MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
z0sum

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

A Couple of Noob Questions

I was considering going to a track day at MSR with Ridesafe pretty soon and I had a couple of questions about it that I was hoping some of you may know the answer to.

The first question was about getting the bike there. Would it be too far fetched to actually ride my bike there, ride on the track and ride back? If that's too impractical, what are some other inexpensive options?

Also, I use my bike for regular commute, so I was wondering what requirements would my bike need to meet to be ridden on the track? Is it a bad idea to use my regular commuting bike for a track day?
z0sum is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Couple of questions. nameca2 Motorcycles Unlimited 1 10-12-2014 08:43 AM
Noob questions 01ls1ws6 General Discussion (Moto Related) 27 03-13-2012 01:08 PM
New to TX couple questions on getting tags... Mav777 General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 01-13-2012 02:13 PM
Couple of questions jfly Off Topic 37 12-17-2009 11:07 AM
Couple of questions for you folks Bluestreak06 Off Topic 45 03-15-2009 08:56 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
gots2no
Steve

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'94 Kawasaki ZX6
'78 Yamaha XS750E (sold)
'82 Yamaha Seca 750 (sold)
'82 Yamaha XT200 (sold)

Member Garage

I rode mine to and from my first track day. Not the best scenario, especially if it's your daily commuter. If you have an accident, then you have to figure out how to get it home. Your bike needs to be in good shape, tires, brakes, etc. and you'll need to tape up all lights and mirrors. I use painter's tape.
gots2no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #3
Lucar

Member Garage

contact any of my brothers > Halffast - they will help you get set
and welcome
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:55 AM   #4
Rgprestige15

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
gen 2 zx10r street
05 600rr track

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0sum View Post
I was considering going to a track day at MSR with Ridesafe pretty soon and I had a couple of questions about it that I was hoping some of you may know the answer to.

The first question was about getting the bike there. Would it be too far fetched to actually ride my bike there, ride on the track and ride back? If that's too impractical, what are some other inexpensive options?

Also, I use my bike for regular commute, so I was wondering what requirements would my bike need to meet to be ridden on the track? Is it a bad idea to use my regular commuting bike for a track day?
Iam in the process of going through this. You can rent a motorcycle trailer from uhaul for 15 bucks or something or someone on the forums might be able to let you hop on their trailer if they are going to the same track day. Post up the date and your location and someone will probably help you out.
Rgprestige15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:29 AM   #5
myla296

Feedback Rating: (1)

Quote:
This is where you'll go to register, it's actually "Ridesmart" https://www.ridesmart.info/
Their next MSRH (in Angleton) isn't until June 22, it's good that you are sorting things out now.

Quote:
People do it but I cringe when I see it. Things can happen on the track through no fault of your own. If you are pushing a bit, not crazy like a race but doing more than usual, you might found out what it's like to lose your front or rear end and not be able to ride your bike home.
Quote:
Also, I use my bike for regular commute, so I was wondering what requirements would my bike need to meet to be ridden on the track?
If you still decide to take it though: You need to bring lots of painter's tape with you to cover reflective surfaces (headlamps, turn signals, tale, et al) and maybe remove your mirrors while there, and have zip ties to secure the fairings when the mirrors are off. People at the track are willing to help. You should visit a track day ahead of time for practice, do the ride and check out how people are dealing with their street bikes. (versus track bikes that have the race fairings). Oh, and a tire gauge to make sure the pressure is correct. You can get air through tire support services (Whoop is usually there) at his air compressor.

Quote:
Is it a bad idea to use my regular commuting bike for a track day?
Yes. And no. Yes: you can damage expensive parts like the headlamp assembly and not be able to ride it until you can afford to replace it. No: maybe nothing will happen. I have seen people ride from San Antonio to MSRH and ride home with the bike the way they brought it.

BTW, put a call out to ask about getting space with someone else on their trailer or truck. I've seen many people have success with that. Many of us want to help since we believe track days help make better riders.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do!
myla296 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:50 AM   #6
Squid Killer

Bike(s):
FZ1, Ducati Monster, R6, Gold Wing, Seca 2, TTR230, EX 250 and Metropolitan

I spent several years riding from Galveston out to TWS (Texas World Speedway). During the lunch break I always had to ride in to town to get another tank of gas. Never had a problem but being really tired by the time I got back home.

Squid Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #7
BaoPee
12 yr old Asian boy

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucar View Post
contact any of my brothers > Halffast - they will help you get set
and welcome
you called?

info@halffastgroup.com
BaoPee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #8
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

Good post "Myla". Covered most of it! Just also make sure your hydrating a day or two before you go cause it will be really hot soon! Make sure you get a good reat(good luck with that)... I know that's hard to do but try and calm yourself. If you were like me when I got started I wanted to go out there and just haul ! Take it easy and you'll be fine! Since your a daily commuter you should be fine on the bike the whole day. Just try and find a ride ... Way better to trailer it. Besides once your addicted you'll want to save your tires for the track anyways!!!
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Rykoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
Slovy
BRAWP Racing

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2003 Honda CBR 600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoPee View Post