MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #1
supadupa

Feedback Rating: (3)

COTA.......so what did you think?

Very nice surface & very technical track.....
supadupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
COTA Neon Samurai General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 03-07-2014 12:08 PM
BRAWP!BRAWP!BRAWP!..BRAWP BRAWP BRRRRAPPPPP....AT COTA!COTA!COTA!!!! Rykoson Taking it to the Track 14 08-01-2013 10:30 PM
COTA!!! COTA!!! COTA!!!! Rykoson Events, Meets and Rides 21 06-02-2013 11:48 PM
COTA dinosaur General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 04-17-2013 09:11 AM
COTA Yorke Taking it to the Track 2 06-08-2012 05:30 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

ahh only if i was rich enough :/ maybe one day they'll do a track day again, and i'll have my piggy bank saved up lol.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #3
myla296

Feedback Rating: (1)

It was crazy to be at what was serving like a professional race course. They had quick crash crews, nice buildings, great food service (pretty costly though), well timed sessions (with the exception of some unfortunate incidents). I didn't even care that I didn't have a pit crew!

BTW, the turns I was most worried about were not the ones that we a problem (1 and 9, 12). It was 14-16 that were kind of awkward for me!
myla296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:38 PM   #4
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by myla296 View Post
It was crazy to be at what was serving like a professional race course. They had quick crash crews, nice buildings, great food service, well timed sessions (with the exception of some unfortunate incidents). I didn't even care that I didn't have a pit crew!

BTW, the turns I was most worried about were not the ones that we a problem (1 and 9, 12). It was 14-16 that were kind of awkward for me!
everyone keeps saying there will not be a track day at cota again? Why is that? :/
Old 06-02-2013, 11:57 PM   #5
myla296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umayr View Post
everyone keeps saying there will not be a track day at cota again? Why is that? :/
When Ridesmart announced the track day, all was good. Then Ridesmart started selling spots, all was good. Then COTA wanted to cancel the event, a pushback came and somehow, they wound up honoring the contract. So, it seems that we had the event even though they didn't want it. A lot of us were on good behavior hoping that we can come back. We'll see!
Old 06-03-2013, 01:10 AM   #6
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by myla296 View Post
When Ridesmart announced the track day, all was good. Then Ridesmart started selling spots, all was good. Then COTA wanted to cancel the event, a pushback came and somehow, they wound up honoring the contract. So, it seems that we had the event even though they didn't want it. A lot of us were on good behavior hoping that we can come back. We'll see!
Why would COTA randomly not want us out there in first place or do you know what was making them change their mind? Are they stuck up? lol It will be very nice if we can have more track days out there... I would really like to do it, but I didnt even have a motorcycle or when they first started selling.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:13 AM   #7
myla296

Quote:
Why would COTA randomly not want us out there in first place or do you know what was making them change their mind? Are they stuck up? lol
I don't know the back story, but that could be valid.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:33 AM   #8
cyon

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2009 ZX6R
2008 TTR125

Who knows why really other than the execs? I can say a COTA representative (think he was GM of Operations? I could be completely wrong though) basically stated this was a test to see if these types of events would go well and implied if things did go well there would be a chance at RideSmart COTA 2014. I'm sure someone who remembers better than me has more of the details.

For some reason 18 was my trouble turn. Took me about 5 sessions to start nailing it o_0
CMRA Racer #736
www.RideSmart.info
cyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:29 AM   #9
supadupa

Feedback Rating: (3)

I enjoyed it, I'm just not sure I'd skip Three trips to TWS (Texas World Speedway) to do it again price wise.
supadupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #10
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

Track was awesome, I will never be happy with the local tracks again, flowed very well, great surface, I am thinking COTA might bring the trackdays in house and keep all the $$? we will see, Ridesmart did a awesome job
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #11
bdubb

Feedback Rating: (10)

Bike(s):
1961 Mustang Thoroughbred
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

They have already started to promote their own in-house trackdays for cars, so I would think you're correct Duc. Nothing on bikes yet though
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #12
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Truly didn't feel a single bump on the surface. I didn't notice any seams either. Proof that it can be done right.

I didn't like the "uptight" feel of the day. I felt like the fear of " it up for everyone" was very obvious.

I was reprimanded 3 of the 5 sessions I rode. By my 3rd session I was confused as to what was a good pass or not.

If it's going to be like that in the future, I don't think I'd pay to go back. I'll wait until they can relax or get a sense of humor. I guess if I spent whateverhundredmillion I'd probably be uptight too.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #13
ciaka

Bike(s):
In between bikes

Quote:
Why would COTA randomly not want us out there in first place or do you know what was making them change their mind? Are they stuck up? lol It will be very nice if we can have more track days out there... I would really like to do it, but I didnt even have a motorcycle or when they first started selling.
A: COTA wants to be involved in high price/profile events as their first priority. So when Ride Smart booked dates, COTA rethought their method and announced they want to cancel all track days (not just moto, but cars too). Porsche Club of America was in same boat, as were few other moto/auto orgs. The pushback came from those orgs that had their checks cashed, forcing COTA to honor those contracts that they already took money for. Ride Smart was one of three of them I think.
That is when COTA came back, saying they will honor the few contracts for 2013. After that, privately they told us they will see how everything goes, and return will partly depend on how they view the events went. Similar was stated to the auto groups - know PCoA instructor who said almost same thing too.

Another factor in COTA decision was that management did not view track days as something to get bothered with. They make a ton of money via F1/GP/AusV8, and are trying actively to bring more high profile events to the track. If they booked their 2014 schedule with track events and then have an opportunity to book a high profile event, they are already by contract obligated to fulfill the track day contract (way less money for them to make). IMO that is why they are not set on getting track days set up...waiting for schedule to fill up with hi profile events and then supplement with the 'lowly riders'.
The fact that they are not as much a race cultured ownership as some past inside circle people, also does not help track days. Decisions/attitude/etc show this....hopefully this will change as time goes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYIN'DUC View Post
Track was awesome, I will never be happy with the local tracks again, flowed very well, great surface, I am thinking COTA might bring the trackdays in house and keep all the $$? we will see, Ridesmart did a awesome job
...yeah, I feel bad for those who decided to have their first track day to be on this track....imagine going to TWS (Texas World Speedway)/MSRH after this one...will feel like your teeth are about to come out from the bumps....lol.
It will spoil some riding for sure.
I cannot say there is one turn on that track that I could say is one I did not like. T1-10 is just plain nuts...I mean you got more riding and turning here than at any of the other TX tracks, and each flows into the next one perfectly.
Then comes T11 - holy chit, I love this turn, and again T12 more of same - WOW.
T12-15, awesome combo here.
T16-19 - what can I say, frickin' amazing.
Lastly, T20 - again, what a turn to start the Grand stand straight - and you can really get down into it too.

This track is really something else....if we ever go back, I would strongly recommend you look into it (would go back just to hear the PA announcements again ... )
ciaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #14
myla296

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaka View Post
I cannot say there is one turn on that track that I could say is one I did not like. T1-10 is just plain nuts...I mean you got more riding and turning here than at any of the other TX tracks, and each flows into the next one perfectly.
Then comes T11 - holy chit, I love this turn, and again T12 more of same - WOW.
T12-15, awesome combo here.
T16-19 - what can I say, frickin' amazing.
Lastly, T20 - again, what a turn to start the Grand stand straight - and you can really get down into it too.
LOL, not a single unlikable spot for me either. Had trouble figuring out the triple apex area (13-14?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaka View Post
would go back just to hear the PA announcements again ...
I wanted to catch audio of their fancy chime, but didn't want to run my lowly little camera with the memory and battery eating video mode. I said elsewhere it made me feel fancy, like an intermission at an orchestra where they call you back in to sit down.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #15
Tiller

Bike(s):
00 TL1000R
03 RC51
81 GS1100E
05 RM125
11 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Truly didn't feel a single bump on the surface. I didn't notice any seams either. Proof that it can be done right.

I didn't like the "uptight" feel of the day. I felt like the fear of " it up for everyone" was very obvious.

I was reprimanded 3 of the 5 sessions I rode. By my 3rd session I was confused as to what was a good pass or not.

If it's going to be like that in the future, I don't think I'd pay to go back. I'll wait until they can relax or get a sense of humor. I guess if I spent whateverhundredmillion I'd probably be uptight too.
I got scolded on the second session on saturday for what was considered a inside pass on a instructor. He may have turned in but I was still straight up because I was going to have to square the corner off.

Love the track, nice to go about riding with out having to deal with pavement issues.
Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #16
cyon

Bike(s):
2009 ZX6R
2008 TTR125

Quote:

Man that is funny, Rofl!! You've been an instructor and don't know the passing rules? Did you listen to the rules? Attend riders meting? Go to class? You were acting like an hat in Level 2 passing under red flags, passing in the S's and all out being a hole. Saw this with my own eyes. I don't care who you are or how fast you are. You were completely inconsiderate of your fellow riders. You were creating an unsafe environment and you were told over and over about what you were doing wrong. Now you're going to cry about breaking the rules? You were the one being an uptight inconsiderate creating unsafe situations w/ much less skilled riders than you on the track. Let me ask you, how many people had to stand their bike up because of you? I bet you have no idea. Take it to level 3 next time or rent the track yourself. Ridiculous! I can't stand a big head!
CMRA Racer #736
www.RideSmart.info
Old 06-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #17
cyon

Bike(s):
2009 ZX6R
2008 TTR125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiller View Post
I got scolded on the second session on saturday for what was considered a inside pass on a instructor. He may have turned in but I was still straight up because I was going to have to square the corner off.

Love the track, nice to go about riding with out having to deal with pavement issues.
I was taught it's considered an inside pass if the rider you are passing has already tipped into the turn. Again, what I've been taught.
CMRA Racer #736
www.RideSmart.info
Old 06-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #18
DLite
David

Bike(s):
'06 Triumph D675
'03 R6 (Track)
'07 HD Street Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyon View Post
Man that is funny, Rofl!! You've been an instructor and don't know the passing rules? Did you listen to the rules? Attend riders meting? Go to class? You were acting like an hat in Level 2 passing under red flags, passing in the S's and all out being a hole. Saw this with my own eyes. I don't care who you are or how fast you are. You were completely inconsiderate of your fellow riders. You were creating an unsafe environment and you were told over and over about what you were doing wrong. Now you're going to cry about breaking the rules? You were the one being an uptight inconsiderate creating unsafe situations w/ much less skilled riders than you on the track. Let me ask you, how many people had to stand their bike up because of you? I bet you have no idea. Take it to level 3 next time or rent the track yourself. Ridiculous! I can't stand a big head!
ROFL for sure, if true.
DLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #19
mekrew
naaaaaw i sayin

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to mekrew
Quote:

What did they get you for, just passes ? From going there for MotoGP that track seems pretty wide and big where there shouldn't be that many issues I would think with the group sizes they said they would have

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyon View Post
popcorn yes
mekrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #20
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80