MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #41
Truckin_Thumper

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050
WR426 Blue Hooligan Motard ---once back together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donte View Post
He is not

As much as I agree with this, I must say that I was guilty of buying a bike and not factoring everything in too. I did the math on how much a bike would cost but extra cost came into play and had to cut corners somewhere. Luckily my mom rode at one point and I was able to just use her gear for a while. Im still wearing her gloves that are dated and need to be replaced. As a kid you are so happy to get a bike that the total cost of owning one does not come into play. Like I will say as much as I love my new bike its defiantly costing me a pretty penny and probably was not the best financial choice I could have made at this point in my life.

Im not saying there toys but to most people who own bikes they are second and third vehicles who just ride on weekends or just for fun. I ride because its my main mode of transportation. If it is raining hard enough or I feel that its unsafe I will not ride and will make other arrangements. That being said I believe that you truly can get hurt on anything, you just have to calculate the risk you are willing to take.
I knew you were a pretty smart kid when we rode around.......well said.

Let me know if you need any help with .
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Friend wrecked my bike ( long story) tunaluna General Discussion (Moto Related) 52 08-28-2012 07:57 PM
Friend in ICU 081000rrKing General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 04-19-2011 09:19 AM
Friend is in a essay competion to meet Dr. Niel Tyson, please vote for my friend Goldenboy1 Off Topic 8 03-21-2011 05:11 PM
Neighbor is in ICU.....wrecked Jay Off Topic 18 03-11-2009 01:49 PM
Friend of mine wrecked today in Brookshire Silver Bullet General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 07-24-2008 06:34 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #42
DT675

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2006 Daytona 675
2010 WR250R
2008 CRF100F
2004 KLX300
2006 CRF50

Sorry to hear this, hope he makes a quick recovery. Praying for him.
DT675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #43
eltejano
I smell pretty

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Samurai View Post
This thread went south
MH wouldnt be MH without the usual downers.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #44
Fastola
Banned

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
06 CBR6er-street

User is banned

Fastola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #45
rednwitecbr250

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by grsa View Post
If you can't afford gas, get a 250
Not sure if that's supposed to be an insult but I'm happy getting 75 mpg and paying 87 octane.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #46
Rowdy76

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Donte .. I saw this on Montgomery county police reporter. In posted up Sat to check ...sorry to hear it was your friend. Hope he recovers quickly.

There was two wrecks sat in the woodlands. The other was on sawdust and grogans mill.
Rowdy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #47
Vegas Kid

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
07 R6-sold
12 TTR 50

Sorry about your buddy and hoping for a quick recovery.

Based on your description it sounded like rider error. Different bike or gear wouldn't have made a difference.

Ultimately people have to make smart descions....based on what you've (Donte) written, you got the right attitude about riding.
Vegas Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #48
myla296

sorry about your friend, amazing that you had the courage to express the need for gear during this time.

It was Houston Gixxers under Will and Jen Blanton that saved my life. They had a rule about gear and didn't let me ride with them until I had a jacket. Guess what I did? I bought a jacket. Though, prior to that, I had been riding around for some months with only a helmet and gloves. Now? I'm a gear nut, advocate for it but always need to remember that I was once one of them too. I learned a lot more than that through them and though they don't head HG anymore, I now have Rodrigo. (it's now instead of adjusting chains but more hardcore like installing race stuff!)

Minimal gear: helmet, textile jacket with impact padding, gloves, low grade moto boots, knee guards, textile pants with hip impact.

More: helmet, gauntlet gloves, leathers, back protector, A-Stars boots
myla296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:14 AM   #49
edgarf23

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
1993 Harley Sportster XLH1200
2007 Honda VFR 800

Regards to ur friend and i hope he is able to pull through.
But i must disagree with your statement regarding 600cc bikes as a starter. My first bike was and still is my 2007 Honda VFR RWB. This is a 800 cc bike that also weights much more then a R6. It took me several weeks after purchasing it before i ever took onto main streets. My home sits in a neighborhood were there is no exit and i easily road up and down the street for weeks. Second step was going through development practicing stoping at the stop signs and working on my clutch control from full stop and making those right and left hand turns. I went through this routine for at least a month before i took it the main roads and still waited a week or two before i took the Hwys.
People must be patient learning thr bike. Give it a name, get personal with it, learn to handle it and not allow it to handle You.
Once again Please don't take this the wrong way I'm simply stating what i went through and the process i followed.
edgarf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:22 AM   #50
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarf23 View Post
But i must disagree with your statement regarding 600cc bikes as a starter. My first bike was and still is my 2007 Honda VFR RWB. This is a 800 cc bike that also weights much more then a R6. It took me several weeks after purchasing it before i ever took onto main streets. My home sits in a neighborhood were there is no exit and i easily road up and down the street for weeks. Second step was going through development practicing stoping at the stop signs and working on my clutch control from full stop and making those right and left hand turns. I went through this routine for at least a month before i took it the main roads and still waited a week or two before i took the Hwys.
People must be patient learning thr bike. Give it a name, get personal with it, learn to handle it and not allow it to handle You.
Once again Please don't take this the wrong way I'm simply stating what i went through and the process i followed.
Well said. Head up, eyes up, and look where you want the bike to go. Relax your arms.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:10 AM   #51
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

Donte, I have a pair of large joe rocket gloves for free if you need them.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #52
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednwitecbr250 View Post
Not sure if that's supposed to be an insult but I'm happy getting 75 mpg and paying 87 octane.
Lol ur not getting 75mpg
Old 05-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #53
rednwitecbr250

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Samurai View Post
Lol ur not getting 75mpg
I am but you're right cause you're a BORC and I was told not to f#$k with them
Old 05-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #54
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by myla296 View Post
sorry about your friend, amazing that you had the courage to express the need for gear during this time.

It was Houston Gixxers under Will and Jen Blanton that saved my life. They had a rule about gear and didn't let me ride with them until I had a jacket. Guess what I did? I bought a jacket. Though, prior to that, I had been riding around for some months with only a helmet and gloves. Now? I'm a gear nut, advocate for it but always need to remember that I was once one of them too. I learned a lot more than that through them and though they don't head HG anymore, I now have Rodrigo. (it's now instead of adjusting chains but more hardcore like installing race stuff!)

Minimal gear: helmet, textile jacket with impact padding, gloves, low grade moto boots, knee guards, textile pants with hip impact.

More: helmet, gauntlet gloves, leathers, back protector, A-Stars boots
I haven't heard those names in forever!! I used to work 2 floors above Jen.

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #55
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

so sorry to hear about your friend.

Houston traffic is very unforgiving to inexperienced riders.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #56
Donte
Im The Dreaded One

Bike(s):
GS500F

Member Garage

Just an update: He has been moved out of ICU, and had surgery on his hand. Another friend of ours went and saw him and said that he had lots of road rash. So a jacket would have surely helped out. He said that when he first talked to him he had no memory of crashing, and just woke up in the hospital with family telling him he wrecked his bike. At this time I would like to say thank you to all those who have prayed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Kid View Post
Sorry about your buddy and hoping for a quick recovery.

Based on your description it sounded like rider error. Different bike or gear wouldn't have made a difference.

Ultimately people have to make smart descions....based on what you've (Donte) written, you got the right attitude about riding.
At first I was thought it was the bike but after talking to his sister and her saying that he turned into a car it probably was rider error. The reason I say probably is because the police report is still not finalized, but I will check on that tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarf23 View Post
I understand your point, I to am not saying that everyone must start on a 250. I just believe that anyone under 21 years old should not start on one. As kids we don't have the patient thing down and just want to go fast, and by having the power to do so we will. Not every kid that gets a bike will go fast I understand this but a lot of us are still learning how to control the speed demon in us, one of the things keeping my demons at bay is my wallet. I cant afford anymore tickets. The older you are,the more likely your going to go take your time and learn how to properly ride. I really wish my friend would have stayed in his neighbor hood a little longer and get even better on the bike. I don't blame my self for this but I did notice at stop lights when we rode he had clutch issues and I do believe I should have told him to practice stoping and starting more to get better. Now hes probably not going to get another bike, at least until he moves out because his moms defiantly not going to let him get another one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigRR View Post
Donte, I have a pair of large joe rocket gloves for free if you need them.
Cool, wouldn't be able to come get them until around Thursday. And Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRmgm View Post
so sorry to hear about your friend.

Houston traffic is very unforgiving to inexperienced riders.
Everyone in Texas drives a big truck and they just cant see us.
Donte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #57
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

just wondering - did your friend take the MSF Basic Rider course before he bought this motorcycle?
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #58
Donte
Im The Dreaded One

Bike(s):
GS500F

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRmgm View Post
just wondering - did your friend take the MSF Basic Rider course before he bought this motorcycle?
he did , took it a month be for he bought the bike. The course really on prepares you for a little of whats to come. Know one can teach you how to ride with other vehicles, you just have to learn on your own.
Donte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #59
TheBeeDeeGee

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 CBR 600 F4i
2001 RC51 *sold :(
2002 VFR 800 *sold
2002 919 *sold
2006 599 * wrecked

Hope he pulls through it.

I was stupid with my first bike too, I wore a helmet and gloves the first few times I rode it because I hadn't gotten a jacket yet... Finally bought a jacket, the next week, the event that led to my avatar picture happened. I slid a long way on my stomach.Don't ride without your gear!
TheBeeDeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #60
pbmuzik
CBR1000RR

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2009 CBR1000RR

Best wishes and gods speed to a recovery... It took a bit to recover from mine. I ok with people starting on a 600 but with patients... I don't recommend a 1k. Blows to hear he got into a wreck.
pbmuzik is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement