MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Suzuki to Motogp?

Wish everyone else would join back in.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
Is there really a big difference in the engines used (v4) .. Like between the Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda. Etc?? I thought Moto gp was more about the riders skills.
Btw.. I still need to watch the moto gp for this year..
Old 05-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
SafetyLimiter

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
07' Vulcan Classic 1600
06' CBR 600f4i Stolen
99' Kawasaki ZX6 SOLD
03 GSXR 1000 Traded

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
You and me both. Who would ride it though? Maybe Hayden. Get him off the ducati.
SafetyLimiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
halfbr3d

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'08 GSXR600

Where you at Kawi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyLimiter View Post
You and me both. Who would ride it though? Maybe Hayden. Get him off the ducati.
I'd like to see 69 off the Ducati as well. There's lots of talented riders out there.
halfbr3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrad View Post
I thought Moto gp was more about the riders skills.
not even close.

Moto2 has spec motors so they're somewhat more about rider skill, but being on the right chassis still makes a difference.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #6
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .

Trackdays: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
not even close.

Moto2 has spec motors so they're somewhat more about rider skill, but being on the right chassis still makes a difference.
Ahh ! I see
Old 05-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
SafetyLimiter

Bike(s):
07' Vulcan Classic 1600
06' CBR 600f4i Stolen
99' Kawasaki ZX6 SOLD
03 GSXR 1000 Traded

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbr3d View Post
Where you at Kawi?

I'd like to see 69 off the Ducati as well. There's lots of talented riders out there.
True, but I think we need some representation on the podiums. AMERICA!!

Completely forgot about kawasaki

Last edited by SafetyLimiter; 05-10-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #8
sunday_rider

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):

Suzuki to MotoGP

One main requirement for MotoGP is that the bike has to be a prototype and not a production bike.

As far as Suzuki racing MotoGP? i think it is just bad business The company itself decided to shut down operations in many countries due to negative revenues from their automobile business, which also translated into their motorcycle business as well, proof of that is the dinosaur gixxer 1000 and hayabusa which have remained pretty much the same for more than 5 years now, trying their best to compete with the rest by doing very minor changes that do not affect their production costs.

Now running a factory MotoGP team is not cheap...... and the results they will get will not counter balance the expense of running the team. Honestly i think it will do more damage into their bottom line than any good...... realistically there is no way for Suzuki to make any podiums in MotoGP and that usually translate to negative showroom movement to their already antique inventory.

A much better move would be for Suzuki to spend their money wisely and instead of participating in MotoGP, they should better utilize that budget into R&D and make their Gixxer 1000 a lot more competitive with all the electronic goodies that the competition offers plus a more exotic look and better everything, meaning start from scratch to build a new sport bike for the next generation, pretty much what Aprilia and BMW did when they decided to race WSBK. Without a solid product line to represent the brand, all racing effort will go to waste
Old 05-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #9
halfbr3d

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'08 GSXR600

IMO, this is a good move by Suzuki even though it may take a few years to be competitive.

MotoGP = Advertising and publicity
Prototype = R&D
halfbr3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #10
SafetyLimiter

Bike(s):
07' Vulcan Classic 1600
06' CBR 600f4i Stolen
99' Kawasaki ZX6 SOLD
03 GSXR 1000 Traded

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrad View Post
Ahh ! I see
This might give you some info.
http://www.motogp.com/en/MotoGP+Basics/bikes

Quote:
IMO, this is a good move by Suzuki even though it may take a few years to be competitive.

Prototype = R&D
Agreed
Old 05-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #11
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

I'm not a Suzuki fan, but I would love to see them in the mix. Like you, I wish everyone would put a factory gp team out.

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #12
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:

1. MotoGP = Advertising and publicity
2. Prototype = R&D
They will get better results and use less resources if they did a massive marketing campaign but they would still need a good product behind it to back up their claims Who would want to buy a bike that always comes in last at the races so sometimes No publicity is better than Bad publicity!

MotoGP bikes are prototypes and their technology works well at the track and sometime it gets passed on future production bikes, but so far the Yamaha M1 crossplane has been just a marketing tool to push bike sales worldwide, but it deos little to help the porky R1.... another example is the stubborn Ducati with their Desmo machines, the monocoque frame doesnt work in MotoGP and they know it but they still chose to pass it on their production superbike..... the 1199 pannigale, which by the way came in at number 17 at the last WSBK race
Old 05-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #13
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtdrivr View Post
I'm not a Suzuki fan, but I would love to see them in the mix. Like you, I wish everyone would put a factory gp team out.
I would love to see more brands in the mix, but they at least have to be competitive, otherwise they would just be obstacles at the track A good example are the CRT teams, most are using the BMW engine but i can see Kawi in the mix, after all both engines have similar performance on paper!
Old 05-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #14
Chuckster

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

MotoGP is expensive. Kawasaki spent over $40 million in their last GP season. MotoGP is more bragging rights than anything. Lots of (street) bikes are developed without MotoGP. True, as Sunday Rider said, some of the tech stuff trickles down over the years but not much. Aprilia and BMW are prime examples of this. Aprilia didn't do much with the RS3 engine in MotoGP but developed a screaming streetbike for the WSB series. BMW had no involvement in MotoGP and look at how great their bike is. Honda will always have the upper hand because they have the deepest pockets. Yamaha is really an underdog to the Honda, Lorenzo is just that good that he can manage his machine so consistently that he stays up front.
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #15
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:

Prototype = R&D
Yes and no,
the Ducati MotoGP bike is despised by the general public yet this tiny factory produces a bike that laps with a second and a bit of the fastest riders in the world on the best equipment in the world but finishing down the order is seen as failure. Failure is not good branding or publicity.

Suzuki and Kawasaki know this.
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #16
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
MotoGP is expensive. Kawasaki spent over $40 million in their last GP season. MotoGP is more bragging rights than anything. Lots of (street) bikes are developed without MotoGP. True, as Sunday Rider said, some of the tech stuff trickles down over the years but not much. Aprilia and BMW are prime examples of this. Aprilia didn't do much with the RS3 engine in MotoGP but developed a screaming streetbike for the WSB series. BMW had no involvement in MotoGP and look at how great their bike is. Honda will always have the upper hand because they have the deepest pockets. Yamaha is really an underdog to the Honda, Lorenzo is just that good that he can manage his machine so consistently that he stays up front.
I think what we're seeing is the value of the WSBK championship in promoting sales. Unless youre Honda!!
Old 05-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #17
Chuckster

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

Like him or not, I think Lorenzo would be unstoppable on a Honda.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #18
Chuckster

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

WSBK is where it's at for developing and selling production bikes. MotoGP is a "look what we can do" flag waving competition. Moto2 and Moto3 are much more enjoyable because of the control equipment. CRT bikes are a Frankenstein's monster concept of Moto2 & 3. They seem to swap engine makers every year and never get to develop a bike around anything. True, MotoGP have gone to a control ECU but when you have Honda and, not so much, Yamaha money you can throw money and work around the restrictions. , I believe I read that the Honda motor is made mostly of Ti. That stuff will never be cheap enough to make a production line out of it. They're trick looking bikes for sure but really don't serve much more purpose than rolling billboards.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #19
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Like him or not, I think Lorenzo would be unstoppable on a Honda.
I think whats scary about the Honda right now is that despite their budget and having the deepest pockets, they've traditionally been plagued by a performance limiting front end chatter issue which I now see no sign or mention of. Did you see the way Pedrosa passed Jlo at Jerez??? I've never seen him make a pass like that....

I still think Jlo will win the championship though with his rostrum finishing consistency
Old 05-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #20
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
WSBK is where it's at for developing and selling production bikes. MotoGP is a "look what we can do" flag waving competition. Moto2 and Moto3 are much more enjoyable because of the control equipment. CRT bikes are a Frankenstein's monster concept of Moto2 & 3. They seem to swap engine makers every year and never get to develop a bike around anything. True, MotoGP have gone to a control ECU but when you have Honda and, not so much, Yamaha money you can throw money and work around the restrictions. , I believe I read that the Honda motor is made mostly of Ti. That stuff will never be cheap enough to make a production line out of it. They're trick looking bikes for sure but really don't serve much more purpose than rolling billboards.
MotoGP is the new F1,
WSBK gained credibility when it stopped being a Ducati Cup festival imo.
Such a shame Honda and Yamaha dont have factory teams.

Advertisement