Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2007, 09:01 AM   #21
Gixxer Geezer
All day long I'm shufflin

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
06 honda vtx 1300
06 Busa limited. sold
2 Gixxer 600. sold
85 Honda Hurricane. sold
56 Triumph, 64 BSA, Thunderbolt, 66 BSA Lightning Bolt, 64 Honda Scrambler. all sold

I always wear my lid.... I fell off my motorcycle sitting on it in the front yard. didnt have my helmet on... now i never get on the bike with out the helmet.

What part of "I Don't Care", Don't you Understand?
Gixxer Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
texas track days*ride smart*lone star track days DC_The_Boss Taking it to the Track 57 03-19-2009 10:26 PM
Squids! BadApple Off Topic 14 01-09-2009 10:46 AM
SQUIDS! atizzle Off Topic 13 06-01-2007 08:37 AM
Magazine for squids by squids? jrock General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 08-23-2006 08:52 AM
Look at all these squids together Marcu$Brooks Off Topic 12 07-10-2006 04:50 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-21-2007, 09:03 AM   #22
gixxerbill

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmpastx

Personally, I think that they should pass a law stating that medical treatment will not be performed on individuals that choose to not wear a seatbelt or a helmet.
I totally disagree. So they shouldn't work on somebody's leg that was smashed by a car if they don't have a helmet on? Sheesh. Come on man. What do you care if they are wearing their lids or not. Personally, I think there is TOO many laws & we don't need more. Lids should be optional. I normally wear mine but sometimes I don't want to if it is REAL hot or it is just a pretty day and I don't want to. (this is on my chopper not my gixxer). I always wear my helmet on my gixxer. I think the law is fine if you have insurance you can choose to wear a lid or not.
gixxerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:26 AM   #23
ysr612

Bike(s):
Transalp, DRZ, Hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre3k
I was just forwarded a copy of a gov study that concludes

1) motorcycle helmets have no statistically significant effect on the probability of fatality

(2) helmets reduce the severity of head injuries; and

(3) past a critical impact speed [13 MPH], helmets increase the severity of neck injuries.

http://www.accidentreconstruction.co...Helmet_Use.pdf

Not groundbreaking news by any means but once you get past the stats lesson, it was a good read.
did you post that as a joke??
the study is a classic of miss use of data. The data was not collected for the type of study shown the author did a statistical fishing trip in a data pool. there is a great sae study done in Ca in the 90's shows very different effects however it was just 200+ er visits (I will try to find it my son brought it home from a call for papers).

helmets have come a bit since the late 70's where the data in the Hurts study was generated however not that much.

edit from the above I am sure you can see I also hate meta studies. They only point at where a good study should be done. The courts love them as you can get them to say anything.

Last edited by ysr612; 03-21-2007 at 09:34 AM.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:25 AM   #24
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

I have mixed emotions as to whether or not the law should be involved - wouldn't have anything to do with me wearing a helmet - I wouldn't dream of riding anything without one - street/track/etc. I had a recent get-off many of you are familiar with @ msr-hou, I definitely was over the majic 13 mph speed - T7 best estimates over 130mph perhaps as high as 140 - neck ok/head ok. Good friend of mine - Gixxerbill T7 TWS (Texas World Speedway) @ about 100 mph - neck ok/head ok (as ok as ever) gsxr frame JUNK. Here's a link to a steet crash which happened to another good friend of mine - he is an exceptionally good rider CMRA racer for about 30 years - some very small/impossible to see gravel - compliments of the state of Texas bit him - about 60mph - neck ok/head ok. http://www.ccaronline.com/video/crash.wmv All three crashes were different guys/different bikes/different circumstances, these aren't something I dug up off the net - these all involved people in a small circle of friends - we all know each other - this is real! The common denominator is were all wearing full face helmets, all helmets were damaged and replaced with new lids, and none of us had neck or head injuries.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:44 AM   #25
Sassy Chassis
Not a value-added poster

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati Monster 821

Quote:
Personally, I think that they should pass a law stating that medical treatment will not be performed on individuals that choose to not wear a seatbelt or a helmet.
I'm sure that would violate some part of the Hippocratic Oath...
Old 03-21-2007, 12:05 PM   #26
OJgsxr

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2002 GSXR 750
2008 GSXR 600

Send a message via AIM to OJgsxr
There should definitely be a helmet law period. Not only because its just the smart thing to do but people who don't wear seat belts and helmets make it more expensive for all of us. Insurance has to shell out more money and I guarantee they are not going to take the hit, they are just going to raise the premiums across the board and hit all of us with the bill. I hate knowing that I am paying out the nose for insurance because some idiot wants the "freedom" of getting his head cracked open if he wants to.

Maybe if you make people sign insurance wavers saying any head injuries that happened while riding without a helmet are not covered by insurance then I can see allowing people to ride without helmets.
OJgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:27 PM   #27
upononer6

Bike(s):
2004 yamaha r6
2000 Honda XR50

Quote:
Originally Posted by therky42
totally agree
thats the most retarded thing i have ever heard... no offense... but honestly think about it... what if someone you loved didnt wear a helmet ort seatbelt er somethin??? what would you say... "oh its cool doctor he/she was a dumbass anyways let them bleed... i wear a helmet everywhere i go on the bike... but the accident i was in i wasnt wearing a seatbelt because we were pretty much stayin in the neighborhoods... thats what saved my life... so i think the bill should be that you have to wear a helmet... the concrete is harder than your face...
upononer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:56 PM   #28
zero_cool

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmpastx
+1
if their too cool to wear helmets then they're far too cool to be treated by some jacka$$ with a Phd.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:38 PM   #29
BLiP

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years

Ok anybody that says helmets dont help your wrong when I looped my 900RR last may if it was not for my helmet my brains would have been spread out across 59 pic of said Shoei helmet it is full of hairline cracks. All I got was a MAJOR concussion and a sore neck. A jacket saved my hide. But I never get on a bike without a helmet and anybody that says they dont need one I show that helmet and say how well would your head fair against the ground.

Last edited by BLiP; 10-16-2013 at 10:29 PM.
BLiP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:18 PM   #30
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

I can't believe how many people think there should be a helmet law. I mean it should be up to the person not the dang govt. We need to stop giving the govt so much power. Maybe next they will say that litre bikes are a big cause of accidents so they will outlaw those to keep us all safe and our insurance premiums down. Ya'll need to think this through this is the land of the free not the land of more self imposed laws of personal freedom.

Or how about fast food is a huge contributor to heart attacks which cost the insurance companies bookoos of money maybe we should outlaw that too.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:42 PM   #31
t.dubya
Senor Member

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
k7 gsxr 600 (now dead)

Remember studies have shown that eating bacon and chedder potatoe wedges have been shown to increase athletic performance

For every study that says one thing there is another study saying the exact opposite.

IMHO helmets are good! I was wearing a helmet that was too large when I wrecked and it saved my life, no doubt about it. I think of my head as a glass beer bottle, pretty hard till it hits concrete!
t.dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:43 PM   #32
mekrew
naaaaaw i sayin

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to mekrew
about time .....

everyone needs to rock a lid no matter what , so now they will have to pay one way or another , life or cash
mekrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:08 PM   #33
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekrew
about time .....

everyone needs to rock a lid no matter what , so now they will have to pay one way or another , life or cash
Just curious is that you in you avatar? You look pretty helmetless to me.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:09 PM   #34
Slowkat
Nutty Buddy

Send a message via AIM to Slowkat
Not sure what those statistics are all about but I can't count the number of lives, including my own that were saved by wearing a helmet.....

I highly suggest one but by no means want the gov telling me what I have to wear when I ride. If people don't want to wear one...that's on them. No need to deny medical attention...That's f*cking retarted. Imagine yourself as a family memeber of someone that crashed without a helmet and the Doc's like "Sorry, I won't work on him because he wasn't wearing a helmet...I have OverDosing Crack addicts that Need my help"
Old 03-21-2007, 03:28 PM   #35
mekrew
naaaaaw i sayin

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill
Just curious is that you in you avatar? You look pretty helmetless to me.
ya thats me .. i am helmetless in that pic , but i do rock a lid now a days

plus i always rock a lid on the big bike not that big or little bike matters ... ask clayton
Old 03-21-2007, 03:37 PM   #36
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekrew
ya thats me .. i am helmetless in that pic , but i do rock a lid now a days

plus i always rock a lid on the big bike not that big or little bike matters ... ask clayton
Exactly seems like when you stunt'n you should definetely wear a lid no matter how big the bike.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:44 PM   #37
mekrew
naaaaaw i sayin

Member Garage

to me it just feels strange going 45+ on a bike w/o a lid ... i trust myself but still i think of the worst

i dont get how people can go 80+ weaving through traffic with sun glasses
Old 03-21-2007, 03:45 PM   #38
zero_cool

Member Garage

jar=lid
head=helmet
Old 03-21-2007, 09:03 PM   #39
andre3k
I see dead people...

Feedback Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr612
did you post that as a joke??
the study is a classic of miss use of data. The data was not collected for the type of study shown the author did a statistical fishing trip in a data pool. there is a great sae study done in Ca in the 90's shows very different effects however it was just 200+ er visits (I will try to find it my son brought it home from a call for papers).

helmets have come a bit since the late 70's where the data in the Hurts study was generated however not that much.

edit from the above I am sure you can see I also hate meta studies. They only point at where a good study should be done. The courts love them as you can get them to say anything.
Umm did you even bother to read the data contained in the study?

200 emergency room visits isn't enough data to make a correlation with the riding public as a whole. An ideal study would have data from thousands of incidents over a period of ten years or more. Funding for transportation research is hard to get and grants are usually reviewed yearly. Try funding a research program that takes 10 years only to gather data. Thats not including the time to analyze the data, interpret it, and publish the results. Hence a faculty member at some school will get a one or two year grant and publish a paper and present it at a conference just so that he / she can keep their tenure.

I believe that hemets have a place and serve a purpose. They alone are not an end all be all to reduce motorcycle fatalities. I remember my first motorycle wreck as a rookie officer that was on gulf bank. The rider struck a curb and hit a light pole.

His body parts created a debris field 45 yards long. I remember because I had to place paper cups in the roadway to mark his entrails for the medical examiner and accident investigator to pick up as they completed their investigation. NO helmet could have kept that kids body intact. Helmets work but until a certain point, just like seat belts.

People forget that driving is a privilege and not a right. Thats why DL's are issued after completing a course and not issued at birth. Most people like to think that driving on public roadways is their given right, but it aint so.
IMO If you don't want to wear a helmet thats cool. But if you are found at fault in an accident on a bike w/o wearing a helmet then that driving privilege can be taken away from you. Much like refusing to blow on a DWI case.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:21 PM   #40
zero_cool

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre3k
Umm did you even bother to read the data contained in the study?

200 emergency room visits isn't enough data to make a correlation with the riding public as a whole. An ideal study would have data from thousands of incidents over a period of ten years or more. Funding for transportation research is hard to get and grants are usually reviewed yearly. Try funding a research program that takes 10 years only to gather data. Thats not including the time to analyze the data, interpret it, and publish the results. Hence a faculty member at some school will get a one or two year grant and publish a paper and present it at a conference just so that he / she can keep their tenure.

I believe that hemets have a place and serve a purpose. They alone are not an end all be all to reduce motorcycle fatalities. I remember my first motorycle wreck as a rookie officer that was on gulf bank. The rider struck a curb and hit a light pole.

His body parts created a debris field 45 yards long. I remember because I had to place paper cups in the roadway to mark his entrails for the medical examiner and accident investigator to pick up as they completed their investigation. NO helmet could have kept that kids body intact. Helmets work but until a certain point, just like seat belts.

People forget that driving is a privilege and not a right. Thats why DL's are issued after completing a course and not issued at birth. Most people like to think that driving on public roadways is their given right, but it aint so.
IMO If you don't want to wear a helmet thats cool. But if you are found at fault in an accident on a bike w/o wearing a helmet then that driving privilege can be taken away from you. Much like refusing to blow on a DWI case.
d@mn thats a lot to read! care to summarize? i sent it to cliffnotes.com and they rejected it.:laughing6

Advertisement