MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #21
jwreck

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
06 Speed Triple-sold

We need to know the REALLY pertinent details, what are the races of the two people involved? Is there any way for for Al Sharpton to turn this into a national incident?
motorcyclist robbed and shot last night RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 66 03-22-2014 12:11 PM
Motorcyclist Killed Last Night J.J. McQuade General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 01-03-2013 01:01 PM
Motorcyclist hits Truck Saturday night Fatality ParAvion General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 04-20-2009 07:09 AM
Why Murdered out? RojerLockless Off Topic 38 03-05-2009 01:40 PM
motorcyclist dies after attending funeral for another motorcyclist RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 11-05-2007 07:09 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #22
jwreck

Bike(s):
06 Speed Triple-sold

Been charged with murder now.
http://www.khou.com/news/crime/HCSO-...208943531.html

Quote:
A 21-year-old man faces a murder charge after deputies said he allegedly shot another man during an altercation late Friday night in northeast Harris County.
Christopher Ernest Braughton was arrested and charged with murder. He remains in the Harris County jail.
According to the Harris County Sheriff’s Office, at about 10:25 p.m. patrol units from the Precinct 4 Constable’s Office responded to a shooting in progress in the 23700 block of Greenland Oak Court.
It was reported that two men, one driving a small car and another riding a motorcycle, were involved in an incident of road rage and had got into a physical altercation, deputies said.
Braughton, the son of the man driving the small vehicle, exited his residence with a handgun, investigators said. The motorcycle rider began backing away with his hands in the air when Braughton fired his handgun, striking the victim once on the torso.
EMS was called to the scene and pronounced the victim dead.
HCSO homicide investigators said that the victim and Braughton are neighbors.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #23
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
So what if verbally assalt someone... tell them to off or whatever and they knock your teeth out for it.. you gonna shoot them now? Or take the whoopin' your mouth got you into?

Not you specifically, but in general I think there is a huge pussification of America in this respect. People want to run their mouths, verbally assault people, cut them off in traffic, brake check people etc and when confronted either want to shoot somebody or call the police.

I say take the whoopin.
im 50 years old, have carried for many years, am very level headed and dont go around people off. its worked well for me so far.
point being, if an whoopin/murderin is coming my way, its not gonna be because I am instigating, that being said, i will view it as underserved harm or death coming my way and will use deadly force to stop it.
Not gonna shoot you across the yard , only if I am in defense for my life. Just dont attack me and we wont have to worry with defining it. simple

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:28 PM   #24
texasyankee

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Harley Low Rider
Kawi ZX6R (Track)

Since the victim and the shooter are neighbors, there is a lot more to this story than has been in the paper. There has to be a history of animosity.
texasyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #25
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasyankee View Post
Since the victim and the shooter are neighbors, there is a lot more to this story than has been in the paper. There has to be a history of animosity.
no matter what, he shot a man backing away with hands raised, hes goin' to the pokey no doubt.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
Old 05-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #26
debit_debit
Dat photoshoop

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki Gsx-r 600
2005 Suzuki Gsx-r 600
1986 Honda VF500F

the DA office will probably end up pursuing manslaughter instead of murder. sounds like the defendant lawyered up from the beginning. they have the fact that only one shot was fired going for them, and since there's a history with the victim, that makes it a complicated case.

too much Law & Order..

either way, shooting someone with backing away with their hands in the air is complete bullshit. nobody should have to die like that.
debit_debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:29 PM   #27
jimmy the gent
wich u gon do?

Experience: 7 years

Lesson: better be fast enough to shoot before person has a a chance to put their hands in the air.

― Mark Twain
jimmy the gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:29 PM   #28
rhenriksen

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'07 Bandit 1250
'03 CBR 600 racebike (parting out)
2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848
1984 Honda V65 Sabre (stolen)

Can you show me the section of the Tx penal code that makes these codifications of assault? I can't find it.

I went to a seminar on the Tx laws on use of force & deadly force, and the attorney explained that justified use of deadly force boils down to what a reasonable person believes is a credible, imminent threat of death or serious bodily injury.

If a 6'5", 280# 25 year old thug strikes a 90#, 78 year old granny, are you seriously going to stand there are say that she can't defend herself w a firearm because he's using an empty hand?

Do you know more about the circumstances of this incident than are included in the news reports? For all we know, the father was 50, diabetic, and frail. The biker could have been a 300 pound Bandito, instead of an 18 year old MHer on a Ninja 250.

Of course the shooter is screwed because the biker was backing off. I agree w that completely. And, GENERALLY SPEAKING, I agree w you about the pussification of America. But I think you're a) incorrect about Texas law, and b) overstating your case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
See that's where escalation comes into effect.
An empty hand is just plain assault.
Weapon in hand, whether is be a tire iron, bat or gun, is assault with a deadly weapon.
At that time deadly force can be used if necessary.
That said, IF the assailant is much weaker/unable to defend themselves than a gun may be used as a deterrent.
However, once it's purpose as a deterrent has been fulfilled and the person perpetuating the assault has stopped, it should stop there.
Shooting a man who has his hands up and is backing away is murder.

It's not gun culture, it's dumbasses.
These same people would use bows and arrows, knives, bats or tire irons if guns weren't available. Making them no less deadly in their intent.

The problem isn't gun culture, as the media would lead you to believe. It's just the plain stupidity/pussification of America where one man can't/won't hold his own in a fist fight any longer.
rhenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:49 PM   #29
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

No codification of law, merely common sense.
Note that I did put the qualifying statement in my previous post: IF the assailant is much weaker/unable to defend themselves than a gun may be used as a deterrent.
So in your case of the frail diabetic vs the 300 lb. Bandido than deadly force would be reasonable.
At the end of the day that's the key isn't it; reasonable.
A reasonable man does not pull a gun on an unarmed man unless there is a threat of loss of life. A reasonable man does not shoot an unarmed man if that man is no longer a threat; i.e. discontinues the assault, let alone backs away with hands raised.
There was a significant absence of reason in this case

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com

Last edited by Patrick; 05-25-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:09 AM   #30
darranwil
Rev_Psilocybe

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2004 Buell Xb12s
2002 Buell Blast-(sold)
87 Honda Rebel 450 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhenriksen View Post
Do you know more about the circumstances of this incident than are included in the news reports? For all we know, the father was 50, diabetic, and frail. The biker could have been a 300 pound Bandito, instead of an 18 year old MHer on a Ninja 250.
Bandito? as in Mexican outlaw?

or

Bandido? as in US MC club member?
Old 05-26-2013, 06:27 AM   #31
kenup283

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

wasnt there a story about a few months back of a rider getting choked out by his neighbor in pasadena...

This story might as well read, two neighbors got in fight, kid of the one loosing the fight shot and killed the other. Police on the scene saw a motorcycle in driveway and figured it was just a matter of time before biker would be killed one way or another so initially did not arrest the shooter. Neighbors told detectives the next morning, hey we saw him backing up with hands in the air, come get this punk, we dont like them either...
Old 05-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #32
LCLF Brain
Mamaaaa! Yeah, mama!

Bike(s):
2014 stage 4 Street Glide
2011 Heritage Softail (sold)

The key to this whole case is whether the rider's hands were in the air and he was backing away or not.

Period.

You can use deadly force to counter a threat to the life of someone else. BUT - Once that threat is over, it's over.

In this case, it was over. The kid shot anyway. That is murder. You present a gun, someone throws their hands up, you shoot, you committed murder.

I doubt very seriously if the DA's office will accept a manslaughter plea. Manslaughter is when you kill someone by an unintentional act or omission. Drive like a , accidentally run someone over, that. Pulling a trigger is a conscious, intentional act.

