Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #61
exalted512
Slow^^^

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to exalted512
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
I don't think anyone is implying he was in the complete wrong here....those with a lot of street experience noticed additional variables that contributed to his misfortune. His speed being one of them....notice how long it took the cars behind him to approach the wreck after it happened? My guess is he jumped off the line (no doubt, I do it too....but I use extreme caution when doing so...).

I'd dig up and ol' thread somewhere around here....but a kid did the same thing a few years back at 290 and West. Jumped off the line one side of the freeway and was broadsided on the other side of the freeway by someone either "rolling the yellow light" or he simply attempted to cross under the freeway and feeder road before the light even turned green for him.

I think the general consensus of the "Friday Morning Quarterbacks" was that had he been less throttle happy getting through the intersections this might have been avoidable. Cars in the wrong no doubt. Accident "may" have been avoided with a little more scanning and less throttle action.
Except there doesn't seem to be actual knowledge other than what people think might've happened since none of it was confirmed by the OP. It's glaringly obvious when a poster thought he was turning and claimed him to be partially in the wrong.

The only thing that looks obvious to me is that he locked up and smoked the rear tire. If your rear tire is smoking from being on the brakes, then that means you're not using the front brakes enough

And a big +1 to what ZX-Dominance said.
-Cody
exalted512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Big M Weekend @ Miller Motorsports Park This Weekend! Whos Goin!? Snoogyns848 Taking it to the Track 4 05-24-2011 04:21 PM
MSRH last weekend, & GSS the weekend before RojerLockless Taking it to the Track 8 08-06-2010 08:54 PM
Happy Birthday Old ! (AKA mudbug) (AKA goatfcker) Pyrofallout Off Topic 58 09-26-2009 02:46 PM
anyone hear about a wreck over the weekend? Scatter General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 04-09-2008 09:38 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #62
Jonbones
MSRH Groundskeeper

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
gsxr 750 L1 (stolen)
Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Sold)

Dumb cager, but I would say you were travelling a bit quickly for a busy intersection--toatlly cagers fault, but this is one of those situations where you have to ride offensively, and be expecting that kind of thing to happen, so you can have time to react.

Heal up bro, that was a rough hit
Old 05-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #63
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

No one was there, so nobody knows what was best to do.

Yea slow down, but he would have to be doing 10-15mpj to stop fast enough.

Heal up sir
Old 05-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #64
easyriderZX10R

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2007 ZX10R SE sold
Yamaha Road Star 1700
08 harley ultra classic
02 harley electra glide
Santa Cruz Bullet / Super T pro

Get a good attorney
Old 05-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #65
brandontx

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by exalted512 View Post
lol @ all the monday morning quarterbacks.

Glad you're fairly okay man. More so than just medical bills, get them for loss of work (income) and pain and suffering. Make them pay for any gear / clothing / misc (backpack) that was messed up in the wreck. Get them to pay full price on all aftermarket add ons. If they try to depreciate it, ask them where their depreciation values came from since there isn't a blue book on used exhausts, etc.

Good luck with the recovery.
-Cody
All good advice but when you are severely injured it's time for a lawyer to handle all of that. Just call one when you feel up to it, give them the details of the bike, and let them handle it. You just worry about getting better.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #66
Rowdy76

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_5.0 View Post

Heal up sir
^^ this .. he was going slow or fast. Cager tried to flip it around more worried about getting across the road and rider got smashed. Could he have slowed down .. maybe .. the impact may have been less but they were gonna connect or he was going head on into oncoming traffic.
Rowdy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #67
supadupa

Feedback Rating: (3)

Quote:

Heal up sir

Pay attention enough to SEE COMING & know how to use the brakes to their potential ......its not rocket science. Don't see the car in your path....see the car that might move into your path & have a hand on the brakes. I've got 15 years & way too many dead & injured friends that never took it serious enough to learn that I've stopped bothering to be polite about it. Letting kids play with guns is just as bad of an idea.

One guy I knew laid his 1000rr down because a semi ran a red light & turned left.......Yeah the truck was in the wrong but cars & trucks don't do anything quickly. If you can't see it coming you probably won't have a long riding career.
supadupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #68
TheBeeDeeGee

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 CBR 600 F4i
2001 RC51 *sold :(
2002 VFR 800 *sold
2002 919 *sold
2006 599 * wrecked

! dude, glad you came out alive. That was intense. Lucky someone caught it on camera.....you about to get paid son! Obviously it aint worth it for the injury and pain, but get a lawyer and get every dime outta that idiots insurance you can, you deserve it.

Speedy recovery, and this is a nice reminder for everyone to stay alert and anticipate some cager not paying attention.
TheBeeDeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #69
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by supadupa View Post
Pay attention enough to SEE COMING & know how to use the brakes to their potential ......its not rocket science. Don't see the car in your path....see the car that might move into your path & have a hand on the brakes. I've got 15 years & way too many dead & injured friends that never took it serious enough to learn that I've stopped bothering to be polite about it. Letting kids play with guns is just as bad of an idea.

One guy I knew laid his 1000rr down because a semi ran a red light & turned left.......Yeah the truck was in the wrong but cars & trucks don't do anything quickly. If you can't see it coming you probably won't have a long riding career.
Bad analogy. This is an adult riding a machine that had an accident that could have been avoided ... maybe. That is why they are called "accidents". In a case with two people involved in an accident you have an innocent victim that gets jacked up because someone lost focus. IE this situation ... you came try to place blame on the OP .. that is for him to do. Let him look at the accident and find his errors if he thinks there is one. Fact of the matter is the car made an illegal turn. BLAME 100%.

In this case the rider .. not injured all that much or fatal thank can look back and evaluate (lucky for the video) .. there are those who cant. To sit here and try to tell the rider he was in the wrong (unless speeding or acting a fool) is foolish.

Last edited by Rowdy76; 05-03-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #70
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Everybody is an expert on the Internet
Old 05-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #71
rhenriksen

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'07 Bandit 1250
'03 CBR 600 racebike (parting out)
2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848
1984 Honda V65 Sabre (stolen)

There's a little phrase I like to use, when it comes to coaching new motorcycle riders.

"You can get, 'but... but... but... I had the right of way!!!' on your tombstone, if it's any comfort to you. But that won't make you any less dead."

Ride paranoid, and throw out any concept of 'right of way'. Because your body doesn't know or care the difference when you're in a hospital bed, all jacked up.
rhenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:26 PM   #72
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhenriksen View Post
There's a little phrase I like to use, when it comes to coaching new motorcycle riders.

"You can get, 'but... but... but... I had the right of way!!!' on your tombstone, if it's any comfort to you. But that won't make you any less dead."

Ride paranoid, and throw out any concept of 'right of way'. Because your body doesn't know or care the difference when you're in a hospital bed, all jacked up.
better yet just sell the bike and sit at home on the couch all day.....
Old 05-04-2013, 12:04 AM   #73
Tiller

Bike(s):
00 TL1000R
03 RC51
81 GS1100E
05 RM125
11 Ninja 250R

Our roads sucks! Years ago I when I was in Colorado Springs I noticed that many of the major roads all had controlled access into and out of gas stations, shopping malls, strip centers, fast food and etc. So there were not driveways everywhere and not a driveway 200 feet from a major intersection.

Hope your surgery goes well.
Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:06 AM   #74
darranwil
Rev_Psilocybe

Bike(s):
2004 Buell Xb12s
2002 Buell Blast-(sold)
87 Honda Rebel 450 (sold)

Member Garage

My motto.

Every time I ride I take "my life" in "my hands". If I get in a wreck, and it was someone else's fault, it's still my fault for not protecting myself and allowing it to happen. Bikes are cheap, bodies are not.

rev
Old 05-04-2013, 12:08 AM   #75
darranwil
Rev_Psilocybe

Bike(s):
2004 Buell Xb12s
2002 Buell Blast-(sold)
87 Honda Rebel 450 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Everybody is an expert on the Internet
Amen.

If you argue with someone on the internet and win, you're still an idiot.

rev
Old 05-04-2013, 12:17 AM   #76
Lexxi_TegK24

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
07 600rr

+1 on the attorney

Call Mark Morasch
713-880-1118
Lexxi_TegK24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:26 AM   #77
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by darranwil View Post
My motto.

Every time I ride I take "my life" in "my hands". If I get in a wreck, and it was someone else's fault, it's still my fault for not protecting myself and allowing it to happen. Bikes are cheap, bodies are not.

rev
Call me naive ,, call me a noob. I have a hard time with this whole "I should have protected my self better bru-haha". If you gear up, are riding responsible, and cruising down the road why take the attitude that you being a more careful rider is going to stop from happening. I may be new to riding bikes but I have done some pretty intense riding on atv's flipped, hit trees, went over the bars ..etc all my fault .. I was taking it to the edge. If you are doing 120+ down the road, riding wheelies, lane splitting 18-wheelers .. you are taking it to the edge and if go down its on you.

That being said, I am paranoid as with all these cars .. should I have to be ... No. I have accepted the fact so I will ride like everyone does not see me because most of the time they do not. I think there should be a higher penalty for taking down a motorcycle. These people just throw out their insurance card and get a ticket. The rider takes a beating and goes to the hospital. Will it change probably not but I just cant wrap my head around the attitude of "you should have been able to read the mind of the dumb about to pull out in front of you and ready to defy the art of physics with some Matrix like to get out of the way".

My License gives me the right to the road just like every other person out there. It does not say "you can ride just beware the cars on the road have the right of way dont get ran over".

Hope the OP heals up and gets back out soon.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:36 AM   #78
Cupial

Bike(s):
2008 Kawasaki ninja 250
2011 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy76 View Post
Call me naive ,, call me a noob. I have a hard time with this whole "I should have protected my self better bru-haha". If you gear up, are riding responsible, and cruising down the road why take the attitude that you being a more careful rider is going to stop from happening. I may be new to riding bikes but I have done some pretty intense riding on atv's flipped, hit trees, went over the bars ..etc all my fault .. I was taking it to the edge. If you are doing 120+ down the road, riding wheelies, lane splitting 18-wheelers .. you are taking it to the edge and if go down its on you.

That being said, I am paranoid as with all these cars .. should I have to be ... No. I have accepted the fact so I will ride like everyone does not see me because most of the time they do not. I think there should be a higher penalty for taking down a motorcycle. These people just throw out their insurance card and get a ticket. The rider takes a beating and goes to the hospital. Will it change probably not but I just cant wrap my head around the attitude of "you should have been able to read the mind of the dumb about to pull out in front of you and ready to defy the art of physics with some Matrix like to get out of the way".

My License gives me the right to the road just like every other person out there. It does not say "you can ride just beware the cars on the road have the right of way dont get ran over".

Hope the OP heals up and gets back out soon.
Couldn't have said it any better my friend
Cupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:51 AM   #79
Cupial

Bike(s):
2008 Kawasaki ninja 250
2011 Triumph Daytona 675

1.) I wasn't exiting the highway. I was coming from 2920
2.) The speed limit there is 40. I was going about 50
3.) The stopedd in my lane. Do you not see how much room she had to enter into her lane
4.)you weren't there. Some of you guys act like you're all experts of the road. Its ridiculous to be honest.
5.) One of you said look how slow it took the other drivers to apporoach. No sherlock they just saw a wreck happen infront of thei eyes. Of.course they're going to slow down.

Some of you guys are just quick too quick to judge
Cupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:00 AM   #80
rednwitecbr250

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupial View Post
1.) I wasn't exiting the highway. I was coming from 2920
2.) The speed limit there is 40. I was going about 50
3.) The stopedd in my lane. Do you not see how much room she had to enter into her lane
4.)you weren't there. Some of you guys act like you're all experts of the road. Its ridiculous to be honest.
5.) One of you said look how slow it took the other drivers to apporoach. No sherlock they just saw a wreck happen infront of thei eyes. Of.course they're going to slow down.

Some of you guys are just quick too quick to judge
Yeah this thread is getting out of control. Hope your surgery goes well.

Advertisement