MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
TheBeeDeeGee
Senior Member
 
TheBeeDeeGee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Katy
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 529

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 CBR 600 F4i
2001 RC51 *sold :(
2002 VFR 800 *sold
2002 919 *sold
2006 599 * wrecked






Cheap track bike?

After seeing how hot my VFR got just doing the parade lap at MSRH I got to thinking about finding a cheap track ready bike instead of using my main bike, maybe an SV or even a ninja 250?

I can't find many on CL, is there a site people advertise track bikes for sale specifically? I thought I had heard that mentioned on here before.
TheBeeDeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone have a Spare bike or track bike I can use at a track day?? Adamhijazi1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 37 09-22-2014 11:04 AM
Cheap track bike options itsarjun Taking it to the Track 58 12-16-2011 12:32 PM
Cheap Track Bike (!st Gen SV650) Jason_Canuck Taking it to the Track 3 10-27-2010 08:38 PM
Cheap Track Bike (SV650) Jason_Canuck General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 10-20-2010 08:06 AM
Where are all the cheap track bikes Swift E General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 08-17-2006 10:17 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
SafetyLimiter
Senior Member
 
SafetyLimiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Spring
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 487

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
07' Vulcan Classic 1600
06' CBR 600f4i Stolen
99' Kawasaki ZX6 SOLD
03 GSXR 1000 Traded

Member Garage


http://weraclassifieds.com/ad-catego...#axzz2UVarJcaF

Is a start but you might have to get it shipped or pick it up. Heck you might even find some on here for cheap. Even if its not tack ready you can make that way.
SafetyLimiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
switch
two fifty
 
switch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,237

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 10+











both an SV or a ninja 250 would make great track bikes. if you're looking for something already track ready, search the WERA and CMRA boards. you're other option, and probably the better one, is to find the bike you want on craigslist, pick it up for cheap, and convert it to track yourself. our mini endurance 250 was picked up on craigslist for $700. threw on some clip-ons, rearsets, crashed out bodywork, and voila! race bike!
__________________
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #4
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 16,368

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide






I've got a really well prepped F4 for $2500.00:

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=255781
__________________
Call or PM for the BEST PRICES in Houston for PARTS and ACCESSORIES.
MAKE SURE TO MENTION YOU'RE ON MH TO GET THE BEST PRICE!

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!


muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
TheBeeDeeGee
Senior Member
 
TheBeeDeeGee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Katy
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 529

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 CBR 600 F4i
2001 RC51 *sold :(
2002 VFR 800 *sold
2002 919 *sold
2006 599 * wrecked






Quote:
Originally Posted by switch View Post
both an SV or a ninja 250 would make great track bikes. if you're looking for something already track ready, search the WERA and CMRA boards. you're other option, and probably the better one, is to find the bike you want on craigslist, pick it up for cheap, and convert it to track yourself. our mini endurance 250 was picked up on craigslist for $700. threw on some clip-ons, rearsets, crashed out bodywork, and voila! race bike!
I'm tempted to find a 250, I know it would be a blast to start with, but I feel like I may get tired of the lack of power after a few track days. I think it would be perfect for MSRH, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyLimiter View Post
http://weraclassifieds.com/ad-catego...#axzz2UVarJcaF



Is a start but you might have to get it shipped or pick it up. Heck you might even find some on here for cheap. Even if its not tack ready you can make that way.
THanks, yeah this is what I was looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I've got a really well prepped F4 for $2500.00:

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=255781
hmmm, this is interesting. I may have to check this out in person.
TheBeeDeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
Tojo92
AKA Mongo
 
Tojo92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Cedar Park, TX
Feedback Rating: (7)
Posts: 5,142

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II






You also may want to PM Jredford. He may have a newer R6 he is selling at a great price soon.
__________________
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
switch
two fifty
 
switch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,237

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 10+











oh, and sheila paul has an R6 for sale as well. i can get you in contact with her if needed.
__________________
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
TheBeeDeeGee
Senior Member
 
TheBeeDeeGee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Katy
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 529

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 CBR 600 F4i
2001 RC51 *sold :(
2002 VFR 800 *sold
2002 919 *sold
2006 599 * wrecked






Oh and I guess I should mention, I want to be $3000 or below, and hopefully come with at least some stands and what not
TheBeeDeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
351fox
BRAWP BRAWP
 
351fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 558

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+


06 gsxr 750








If you want to stay under 3k with stands, it is going to be tough to beat the bike Patrick posted. If not, keep checking wera/cmra/here/hpc/wfo/craigslist and wait for a good deal to pop up.
__________________
351fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #10
Jredford
Rotsevnieht
 
Jredford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,038

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
FZ1
R1200RT
CRF450X Tard
R6 Friggin Rocket Ship
CRMA Lic #622






I have a 2004 r6 with a 2008 front end. Just put Ohlins in the forks. P1 completed the upgrade less than a month ago.

The bike is track ready and ran low 1:40's at MSRH yesterday. Race ready and completelyl safety wired.

I am asking $3300. Can send pics if interested.
__________________


"Racing is life... everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in 'Le Mans'
Jredford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #11
x-ray
CMRA #228
 
x-ray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NW Houston (Jersey Village area)
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 1,084

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Super Adventure
2007 SV650S (My track toy)
07 CRF230F
2006 VFR800a (sold - covered a lot of miles)
04 Honda 599 (sold)



How hot did the VFR get? I have an 06 that's street only and I regularly see 220-225 in street riding at lights and slow traffic until and road opens up (the fan kicks on at 220). The side mounted radiators on the VFR require some speed and airflow to be effective for the ram air to push the air through and for the side panels to create suction too. Plus if the fan comes on, then it's fighting the natural air flow because the fan blows inward instead of pulling it out of the body. I didn't watch the parade laps but you just may not have been at efficient speeds for good cooling. BUT, the VFR800 is naturally a fairly hot bike. "Nut roaster" comes to mind as well with the rear cylinders.

Having bought my own stock SV650s for the track a few years ago and after doing upgrades for the track, a I can say that Patrick's F4 is a steal. I got my SV for barely $4000 (an 07 with less then 10k miles on it) and I've upgraded it with very similar stuff that he says is on the F4.... All the upgrades added up to more than he's asking for his bike.

I don't regret going the path I did because I did it partly for the experience of doing the improvements, but it does add up.
__________________
Sloan - Iron # 42900
2015 KTM Super Adventure
07 Suzuki SV650s - CMRA #228
x-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #12
TheBeeDeeGee
Senior Member
 
TheBeeDeeGee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Katy
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 529

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 CBR 600 F4i
2001 RC51 *sold :(
2002 VFR 800 *sold
2002 919 *sold
2006 599 * wrecked






Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray View Post
How hot did the VFR get? I have an 06 that's street only and I regularly see 220-225 in street riding at lights and slow traffic until and road opens up (the fan kicks on at 220). The side mounted radiators on the VFR require some speed and airflow to be effective for the ram air to push the air through and for the side panels to create suction too. Plus if the fan comes on, then it's fighting the natural air flow because the fan blows inward instead of pulling it out of the body. I didn't watch the parade laps but you just may not have been at efficient speeds for good cooling. BUT, the VFR800 is naturally a fairly hot bike. "Nut roaster" comes to mind as well with the rear cylinders.

Having bought my own stock SV650s for the track a few years ago and after doing upgrades for the track, a I can say that Patrick's F4 is a steal. I got my SV for barely $4000 (an 07 with less then 10k miles on it) and I've upgraded it with very similar stuff that he says is on the F4.... All the upgrades added up to more than he's asking for his bike.

I don't regret going the path I did because I did it partly for the experience of doing the improvements, but it does add up.
I think I saw 238 at one point. It usually gets up to the mid 220s on a hot day sitting in traffic. I just dunno if the VFR is a good track bike. I would hate to wreck it. I'd rather have a cheap bike for the track. I saw a 250 for sale on CL for$1k that needed the tank cleaned out from sitting, but I just feel like I'd get tired of a 250.
TheBeeDeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #13
signpimp
Senior Member
 
signpimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 781

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2002 klx110









Send a message via MSN to signpimp
Just my $0.02.
I'm surprised more people haven't chimed in, but that deal Patrick has should be a no brainer. $2500 for a fully prepped track bike with the nice add-ons it has...That's a great deal! If it's your first track bike, you couldn't tell the difference between that bike and a 10 year newer bike with the same setup. It's already been sorted out. All you do is put gas and go. Save yourself the headaches of searching people's leftovers on craigslist. Buy from a respected shop and get help from him in the long run on any setup you may need for your weight/riding style.
signpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #14
rhenriksen
Senior Member
 
rhenriksen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rice Military, Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 983

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'07 Bandit 1250
'03 CBR 600 racebike (parting out)
2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848
1984 Honda V65 Sabre (stolen)






Quote:
Originally Posted by signpimp View Post
Just my $0.02.
I'm surprised more people haven't chimed in, but that deal Patrick has should be a no brainer. $2500 for a fully prepped track bike with the nice add-ons it has...That's a great deal! If it's your first track bike, you couldn't tell the difference between that bike and a 10 year newer bike with the same setup. It's already been sorted out. All you do is put gas and go. Save yourself the headaches of searching people's leftovers on craigslist. Buy from a respected shop and get help from him in the long run on any setup you may need for your weight/riding style.
+1, sounds like a no-brainer to me. My current, and first, dedicated track bike is an '03 CBR with some '06 upgrades and aftermarket bits. It's PLENTY of bike for me, going to take me a very long time to out grow it, if ever.
rhenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #15
x-ray
CMRA #228
 
x-ray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NW Houston (Jersey Village area)
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 1,084

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Super Adventure
2007 SV650S (My track toy)
07 CRF230F
2006 VFR800a (sold - covered a lot of miles)
04 Honda 599 (sold)



Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeeDeeGee View Post
I think I saw 238 at one point. It usually gets up to the mid 220s on a hot day sitting in traffic. I just dunno if the VFR is a good track bike. I would hate to wreck it. I'd rather have a cheap bike for the track. I saw a 250 for sale on CL for$1k that needed the tank cleaned out from sitting, but I just feel like I'd get tired of a 250.
I think 245 is redline on the temp, so yeah, that's pretty high. Mine hit 232 once on a stalled 290 HOV lane one summer so me and about 5 other bikes started moving up beside the cars to get some air. And I can say from experience that yes the VFR800 is expensive to fix, especially if you keep it street legal. And of course performance upgrades are available, but not as plentiful as other bikes. Plus it's just plain heavy. Having ridden both my VFR and SV650 aggressively on the road, the VFR powers away from the SV on the straights but becomes a pig compared to the SV in the corners.
__________________
Sloan - Iron # 42900
2015 KTM Super Adventure
07 Suzuki SV650s - CMRA #228
x-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #16
BigComfy
Senior Member
 
BigComfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: under a rock
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 24,335

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage


SV all day. It's fun to pass 600 and liter bikes with a near 65-85hp
BigComfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #17
Ek
Senior Member
 
Ek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (7)
Posts: 1,175

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
SV 650
KTM 125sx
Harley Street Bob
Husky 610 Tard
Vino 125






Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I've got a really well prepped F4 for $2500.00:

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=255781
That's one of a deal to get into track days.
Ek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #18
TheBeeDeeGee
Senior Member
 
TheBeeDeeGee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Katy
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 529

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 CBR 600 F4i
2001 RC51 *sold :(
2002 VFR 800 *sold
2002 919 *sold
2006 599 * wrecked






Quote:
Originally Posted by signpimp View Post
Just my $0.02.
I'm surprised more people haven't chimed in, but that deal Patrick has should be a no brainer. $2500 for a fully prepped track bike with the nice add-ons it has...That's a great deal! If it's your first track bike, you couldn't tell the difference between that bike and a 10 year newer bike with the same setup. It's already been sorted out. All you do is put gas and go. Save yourself the headaches of searching people's leftovers on craigslist. Buy from a respected shop and get help from him in the long run on any setup you may need for your weight/riding style.

ahh man I wanna do eeettt. I'm going out of town for work tomorrow unfortunately so I can't go look at it. If it's still around when I get back in 4 days I'm going to look at it.
TheBeeDeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:21 PM   #19
switch
two fifty
 
switch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,237

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 10+











Quote:
Originally Posted by Jredford View Post
I have a 2004 r6 with a 2008 front end. Just put Ohlins in the forks. P1 completed the upgrade less than a month ago.

The bike is track ready and ran low 1:40's at MSRH yesterday. Race ready and completelyl safety wired.

I am asking $3300. Can send pics if interested.
this is also a good deal, from a good seller.
__________________
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #20
Jason_Canuck
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 3,829

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
A black one
and a red one








I have an 01 chassi/03 motor GSXR 600 Track only I'd let go for $2K.
__________________
Vegans are eating the solution to global warming!
Jason_Canuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy