MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #61
LCLF Brain
Mamaaaa! Yeah, mama!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2014 stage 4 Street Glide
2011 Heritage Softail (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
If you read through the thread there's lots of guys that think they can produce a gun at the slightest sign of conflict as a deterrent.
That's not only foolish as it may cause the conflict to escalate, esp. if the op is armed, but it's also illegal and can land them in hot water.
I think a lot of the people here are pretty tough behind the keyboard. IF that were to actually translate into any kind of RL situation, then they would be going to jail too, and how will that idealism work for you then, eh?

The basics of self defense and use of deadly force are this...

You can use it IF - and this is a big if - there is a credible and immediate threat to life.

Yes, someone can get beat to death. We all know this. Was he? The fact dad got hit in the face does not mean son can kill the guy. The threat will be examined. You cannot go all tough guy and bloviate in court at your trial "Well, I DON'T AGREE WITH YOU." Doesn't matter what YOU think. What matters is what the jury thinks.

Everything must be reasonable. Dad and biker getting into a road rage incident, dad going onto biker's driveway, getting roughed up, son coming up with a gun, biker backing away hands up, son then killing biker... NOTHING about that shooting sounds reasonable to me.

What sounds reasonable to me is son producing gun, biker backing away, son getting dad, taking him home, getting an ambulance *maybe*, calling the police, and letting them do their jobs. Not "ZOMG You hit my dad BLAM BLAM BLAM!!!"

And when a guy throws his hands up backing away, you don't get to kill him anyway, even if he did hit your dad and his nose. If you do, you go to prison, just like this guy. If you do, you can always disagree as vehemently as you have in this thread. You can do that from the prison computer, I'm sure.

There needs to be a credible and active threat. Losing a fist fight you could have avoided doesn't get it.

7ef578b4e668724485ba633629c5f960
LCLF Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
motorcyclist robbed and shot last night RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 66 03-22-2014 12:11 PM
Motorcyclist Killed Last Night J.J. McQuade General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 01-03-2013 01:01 PM
Motorcyclist hits Truck Saturday night Fatality ParAvion General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 04-20-2009 07:09 AM
Why Murdered out? RojerLockless Off Topic 38 03-05-2009 01:40 PM
motorcyclist dies after attending funeral for another motorcyclist RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 11-05-2007 07:09 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #62
Houstonbussa

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
2003 Suzuki Marauder

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-Dominance View Post
I'm going to go with the earlier one. Don't follow a MFer to his house at 10:30 looking for trouble.. in TX.. that will get you shot.
Didn't the report say they were neighbors? Kind of hard NOT to follow him home when you live next door.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #63
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCLF Brain View Post
I think a lot of the people here are pretty tough behind the keyboard. IF that were to actually translate into any kind of RL situation, then they would be going to jail too, and how will that idealism work for you then, eh?

You can use it IF - and this is a big if - there is a credible and immediate threat to life.

Yes, someone can get beat to death. We all know this. Was he? The fact dad got hit in the face does not mean son can kill the guy. The threat will be examined. You cannot go all tough guy and bloviate in court at your trial "Well, I DON'T AGREE WITH YOU." Doesn't matter what YOU think. What matters is what the jury thinks.

Everything must be reasonable. Dad and biker getting into a road rage incident, dad going onto biker's driveway, getting roughed up, son coming up with a gun, biker backing away hands up, son then killing biker... NOTHING about that shooting sounds reasonable to me.

What sounds reasonable to me is son producing gun, biker backing away, son getting dad, taking him home, getting an ambulance *maybe*, calling the police, and letting them do their jobs. Not "ZOMG You hit my dad BLAM BLAM BLAM!!!"

And when a guy throws his hands up backing away, you don't get to kill him anyway, even if he did hit your dad and his nose. If you do, you go to prison, just like this guy. If you do, you can always disagree as vehemently as you have in this thread. You can do that from the prison computer, I'm sure.

There needs to be a credible and active threat. Losing a fist fight you could have avoided doesn't get it.

Thanks for illustrating my point from a LEO point of view.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #64
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solyjr View Post
For everyone saying, due to the guy raising his hands and backing up, should of ended it, well I don't know if you should be so quick.

Does it end there? Has the biker done in the past to provoke the neighbor, has he threatened him? He's the guys neighbor, and he could very well of been acting on a threat, the guy easily could of waited a day, or a week even, and methodically beat the living out of him as he was watering his lawn or something. The biker could of broke into the other guys house and sliced his throat while he was sleeping. Sure he was backing up with his hands, but what life threatening words were coming out of his mouth. What revenge was he planning in his head as he backed up? I don't think anyone thought of these types of details. And if he was a cruiser, leather-ed, rough and tough looking type of biker, I sure as would of done the same thing, no way do I want to die in my sleep or have my family stalked, raped, murdered or whatnot.

Don't ignore the fact that the biker was killed in front of his house, not the shooters. Something tells me that little tidbit of information may mean the biker was not the aggressor.

Now, while all of your "speculation" may have or have not some basis, in the eyes of the law you have killed an unarmed man in cold blood.
Welcome to the big house.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Old 05-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #65
Houstonbussa

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
2003 Suzuki Marauder

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Don't ignore the fact that the biker was killed in front of his house, not the shooters. Something tells me that little tidbit of information may mean the biker was not the aggressor.

Now, while all of your "speculation" may have or have not some basis, in the eyes of the law you have killed an unarmed man in cold blood.
Welcome to the big house.
I must have misread that. I thought it was in front of the shooter's house.

Thus makes it even worse on the shooter's part. So the dad attacked the biker in front of his house and sin to the "rescue" or did dad get beat up at home and shooter went next door?
Old 05-27-2013, 08:45 PM   #66
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):

From the news report:

the suspect's father got into a physical altercation on the road in front of the victim's house. Braughton allegedly came out of his residence carrying a handgun, the release said.

In my mind at least it shows that the father either a) was the aggressor or b) was responding to something the biker said. Either way, it was dumb on his part.

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090

Last edited by Patrick; 05-27-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #67
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

havent look at the legal code in awhile... but i seem to recall, the important sections start with "It is a defence against prosecution..."
Old 05-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #68
kenup283

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

Whatever happened to "speak softly but carry a big stick"

What's the moto out here, shoot first ask questions later... Lots of trigger happy people just looking for an excuse to shoot someone.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #69
cavenderjess

I have never posted on anything like this but the "biker" that was killed was my fiance'. He was an active duty Marine who JUST started his medical retirement for injuries he sustained in Iraq and Afghanistan. He was a 3 time combat veteran who retired from Wounded Warrior Battalion on the 12th of May----came home to Texas and was shot and killed in OUR FRONT YARD on the 24th-----I know everyone has these cute little comments about following someone home and looking for trouble....He was "following" him home because we were next door neighbors. REGARDLESS of what words were exchanged, someone else came into the mix with a gun and fired on an unarmed man----a man who was a 27 year old HERO and VETERAN and FATHER, SON, BROTHER, COUSIN, SOULMATE. Lest we never forget! RIP MANNY
cavenderjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #70
ormand
Deelish!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavenderjess View Post
I have never posted on anything like this but the "biker" that was killed was my fiance'. He was an active duty Marine who JUST started his medical retirement for injuries he sustained in Iraq and Afghanistan. He was a 3 time combat veteran who retired from Wounded Warrior Battalion on the 12th of May----came home to Texas and was shot and killed in OUR FRONT YARD on the 24th-----I know everyone has these cute little comments about following someone home and looking for trouble....He was "following" him home because we were next door neighbors. REGARDLESS of what words were exchanged, someone else came into the mix with a gun and fired on an unarmed man----a man who was a 27 year old HERO and VETERAN and FATHER, SON, BROTHER, COUSIN, SOULMATE. Lest we never forget! RIP MANNY
Sorry for your loss and I wish you joined MH under better circumstances
Old 07-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #71
CBRguyIZcool
UkrainianSicilian100%Nerd

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
H-D Sportster 48

Send a message via AIM to CBRguyIZcool
Prayers for your family.
CBRguyIZcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #72
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormand View Post
agreed, RIP war hero

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #73
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Wow. Sorry for your loss
Old 07-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #74
jakeg

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 3 years

Sorry for your loss.

Such a tragic event that could have been avoided.
jakeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #75
green600
HG Chairperson

Experience: 1-3 months

Quote:

You seem to have a different stance in the zimmerman case.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #76
green600
HG Chairperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormand View Post
+1
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:53 AM   #77
LCLF Brain
Mamaaaa! Yeah, mama!

Bike(s):
2014 stage 4 Street Glide
2011 Heritage Softail (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 826 View Post
You seem to have a different stance in the zimmerman case.
Not at all. The Zimmerman case presents a lot of different legal issues, namely provability, but to the perpetually emo I'm sure they can seem the same.

7ef578b4e668724485ba633629c5f960
LCLF Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #78
_Iceman_
Aerobatics Junkie

Bike(s):
Ducati 1098
Honda ZR50
Blata 2.5

Quote:

www.s2kdj.com
_Iceman_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:04 AM   #79
Joshua42007

Bike(s):
06' GSX-R 1000

Quote:

Sorry to hear about your loss May he rest in peace.
Joshua42007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:36 AM   #80
IrvGotti421
IrvGotti"MadMan"Maserati

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
Yamaha FZ6R total'd
2008 CBR 600rr Current bike
or
2016 CBR 600rr (lol)

Quote:
sorry for your loss and he is in a better place riding the best roads and enjoying the world in a different way. you will see him again one day

Burn rubber, not your soul
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quema goma, no tu alma
IrvGotti421 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement