MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
tustah
Senior Member
 
tustah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 456


Bike(s):
2008 GSX-R750









Shave my...

Anyone offer services to shave seats? Looking to have it done on my k8 750. I'm 5'8" and am blessed with short legs. Want to ride comfortably without lowering it.

Preferably somewhere in the SW.
tustah is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
no shave november witchdoctor575 Off Topic 31 11-08-2013 09:18 PM
Should I Shave My Nose? ormand Off Topic 91 08-03-2010 11:21 PM
shave the seat MudBug Safety Corner Main 50 12-30-2008 12:02 AM
Close shave kstrs Off Topic 4 05-27-2007 08:24 PM
Shave Everywhere Steve O Chap Off Topic 1 03-03-2007 10:41 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
wtaylor
TaylorMade
 
wtaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: nw houston/ cypress
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 123

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07 gsxr 750
03 f4i (sold)








You might just want to lower it the stock seat is already like sitting on a 2x4 after a long ride shaving it is just gonna make it worse.
wtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #3
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion
 
Neon Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kings Landing
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,221

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)






Galaxy Auto Trim in the heights.
__________________
ASSASSINO
Neon Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
eklikewhoa
Senior Member
 
eklikewhoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Spring/Humble
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 452

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
zx10r









Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Samurai View Post
Galaxy Auto Trim in the heights.
Have you seen any of their work?

I'm looking to do the same with mine.
eklikewhoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
bluewave18
Safety Third
 
bluewave18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: S.E.
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 34,108

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50








Its not hard to DIY
__________________
"Just curious,wife turns 40 soon. And I have a bucket list to accomplish. She can get frisky after a few drinks which I haven't used to my full advantage, YET!"
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
pinball
I got slow
 
pinball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SE
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 4,683

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2


Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)







Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
Its not hard to DIY
^This. Ryobi finish sander and some 80-100 grit to remove the bulk. Finish it off with some 400-800 if you want it smooth, but that really doesn't matter much since the cover will hide all but the worst imperfections.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bun1t View Post
Shelnutt thinks mechanics should work for free
pinball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
tustah
Senior Member
 
tustah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 456


Bike(s):
2008 GSX-R750









Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
Its not hard to DIY
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
^This. Ryobi finish sander and some 80-100 grit to remove the bulk. Finish it off with some 400-800 if you want it smooth, but that really doesn't matter much since the cover will hide all but the worst imperfections.
How much do y'all charge?

Don't have the tools nor the time, that's why I'm looking to have it outsourced.
tustah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #8
eklikewhoa
Senior Member
 
eklikewhoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Spring/Humble
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 452

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
zx10r









Might have to break down and buy a sander then.

I attempted with just a blade and its got razor bumps
eklikewhoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:23 PM   #9
anatram
I love nekkid midgets
 
anatram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Deer Park
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,257

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
07 HD XL1200C

01 XR fiddy







I did a write up awhile back on my zx10, it's simple and doesn't take long. Any upholstery will charge at least 100.00 to do. I did mine with new material for less than a 20, and an hour or so worth the time.
__________________
I've never had a piece of tail I didn't like, it was the woman attached to it I didn't care for.
anatram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:37 PM   #10
eklikewhoa
Senior Member
 
eklikewhoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Spring/Humble
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 452

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
zx10r









What did you use for the cushion? Is there a way to get a link to your write up?

I'm on the wife's ipad and doesn't like me
eklikewhoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:40 PM   #11
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com
 
ScooterTrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cut n Shoot
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 17,239


Bike(s):
lots of em






Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
Its not hard to DIY
agreed! do it yourself, watch some utube vids of others and how its done, easy as pie and then use the cash you saved to treat yourself to some platform shoes. win win
__________________
[COLOR="Lime"][B]Highway HorrorS c.c.[/B][/COLOR]



[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:43 AM   #12
Squoddybody
This is me.
 
Squoddybody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hillbilly
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 22,185

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650






I also have short legs. But I'm not anywhere near 5'8".

I've done my seat twice. The first time I shaved the out of it with a serrated knife - got about 2" shorter.

You'll need to remove the seat, remove all the staples on the existing seat's underside.

Trim the padding with an electric knife (to save time) or a serrated knife. Go slow and be cautious of how much you're removing. To alleviate the bumps and unevenness, you can add a poly batting (found at any fabric store - where you'll buy your new vinyl).

Get a GOOD, powerful staple gun and a heat gun (a good hair dryer will also work on a high heat setting). Start at the front of the seat and stretch the vinyl over the front while heating/heated. The heat is VERY important to stretch the vinyl enough to not have puckers.

Heat, stretch, and staple as you go. You may have to re-staple a few times to get it nice, even, and tight. Don't skimp on the vinyl and don't cut it until you get it on. If you choose a pattern, know that your fist time, the pattern won't be even.

The second time I re-did my seat was to ADD padding. I bought a high density foam (fabric store), two different colors of vinyl, and actually sewed the seat cover to look nice. I also cut out and sewed SQUODDY across my seat in complimentary colors of my bike. I think it turned out pretty awesome for a novice tailor.

Old Seat:
181183 4079118463214 273241306 n

New Seat:
548978 4358337763522 602276927 n
304698 4353602165135 696971691 n
__________________
THIS is me on my motorcycle. Any Questions?

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #13
GABRIEL
Senior Member
 
GABRIEL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SW/SE Houston
Feedback Rating: (14)
Posts: 7,184

Experience: 1-3 months











Your clip ons look upside down in the picture.

Nice yob on the seat.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:43 PM   #14
Squoddybody
This is me.
 
Squoddybody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hillbilly
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 22,185

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650






Quote:
Originally Posted by GABRIEL View Post
Your clip ons look upside down in the picture.

Nice yob on the seat.
Haha! They may be. I didn't install them. After the crash I got a GSXR 1k front end; somebody else put it all together for me.

Thanks. I'm happy with it, and at the end of the day, that's all that matters.
__________________
THIS is me on my motorcycle. Any Questions?

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #15
tustah
Senior Member
 
tustah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 456


Bike(s):
2008 GSX-R750









I think I'm in love.
tustah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #16
B.T.R.
slow as molasses
 
B.T.R.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: near 290 & BW8
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 910

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 YAMAHA R1
2007 ZX6R (TRACK BIKE)
HOT WIFE







Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
I also have short legs. But I'm not anywhere near 5'8".

I've done my seat twice. The first time I shaved the out of it with a serrated knife - got about 2" shorter.

You'll need to remove the seat, remove all the staples on the existing seat's underside.

Trim the padding with an electric knife (to save time) or a serrated knife. Go slow and be cautious of how much you're removing. To alleviate the bumps and unevenness, you can add a poly batting (found at any fabric store - where you'll buy your new vinyl).

Get a GOOD, powerful staple gun and a heat gun (a good hair dryer will also work on a high heat setting). Start at the front of the seat and stretch the vinyl over the front while heating/heated. The heat is VERY important to stretch the vinyl enough to not have puckers.

Heat, stretch, and staple as you go. You may have to re-staple a few times to get it nice, even, and tight. Don't skimp on the vinyl and don't cut it until you get it on. If you choose a pattern, know that your fist time, the pattern won't be even.

The second time I re-did my seat was to ADD padding. I bought a high density foam (fabric store), two different colors of vinyl, and actually sewed the seat cover to look nice. I also cut out and sewed SQUODDY across my seat in complimentary colors of my bike. I think it turned out pretty awesome for a novice tailor.

Old Seat:
181183 4079118463214 273241306 n

New Seat:
548978 4358337763522 602276927 n
304698 4353602165135 696971691 n
Very nice looking SV!!!!! Good job!
__________________

GOON
www.solarcontrolhouston.com
For all your residential/commercial window tinting needs.
B.T.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #17
Squoddybody
This is me.
 
Squoddybody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hillbilly
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 22,185

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650






Quote:
Originally Posted by B.T.R. View Post
Very nice looking SV!!!!! Good job!
Thank you. I love it. It has close to 70k miles now; 13k when I got it.
__________________
THIS is me on my motorcycle. Any Questions?

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy