MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #81
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

chris only uses the rear brake on his fifty because everything is already compressed.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What tires do you think are the best for street riding?? Stryker Performance and Modifications 49 01-31-2012 05:19 PM
Street riding...? chase General Discussion (Moto Related) 84 04-17-2009 01:12 PM
riding finally!! jrob Events, Meets and Rides 2 04-02-2009 11:05 PM
The mantras of street riding speedismo General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 08-22-2006 10:46 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #82
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
chris only uses the rear brake on his fifty because everything is already compressed.
no he didnt
Old 06-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #83
monstermanus

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
ducati monster (sold )
Ducati streetfighter

Send a message via AIM to monstermanus Send a message via Yahoo to monstermanus
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umayr View Post
Cool, maybe you two could go ride with each other. One thing im really going to disagree with is using the rear brake. do not use it at all. stick with using the front brake ONLY. Its not going to help you stop much quicker, get good at emergency braking with the front brake only. Oh and for the lane change, counter steering helps, check out a video on it maybe. practice that.. it'll help you later on as well so if you have to dodge some debris or something.
im going to agree to diagree with you. front brake yes and rear brake usage yes. if used prperly it could be an asset. if on track and you go off rear brake a must. on street in my opinion only my opinion I used rear brake sometimes it is what works for me....
cheers man!!!
monstermanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #84
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermanus View Post
im going to agree to diagree with you. front brake yes and rear brake usage yes. if used prperly it could be an asset. if on track and you go off rear brake a must. on street in my opinion only my opinion I used rear brake sometimes it is what works for me....
cheers man!!!
if i am scared enough, i will use both brakes AND drag my left foot.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #85
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesto1000 View Post

On the very first day riding on the street, when coming to a stop light I almost freaked out lightly hit the front break and smashed on the rear break. The rear tire screeched to a halt and luckily I didn't fall or anything, but from that moment on I learned how to gauge when to hit the brakes or engine break or cruise to a stop by holding the clutch in.

Just wanted to share this with you guys...
He locks up his rear, the other new rider that posted in the thread said he locked up his rear when he was emergency braking. I have locked up my rear before when I first started riding, I know a few other guys that have locked up their rear as well when they first started riding. The reason i dont think he should be using the rear right now is because he needs to learn to use the front properly and understand where thats where most of the braking power comes from. Especially on sportbikes, after he learns that for sure start adding in the rear brake, but right now if he went out on his bike and he had to use brake hard in a emergency he would end up locking up the rear tire again guarantee it. Thats why i think he should stick to using the front for now

If you know how to use the rear brake then use it, yes it will help you stop a few feet earlier but its going to take seat time for him to learn the front brake first.

I also agree for sure there are other reasons where you can use the rear brake, like if you go off the road/track.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #86
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
if i am scared enough, i will use both brakes AND drag my left foot.
This you?

http://www.caradvice.com.au/133461/t...dumbest-video/
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #87
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
hahah "serious lack of common sense"
Old 06-11-2013, 11:41 PM   #88
Nesto1000
Mr. Noob

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
2000 Suzuki GSX-R600 (Sold)
2012 Ninja 250r

Well I've been super busy with work, school, and life in general. I've read through every post and have come to the conclusion that I'll trust my MSF instructor. There may be more "right" or "efficient" ways of doing things, but the MSF course has been proven to work and that's how I learned.

My route to school/work is literally all straight with very little traffic so I am fine in that regard. I just see the occasional vehicle in the morning. Mostly at intersections though. Most of the time I am on my own in the two lane road.

I feel pretty comfortable with turning except on my home street for some reason. As I said before I'm even afraid of turning on that street in my truck. Since those experiences that I've written about, I haven't locked up my rear break anymore, I use both brakes while lightly tapping on the rear and slowly pulling in the front. Either way I haven't had anymore brake problems, but I do tend to slow down too early though, but I feel like I've almost got it to where I don't slow down too early. It's different when gauging the distance of a car in front of you when on a motorcycle. At leat to me it is. Either way it's better to slow down too early than too late in my book. Its those abrupt changes in velocity of a bike that's dangerous.

One thing that stood out to me that two other members exchanged comments over was coasting (with clutch pulled in) to a stop when getting to a stop or red light. Someone else said that it's better to just shift down gradually just in case SHTF. I I'm going to incorporate that into my driving now. Better to make good habits than break bad ones. Don't remember who mentioned it, but it seems like pretty legit advice.

Anyways thanks for the info and lively debate that went on in here. I got in contact with a few MH members on here that I'll probably ride with soon enough.

Also sorry for the crappy paragraphs, I'm writing this from my phone.
Nesto1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:45 PM   #89
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

k
Old 06-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #90
tustah

Bike(s):
2008 GSX-R750

Just go to an empty lot and practice your braking. I'm fairly new to riding as well, but spent a lot of time in the parking lot. What I do is mark a beginning point for you to brake, then start at 30 mph and see how quick you can brake. Do it over and over again, and you'll know how much pressure to use on your front/rear to brake better each time. Once I felt confortable, I increased my speed by 10 mph and continued on.

I'm glad I did this, because I had to hard brake the other day when a truck decided to pull a last minute left turn. Muscle memory is an amazing thing.

As far as coming to a stop at a red light, you have to anticipate these things ahead of time. If the light just turned red, I would shift down to first and ride the clutch until there is a car stopped behind me. If the light has been red, ride on 2nd gear or higher - all depends on how fast you are going in case the light turns green.

Go practice your turns and braking. It'll become second nature.
tustah is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement