MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #41
Candace
KweenB

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Kawi ZX6R x2 (1 track/1 street)
09 Kawi ZX6R (RIP)
09 Kawi 250R SE (sold)
2008 Kawi ZZR 600 (sold)
2008 Kawi Ninja 500R (sold)

I, for one, am exhausted. Worked the entire weekend, and did not ride (by choice...mostly). I had a spot for Saturday, that I sold a few weeks ago. Dave had offered some laps toward the end of each day, which I appreciated. However, being that I have never laid eyes on that track, I didn't feel comfortable jumping in at the end, when everyone had already learned the lines and were hauling around. I would have definitely been a speed bump, and with the calls I heard all day from the COTA CW's/Race Control, I would have been talked about. LOL! Not to mention, after spending the entire day out in the sun as TM, I was not feeling putting on black leathers and, yeah. No thanks. I was already wasted. Haha! Sunday, was thinking about doing a RR session, just for the lines, so I could ride later in the day and feel more comfortable, but b/c I was also managing the Ride Smart CW's, and pit/gate/grand stand marshals, I was busy and didn't have time to get the bike prepped and me geared up, without it being rushed; and I don't like riding when my head isn't in the game. So I passed...again. :/ In hindsight, I wish I would have ridden, b/c at the end of the day, I was actually geared up and ready to go out anyway, when the Race Control shut the last few sessions down, due to the oil spill. Oh well.

As for the event as a whole, from a TM perspective....things were really quite smooth, and not much time was lost on either day. I had countless people come up to me with thanks for a great time, kudos to the Ride Smart staff for pulling off such a great weekend, "can't wait for the next time" type stuff. I also had numerous COTA staff introduce themselves, and say they were extremely impressed with the event, the staff, the organization, and the progress of the riders on-track. That's when you know the time and efforts put in by those both behind the scenes, as well as those in the spotlight, have really paid off. I am really impressed with how everyone worked together (staff, CW's, PM's, Gate Marshals, AND participants) to make this all happen almost flawlessly when it counted. Thanks to everyone to help make this weekend a huge success!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
COTA Neon Samurai General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 03-07-2014 12:08 PM
BRAWP!BRAWP!BRAWP!..BRAWP BRAWP BRRRRAPPPPP....AT COTA!COTA!COTA!!!! Rykoson Taking it to the Track 14 08-01-2013 10:30 PM
COTA!!! COTA!!! COTA!!!! Rykoson Events, Meets and Rides 21 06-02-2013 11:48 PM
COTA dinosaur General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 04-17-2013 09:11 AM
COTA Yorke Taking it to the Track 2 06-08-2012 05:30 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #42
speedoeffect

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 cbr1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by myla296 View Post
OMG, Greg is on here! Hi!
speedoeffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #43
x-ray
CMRA #228

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Super Adventure
2007 SV650S (My track toy)
07 CRF230F
2006 VFR800a (sold - covered a lot of miles)
04 Honda 599 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
4. Braking confidence is a necessity. Coming into Turn 12 I was braking on Bluepine's well sorted CBR600 from topped out in 6th at 155 or so down to 2nd gear at 40 MPH starting at about the 200 yard marker on the back straight. Some lvl 2 students had completely slowed and completed their braking by the 200 yard marker and were setting up for the tight left hand T12 at 150 yards. I saw a speed differential of maybe 100 MPH at that point for the confident braking lvl2 bikes versus the newbs. And everyone was trying to ride the race line.
I probably made more passes there than anywhere. I could see 130mph right at the 300 yard marker, 132 if I kept it pinned until 200 but that usually put me deep into slower bikes that had just recently out dragged me down the straight. So I started backing off around 300 just to avoid too much overtake and spooking somebody. I will say that as far as the race line goes, this was maybe the best level 2 day I've ever seen. Everybody was doing a great job once they sorted out the track.

Quote:
5. The left right sweeper section between T5 and T10, where no passing is allowed, is reminiscent of the keyhole and bus stop at MSRH. If you are new to the track, you will get confused, and accelerate hard onto the mini straight (just after T7), thinking it is the longer next straight (after T9). I saw evidence and first hand tales of run offs in this area due to confusion. Otherwise, the sweepers T3,4,5 are faaaast, hard to read, and reward a late apex style very reminiscent of GSS's left right sweeper straight. Not for the timid, but for those on the attack, very rewarding.
Easily my favorite part of the track. After getting the feel for them, being aggressive in that section actually made them flow smoother. Best section of the track for the SV650. I'd like to run that section over and over.

Quote:
8. Flagging...hard to see the little flags popping out of the archer windows on the castle walls. They need warning lights or much bigger flags. In Texas whereweezall normally ride (haha), we are used to corner workers running to the edge of the track, nearly, to alert us. I'm sure a black flag or two was missed....
VERY true. When the bike went down in turn 12, I saw the down bike and riders waving first. Didn't see the red flag until I was right on top of it.

Nice writeup sir. Very good details on the observations.
07 Suzuki SV650s - CMRA #228
x-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #44
x-ray
CMRA #228

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Super Adventure
2007 SV650S (My track toy)
07 CRF230F
2006 VFR800a (sold - covered a lot of miles)
04 Honda 599 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by myla296 View Post
Hi! I was the girl of the garage, Rod was the tall guy (my boyfriend), Bruce/Tiller was right behind Rod - across the bathroom door, Dave (he's probably on here, I don't know..really just met him at TWS (Texas World Speedway) the last couple of times more recently) !
Awesome. I was guessing that was Tiller as his profile listed a TL1000 and his was the only one I saw.

It was great to meet everybody. Lots of friendly people and smiling faces.
07 Suzuki SV650s - CMRA #228
x-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #45
rz500guy

Bike(s):
Yamaha RZ 500
Suzuki 1200 BanditS
RD 350
1990 Yamaha FZR 400

I am still envious of everyone. Did not know you went out Myla. Rod also? Sounds like you had fun. By the way thanks for the short vid. The track was beautiful. I looked at tires and they were all wearing smooth due to track surface I guess. Went up for one of the rider meeting and talked with one rider that thought his knee pucks fell off and realized that the surface was just so smooth. Let us hope the track is not privatized. How many crashes over the weekend and how many were on each day. Did the track get slick on Sunday after the rain, and if so how long till it came back. Thought they might be stringent on passing. The video with Kris on my RZ had him pass a guy near the end of the video and gave him this look like where did you come from or what are you doing here. If the person sees it chime in. The video was shot about 2;30 Saturday and I think Kris was in level 2a. Not quite sure.
rz500guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #46
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Ryan, Nice control room insight, lol. I like your vids, always. When are you going full time into video production?

Last edited by Mr.P; 06-03-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Mr.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #47
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

My biggest take away from the weekend is that as much as I like to think I am in control of myself and my emotions, the opportunity to ride a track like COTA breaks the rules. It turns you into a little kid with less fear of injury or death, reckless abandon to the schoolyard rules, the desire to eat ALL the chocolate ALL AT ONCE.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #48
maxgs

Member Garage

Very sorry to have missed this one but was on business travel again; sounds like a great venue and a great time had by most.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #49
cyon

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2009 ZX6R
2008 TTR125

Quote:
Ryan, Nice control room insight, lol. I like your vids, always. When are you going full time into video production?
+1 on this. I'd like to see what he can do if he had a real suite of tools to use. I believe he said he was using something basic to edit, which surprised me.

Here's a video of me being chased on Sunday Lvl2B:
CMRA Racer #736
www.RideSmart.info
cyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #50
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyon View Post
+1 on this. I'd like to see what he can do if he had a real suite of tools to use. I believe he said he was using something basic to edit, which surprised me.

Here's a video of me being chased on Sunday Lvl2B:
at the commentary box at 1:20

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #51
ormand
Deelish!

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000

I normally avoid larger schools like RideSmart because of the varied levels of skills and the rushed, over-efficient operations involved in running such a large trackday event. The last RideSmart event I did was in 2011 MSRH, where we (Level 2) sat in hot pit lane for 30 minutes in black leathers/bike running for nearly 30 minutes only to be told to return back to the paddock because of a lifelight crash at the sweeper (ducati 1198 in L3). We lost about 50% of tracktime all around because of accidents.

I was VERY IMPRESSED with both CotA and RideSmart in this event - Sunday L2B...

Ready to drive to Austin Saturday afternoon

976825 4823200380640 10565930 o

with some inbetween deelish

703631 4823520708648 1515903976 o

Buc-Cees in Bastop TX

980732 4824150604395 919871591 o

I spent the night at a hotel near downtown but couldn't sleep. I always have this issue right before a trackday and it is only worse when I am not in my own bed. I only got about 3 hours of sleep, only to wake up to a wet Sunday

967201 4826370859900 351891211 o

CoTA yumz - $10

966823 4827692972952 1175810289 o

Packed and ready to return home...

979815 4828966684794 852650297 o

When I got home Sunday night, I was soo beat, I just bought some Epsom salt and a pizza, took a hot bath/shower and ate a little and went straight to sleep for 10 hours. I didn't even unpack anything.

Anyway, back to CotA/Ride Smart. It was more than organized with easy access/understanding of where and what to do before the event. Classrooms were very nice with air conditioning (although it could be turned up or add a fan in the room) and lots of ice cold water. Walking upstairs for a classroom is a little rough after a few sessions but it's balanced with easy access to several bathrooms and fast access back to the paddock.