7ef578b4e668724485ba633629c5f960
LCLF Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #33
SANCHO

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 Big Bear Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by darranwil View Post

I've tend to notice people who feel they need a gun to survive never grew up with them. Never killed and slaughtered (cleaned) an animal. And for some reason, tend to bark loud and buck up but can't fight for .
+1
I get exactly what you are saying. My wife freaks out that I want our kids(none yet) to be exposed to hunting and processing animals. When we are at my parents house processing our different game it grosses her out and thinks its cruel that my nieces and nephews have to help. Best way anyone can learn what carnage a firearm will cause.
SANCHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #34
eltejano
I smell pretty

Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

the fact that the guy was unarmed means . I have seen a gigantic Thug just pummel an unarmed man and kill him. Poor little guy stood no chance.

I am sorry but why should I fight if I don't want to and am not interested in being hurt.i can hold my own but why should I be forced to even chance it. Why don't cops go toe to toe? They will just shoot you, should make zero difference with anyone else.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #35
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

^^^ agreed

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
[/QUOTE]
Old 05-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #36
DAT GUY

Bike(s):
81 XS650
95 Sportster 1200-sold
07 650R-sold

Not too far from my place and looks like REAL close to icecream mans casa. Wonder if he knows anything about it
DAT GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #37
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
I am sorry but why should I fight if I don't want to and am not interested in being hurt.i can hold my own but why should I be forced to even chance it. Why don't cops go toe to toe? They will just shoot you, should make zero difference with anyone else.
Guess I grew up differently. It was pretty rough and tumble till I left N.O. and joined the Army. It was rare that one of us didn't get into a fight at least once a month, more often in the summer.
Even when I came back home in my mid-20's, there would be some kind of a knock-around every now and then.
It was rare anyone pulled a knife, let alone a gun.
Sure, a couple of people went to the hospital, and I went to school or work more than a few times with a busted lip or cracked ribs, but no one ever died from it.

Now I've carried a gun, not so legally and then legally, once CHL's came about, since I was 18.
Here's the thing, even with growing up/living in that type of environment for almost 20 years, the only person I ever shot outside of the Army was when I was 15, and that was inside of my house defending myself from a much larger armed intruder.

Too many people use a gun as a crutch imo instead of using it properly as a tool.
You wouldn't use a sledge hammer to drive a finishing nail would you?

The 21 year old shooter doesn't appear to be a 90 lb. weakling, so if it's 2 against one, him and his father, why would he need a gun to stop a fight, let alone shoot the biker after the fight was over.

One last caveat, most of the discussion here has ASSUMED that the biker was the aggressor or that we had a physical advantage over the father.

The news report states:
Quote:
the suspect's father got into a physical altercation on the road in front of the victim's house. Braughton allegedly came out of his residence carrying a handgun, the release said.
So the fight occurred in front of the bikers house.

What if the biker simply pulled over to respond to the op's threat, or had been blocked by the guys car?
What if the father actually initiated the attack on the biker?
What if the father was much larger than the biker?
Now the biker has been shot for defending himself?
It's a slippery slope.

My Dad, a 23 year career U.S. Army Warrant Officer with 2 tours in Vietnam and a then few other holes once told me this:
"When you kill a man, you take away everything from him, all he's ever been, and all he ever will be."
Something to think about before you pull a gun on someone.

I'm 51 now. Would I pull a gun on a kid half my age looking for a fight?
More than likely not, unless my kids/wife were also in peril, and only then if I couldn't handle the situation, either by talking it down/diffusing it, or disabling the threat/felt my life was in jeopardy.

We're not talking about a random assault with intent to rob etc. here, we're talking about a case of road rage, and in this case it appears as though it was between 2 known parties.

To those of you stating you would use a gun to avoid a fight, and LCLF can probably shed some light upon this, but AFAIK you can't point a gun with impunity at someone who is unarmed until after they've attacked you or someone else.

