MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
Slovy
BRAWP Racing

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2003 Honda CBR 600rr

Talking CMRA Licensing School Hallett Motor Speedway

So I probably should start with how all of this came about before, I get down to the injuries and club fun!

And for your sake, I will try and make this as mitigated as possible.

It started one lonely night at the apartment; you know.. popcorn, beer, lotion. I decided I would head to to local BRAWP meet in hopes of getting some close call crashes on Chris 5.0's little 50! So off I go, Chris broke some spokes (don't wanna guess as to how) So I road bluepine's bike all night, and what a blast it was.

Knee dragging competition with fox351 (patrick). Unfortunately, the night was cut short, because everyone thought I was going to hit a truck! (lies!)

So we put up the bikes, had some good food and went on home. The following day is when it all started to come together. I'm trolling around on Facebook, and suddenly get a message of some sort from the one and only honeybadger (mike), Apparently he saw the video and say the honeybadger in me lol, so he invited me out to Dirt wars II With him and the "BRAWP Racing team" By the way, Collin Edwards has one of an establishment, very well kept grounds and knowledgeable staff!

To summarize the first day, at TTBC, I watched from the sidelines as BRAWP did their thing, and had fun doing it, and that is where PAPA BRAWP himself came in, I told him how I would love to get involved with the CMRA, just having issues making ends meet for that kinda of hobby. Well after some talking he showed me how easily it can be done.

Second day comes around, Kris and Mike Take me out for some Flat Track TT fun, BRAWP STYLE!!! and I quickly learned just what that meant.... 45 minuets in and I high side, bad. I can walk, if I hopped. My ankle quickly swelled up and turned purple. Pretty sure I broke it, but I paid 40 bucks to ride today, I'm not a wimp! 30 minuets later (and a walmart trip) I had a ankle brace and some pain killers to keep me going, so like a honey badger I hop back in the saddle and start shredding it up!! started to get pretty fast by the end of the day too!

so now I'm set for Hallett, not sure if I want to try for a CMRA license yet though (I only had 2 track days!) I just wanted to ride and hang out with these awesome people that were unified via motorcycles. Unfortunately, when we contacted Nancy, she was very clear that you had to be a member of the CMRA to ride, and furthermore, you had to have a fully race preped bike. And that is fully understandable! So I did what any one in my situation would of done. I beat the system, I sucked up my fears and signed up for the CMRA Licensing School! But what to do about a bike now? surly I don't wanna waste $100 in drill bits to get my bike ready! not to mention I didn't have race plastics! Peter came in from left field with a offer I couldn't be anything but thankful for, he let me hop on the BRAWP Racing 250.

So we get to Hallett, class is good, short, and that's always a plus, all I have to do is not crash, that's what I'm thinking all day. and it was not helping my situation, it was stressing me out! not to mention, I tore a few ligaments the weekend prior at TTBC when i high-sided. Kris, Ryan, and Mark noticed me stressing (at-least I think they did) Had a sit down with me, then took me out on the track to show me a thing or two about staying calm when you get going, and it all worked, THANKS GUYS!

After I let my competitive nature go, and went out there to just shred some tires, I started to have a BLAST!

To cut this thing short, ill hop to the conclusion and give praise and thanks to my friends and fellow riders alike.

All in all it was an amazing weekend! we had laughs, arguments, push starts, and beers. A kick pit crew too might I add! (never had people run over to put my bike on a stand for me, thanks Gavin)

I want to thank firstly Mike for getting me out there to meet his friends, and shred up TTBC with me!

Kris, for always keeping me calm and fast!

Peter, dude your awesome. Its not every day you meet someone like him, and his experience is overwhelming!

Ryan, Broke buddies, but no less an awesome friend. He keeps my faith in riding and strong. and is always making wicked awesome videos!

Leather & Lace: They were all a fountain of experience, but I want to mainly thank Ana for taking me around the track quite a bit and showing me the lines in areas where I just couldn't get it down. and for wrapping my boot with duct tape You my friends, are AWESOME!

Jay Newton, dude your stupid fast! thanks for letting me follow you around for as long as I could, lol

Mark, thanks for all the advice, you got me off the bike with confidence, and now its a feeling I cant race without! this guy dropped probably 10 seconds off my times any any track. seriously, amazing feedback!

John Redford, Trey, Joey same goes for you guys, I didn't get to hang out with y'all much, because you seemed to be in every other race! but any time with you guys, I learned something new.

Anyone else I forgot, I'm positive I thanked you in person, and if not, THANK YOU GUYS!!!

Without further "ahh doo" A very well pieced together Teaser video, of myself at Hallett Motor Speedway, Produced by the one and only Ryan Short, with Street Scholars Productions! Enjoy!

Last edited by Slovy; 05-27-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Slovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CMRA licensing NOT available with with Ridesmart for 2012 cdill35 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 2 02-07-2012 11:28 PM
CMRA licensing cdill35 Taking it to the Track 126 11-13-2009 09:50 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
Slovy
BRAWP Racing

Bike(s):
2003 Honda CBR 600rr

oh yeah

BRAWP BRAWP!
Old 05-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
Schmidie
d(^v^)b

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Kawi ZX6R (Hybernating)

Member Garage

Congrats broddah! I'll be up there soon too.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
Slovy
BRAWP Racing

Bike(s):
2003 Honda CBR 600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidie View Post
Congrats broddah! I'll be up there soon too.
get it on man, we can battle it out on the LW nov Class
Old 05-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #5
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Congrats man!!

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
Slovy
BRAWP Racing

Bike(s):
2003 Honda CBR 600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post
Congrats man!!
thanks! i should be riding with you and magic man soon here, im selling the street bike and getting a motard and track bike
Old 05-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #7
queenmoka
BORC O.G!!!!!!

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Aprilliiaaaaaaa RSV4R
S1000RR...BORC owned!
The Ninja.....

Member Garage

Congratulation Justin, nice video....you got a good start, not like mine
Old 05-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #8
Slovy
BRAWP Racing

Bike(s):
2003 Honda CBR 600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenmoka View Post
Congratulation Justin, nice video....you got a good start, not like mine
thanks!!

i got a alright start, i picked up the front end quite a bit, so it took a second to catch the group again I placed 3rd though! only to the instructor and a 600cc!
Old 05-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

Congrats Justin!!! You deserve it! My Broke brother! Lets go rub some elbows!
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Rykoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #10
Rowdy76

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

dude thats way cool. of steel riding with a jacked up foot...love to see dedication by people who love what they do. too bad my super hero shirt has a giant "P" in the middle on a pink background .. way to scared to go fast.
Rowdy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #11
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

awesome story and write up. everyone you mentioned is really amazing, and a total blast to talk and kick it with.
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #12
Slovy
BRAWP Racing

Bike(s):
2003 Honda CBR 600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rykoson View Post
Congrats Justin!!! You deserve it! My Broke brother! Lets go rub some elbows!
thanks again man!!! once were both healed we will swap some paint :P
Old 05-27-2013, 11:15 PM   #13
Slovy
BRAWP Racing

Bike(s):
2003 Honda CBR 600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy76 View Post
dude thats way cool. of steel riding with a jacked up foot...love to see dedication by people who love what they do. too bad my super hero shirt has a giant "P" in the middle on a pink background .. way to scared to go fast.
Yeah after i found out i have torn ligaments, i was like .. and i didnt want to take the pills they gave me and go ride on a track (not very smart) so most of my pit time involved taking off the boot and massaging my foot, not to mention mark recorded me and we reviewed it all.

at the end of the day, i could barely walk! Anita was really helpful and sweet too, always asking how my ankle was feeling

brother man, i am by no means fast, regardless of what people say, compared to alot of these seasoned riders im a squid, but everyone starts somewhere that includes rossi you and myself. if you put your head to it you will get the confidence in yourself and your bike to enjoy the pleasures of the track and maybe cmra aswell, put your mind to it my man!
Old 05-27-2013, 11:16 PM   #14
Slovy
BRAWP Racing

Bike(s):
2003 Honda CBR 600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by switch View Post
awesome story and write up. everyone you mentioned is really amazing, and a total blast to talk and kick it with.
oh wow, i dont know you personally but ive herd about you, and let me just say its pretty exciting to have you post on my thread givin me the thumbs up!

thanks man!!
Old 05-28-2013, 02:49 AM   #15
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slovy View Post
Yeah after i found out i have torn ligaments, i was like .. and i didnt want to take the pills they gave me and go ride on a track (not very smart) so most of my pit time involved taking off the boot and massaging my foot, not to mention mark recorded me and we reviewed it all.

at the end of the day, i could barely walk! Anita was really helpful and sweet too, always asking how my ankle was feeling

brother man, i am by no means fast, regardless of what people say, compared to alot of these seasoned riders im a squid, but everyone starts somewhere that includes rossi you and myself. if you put your head to it you will get the confidence in yourself and your bike to enjoy the pleasures of the track and maybe cmra aswell, put your mind to it my man!
It took me till my mid 20's to get on a roller coaster cause I am scared of heights lol. I am gaining confidence every time I go out but that little man on my shoulder telling me if I crash I could lose everything will hold me back. My legs and arms are my life. If I go down and break an arm/leg my income goes bye-bye.

I do want to do a track day .. because everyone has said how much it improved their street riding skills. I am all about learning about so it is on my list once I have a better feel for the bike. Its hard though cause I always buy with a limit and I push to that limit. Sometimes I feel I want more but I know what more means .. another limit. Its funny how the first time I went 60 on the bike it felt so fast... then 70... then 80 ... I kinda stopped looking at the speedo but I am sure I have been over 90. The only thing that really lets me know I am going faster is the wind resistance... if I had a bigger screen or actually tucked in ... I would be in trouble. Cause I thought the speed without a cage would scare me ... it really does not bother me that much. But when that wind hits me its a reminder.

The only thing that really scares the out of me is corners. That is what the track day is for. I wont say never but in a few years I will probably end up with a faster bike. I just know it will happen but as calculated as I am I wont be one of the 6 months gotta upgrade people. I like my little 300...so I will keep it. I will have to save up to buy another bike once I feel there is nothing left for me to "learn" on this one. Going fast can be achieved on anything .. if I wanted super speed would have bought a liter bike. I like to learn all I can before moving on to something else.

But after I made you read all that.. congrats again man. That is awesome .. I just found out a guy that I know use to race CMRA back in 2003 (crash made him quit) ... I am gonna have to talk to him about track days. He does not ride anymore but I am sure he is a wealth of knowledge.
Rowdy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:56 AM   #16
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

Dew it...the more the better...
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Rykoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #17
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
08 Ninja250 BRAWP bike (For Sale)
08 Ninja250 Racebike(Sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

Congrats Slovy! Glad to have you out in CMRA. You learn a whole lot out there with the racers because you can see their lines and you get the... well if they can do it then I can mentality when you know it is nothing but 250s out there in the mini endurance. Now that I am injured... I will have a hard time catching up to you when I get back in the saddle. BRAWP BRAWP!

Motorcycles are like women... once you ride one... you wanna ride em all.
Thayleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #18
Jredford
Rotsevnieht

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
FZ1
R1200RT
CRF450X Tard
R6 Friggin Rocket Ship
CRMA Lic #622

Slovy congrats on getting out there and mixing it up!!

"Racing is life... everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in 'Le Mans'
Jredford is offline   Reply With Quote