The track is super smooth and constantly technical. By the end of the day, I don't remember where is what turn after about T10 lol. Each turn has a purpose and a flow which is -like in design As said in the classrooms, the videos online (motoGP and otherwise) do not do the track justice. 90% of the turns are blind (at least to me) so you better be sure to be in a right state of mind lol. I blew so many turns all day, even at the end of the day when I should have been soo familiar with the track. The track is soo huge too...several times near the end of the day, about 1/3 of the way into the track, I wanted to pit in (cramped legs) but couldn't because pit entrance was soo far away. Definitely a serious track. I would consider myself a borderline L2/L3 rider but COTA made me feel like an L1 all day long! lol

Was it worth the price? YES
Was it worth the wait? YES
Would I do it again? YES

As someone else said, I would trade in 3 MSRH/TWS (Texas World Speedway) trackdays for 1 COTA. I wouldn't say it has "ruined" MSRH or TWS (Texas World Speedway) for me though. But then again, the bumps aren't as noticeable to me on my plush-riding bike lol
Old 06-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #52
cdill35

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyon View Post
Man that is funny, Rofl!! You've been an instructor and don't know the passing rules? Did you listen to the rules? Attend riders meting? Go to class? You were acting like an hat in Level 2 passing under red flags, passing in the S's and all out being a hole. Saw this with my own eyes. I don't care who you are or how fast you are. You were completely inconsiderate of your fellow riders. You were creating an unsafe environment and you were told over and over about what you were doing wrong. Now you're going to cry about breaking the rules? You were the one being an uptight inconsiderate creating unsafe situations w/ much less skilled riders than you on the track. Let me ask you, how many people had to stand their bike up because of you? I bet you have no idea. Take it to level 3 next time or rent the track yourself. Ridiculous! I can't stand a big head!
Man.. relax. I gave my level 3 to Rune and rode in level 2. I didn't know you couldn't pass in T3-T9. I didnt know that you couldn't pass on a red flag. I didn't know I could cause so many problems on a 90 mph bike. I'm just giving my feedback.

I'm actually a pretty humble guy.
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #53
ciaka

Bike(s):
In between bikes

...lets hear back again after you come back from MSRH or TWS (Texas World Speedway) (after riding COTA)...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormand View Post
.... I wouldn't say it has "ruined" MSRH or TWS (Texas World Speedway)...
ciaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #54
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPracer33 View Post
I have competed, and taught on 3 different contents, if the people in charge talk to you once, it is considered a mistake. If you are talked to a second time, you didn't listen the first time. The third talking to you usually the individual gets told to pack up and go home. Not to mention the fact that being a representative of the organization lucky enough to be putting on the event. You would think you would like to do everything in your power to keep your wired tight. As you were unable to comprehend what was taking place at the time. I suggest you take a step back and reevaluate your powers of deduction so this does not happen again. Because eventually karma will catch up with you.
Is this Weslie Eastfeld giving me advice? And talking about Karma? Are you serious?

I dont work for Ride Smart anymore. I was a paying customer.

And sell that competed on 3 continents BULLCORN to someone else you poser liar. Those who know you know you suck.

And we know how you prey on noobs. Just like you did when I first started. Remember when you me and Reggie repairing our R6's.?
Old 06-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #55
mekrew
naaaaaw i sayin

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to mekrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Is this Weslie Eastfeld giving me advice? And talking about Karma? Are you serious?

I dont work for Ride Smart anymore. I was a paying customer.

And sell that competed on 3 continents BULLCORN to someone else you poser liar. Those who know you know you suck.

And we know how you prey on noobs. Just like you did when I first started. Remember when you me and Reggie repairing our R6's.?
Lol I was waiting on this on Brant ...
mekrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #56
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekrew View Post
Lol I was waiting on this on Brant ...
Dood had Meril and Manu conviced he was some european champ or some . Settin up suspension. Waiting for noobs to crash so he could haul their bikes home and em over.

Guy couldn't put it in the box in a novice CMRA race if his life depended on it but he's some euro gran prix champ?
Old 06-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #57
JMAC

Bike(s):
Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Dood had Meril and Manu conviced he was some european champ or some . Settin up suspension. Waiting for noobs to crash so he could haul their bikes home and em over.

Guy couldn't put it in the box in a novice CMRA race if his life depended on it but he's some euro gran prix champ?
JMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #58
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

gotta love it, Brandt will tell it like it is, including when he up... so I figure this is the way it is.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #59
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Brandt, stand up dude...in my book.

Wes, stand up dude...in my book.

<----glad I'm not part of the track drama no more. I'll just sit back here and watch.

and I sure hope SOMEONE (Ride Smart or other) gets to go back to COTA...you know I'll be signing up for that one.
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #60
mekrew
naaaaaw i sayin

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to mekrew
Hey you get in this drama and you like it ! lol
mekrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement