MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2007, 05:27 PM   #41
atizzle

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'03 SV650S

Send a message via AIM to atizzle
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badzx12r
true dat but according to OSHA all accidents can be prevented with proper planning and hazard identification and elimination
what is this, a QHSE meeting?!?
atizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rider or bike bueller Taking it to the Track 22 05-21-2010 01:40 PM
its the rider and not the bike RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 10-04-2009 12:44 PM
Then, you MIGHT be a sport bike rider..... gueroaero General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 02-06-2009 03:00 PM
Rider Chases Bike bumblebee General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 05-24-2008 10:43 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2007, 05:33 PM   #42
1badzx12r
SHREK

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2001 joker custom

I guess it sounds like that but it does compare

Its peanut butter jelly time!!!
1badzx12r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:35 PM   #43
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

250 or 500; get your feet wet and then upgrade. you never know if your significant other will get the bug, and then you'll have the perfect ride for her to start on.

If you have ridden before, on dirt bikes of something, then you are better suited to something larger/faster. But for a dead nuts beginner, there is enough new stuff going on that you don't need a heavy, powerful bike that will bite you in a heartbeat.

I have Ninja 250 going up for sale as well, in a couple weeks.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"

Last edited by texlurch; 03-14-2007 at 05:46 PM.
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:17 PM   #44
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24
if your an adult, and act like an adult, and have taken the MSF you can safely start on a 600.
Adult? What is the meaning of this term adult?:eh:

Get an SV650 older CBR(f3), or a gs500.

my .02

and welcome to the site mang
Old 03-14-2007, 07:00 PM   #45
1badzx12r
SHREK

Bike(s):
2001 joker custom

The age at which a person, formerly a minor or an infant, is recognized by law to be an adult, capable of managing his or her own affairs and responsible for any legal obligations created by his or her actions.:icon_bigg

Its peanut butter jelly time!!!
1badzx12r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:29 PM   #46
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

FYI, I got my Ninja 250 to take my 10 year old to the track on. See, the KX60 motard is just too much bike for him. It tops out at 50 or so. I saw the ton on the Ninja last week. It's not about the ability to attain speed, it's the controllability in situations in which control is already lost. A Ninja 250 will rarely spit you off for being stupid. A well running 600 will put you into the bumper of the car 50 feet ahead of you if you panic for like 1/2 second.

All you wisecracks suggesting 600's and 750's are giving bad first advice. My 600 can get me in trouble faster in many situations than my Hayabusa ever could. Sure, two weeks on the road and he'll be craving a 600 the way a crack fiend craves his next high. But the Ninja will teach him to respect the sport first.

My real advice is to ride an XR100 in the dirt for a day. There you will learn what bike control is all about. After 5 years riding only an XR80 I rode a GSXR750 for my first big bike experience. I unintentionally wheelied about 10 times the first day, hit prolly 150 on the highway, and tried backing it in to a red light. All on my first day on the street. I was 18, dumb, and loving every minute of it. Really stupid. Like the guy at ASI who dumped his bike when he was sure he was "getting real good" after 2 months of street riding.

I rode from 1987 until 2002 without dropping a bike. I attribute it to my limited dirt experience and respect for fast machinery. My first wreck was a mild highside and recovery into a barb wire fence trying to catch a pack of riders on 3090 who were five minutes ahead of me. My second was on a patch of oil at the fountain on Main street doing 35 on the way to work in a new business suit. 20 or so wrecks later, all on the mini track, I have a lot more respect for what can really happen on the street.

Get a 2 fiddy. Pocket your ego. Live to ride like a pro on another day. And for gods sake, go to the track people.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:09 PM   #47
zero_cool

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by handozizle
that gs500 is prefect IMO. alot of people like myself started on a 600. I did ride dirtbikes before that,guess it help a little bit.:eh:
you sold your bike too?? welcome to the cage crew.
i sold my telefonica and my 750. f-n sucks. i've taken Korn113s ninja out on a couple rides but it just doesn't have enough behind it.
i'm thinking about getting a new cbr1000 this summer, finances permitting.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:14 PM   #48
zero_cool

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonR 1/2
my friend started on an r1. i think its more about being a responsible rider.
+1
my first bike was a gixxer 750 and i was doin standups down the freeway after a month. riding is 20% ability, 80% responsability. , you could get hurt on a ninja 250 if you try hard enough.:icon_bigg

no offense to the 250 crowd:icon_bigg
Old 03-14-2007, 09:15 PM   #49
zero_cool

Member Garage

get a New rider....which bike?
Old 03-14-2007, 11:42 PM   #50
Spanish Fly
Take me drunk, I'm home!!

Bike(s):
2003 SV650s (sold)

well thank you for your comments, good and bad. this is what makes the world go around. anyway, i don't plan on doing tricks or race or anything else drastic but have always wanted a sport bike. I am really a calm guy and all that crazy stuff is not for me but i do like sport bikes. I may just start small like some mentioned so that i can get my feet wet and just move up from there. I can always let my better-half ride the 250r if she wanted after i am done with it. I don't have any plans to act crazy on a bike....I hope
Spanish Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:58 PM   #51
Spanish Fly
Take me drunk, I'm home!!

Bike(s):
2003 SV650s (sold)

Like I mentioned before.....well the safest route for me to go, will be the ninja 250r. So don't laugh when you see me. I tell you what, next time you all have a group ride, I will be the leader. Think of it as "The little engine that could"

lilci0
Spanish Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:59 PM   #52
knee_dragger

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
crf450

If you have the patience in learning on a 600 then go for it but take your time and take it easy. Otherwise start on a 250/500
December 2, 1980-October 13, 2007
You will be missed.
knee_dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:00 AM   #53
atizzle

Bike(s):
'03 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Fly
well thank you for your comments, good and bad. this is what makes the world go around. anyway, i don't plan on doing tricks or race or anything else drastic but have always wanted a sport bike. I am really a calm guy and all that crazy stuff is not for me but i do like sport bikes. I may just start small like some mentioned so that i can get my feet wet and just move up from there. I can always let my better-half ride the 250r if she wanted after i am done with it. I don't have any plans to act crazy on a bike....I hope
thats what we all say, but the power is intoxicating (and to most of us, so is the attention). one day, your gonna be cruisin down 59 on your way to work, drop 2 gears, and pin it thru 4th and 5th....you know...just to see what happens.

we dont all do stand ups down the frwy tho....but we all are grown (at least we are supposed to be) and live/die with the consequences of our actions.

be safe and smart
Old 03-15-2007, 12:10 AM   #54
Vandals
Scooter

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2003 Yamaha r1
1981 Honda Trail 110 -"The Tank"

Quote:
Originally Posted by atizzle
thats what we all say, but the power is intoxicating (and to most of us, so is the attention). one day, your gonna be cruisin down 59 on your way to work, drop 2 gears, and pin it thru 4th and 5th....you know...just to see what happens.

we dont all do stand ups down the frwy tho....but we all are grown (at least we are supposed to be) and live/die with the consequences of our actions.

be safe and smart
Once he can learn to turn the 250, he'll be passing guys like you left and right in the corners
Vandals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:15 AM   #55
zero_cool

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by atizzle

be safe and smart
+1
I had to watch my best friend die right in front of me the day after christmas because of a stupid decision he made. he got a taste of the adrenaline juice and it cost him his life. i used to say riding was my anti-drug to this day i haven't lost any friends from smoking a joint. main thing is just don't be a dumbfu<k. know your limits and don't be in a hurry to exceed them.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:52 AM   #56
atizzle

Bike(s):
'03 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandals
Once he can learn to turn the 250, he'll be passing guys like you left and right in the corners
probably. I park it in the corners, kickstand down and evrything
Old 03-15-2007, 09:30 AM   #57
paniro187

those who start on the big bikes and say you're a responsible rider or whatever need to go to the track and be truly humbled by their machinery. after someone on a ninja 500 passes you you will know then why you should have started on something smaller and built up your skills. sure you started on something fast and didn't wreck but you're still alot more afraid of your machine than a guy that worked his way up from a slower bike to a faster bike.

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:31 AM   #58
paniro187

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_cool
+1
my first bike was a gixxer 750 and i was doin standups down the freeway after a month. riding is 20% ability, 80% responsability. , you could get hurt on a ninja 250 if you try hard enough.:icon_bigg

no offense to the 250 crowd:icon_bigg
if that doesn't spell what not to do i don't know what does. :eh:

Old 03-15-2007, 11:21 AM   #59
ScarfaceZ

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 05

Just start off with a 600... 600 is a good first bike as long as u don't try doing some stupid....
besides u'll get tired of ur 250 with a month or so....
ScarfaceZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:30 AM   #60
paniro187

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarfaceZ
Just start off with a 600... 600 is a good first bike as long as u don't try doing some stupid....
besides u'll get tired of ur 250 with a month or so....
don't listen to this person.

Advertisement