MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #21
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyon View Post
Man that is funny, Rofl!! You've been an instructor and don't know the passing rules? Did you listen to the rules? Attend riders meting? Go to class? You were acting like an hat in Level 2 passing under red flags, passing in the S's and all out being a hole. Saw this with my own eyes. I don't care who you are or how fast you are. You were completely inconsiderate of your fellow riders. You were creating an unsafe environment and you were told over and over about what you were doing wrong. Now you're going to cry about breaking the rules? You were the one being an uptight inconsiderate creating unsafe situations w/ much less skilled riders than you on the track. Let me ask you, how many people had to stand their bike up because of you? I bet you have no idea. Take it to level 3 next time or rent the track yourself. Ridiculous! I can't stand a big head!
Popcorn!
TMGP #78
Team I Just Wanna Ride #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
go ahead and cry so I can use the tears as lubrication to stick it in you
rob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
COTA Neon Samurai General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 03-07-2014 12:08 PM
BRAWP!BRAWP!BRAWP!..BRAWP BRAWP BRRRRAPPPPP....AT COTA!COTA!COTA!!!! Rykoson Taking it to the Track 14 08-01-2013 10:30 PM
COTA!!! COTA!!! COTA!!!! Rykoson Events, Meets and Rides 21 06-02-2013 11:48 PM
COTA dinosaur General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 04-17-2013 09:11 AM
COTA Yorke Taking it to the Track 2 06-08-2012 05:30 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #22
cyon

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 ZX6R
2008 TTR125

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekrew View Post
What did they get you for, just passes ? From going there for MotoGP that track seems pretty wide and big where there shouldn't be that many issues I would think with the group sizes they said they would have

popcorn yes
From what I heard and from what I saw, it was all about passes. The track is super wide, w/ tons of room. However, It's also very tight, very blind and technical. Practically every session when we'd come back to class someone was griping to the instructor about this guy on the motard spooking them. It became a broken record and I couldn't figure out why it was still going on and why they weren't in class. Eventually concluded it was someone who was "special" and didn't have to follow the rules. I didn't find out it was CDill until after the event. Disappointed to find out it was him.
CMRA Racer #736
www.RideSmart.info
cyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #23
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
From what I heard and from what I saw, it was all about passes. The track is super wide, w/ tons of room. However, It's also very tight, very blind and technical. Practically every session when we'd come back to class someone was griping to the instructor about this guy on the motard spooking them.
Must have been the motard's fault.

The hooliganism desire is unstopable...even for Cdill.

CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #24
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
08 Ninja250 BRAWP bike (For Sale)
08 Ninja250 Racebike(Sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

I believe the gauntlet has been thrown...

Motorcycles are like women... once you ride one... you wanna ride em all.
Thayleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #25
x-ray
CMRA #228

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Super Adventure
2007 SV650S (My track toy)
07 CRF230F
2006 VFR800a (sold - covered a lot of miles)
04 Honda 599 (sold)

I didn't see any of the "unsafe" passes but I know I did see some that broke the level 2 rules that were clearly stated in class by the 2nd session, safe or not. I know that I was held up a lot on my SV650 in the corners and passed up a LOT of passing opportunities that I would have taken advantage of in level 3 but were not allowed in level 2. That's the price I paid for having to take a level 2 slot when I normally ride level 3. But I played the cards that I was dealt.

I'd like to know how somebody managed to miss all the classes and still get out onto the track. I would have liked to opt out after about the 2nd class to have time to change some gearing on the SV. But since we supposedly had to get a sticker at the end of each class to get back out on the track for the next session I showed up and listened to material that I already knew 99% of. Were stickers not actually being checked, or was somebody getting stickers on the side? Granted, the A/C was nice and the instructors did make the class very enjoyable so it wasn't painful. I think the level 2 rides learned a lot.
07 Suzuki SV650s - CMRA #228
x-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #26
Tiller

Bike(s):
00 TL1000R
03 RC51
81 GS1100E
05 RM125
11 Ninja 250R

Quote:
I was taught it's considered an inside pass if the rider you are passing has already tipped into the turn. Again, what I've been taught.
It's one of those situations where they were going so slow, charging up the inside and my timing was slighty off. I was past of no return when I realized it was a bad pass.
Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #27
cyon

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2009 ZX6R
2008 TTR125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiller View Post
It's one of those situations where they were going so slow, charging up the inside and my timing was slighty off. I was past of no return when I realized it was a bad pass.
Been there done that. It's all in the name of safety. Do what's going to have the best result for both riders. Those situations are quite common in Lvl2 because there is such a gap in speed with the different riders.
CMRA Racer #736
www.RideSmart.info
cyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #28
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

Quote:
From what I heard and from what I saw, it was all about passes. The track is super wide, w/ tons of room. However, It's also very tight, very blind and technical. Practically every session when we'd come back to class someone was griping to the instructor about this guy on the motard spooking them. It became a broken record and I couldn't figure out why it was still going on and why they weren't in class. Eventually concluded it was someone who was "special" and didn't have to follow the rules. I didn't find out it was CDill until after the event. Disappointed to find out it was him.
Great experience!! My words cannot describe this Event! Great Job Ride Smart and COTA staff! Can't wait till next year!

Hey just to clear things up...I was in the control room...Cota was very strict on the passing rules..basically half of the track was a no passing zone in lvl 1 and 2.

I was in the Control room getting footage and could see the operations. Their official would not let a mouse sneez! His name was Steve. They would radio in someone..watch them the next turn...then all the officials would be on it...I was super impressed. Overkill maybe...they blacked flagged for open visors... I am sure more black flags were to drill in the point about the rules...I asked Steve at the end of the 1st day how we did! I even brought up the skepticism about the track day orgs and what not...he said he was skeptical at first with all the bikes..thinking we would have a lot of fall downs...He said Ride Smart kept a lid on it and he was impressed...I saw him again the second morning and his words to me were...I can relax today because yall did such a great job!! Ride Smart has the lvl two outside passing rules. Even my friends that work from other schools had the same issues, but apologized and fixed it. Plus how excited was everyone... lets lighten up! So if someone didn't go to class before this even you would not know... but I doubt Brandt would be disrespectful in a lvl to while passing. COTA staff may have been the ones who knows...

all in all the day was great and we should not give credit to anything negative because we all shared in this experience! I am truly humbled by this and can't imagine ever being able to top this weekend!!! TIme to start training and losing weight...... next adventure....: eekspin:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Duesses.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	69014   Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR1279.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	69015   Click image for larger version

Name:	GO PRO.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	69016  

STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Rykoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #29
x-ray
CMRA #228

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Super Adventure
07 CRF230F
04 Honda 599 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiller View Post
I accidentally did one of those too. And right after the session I went straight to the other rider's pit and basically told him, "sorry, error on my part. Hope it didn't shake you up" and he said we were all good.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #30
wiayeman
TOONTOON BLACKNWHITEARMY

Bike(s):
99 SV650 (race)x2
79 XS650
08 EX250R (race)
14 MSX125
88 YSR (race)

I was actually surprised by the level 3 group. I quit riding Ride Smart because I thought the talent level in 3 was so varied that it made for truly unsafe conditions. It seems that is no longer and issue. Everyone held and line and were quick for the most part.

This was my first time on the track (not racing) in about 10 months.

This is part of my post from another forum.

The first few sessions I was on the brakes way too much. The track flows, you just have to let it.

In the sessions after lunch, I can honestly say that it is the most fun I have had at a track day (nothing beats racing).

The track has enormous amounts of grip and NO BUMPS.

Going through 10 pinned and finally putting 16, 17, and 18 together and actually catching an up shift were the most gratifying.

It also confirms my theory that the GP boys are Nancys while the proper road racing boys are truly from another planet.

Oh, and I do not think that Brandt would intentionally anyone up. What is considered a very conservative safe pass in CMRA could be interpreted a lot differently in a Ride Smart level 2 track day.
CMRA#645
Purple Helmets Endurance Team
wiayeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #31
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

Control Room at Cota

Vids should be ready soon...still processing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02wE2...ature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAXQ0...ature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-ia-...ature=youtu.be
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Rykoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #32
Brutus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Truly didn't feel a single bump on the surface. I didn't notice any seams either. Proof that it can be done right.

I didn't like the "uptight" feel of the day. I felt like the fear of " it up for everyone" was very obvious.

I was reprimanded 3 of the 5 sessions I rode. By my 3rd session I was confused as to what was a good pass or not.

If it's going to be like that in the future, I don't think I'd pay to go back. I'll wait until they can relax or get a sense of humor. I guess if I spent whateverhundredmillion I'd probably be uptight too.
Hahahaa!! I saw you pull that power wheelie down the back straight!!! It was awesome.
Brutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #33
GPracer33

Bike(s):
2006 Honda CBR 600RR
2004 Honda CBR 600 RR

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Truly didn't feel a single bump on the surface. I didn't notice any seams either. Proof that it can be done right.

I didn't like the "uptight" feel of the day. I felt like the fear of " it up for everyone" was very obvious.

I was reprimanded 3 of the 5 sessions I rode. By my 3rd session I was confused as to what was a good pass or not.

If it's going to be like that in the future, I don't think I'd pay to go back. I'll wait until they can relax or get a sense of humor. I guess if I spent whateverhundredmillion I'd probably be uptight too.
I have competed, and taught on 3 different contents, if the people in charge talk to you once, it is considered a mistake. If you are talked to a second time, you didn't listen the first time. The third talking to you usually the individual gets told to pack up and go home. Not to mention the fact that being a representative of the organization lucky enough to be putting on the event. You would think you would like to do everything in your power to keep your wired tight. As you were unable to comprehend what was taking place at the time. I suggest you take a step back and reevaluate your powers of deduction so this does not happen again. Because eventually karma will catch up with you.
GPracer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #34
Brutus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
Hahahaa!! I saw you pull that power wheelie down the back straight!!! It was awesome.
Corrected - Guess that wasn't you. It was a beamer, though...and a fine wheelie.
lol
Old 06-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #35
x-ray
CMRA #228

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Super Adventure
07 CRF230F
04 Honda 599 (sold)

Hey, who else was in garage 32? I know Phil and Greg already. Anybody else on here that I can put a face with a screen name? I was on the SV650 by the personnel door. And I'll just say "you're welcome" right now because after I propped that door open, it sure made easy to pick out our garage from a distance when coming off the track. Plus it kept the SV's exhaust from choking me when I'd start it up in the corner to go out onto the track!
Old 06-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #36
Brutus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rykoson View Post
Great experience!! My words cannot describe this Event! Great Job Ride Smart and COTA staff! Can't wait till next year!

Hey just to clear things up...I was in the control room...Cota was very strict on the passing rules..basically half of the track was a no passing zone in lvl 1 and 2.

I was in the Control room getting footage and could see the operations. Their official would not let a mouse sneez! His name was Steve. They would radio in someone..watch them the next turn...then all the officials would be on it...I was super impressed. Overkill maybe...they blacked flagged for open visors... I am sure more black flags were to drill in the point about the rules...I asked Steve at the end of the 1st day how we did! I even brought up the skepticism about the track day orgs and what not...he said he was skeptical at first with all the bikes..thinking we would have a lot of fall downs...He said Ride Smart kept a lid on it and he was impressed...I saw him again the second morning and his words to me were...I can relax today because yall did such a great job!! Ride Smart has the lvl two outside passing rules. Even my friends that work from other schools had the same issues, but apologized and fixed it. Plus how excited was everyone... lets lighten up! So if someone didn't go to class before this even you would not know... but I doubt Brandt would be disrespectful in a lvl to while passing. COTA staff may have been the ones who knows...

all in all the day was great and we should not give credit to anything negative because we all shared in this experience! I am truly humbled by this and can't imagine ever being able to top this weekend!!! TIme to start training and losing weight...... next adventure....: eekspin:
Great post Rykoson! Thanks for sharing the pics and information.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #37
speedoeffect

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 cbr1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray View Post
Hey, who else was in garage 32? I know Phil and Greg already. Anybody else on here that I can put a face with a screen name? I was on the SV650 by the personnel door. And I'll just say "you're welcome" right now because after I propped that door open, it sure made easy to pick out our garage from a distance when coming off the track. Plus it kept the SV's exhaust from choking me when I'd start it up in the corner to go out onto the track!
Myla (myla296) Bruce (tiller) Not sure what Rodrigo is on here. Don't know the rest.
speedoeffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #38
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Here are my overall impressions of the track...I rode 3 sessions, last minute deal, on a borrowed bike. Here's a track map if you haven't been...

COTA track information

1. Everything is so smooth and new...amazing grip everywhere!

2. Passing is always going to be an issue at this track. Despite being wide as a freeway, the race line is pinched down to 1 foot wide. Unlike the other CMRA tracks, this track has, in my limited experience, only one fast line through 90% of the corners. If you are on it, you are golden. Off it, and you are sacrificing time. Riding the track confirmed my suspicions watching MotoGP there live...passing happens when someone in front screws up.

3. The flow of the track is amazing, but both of the long straights separate the cc classes in an extreme way. Coming onto both straights I was in 2nd on a 600cc at 6-7000 rpm. 1st was too twitchy to control. So it was a 2nd gear drag race roll on to 5th or 6th gear topped out. 1000's will rule on lap times due to the two slow turns onto straights..Turns 11 and 20, and to some degree the top of Turn 1 where again it is a 1st thru 4th drag race down into the sweepers. Unfortunately in a lot of areas, the only way to pass is...outside on the brakes in lvl2. Sorry again to the lvl 2 student I passed on the candy stripe outside. My bad!

4. Braking confidence is a necessity. Coming into Turn 12 I was braking on Bluepine's well sorted CBR600 from topped out in 6th at 155 or so down to 2nd gear at 40 MPH starting at about the 200 yard marker on the back straight. Some lvl 2 students had completely slowed and completed their braking by the 200 yard marker and were setting up for the tight left hand T12 at 150 yards. I saw a speed differential of maybe 100 MPH at that point for the confident braking lvl2 bikes versus the newbs. And everyone was trying to ride the race line.

5. The left right sweeper section between T5 and T10, where no passing is allowed, is reminiscent of the keyhole and bus stop at MSRH. If you are new to the track, you will get confused, and accelerate hard onto the mini straight (just after T7), thinking it is the longer next straight (after T9). I saw evidence and first hand tales of run offs in this area due to confusion. Otherwise, the sweepers T3,4,5 are faaaast, hard to read, and reward a late apex style very reminiscent of GSS's left right sweeper straight. Not for the timid, but for those on the attack, very rewarding. As you can see for the GP cars in the track map, the sweepers are taken as fast as the pit straight...181 mph.

6. Everything after the back straight, T12 - 20, is smooth as butter, requires a smooth flowing style with lots of leaned over corner exits and trail braking into corner entry. Riding it text book style...braking in a straight line, then tipping in, and accelerating once straight up again, will make for a big fat mess of polygon drawings. T13 and T14 are a double apex right into T14 (B) and T15 double apex left, into TRIPLE APEX!!!!!!!! T16,T17,T18. Like a lot of other riders, cranking over on the triple apex right....upshifting 2-3 times, and feeling like the grip can let me drag elbow....INCREDIBLE.

7. Facilities: Awesome, overkill, amazing. Food: Two BIG thumbs down for the worst ballpark preprepared crappy food stand style trainwreck served by a staff of 5 !?!?!?! Brings back memories of Lamar High School or the Houston Zoo circa 1990. YUK! Next time, I'ma pack a lunch.

8. Flagging...hard to see the little flags popping out of the archer windows on the castle walls. They need warning lights or much bigger flags. In Texas whereweezall normally ride (haha), we are used to corner workers running to the edge of the track, nearly, to alert us. I'm sure a black flag or two was missed....

9. CMRA needs to race here. Period, End, Exclamation Point, Soon, 2014. Upcharge for the event, $200, who cares. Everyone will come.

10. This is, far and away, the best and my most favorite MotoGP in Texas
Old 06-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #39
myla296

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray View Post
Hi! I was the girl of the garage, Rod was the tall guy (my boyfriend), Bruce/Tiller was right behind Rod - across the bathroom door, Dave (he's probably on here, I don't know..really just met him at TWS (Texas World Speedway) the last couple of times more recently) and Greg (he's not on here, great guy) were up front near the pit lane.

Thanks for opening that door, it was helpful!
myla296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #40
myla296

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoeffect View Post
Myla (myla296) Bruce (tiller) Not sure what Rodrigo is on here. Don't know the rest.
OMG, Greg is on here! Hi!
myla296 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement