MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2013, 12:41 AM   #21
Slovy
BRAWP Racing

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2003 Honda CBR 600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
Yes because calling someone out will do any good how? Instead of calling them out just force them to wear it. Actions speak louder than words. I'm just going to and moan and not doing anything about it. It gets nowhere. People are out there and still wearing no gear. I think we should go to their houses and berate them. Public service you know?
Contradiction.

how is telling someone to wear gear not doing anything about it.

everyone has their own life, and opinions yes but, kind sir, You are wrong in that aspect.

I rode for 2 years without gear, has a similar crash to your buddy, just not as bad.

still road without gear, till someone finally said ( from motohouston no less)

You can not ride with me if you dont wear gear.

guess what, some times actions speak louder than words, but sometimes all it takes its a few stories and some brutally honest truth to get to you wear it.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cop rear ends rider, then BLAMES the rider CTtriple General Discussion (Moto Related) 76 11-06-2013 10:09 AM
Rider hit by other rider - Video Inside Neon Samurai General Discussion (Moto Related) 52 07-31-2012 03:42 PM
Rider and co-rider down 290E & Barker Cypress jimrad General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 04-17-2011 12:17 AM
Rider Down on 242, report says inexperienced rider Davekg General Discussion (Moto Related) 94 03-24-2011 07:11 PM
Rider to Passenger/Other Rider Communication Pyrofallout General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 02-22-2008 09:38 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2013, 01:04 AM   #22
Copperhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slovy View Post
Contradiction.

how is telling someone to wear gear not doing anything about it.

everyone has their own life, and opinions yes but, kind sir, You are wrong in that aspect.

I rode for 2 years without gear, has a similar crash to your buddy, just not as bad.

still road without gear, till someone finally said ( from motohouston no less)

You can not ride with me if you dont wear gear.

guess what, some times actions speak louder than words, but sometimes all it takes its a few stories and some brutally honest truth to get to you wear it.
While you are telling them how wrong they are. They can get on their bike without giving a rat's about what you say and ride off without gear. Saying is not always equal to doing. Hence the phrase "actions speak louder than words". I also have motorcycle mates who don't wear gear. A couple of them crashed. One was sore but had no cuts at all and another broke his collarbone which only happened because it was his already weakened collarbone in an accident at a slower speed which happened while he was wearing a leather jacket.

I have no faith in my gear and I personally don't like to bother with it but I bought it so I don't want my gear to just pick up dust. That's wasting money despite my faith in it or lack thereof. Plus when you ride dirtbikes for a while you will get tired of gear at least that happened to me.

Of course, any rider can opt not to ride with someone with no gear but if somebody told me that then I wouldn't want to ride with them anyway. If that was the rider's sole criteria. I mean can't they think of anything else? Say I'm a douchebag or that my bike is too slow (or too fast) or whatever. My personal choice of gear has that much of an effect on you? Wow.

I get it you make fair points but from what I see. When somebody about anything not just gear. I'm thinking that the person doesn't have the and force the person to fit to their style. Anybody can talk. If you feel that strongly offer to buy him/her gear. He/she could very well afford but the fact you offered to purchase gear which I'm sure you know can get expensive is definitely a strong action. Saying does not always equal doing. I just would like to think that my life is far too hectic to get bothered over someone's gear preference.

Last edited by Copperhead; 06-07-2013 at 01:07 AM.
Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:18 AM   #23
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

I saw two teen today texting at the same time. One was a passenger, and one was driving.... Worry about that.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:03 AM   #24
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Copper why don't you start your own thread on it rather than hash it out in OP's updates, or use the 'shame' thread instead of this one.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:45 AM   #25
eltejano
I smell pretty

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
Copper why don't you start your own thread on it rather than hash it out in OP's updates, or use the 'shame' thread instead of this one.
this
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:40 AM   #26
Bozley81
Don't forget to Floss!

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

best wishes for a full recovery, prayers and all!
Old 06-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #27
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Hope rider will be okay... without his spleen. Must not be that important if it is removable. May be it's the body's sacrificial organ to protect more important ones.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #28
tustah

Bike(s):
2008 GSX-R750

AND... back to the topic.

Wishing your friend a speedy recovery. Sometimes, all you can do is try to get your friend to wear gear. I wouldn't push it on him with anything with a "see, I told you so" mentality. Copperhead is taking it to the extreme a bit with actions speak louder than words. In the end, everyone makes their own choices. It's not your duty to play daddy (or mommy?).

Again, hoping for the best.
tustah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #29
Chuckster

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

When I pointed out the lack of gear he agreed that he should. He even admits that's what they stressed in his MSF course. I used to ride without gear a long time ago but I didn't know a lot about riding either. Once I started ha ging out with experienced riders (even before I bought my R1) they all stressed the importance of gear. Being that I was older and knew I wasn't "invincible", gear was what I bought on my way home while trailering my bike from the dealer.
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #30
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

Any word on whether the helmet broke or not?

I hope he is up and about soon.

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #31
Chuckster

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

Supposedly his helmet shattered. He didn't suffer any head trauma other than the broken jaw. This is the report I've gotten so far. Supposedly a car veered into his lane knocking him off. I'm sure there is more to the story but no one is sharing. He's a noob so, if I had to guess, he was riding above his experience level. He was on a 2013 ZX6R.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #32
Chuckster

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

Latest update is that he is out if ICU and off the breathing machine. He's awake too. So far so good.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #33
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
While you are telling them how wrong they are. They can get on their bike without giving a rat's about what you say and ride off without gear. Saying is not always equal to doing. Hence the phrase "actions speak louder than words". I also have motorcycle mates who don't wear gear. A couple of them crashed. One was sore but had no cuts at all and another broke his collarbone which only happened because it was his already weakened collarbone in an accident at a slower speed which happened while he was wearing a leather jacket.

I have no faith in my gear and I personally don't like to bother with it but I bought it so I don't want my gear to just pick up dust. That's wasting money despite my faith in it or lack thereof. Plus when you ride dirtbikes for a while you will get tired of gear at least that happened to me.

Of course, any rider can opt not to ride with someone with no gear but if somebody told me that then I wouldn't want to ride with them anyway. If that was the rider's sole criteria. I mean can't they think of anything else? Say I'm a douchebag or that my bike is too slow (or too fast) or whatever. My personal choice of gear has that much of an effect on you? Wow.

I get it you make fair points but from what I see. When somebody about anything not just gear. I'm thinking that the person doesn't have the and force the person to fit to their style. Anybody can talk. If you feel that strongly offer to buy him/her gear. He/she could very well afford but the fact you offered to purchase gear which I'm sure you know can get expensive is definitely a strong action. Saying does not always equal doing. I just would like to think that my life is far too hectic to get bothered over someone's gear preference.

You're acting like dumbass. My "gear" saved my face from gett smashed in, my arm from being broken, my ankle from being snapped and my hands from loosing all the flesh off of them.

Telling people to wear gear DOES help, why? Some peolple dont realize the danger. I know many people who wore gear because their friends harassed them and then they ended up getting in an accident/
Old 06-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #34
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
Latest update is that he is out if ICU and off the breathing machine. He's awake too. So far so good.
Hope he gets better.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #35
acjei
aka A.C. Jizzle

Bike(s):
2013 Ducati 848 Evo
04 R6-sold
01 Zx6r-sold

dam shattered his helmet?!? holy

will keep him in my prayers.

I also usually ride without a jacket (when its hot). I always have helmet, pants and gloves. To each his own.

If u willing to ride without gear just be prepared for the consequences
Old 06-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #36
Chuckster

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by acjei View Post
dam shattered his helmet?!? holy

will keep him in my prayers.

I also usually ride without a jacket (when its hot). I always have helmet, pants and gloves. To each his own.

If u willing to ride without gear just be prepared for the consequences

This is true. If he was more experienced I probably wouldn't have bothered but this was his first bike. With his lack of experience I figured he needed all the protection he could get. Personally, I think he might have been trying to keep up with faster riders and someone cut into his lane but I'm just speculating. I took him to RR a few weeks ago but I ran at legal speed when I saw him having trouble with some of the corners and made sure to check on him periodically to make sure he was ok.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #37
myla296

If he chooses to ride again, the OP's friend will likely wear gear. Some of us learn in different ways, some by experience.
myla296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #38
Chuckster

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

Yeah, his bike is probably a write off too. Heard it caught fire. It would make a sweet track bike.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #39
Jredford
Rotsevnieht

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
FZ1
R1200RT
CRF450X Tard
R6 Friggin Rocket Ship
CRMA Lic #622

Glad he is getting better. Gear is soooo important. Be safe out there.

"Racing is life... everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in 'Le Mans'
Jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #40
Slovy
BRAWP Racing

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2003 Honda CBR 600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Samurai View Post
You're acting like dumbass. My "gear" saved my face from gett smashed in, my arm from being broken, my ankle from being snapped and my hands from loosing all the flesh off of them.

Telling people to wear gear DOES help, why? Some peolple dont realize the danger. I know many people who wore gear because their friends harassed them and then they ended up getting in an accident/
And Borc wins again. Thanks fr backing me on that bro

Advertisement