MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #21
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Several reviewers on CG's website have reported zipper failures
Plus one MH member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhukov View Post
The zipper on mine broke after about 10 trackdays, but CG replaced the suit. I avoid taking it off and putting it back on again as much as possible during a trackday to avoid breaking it again, but I've done about 20 trackdays (without crashing, I'm slow) and they're ok for the price I guess.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bilt Bluetooth helmets.... ZXALAN General Discussion (Moto Related) 61 04-17-2014 10:26 AM
Certain Bilt helmet.... hotcknstrips Gear Talk 9 09-22-2013 04:20 AM
I know I know, anything but BiLT Tut Gear Talk 26 08-27-2012 01:02 PM
BiLT, what do you say? NewRider Gear Talk 41 09-02-2011 12:36 PM
BiLT and Cyclegear morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 37 07-03-2011 04:52 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-29-2013, 11:17 AM   #22
ZX-Dominance

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1 (wifey)
2007 ZX-6R (track)
2008 Speed Triple White Knight (sold)
2008 CBR1000RR "Red Rocket"
2005 SV1000S (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_5.0 View Post
Why not buy a used suit?
+1

Used doesn't mean wrecked. I've purchased a couple very nice suits "used" but in almost new condition. Save over 50% from new price and feel much safer
ZX-Dominance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #23
uhaulcma
CMA FASTLANE G.E.T.

Bike(s):
2005 HONDA GOLDWING
KAWASKI VOYAGER XII SOLD
KAWASAKI 800 VULCAN CLASSIC SOLD
2002 KAWASAKI 750 ZR7

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgprestige15 View Post
Guess Ill chime in then. I was attracted to the bilt leathers due to the cheap price. I did a little research and the bilt leathers are something like .2 mm thinner than, say, an a* suit (1.2 mm vs 1.4 mm leather or something) Not sure how big of a deal it is. Umayrs suit (a*) feels sturdier than my bilt leathers - not a night and day difference, but still sturdier. If you can, save and get something better. If you're on a budget, I would say they will be fine until you upgrade. Overall the quality is not horrible and nothing has fallen apart yet. The zippers are not great quality. All stitching is still intact. Leather feels sturdy enough to survive a few crashes. However, I have not crashed in them so this is just my opinion. Overall I would give them a 3/5 rating. Fine for the street rider and novice track rider - again, just my opinion.

Edit: I posted without reading all the responses bc I'm lazy. Read them all and agree with what everyone above says too.
I bought Bilts leathers because of price. zippers are a major problem. I was crashed out at msrh sunday and the suit did its job. They are cheap and not as good as others. would not recommend them once you start moving into the upper classes. if i was going any faster than fast novice slow intermediate i think i would have been worse off. going to get better leather now.
uhaulcma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #24
TheBeeDeeGee

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2005 CBR 600 F4i
2001 RC51 *sold :(
2002 VFR 800 *sold
2002 919 *sold
2006 599 * wrecked

Thanks for the replies.

I was looking at getting some leathers for track days, but I have realized I should probably wear something on weekend rides as well.

I mean on the SMR's it's not like I'm going 140 through a bend, but if I hit the road doing those speeds in my mesh jacket.......yeah that aint good.

I guess I'll look for a used suit or wait for a decent one to go on sale. My first track day I'll probably just take advantage of the free leathers and boots for first timers with ridesmart.

After that I know I'm going to be hooked (pretty much already am from the parade lap at MSRH) and I will invest in leathers.
TheBeeDeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #25
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeeDeeGee View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I was looking at getting some leathers for track days, but I have realized I should probably wear something on weekend rides as well.

I mean on the SMR's it's not like I'm going 140 through a bend, but if I hit the road doing those speeds in my mesh jacket.......yeah that aint good.

I guess I'll look for a used suit or wait for a decent one to go on sale. My first track day I'll probably just take advantage of the free leathers and boots for first timers with ridesmart.

After that I know I'm going to be hooked (pretty much already am from the parade lap at MSRH) and I will invest in leathers.
i can not express how much fun the track is. i went 3 times this weekend
Old 05-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #26
monstermanus

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
ducati monster (sold )
Ducati streetfighter

Send a message via AIM to monstermanus Send a message via Yahoo to monstermanus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
I had Frank Thomas and they did the job. Bilt would certainly be better than a mesh jacket and jeans
I guess I shouldnt believe what the guys said. sorry bud. I hope all is well.
monstermanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:04 PM   #27
Truckin_Thumper

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050
WR426 Blue Hooligan Motard ---once back together

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeeDeeGee View Post
Thanks for the replies.

try this:

Spend what you can afford..now. You will upgrade later when you find out what works for your comfort as time goes on, just as you did with bikes.

My experience with textile gear dependability is that of wearing the knees out checking over the bike and lubing chains while on the road. I have seen a LOT of AARs on others crashes, and they look like 100mph get off will save the skin.....but the gear is toast.

If Bilt is what you need now, go get it, who gives a about status when bleeding out on the side of the track is the option.

Whats the worse that would happen, you give it away to a track n00b on a later date? Good Karma will follow that.

Just my 2 cents worth
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:28 AM   #28
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermanus View Post
I guess I shouldnt believe what the guys said. sorry bud. I hope all is well.
Exactly, unless they were the two riders that were with me
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement