Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2007, 09:19 AM   #21
Feedback Rating: (0)

User is banned

TWISTED METAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gofundme a new bike.. wtf? Coolhandsluke General Discussion (Moto Related) 187 04-23-2015 08:00 PM
your bike is to old...WTF! MudBug Off Topic 47 09-28-2008 11:46 AM
Bike shaking at ****+ WTF? trumindgame General Discussion (Moto Related) 44 07-13-2008 07:41 PM
WTF HELMETS ON BIKE NOT ON HEAD !! txgsxrbob Off Topic 24 01-08-2008 11:41 AM
MY BIKE GOT RAN OVER WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gixxa 123 General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 07-26-2007 01:14 PM
Old 03-22-2007, 10:21 AM   #22
Driving Duh-Bus
Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Originally Posted by therky42
I understand your pain, I had a member of this site, who actually is a really nice guy despite the fact the he sold me a "99 bike" but was really a 99 frame, 98 and 97 miscllaneous parts, and a 97 engine. When I confronted him about it he said he would ask the previous owner who was a friend of his, but then never got back to me. Not that big of a deal but cost alot of my time going back and forth to get parts thinking it was 99 and finding out some were 97, 98 and 99! But I got a really good deal so never gave him too much about it. Just goes to show you better run the vin #'s on both the frame and the motor and get the service history on all used vehicles before you buy them! Otherwise its mainly your fault, especially if all you have is a Bill of sale and not a title.

So lesson learned.
OK, I have to defend myself here.......:eh:

Ya, that was me who sold the 99, 98, 97 .... bike. In the 3 years that the previous owner (Kris Lillegard, TMGP #47, CMRA #473, AMA #473, 281-723-0925), then Travis Lindsey (rode it once or twice), and then myself, owned the bike neither of us had to purchase any parts for it, other than a rear wheel. Everything else worked great, the only maintenance we ever did was change the gear oil, coolant, new plug or two, and clean the air filter. I never wrenched on it the whole time I owned it because Kris did all the work for me.

I had a guy come out to look at the bike before Therky and he ran the VIN and told me the dealer said it was a 97, not a 1999. He then offered me a lowball price. He also pointed out a few other small mech issues. I called Kris about the year and all he could say was he bought it thinking it was a 1999, no reason to think otherwise. So I passed on the lowball price, and revised the asking price $150 down for the small mechanical issues.

I am pretty sure I told Therky all this up front before we closed the sale. I even suggested, and he did, run the vin as a precaution. Came up as a 99. So I thought the 1997 thing was a lowballing tactic. It was only when he tried to get new plastics that it started to unravel that there was a model year issue. And I thought I had, but maybe I didn't, get back to Therky that Kris was as clueless about the different model years as I was. I called and talked to him about the bike again and he couldn't come up with any reasons why it should not be a 1999.

Kris thought he had bought a nice clean 1999 with a fresh 2mm overbore for $1900 in late 2004. Travis thought he had bought a nice, not so clean 1999 for $1200 in 2005. I thought I had traded a nice XR100 to Travis for a not so clean 1999 in 2006. And then Therky thought he bought a nicely surface rusted 1999 for $700.

To his credit, Therky has not given me any grief about this issue. Just a couple of PM's to try to establish the year model. I pride myself on being fair and honest in anything I sell to anyone, and never want to deceive anyone. I am sorry this fell on someone else's hands....

As far as the guy who sold the 23,000 mile bike as having 5k, without disclosing numerous issues, bash his f'ing teeth in.
Faster and Faster, Slowly! BRAWP it like its hot, BRAWP it like its hot.

Last edited by Mr.P; 03-22-2007 at 10:30 AM.
Mr.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:30 AM   #23
Feedback Rating: (1)

2006 VTX 1300C, YZ 250

^^^^^Like I said Shadman is a Nice guy, my situation was a little different being it had been owned by many riders and I new it had been abused (raced). and I was given a little history on what he mentioned aboe so I did get a fair price because of it. Not trying to say anything bad about Shadman, just that I understand how frustrating it can be to buy something and it not be in the condition the "bike" led "US" to believe before tearing it down.

Sorry to your thread just thought I would let you know that I understand your frustration, and for what its worth I would do business with Peter again.

Last edited by therky42; 03-22-2007 at 10:35 AM.
therky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:48 AM   #24
Feedback Rating: (0)

06 GSXR 1000

Originally Posted by Shadman
As far as the guy who sold the 23,000 mile bike as having 5k, without disclosing numerous issues, bash his f'ing teeth in.
Agreed. Thanks for the tips
viprgtsr is offline   Reply With Quote