Killing someone over some busted knuckles and a fat lip is dumb, and this kid is fixing to learn that the hard way.
Hope none of you guys ever have to as well.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com

Last edited by Patrick; 05-26-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #38
_Iceman_
Aerobatics Junkie

Bike(s):
Ducati 1098
Honda ZR50
Blata 2.5

Quote:
Guess I grew up differently. It was pretty rough and tumble till I left N.O. and joined the Army. It was rare that one of us didn't get into a fight at least once a month, more often in the summer.
Even when I came back home in my mid-20's, there would be some kind of a knock-around every now and then.
It was rare anyone pulled a knife, let alone a gun.
Sure, a couple of people went to the hospital, and I went to school or work more than a few times with a busted lip or cracked ribs, but no one ever died from it.

Now I've carried a gun, not so legally and then legally, once CHL's came about, since I was 18.
Here's the thing, even with growing up/living in that type of environment for almost 20 years, the only person I ever shot outside of the Army was when I was 15, and that was inside of my house defending myself from a much larger armed intruder.

Too many people use a gun as a crutch imo instead of using it properly as a tool.
You wouldn't use a sledge hammer to drive a finishing nail would you?

The 21 year old shooter doesn't appear to be a 90 lb. weakling, so if it's 2 against one, him and his father, why would he need a gun to stop a fight, let alone shoot the biker after the fight was over.

One last caveat, most of the discussion here has ASSUMED that the biker was the aggressor or that we had a physical advantage over the father.

The news report states:
So the fight occurred in front of the bikers house.

What if the biker simply pulled over to respond to the op's threat, or had been blocked by the guys car?
What if the father actually initiated the attack on the biker?
What if the father was much larger than the biker?
Now the biker has been shot for defending himself?
It's a slippery slope.

My Dad, a 23 year career U.S. Army Warrant Officer with 2 tours in Vietnam and a then few other holes once told me this:
"When you kill a man, you take away everything from him, all he's ever been, and all he ever will be."
Something to think about before you pull a gun on someone.

I'm 51 now. Would I pull a gun on a kid half my age looking for a fight?
More than likely not, unless my kids/wife were also in peril, and only then if I couldn't handle the situation, either by talking it down/diffusing it, or disabling the threat/felt my life was in jeopardy.

We're not talking about a random assault with intent to rob etc. here, we're talking about a case of road rage, and in this case it appears as though it was between 2 known parties.

To those of you stating you would use a gun to avoid a fight, and LCLF can probably shed some light upon this, but AFAIK you can't point a gun with impunity at someone who is unarmed until after they've attacked you or someone else.

Killing someone over some busted knuckles and a fat lip is dumb, and this kid is fixing to learn that the hard way.
Hope none of you guys ever have to as well.
YUP!

www.s2kdj.com
_Iceman_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #39
eltejano
I smell pretty

Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:

Nah man, I grew up in Juarez Mexico as a child in a very rough heiborhood. It was third world country rough. Trust me, I don't back down from , but I am older and not so fast to want to fight.

If someone comes at me wanting to throw down, I am sorry, keep insinuating I am a and we grew up different, I do t give a , I am putting a down.

Got beat the down real bad when I was 12 cause I wouldn't back down from some 17mor 18 year old cholo in el paso. I obliterated his nose but that's where it stopped going my way. I was beat bad. my teeth are still from that, I ended with my wrist impaled on a metal rod when I was thrown at the end of my beating. didn't feel the right side of my face til I was 35. Not fun when someone practices soccer free kicks with your face with steel toe shoes after you are out.

So I know first hand how things can go very life threatening bad from a "fight" but when a tough guy experienced filter, may it be street or trained, comes up wanting to fight, I have the right to defend my well being or my loved ones.

it's not always just a fat lip man, seeing someone dead from being beat is not pretty. Some people are not content at just stopping there.

it's one of those things where you think you are right but I know that you're wrong, sorry.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #40
myla296

Feedback Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltejano View Post

Got beat the down real bad when I was 12 cause I wouldn't back down from some 17mor 18 year old cholo in el paso.
Really sorry to hear what you suffered. But, your story doesn't match the situation that is of the topic: a man backing away with his hands up. Shot dead anyway.

If you had a gun when you were 12 in that situation, it sounds like you would have been within your rights to shoot. And if you didn't, you would regret it because you would have to watch your back constantly.
myla296 is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisement