MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2005, 12:30 AM   #1
dan

Member Garage

Local Source for Mobil 1 mc oil?

I'm looking for some Mobil 1 MX4T 10w-40 Motorcycle oil.
Who sells this in Houston?
I could also use some fork oil, is that readily available?
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
local Odyssey battery source needed urbanXJ General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 12-20-2012 12:53 PM
local Royal Canin SO dog food source needed urbanXJ Off Topic 2 09-22-2011 05:44 PM
mobil 1 synthetic moto oil?? kraka_jdm General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 05-24-2011 03:41 PM
Local MC audio Reemdog General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 01-04-2011 12:47 PM
Mobil 1 Oil & Filter Special at Advance Autoparts Zapata General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 09-29-2009 09:31 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2005, 12:44 AM   #2
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Re: Local Source for Mobil 1 mc oil?

Try Klaus speedworks - 281-847-0801
Old 05-01-2005, 12:49 AM   #3
dan

Member Garage

Where is that?
Old 05-01-2005, 12:58 AM   #4
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Typ&name=Klaus+Speedworks&desc=(281)+9 31-0082&csz=Houston+TX+77060&country=us&cs=9&ed=Fl0_x a160SyiCzidIxQJtBdng_vuo3gyzcdhRnArEbMrXRDtACwrGNN b4KkHtQ--
Old 05-30-2005, 08:46 PM   #5
tbone16

Feedback Rating: (0)

I used mobil one synthetic on the trump the other day, but my pops tells me they have the mobile one synthetic for motorcycle use at wallmart. He said they actually have alot of bike stuff now days, he got me a pretty nice disk lock.
tbone16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 07:24 AM   #6
StarC
STUNT INSTIGATOR

Auto Zone, they have it. If you don't see it ask for it. A-Z keep it stock in the back sometimes.... right:
StarC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 12:24 PM   #7
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Walmart... Gold Cap right:

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 06:58 PM   #8
Din

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
GSXR with CHROME PACKAGE

pepboys?
Din is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 06:49 PM   #9
Pabst214

skip all of that and run Motul 20w 50 is what we use at the shop, best oil on the market for bikes in my opinion we use the 20w because it is so hot down here keeps the oil from thining out to much due to the heat. come by motorcycles unlimited we keep it in stock.
Pabst214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 10:02 PM   #10
ImG

Send a message via AIM to ImG

so hows much is a quart of the MOTUL? cuz i know the mobil 1 synthetc is reasonnable.
ImG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 10:20 PM   #11
Pabst214

jeeez dont quote me on this but i think a quart of the motul synthetic is around 14...... again great oil i wouldnt use anything else.

later
Pabst214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 08:48 AM   #12
paniro187

that's alot for a quart of motul in my opinion. tha'ts morethan the mobil 1 at walmrt for5 quarts.

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 11:04 AM   #13
magzx12r

Feedback Rating: (5)

You can get the Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Motorcycle Oil from AutoZone at about $7.99/Quart.

Motul 300V Full Synthetic in my opinion is the best oil. 15W50 would be good for the summer months. It also comes in 5W40 and 10W40. The going price is ~$12 - $14 per Liter in the Houston area.

Motul also makes an E-Tech 100 full synthetic motorcycle oil that is very good. It costs $9 - $10 per quart or liter.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:31 PM   #14
ImG

ouch, that burnt a hole in my wallet just hearing that. i guess ill just stick to my mobil one auto motive oil 15w-50. works for me so far.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:10 PM   #15
paniro187

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImG
ouch, that burnt a hole in my wallet just hearing that. i guess ill just stick to my mobil one auto motive oil 15w-50. works for me so far.
sure does if i didn't get silkolene for free that's what i'd be using.

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 01:35 PM   #16
JoeRider

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprpronov214
skip all of that and run Motul* * * *20w 50 is what we use at the shop,* best oil on the market for bikes in my opinion* we use the 20w because it is so hot down here* * keeps the oil from thining out to much due to the heat.* * * come by motorcycles unlimited* we keep it in stock.
I think you got your information wrong...the 20W part of the oil is the viscosity/protection when cold. Hence the reason why many oils have gone to a 0w because they flow quicker on start-up to reduce wear where the most wear occurs. Perhaps you were just calling the 20w50 "20w" which you would be correct that it would provide better protection with the 50w at operating temperatures, however again, most wear doesnt occur in that phase from my understanding.

~Joe
Old 07-08-2005, 10:52 AM   #17
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

You're correct. The 50w is for higher temps / loads. You're also correct that most engine wear occurs during start up, followed by high loads. I.E. holding it wide open in top gear.
Mobil 1 is good oil, although I wouldn't recommend the car one for bike use. The car version has additives / friction modifiers that don't work well with wet clutches and gearboxes.
After years of tearing down endurance race motors and seeing more than a few oil analysis tests you get a feel for what oils work well. The 2 best I've seen is the Motul and the Honda GN4.
While some oils are more expensive than others I've always followed this belief: Oil is cheap, motors are expensive, run the best oil you can afford and change it and the filter regularly.

Patrick

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 02:03 PM   #18
JoeRider

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
You're correct. The 50w is for higher temps / loads. You're also correct that most engine wear occurs during start up, followed by high loads. I.E. holding it wide open in top gear.
Mobil 1 is good oil, although I wouldn't recommend the car one for bike use.* The car version has additives / friction modifiers that don't work well with wet clutches and gearboxes.
After years of tearing down endurance race motors and seeing more than a few oil analysis tests you get a feel for what oils work well.* The 2 best I've seen is the Motul and the Honda GN4.
While some oils are more expensive than others I've always followed this belief: Oil is cheap, motors are expensive, run the best oil you can afford and change it and the filter regularly.

Patrick
I was always told to use "motorcycle" specific oil due to the car oils not having some of the friction modifiers needed for the gearbox as mentioned above. There are a few car type oils out there that in fact do have this but I can't recall some of the the brand names off the top of my head....I want to say one of them was Castrol?
Old 07-08-2005, 02:24 PM   #19
KalmarJoe
Cstoum Uesr Tltie

Bike(s):
05 Zx-12r

It's the other way around, car oils have extra friction modifiers to decrease friction, and improve fuel economy. However, the last thing you want to do to a wet clutch (one that is lubircated by the engine oil) is to add the other friction modifiers. Usually what will do you in will be some kind of antisieze formula, this is going to prevent your clutch from fully locking up. Might not be noticeable on a 30hp - 40hp cruiser, but on any decent 600+cc sportsbike you can get some wicked clutch slippage and chatter.
MH Insomniac #001
zx12r20banner
KalmarJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 04:37 PM   #20
ImG

been using mobil one red cap (now gold) for almost two years now. no problems to far. and i think someone did a blackstone oil analysis of the mobile one bike specific and the auto 15w-50 and found the additives differences unsignificant. ill try to pull up the report.

Advertisement