MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
ZX-Dominance

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1 (wifey)
2007 ZX-6R (track)
2008 Speed Triple White Knight (sold)
2008 CBR1000RR "Red Rocket"
2005 SV1000S (sold)

Hot-wiring a bike... in an honest way

I'm working on a "stand alone" setup for testing a couples motors I am building. I have:

motors
throttle bodies
airbox
gas tank
battery
wiring harness
rectifier
starter relay
ECU
starter switch and controls
radiator and hoses..

basically everything needed to run the bike.. except the ignition!

Anyone familiar/knowledgeable on ignition wire splicing? No questions asked... I'd just rather not have to buy more (expensive) parts
ZX-Dominance is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So why won't this bike sell? I want YOUR HONEST cut! Track_Graphics General Discussion (Moto Related) 167 10-22-2014 12:30 PM
Race Wiring a Bike for CMRA THE DEAN OF LEAN Taking it to the Track 53 11-21-2008 03:07 PM
Safety Wiring my Bike hotsauce General Discussion (Moto Related) 66 10-15-2008 08:32 PM
Hot Tub Wiring??? JoeRocket Off Topic 21 09-18-2006 09:48 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

Google it.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Get a wiring diagram. I've got no key on my bike, but it's probably harder to figure out how to start it now than when it had a key.

It's usually fairly straight forward. The main cable attached to the battery usually has a branch going three places: main fuse, voltage regulator, and starter relay. From the main fuse it will either go through the keyed ignition or to a primary relay that is controlled by the key and kill switch. Either way, this will be your switched power source for all the +12V on the harness. Some bikes also have a constant +12V circuit but that's usually a smaller gauge wire attached at the battery going straight to the fuse box.

For example, here is an overly simplified wiring diagram I drew up for a buddy's bobber. Note no kill switch, no starter (kick only), only the key.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xs wiring.PNG
Views:	43
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	69173  

Last edited by Jae; 06-06-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
ZX-Dominance

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1 (wifey)
2007 ZX-6R (track)
2008 Speed Triple White Knight (sold)
2008 CBR1000RR "Red Rocket"
2005 SV1000S (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
Get a wiring diagram. I've got no key on my bike, but it's probably harder to figure out how to start it now than when it had a key.

It's usually fairly straight forward. The main cable attached to the battery usually has a branch going three places: main fuse, voltage regulator, and starter relay. From the main fuse it will either go through the keyed ignition or to a primary relay that is controlled by the key and kill switch. Either way, this will be your switched power source for all the +12V on the harness. Some bikes also have a constant +12V circuit but that's usually a smaller gauge wire attached at the battery going straight to the fuse box.

For example, here is an overly simplified wiring diagram I drew up for a buddy's bobber. Note no kill switch, no starter (kick only), only the key.
awesome, thanks for the simple explanation
ZX-Dominance is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement