and ordinarily I hate the "kawasucki vs suzuki sucks" debates, but..........

Don't get a Buell, you'll be diasappointed.

Go ride an SV 1000 and then ride and XB-12r and then come back and post what you think.

Better yet, buy one of each, ride them equally over a 12 month period, then come back and tell us what you think. (and spent on maintenance)

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:00 PM   #15
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar
My experience has not been with the model you are most likely considering, but here's what I've seen 1st hand. A girl I know has a Buell Blast - I know it's the absolute bottom of the line buell, but it is a Buell. It had been parked (indoors) for several months. She wanted it running so I could teach her to ride on it. Long story short - a new battery and a few other parts (parts were actually very inexpensive) it was up and running. This is my opinion - you asked for it - you buell jocks can flame away: The bike is a total piece of . It reminds me of one of the $300 china built pocket bikes you see for sale on the side of the road. The bike is fun to play on and it is great to teach someone to ride on. If you run it hard it pukes oil from everywhere - the plastic on it is cheaply built, and doesn't fit particularly well - the tank cap is hard to open and close - looks like it's made of pot metal - everything vibrates loose if not locktight bathed - many of the parts are made across the pond (not in Japan - don't quote me but like in Indonesia or Malaysia - they say so right on them) - it's the only bike at our place that has to have an absorbent mat under it at all times to contain the mess. In fairness to the Buell - the Blast is the absolute bottom of their line as far as I know, and it does do well for not much $$ as a training only bike - as far as getting on one and heading out of town - better have your AAA card and money for a bus to get home.

+1 ^
I didn't even read this before I replied

Old 03-22-2007, 02:08 PM   #16
issanni
assfault

Send a message via MSN to issanni Send a message via Yahoo to issanni
only thing I've heard is that there is quite a bit of vibration felt from the engine, similar to a harley......unlike on an Italian v-twin.....

I looked at Buell several times and just figured, if I was going to buy a sportbike it's going to be Italian or Japanese....
Old 03-22-2007, 02:17 PM   #17
Gixxer Geezer
All day long I'm shufflin

Bike(s):
06 honda vtx 1300
06 Busa limited. sold
2 Gixxer 600. sold
85 Honda Hurricane. sold
56 Triumph, 64 BSA, Thunderbolt, 66 BSA Lightning Bolt, 64 Honda Scrambler. all sold

Wise man once said "If they give it to you take it", "If you have to buy it, forget it".....

What part of "I Don't Care", Don't you Understand?
Gixxer Geezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:25 PM   #18
nihaikitty
Squidette

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
'04 EX500
'08 SV650

first off, i dont trust domestic-made transportation anymore unless its a truck...
i rode buells in my MSF, which really isnt saying much because first time riders were beating them up, but ive also ridden hondas and yamahas since then that have been given pretty much the same abuse and theyve held up MUCH better than any buell ive ever taken out in a lot. buells are high maintanence, their transmissions are loud and clunky, they shift like , and i couldnt reach the turn signals and horn unless i took my hand completely off of the clutch...which can be pretty inconvenient if youre riding around in slow traffic.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:00 PM   #19
TxBritt08R1
Saved By Grace

Bike(s):
2008 R1 - Sold!
2004 R6 - Sold!
2004 FZ6 - Sold!

Well,

I guess that answers that, I'll stick with what I've got. Good discussion, thanks!

Britt
Old 03-22-2007, 03:33 PM   #20
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBritt04R6
Well,

I guess that answers that, I'll stick with what I've got. Good discussion, thanks!

Britt
I just saw that you ride an R6.

My good friend just sold his Buell M2 Cyclone and got an 06 R6. He says that he didn't even know what sport riding was before he got his bike. When we started out, i was riding a Kawasaki 600E and he was on the Cyclone. I'd always stomp him in straight line acceleration, but he'd always claim, "Man! You're bike might be faster, but I got all the torque!"

Now on his R6 he claims that his old Buell was much weaker in comparison.

(I know somebody can pull out a dyno sheet and show that the 1200cc Buell has alot more torque than his new R6, but what's the use if the party stops at like 4400 RPM)

Advertisement