Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
nilnwahs

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
HP4
Speed Triple R

Let's talk about ABS

I am not sure this topic has been discussed before, but here it goes.

I rode MSRH yesterday CW. I went a little hot at the pit straight and of course I grabbed a handful of brake, the front wheel locked up, ABS kicked in, and I am still going forward. Luckily I scrubbed enough speed to make the turn into the gut check. I think the ABS did not help in this scenario, I really thought I wan't going to stop fast enough.

On the same scenario, I also went too hot at the carousel. While the bike was leaning over, I also grabbed the brake, ABS also kicked in, I knew my bacon was probably saved by the ABS from a front end lowside.

Now, other than being a better rider, what do you think about the ABS. Good for the track, bad for the track? Any input is welcome.

Ps, I rode in novice.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ABS Vs. Non ABS FowleR6 General Discussion (Moto Related) 98 10-06-2012 01:10 PM
Fiberglass or ABS Infinite General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 07-06-2010 10:41 AM
Fiberglass or ABS Dreamer!? General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 02-09-2010 01:40 PM
ABS Test Bevo General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 05-04-2009 07:39 AM
ABS coming soon bdmpastx Safety Corner Main 11 10-22-2008 12:39 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Sounds like Honda's ABS works much better than yours
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
scoutguy
pack leeder

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Rocket III
95 Triumph Thunderbird
96 Triumph Daytona 1200-now Tojo92's toy
95 Triumph Speed Triple
KTM 990 ADV

Me thinks you need to learn a little more braking control. Have ABS on other bikes including Triumphs, start to plan your corners. Just try to think if that ABS hadn't kicked in were you would have ended up-it did what it was supposed to do.
scoutguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
x-ray
CMRA #228

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Super Adventure
2007 SV650S (My track toy)
07 CRF230F
2006 VFR800a (sold - covered a lot of miles)
04 Honda 599 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilnwahs View Post
Now, other than being a better rider, what do you think about the ABS. Good for the track, bad for the track? Any input is welcome.
I think it depends on the ABS. I ride a VFR800abs on the streets, and that ABS and its linked brake systems (practically the same as on the ST1300 and Gold Wing as well) is definitely made for the street. And it works great. But take the ABS system that they now have on the CBR's and it's optimized to be used in a track environment. The VFR's system is mainly designed for straight up and down braking and not in a corner. Of course its design and technology is several years older and therefore less sophisticated then the CBR system. I'm not sure where yours ranks in there.

Also, and check your MOM for this, but the Honda's plainly say that ABS can result in LONGER braking distances in dry conditions. But generally that's with a pro level rider and the ABS can still stop faster in any conditions than a regular rider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Sounds like Honda's ABS works much better than yours
That's the best way to sum it up.
07 Suzuki SV650s - CMRA #228
x-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
zhukov

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 250R - Sold
2006 ZX6R

Hey Shawn, I'm they guy with the maroon bike you pitted next to yesterday. I've never ridden an ABS bike, but IMHO you probably just need to slow down much earlier. I remember in novice I never went fast on the straights (on a 250 though) and pretty much just rolled into the corners with minimal braking. Slow in fast out seems much easier for someone like me with limited skill.
zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
scoutguy
pack leeder

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Rocket III
95 Triumph Thunderbird
96 Triumph Daytona 1200-now Tojo92's toy
95 Triumph Speed Triple
KTM 990 ADV

[
Quote:
QUOTE=zhukov;3578635]Hey Shawn, I'm they guy with the maroon bike you pitted next to yesterday. I've never ridden an ABS bike, but IMHO you probably just need to slow down much earlier. I remember in novice I never went fast on the straights (on a 250 though) and pretty much just rolled into the corners with minimal braking. Slow in fast out seems much easier for someone like me with limited skill.
[/QUOTE]

This pretty much sums it up
scoutguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

I turn ABS off on my bike. I've actually bypassed the abs pump recently as well since its a race bike only. When youre pushing the pace abs will make the front feel like it has chatter... itll pulsate at the lever. Turn abs off on the track. Or slow down and brake easier... But that's no fun.

I don't know any fast guys that use abs on the track.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
Slovy
BRAWP Racing

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2003 Honda CBR 600rr

Quote:
I am not sure this topic has been discussed before, but here it goes.

I rode MSRH yesterday CW. I went a little hot at the pit straight and of course I grabbed a handful of brake, the front wheel locked up, ABS kicked in, and I am still going forward. Luckily I scrubbed enough speed to make the turn into the gut check. I think the ABS did not help in this scenario, I really thought I wan't going to stop fast enough.

On the same scenario, I also went too hot at the carousel. While the bike was leaning over, I also grabbed the brake, ABS also kicked in, I knew my bacon was probably saved by the ABS from a front end lowside.

Ps, I rode in novice.
all i was working on yesterday was not using the brakes.... and its pretty easy to do! if your cooking into the "gut check from the pit straight" then there is something wrong and your already off the track :P

but seriously, next time you go to the track, try to use the brakes as little as possible! it really helps you smooth out your riding...

remember, everyone can go fast on the straights.... EVERYONE.

dont be that guy that parks it in the turns, I hate that guy.

as for abs? i wouldnt know, i dont have abs traction control, a steering damper or a slipper clutch? why? because im a man :P

.....a very poor man.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #9
Truckin_Thumper

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050
WR426 Blue Hooligan Motard ---once back together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slovy View Post
all i was working on yesterday was not using the brakes.... and its pretty easy to do! if your cooking into the "gut check from the pit straight" then there is something wrong and your already off the track :P

but seriously, next time you go to the track, try to use the brakes as little as possible! it really helps you smooth out your riding...

remember, everyone can go fast on the straights.... EVERYONE.

dont be that guy that parks it in the turns, I hate that guy.

as for abs? i wouldnt know, i dont have abs traction control, a steering damper or a slipper clutch? why? because im a man :P

.....a very poor man.
I think I am going to have to disagree with you on the use of brakes when "racing".

From my personal experience, throttle and brake are very relative. Meaning you use both to get yourself to a manageable speed.

You cannot go fast without knowing how to brake, be it hard, moderate or soft. To give you a visual......

MotoGP DSC 0163

Knowing the bike helps........A LOT, AND practice, practice practice.

Brake technology has come a looooooong way, there is a reason for that.

How do you think the motard guys back it in?
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #10
zpooch

Bike(s):
2000 XR650R
2002 Suzuki DRZ 400e
2001 Kawi ZRX1200R
2005 Speed Triple (Traded) 2009 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V (sold)
2000 Monster 900Sie (sold) 2002 RC51 (sold)

ABS is not for the track, and in my opinion has no place on naked bikes. Most of these naked bikes they make now are missing the point.

But anyway, your bike should have more than enough braking power at novice speeds where you shouldn't be having a problem with the abs kicking in. Like others have said, be smooth on the brakes, nothing abrupt
zpooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:18 PM   #11
Truckin_Thumper

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpooch View Post
ABS is not for the track, and in my opinion has no place on naked bikes. Most of these naked bikes they make now are missing the point.

But anyway, your bike should have more than enough braking power at novice speeds where you shouldn't be having a problem with the abs kicking in. Like others have said, be smooth on the brakes, nothing abrupt
ABS is as much of a learning tool as being on a track.

Both will help you become a better rider. Once you know how to brake, ditch ABS.....JMHO.

I have built in ABS in my right hand and right foot.....about as dependable as a mechanical device too
Old 05-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #12
Slovy
BRAWP Racing

Bike(s):
2003 Honda CBR 600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper View Post
I think I am going to have to disagree with you on the use of brakes when "racing".

From my personal experience, throttle and brake are very relative. Meaning you use both to get yourself to a manageable speed.

You cannot go fast without knowing how to brake, be it hard, moderate or soft. To give you a visual......

MotoGP DSC 0163

Knowing the bike helps........A LOT, AND practice, practice practice.

Brake technology has come a looooooong way, there is a reason for that.

How do you think the motard guys back it in?
lol im sorry thumper, I was meaning I myself was trying to use the least amount of braking possible its what ive been told to due during my training sessions with kris, i wasn't trying to imply that you infact should never use brakes that the track.

simply just learning to be smooth before i get fast ya know?
Old 05-27-2013, 11:18 PM   #13
ZX-Dominance

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1 (wifey)
2007 ZX-6R (track)
2008 Speed Triple White Knight (sold)
2008 CBR1000RR "Red Rocket"
2005 SV1000S (sold)

+1 for doing "no brake" drills.

I dropped quite a few seconds of my
Lap times after practicing using as little brake as possible (when I moved from 1 to 2). If you are still riding lvl 1 or slow lvl 2 pace- learning your limits without braking is a great tool. Obviously they are necessary later on, but are only hindering you now. Don't focus on straight speed- work on entry/lines and smoothness. I'll be taking
My speedie to the next TD to do some "relaxed" session between runs
On the zx
ZX-Dominance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:18 AM   #14
Slovy
BRAWP Racing

Bike(s):
2003 Honda CBR 600rr

yeah honestly you could do 90-100 in the straights and for you that more than enough.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #15
nilnwahs

Bike(s):
HP4
Speed Triple R

Thanks for all the input. Apparently, I just need to be a better rider. I will turn off the ABS next time and play with it.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #16
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Thanks for all the input. Apparently, I just need to be a better rider. I will turn off the ABS next time and play with it.
Just turn it off.

You can be as smooth as butter but if you're trail braking and carrying lean angle with brake pressure (like you should be) the ABS is going to activate. It has nothing to do with being a better rider. It has nothing to do with Honda ABS, vs BMW, vs Trimuph etc. As a matter of fact, better riders trail brake. You make the bike turn better by setting the geoetry of the bike with your front brake. Apply the brakes, the front dives and the bike is easier to turn. Additionally, this provides a larger contact patch with the front tire giving you more traction. Slowly give back brake pressure as you add lean angle so that you are off the brakes when you are at maximum lean.This is how you ride a motorcycle on the track. It's fundamental but for whatever reason it doesn't get emphasized much. We're not talking about "The Pace" here and riding back roads without braking.. we're talking about the race track. If you want to go into a corner and turn in off the brakes with less contact patch then that's on you. But don't come on the forums crying about how your front "washed out" and there must've been something on the track and brand of tires suck.

GL out there!

Last edited by cdill35; 05-28-2013 at 08:41 AM.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:04 AM   #17
Truckin_Thumper

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050

Quote:
no, leave it on. It obviously saved yer bacon.
When you no longer need the ABS due to skill improvement, then turn it off.

Track days are training, never skimp on training. Use all the tools you have.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:12 AM   #18
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

I have never had ABS... but when i get too old to ride a bike, I will get a trike and my trike must have ABS.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #19
GrayJ
Do a barrel roll!

Bike(s):
2004 SV650
1998 Shadow 1100
2005 CRF450R tard
2007 CRF50
Yamaha PW 50

Out of the two people giving on track ABS advice ^, I think I know who I would listen to.
GrayJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement